Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,244 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:31 AM

Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? (1164 Views)

Pro-Biafra Supporter Buried With Biafran Flag In Abia (Photos) / See The Original Design Of The Nigerian National Flag. / Bakassi Hoists National Flag, Sets Up Radio Station (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by kutchs: 2:04pm On Jan 04, 2013
I have observed with displeasure a growing trend and culture among Nigerians which is the public display of US flag in Nigeria.
You see it especially displayed in cars alongside the national flag of Nigeria but sometimes on its own.
Do Americans display the Nigerian flag the way we do here? Does it make any sense?
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by Abbey2sam(m): 2:52pm On Jan 04, 2013
I don't know why nigerians display america national flag in nigeria,becuz I believe they wil not be displaying our own over there,though I've not been there before.

Or is it becuz they are the world power?
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by Abbey2sam(m): 2:53pm On Jan 04, 2013
I don't know why nigerians display america national flag in nigeria,becuz I believe they wil not be displaying our own over there,though I've not been there before.

Or is it becuz they are the world power?

Or do other countries does the same?
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by omenka(m): 3:54pm On Jan 04, 2013
Slave mentality and inferiority complex. The churches are most guilty of this.
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by 2legit2qwt: 4:12pm On Jan 04, 2013
Have you thought about the possibility that these people could have some connections with America in some way?

Maybe an American? Dual citizen? Or maybe the spouse is a proud American? Or an American veteran?

Outside of these types of connections, displaying the flag of a country you have no allegiance to is plain stupidity.
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by Afam4eva(m): 5:17pm On Jan 04, 2013
omenka: Slave mentality and inferiority complex. The churches are most guilty of this.
GBAM
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jan 04, 2013
omenka: Slave mentality and inferiority complex. The churches are most guilty of this.
very annoying especially the so called ones that put international in front of their church name.
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by 2legit2qwt: 5:36pm On Jan 04, 2013
If we're talking about organizations such as a church or international agencies, I don't think anything is wrong with it especially if they have representatives from different countries. Churches in America and England put up flags of other countries even without representations sometimes.
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by Afam4eva(m): 5:38pm On Jan 04, 2013
2legit2qwt: If we're talking about organizations such as a church or international agencies, I don't think anything is wrong with it especially if they have representatives from different countries. Churches in America and England put up flags of other countries even without representations sometimes.
We're talking of individuals who probably never crossed the shores of Nigeria.
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by 2legit2qwt: 5:46pm On Jan 04, 2013
afam4eva:
We're talking of individuals who probably never crossed the shores of Nigeria.

Seems like some form of identity problem, too many Hollywood movies/music.
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by DuduNegro: 6:25pm On Jan 04, 2013
in china such persons will get their heads hacked off in public as a lesson to other unpatriotic demons who might be nursing the idea.

we need a stern leader who is not afraid to hack heads.

1 Like

Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by zerocool(m): 6:52pm On Jan 04, 2013
As if it is pride to be a Nigerian.
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by DuduNegro: 6:56pm On Jan 04, 2013
zerocool: As if it is pride to be a Nigerian.

the pride is not at issue; the flagrant insult needs to be summarily dealt with!
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by Duru1(m): 6:57pm On Jan 04, 2013
@OP

I do not know the degree of public display of USA flag the poster indicated in the post. However, in USA a person can display the flag of his\her home country in a car or even mount the flag on a car.
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by DuduNegro: 7:07pm On Jan 04, 2013
Duru1: @OP

I do not know the degree of public display of USA flag the poster indicated in the post. However, in USA a person can display the flag of his\her home country in a car or even mount the flag on a car.

....very true, but at risk! it only takes one redneck jackass to interpret it as a communist takeover....and bullets will be ringing. americans are uneducated about global affairs and cant tell the difference between nigerian flag and communist flag + your assailant may go free and not be imprisoned if he has been on any prescription medicine for anxiety, schizo, rls, res....or any similar syndrome. now, i am yet to encounter an american that doesnt have one syndrome or another.

so net-net, you risk getting hacked off in america as you do in china for flyig foreign flag.
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by TonySpike: 7:30pm On Jan 04, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

....very true, but at risk! it only takes one redneck jackass to interpret it as a communist takeover....and bullets will be ringing. americans are uneducated about global affairs and cant tell the difference between nigerian flag and communist flag + your assailant may go free and not be imprisoned if he has been on any prescription medicine for anxiety, schizo, rls, res....or any similar syndrome. now, i am yet to encounter an american that doesnt have one syndrome or another.

so net-net, you risk getting hacked off in america as you do in china for flyig foreign flag.

Dudu, which one is worse?

(1) Flying an American flag
(2) Flying a Biafran flag (I've seen this in many places in Eastern Nigeria)
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by KnowAll(m): 7:48pm On Jan 04, 2013
The displaying of American flags in Nigeria would hasten an American Invasion of Nigeria. If they were to invades us today, many of our soldiers will down their weapons and embrace d invaders knowing fullly well that being an An American citizen by d not too clued up Nigerian is like been welcomed into d gates of Heaven. cry
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by ODUANEGRO: 7:49pm On Jan 04, 2013
Tony Spike:

Dudu, which one is worse?

(1) Flying an American flag
(2) Flying a Biafran flag (I've seen this in many places in Eastern Nigeria)

i will hack off the head of any person i catch flying american flag anywhere on the soil.

now, if i catch anyone, biafran or not, fly a biafran flag anywhere on yoruba soil i will tie him down like i will tie a ram and cut him up like i will cut a ram open. biafran flag is for Biafra, not for yorubaland, period! lets not get it mixed up.
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by seunfly: 9:12pm On Jan 04, 2013
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jan 04, 2013
Inferiority complex.
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jan 04, 2013
zerocool: As if it is pride to be a Nigerian.

Oh I'm proud to be Nigerian as are most of us here. If YOU are not, kindly get the hell out of the country and stop living off our resources, and if you're already out, STAY OUT.
Re: Public Display Of US National Flag In Nigeria: Does It Make Any Sense? by manny4life(m): 11:44pm On Jan 04, 2013
It's not inferiority complex. Here in VA, I've seen British flags, even flags from other South America nations flying alongside American flags. It's the dual citizen mentality.

(1) (Reply)

Jigawa Farmers Decry Herdsmen’s Activities, Warn Of Imminent Clashes / Result Of Randy Senator And His Urge / President Jonathan With Obama And Michelle After Dinner (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.