Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,875 members, 7,821,050 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment (26450 Views)

The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention / Maduike Ezeibe Claims He Cures HIV/AIDS / Nigeria’s Maurice Iwu, Others Record Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jan 05, 2013
FXKing2012:

I forgot to add Prof Akunyili, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (author of purple hibiscus), kanu nwankwo (most decorated African footballer), Soludo (best cbn governor), Okorocha (best state governor), FXKing2012 (the best forex trader), the list is endless.

If u are jealous pls visit Lagos lagoon.

Thanks my brother. Please always remember to mention the Igbo greatest: Late professor Gordian Obumneme Ezekwe. The mechanical engineering professor, behind most of the Biafran homegrown inventions during the war. Indeed, He shocked the world. After the war, the United States had to send a private jet to bring him to the country to know how he got the knowledge.
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Shaw007(m): 12:11pm On Jan 05, 2013
Knowledge9000:

Typical yoruba. By their fruits you shall know them.
No sir I'm Edo,and there was actually Nothing sinister about that post,i was truLy happy and apprasing Prof Iwu!

Just Look beyond the tribaLism man,I'm not --besides,I'm NeutraL!

3 Likes

Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by ACM10: 12:12pm On Jan 05, 2013
Knowledge9000:

My friend you don't expect them to post us a medical journal of the research with all the medical jargons in it. We don't have time for all that my friend and most of us wouldn't understand and have no interest in all that. If you are educated you would know that when you relay a scholarly information to a lame person, you do as much as you can to convey such message in a way that they will understand. If you want to see results of how placebo compares to the actual med, go to the medical journal sites.

I know that Nigerians love mediocrity. That's why you fell hook, line and sinker for this shoddy report. Instead of attacking the journalist who wrote the report, you are pointing your gun at me who tried to do some constructive criticism. Now I know why many Nigerians fell for Abalaka scam. All the reports of any new drug discovery contains some excerpt of its performance during clinical trial when compared with placebo and the mechanism of action of such drug. This is not a medical journal. I'm embarrassed by your comment. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Ryannn(m): 12:17pm On Jan 05, 2013
cramjones: The topic is also very deceptive "Breakthrough in HIV/AIDS Treatment" Crofelemer is meant for secretory diarreah which HIV/AIDS patients may have as part of the opportunistic infections affectingt he GI. This does not mean it is a breakthrough in HIV treatment as the headline stated. It is not a HIV drug...it can be used for non-HIV patients that has secretory diarroeah
HIV associated diarrhoea.. Can't u read? Olodo!of course its a break through
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jan 05, 2013
ACM10:

I know that Nigerians love mediocrity. That's why you fell hook, line and sinker for this shoddy report. Instead of attacking the journalist who wrote the report, you are pointing your gun at me who tried to do some constructive criticism. Now I know why many Nigerians fell for Abalaka scam. All the reports of any new drug discovery contains some excerpt of its performance during clinical trial when compared with placebo and the mechanism of action of such drug. This is not a medical journal. I'm embarrassed by your comment. embarassed

Please don't resort to chewbacca defense mechanism to obfuscate the point I was making. I want us to have a rational discussion with facts established. Point out on my post where I said "This is a medical journal"? Let me quote myself verbatim again and you can verify from my post..." My friend you don't expect them to post us a medical journal of the research with all the medical jargons in it." Now, where did your statement in "bold" come from? Learn to comprehend before you take a jibe at someone.
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Willy7(m): 12:22pm On Jan 05, 2013
Wow,this is great news.Talk about identifying ur area of specialty and making tremendous and global impact.Not some misplaced priority of an inec chairman and getting involve in some shady deals to soil ur reputation thereby cresting ur name as one of d destroyers of democracy.Kudos to the prof.Thanks for putting our country on the world map as one country with great potentials and force to reckon with.God bless you Sir.You just redeemed ur battered image with this.More greese to ur elbow.
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jan 05, 2013
So something good can come out of Iwu ? There is hope then.
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by pat077: 12:27pm On Jan 05, 2013
INEC career
Iwu was appointed INEC
commissioner for Imo State in
August 2003 by President
Olusegun Obasanjo based on his
RIGGING skills. In June 2005, he
succeeded Abel Guobadia as
Chairman of INEC. Soon after
being appointed, Iwu announced
that foreign monitors would not
be allowed during elections, but
only foreign election observers.
This decision was condemned by
politicians and civil society
groups who called for his
immediate removal from office.
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jan 05, 2013
Ryannn: HIV associated diarrhoea.. Can't u read? Olodo!of course its a break through

Its a waste of time and energy, ranting with people who do not understand anything about medicine, yet claiming they know. I need not tell you who I am and what my expertise is. However this is a public forum and I maintain that this is not "breakthrough" in HIV treatment...It is a break through in secretory diarreah treatment which happens to occur in HIV. It is a misleading headline...when you use the term "HIV treatment" what comes to the mind of both health professionals and laymen is a drug that has an effect on the retro virus.

1 Like

Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by ACM10: 12:32pm On Jan 05, 2013
@Knowledge9000,

Your handle should be rightly replaced with Ignorance9000. You are not more Igbo than me. But we need to remove our tribal lens when approaching this issue. Health discoveries subject itself to scientific protocols. We may never know who may be on the receiving end of this drug if it turns out to be a scam. Below is a news article on the announcement of HIV drug - Truvada by a media outlet.

Truvada approved by FDA as first HIV-prevention pill

CBS News
(CBS News) Truvada has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration as the first pill to prevent HIV.

Gilead Sciences' Truvada has been taken by people over 12 with human immunodeficiency virus in conjunction with other antiretroviral drugs since it was first approved by the FDA in 2004. The new approval applies in combination with safer sex practices for preventative use in healthy individuals who are at a high risk for HIV or who may have sex with HIV-positive partners.

Truvada for HIV prevention backed by advisory panel, FDA may decide by June
HIV advocates say Truvada could save lives
Once-daily Quad HIV pill an effective and safe alternative to multiple-pill regimens, study shows

"Today's approval marks an important milestone in our fight against HIV," FDA Commissioner Dr. Margaret A. Hamburg said in a press release. "Every year, about 50,000 U.S. adults and adolescents are diagnosed with HIV infection, despite the availability of prevention methods and strategies to educate, test, and care for people living with the disease. New treatments as well as prevention methods are needed to fight the HIV epidemic in this country."

In the announcement, the FDA strongly recommended against Truvada's use to prevent disease transmission in individuals who may already have HIV.

The most common side effects reported with Truvada were diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, headache and weight loss. Serious side effects were uncommon.

In May, a panel of expert advisers who make recommendations to the FDA voted to back Truvada's use for HIV prevention in healthy, high-risk individuals but the FDA was not bound to accept the panel's recommendation. The experts at the time questioned the drug's effectiveness for females, who have shown much lower rates of protection in the research.

Research showing Truvada may prevent HIV transmission first arose in 2010, when a government study found it cut infection risk in healthy gay and bisexual men by 42 percent, when accompanied by condoms and STD counseling. Another study found the pill may reduce HIV risk by 75 percent among heterosexual couples in which one partner is infected with the virus. Some doctors had already been prescribing Truvada off-label for HIV prevention.

Following the FDA advisory panel's initial recommendation in May, some HIV advocates hailed the announcement as "nearing a watershed moment in our fight against HIV."http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57473116-10391704/truvada-approved-by-fda-as-first-hiv-prevention-pill/
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by paris10: 12:34pm On Jan 05, 2013
Check my post on HIV cure few months ago. This ain't news at all. I already mentioned the politics and fraud involved in HIV disease and its cure.

The cure already existed b4 the discovery of this disease by the world. The acclaimed latest cure would enrich US the more.
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jan 05, 2013
ACM10: @Knowledge900,

Your handle should be rightly replaced with Ignorance900. You are not more Igbo than me. But we need to remove our tribal lens when approaching this issue. Health discoveries subject itself to scientific protocols. We may never know who may be on the receiving end of this drug if it turns out to be a scam. Below is the news article on the announcement of HIV drug - Truvada by a media outlet.

I try not to respond to comments that come no where to the vicinity of reason. Please!
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by vanstanzy(m): 12:35pm On Jan 05, 2013
Shaw007: I remember when this Nigerian Electrical engineer was made VC in ILLinois,the Ondo gUy.
and someone was saying he shouLd be brought back 2 Naija 2 head that sector here,

. . .i thinK we'v seen enough from Iwu,okonjo,bankoLe and sanusi who were all drafted back!

And its just best that they stay there and Let their smartness be miLked by people who vaLue them,instead of them being brought back here and converted to corrupt poLiticains that they were not from the start!

God bless u! U talk well. No be some ganja smoking tribalist wey go come here begin throway nonsense.
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Originalsly: 12:40pm On Jan 05, 2013
Not so fast.....just for treatment of diarrhea in AIDS victims. I guess the sap feom the teee would be more effective despite what they say......just like using marijuana/weed is more effective in treating glaucoma than the prescribed medication which is a lab imitation of marijuana.
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by vanstanzy(m): 12:40pm On Jan 05, 2013
danny301:

Tribal bigot like you, when he was rigging election and destroying the beauty of democracy in Nigeria you did not bring tribe into it but now that something good is being attached to his name you are talking rubbish.....

Na wa o! Na so life be? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Tribalism is tearing our beloved Nigeria to shreds, if u don't know. Can't we look beyond our nose for once, Ehn?
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by FXKing2012(m): 12:44pm On Jan 05, 2013
Here is a list of Igbos laundering the image of Nigeria and helping Nigeria to be respected within the international community:

Okonjo Iweala (World Bank VP and best finance minister), Ezekwesili (World Bank president for Africa), Prof Chinue Achebe (best Nigerian author and author of the best selling African novel), Prof Maurice Iwu (developer of HIV treatment drug), Don Jazzy (best African music producer), Chidinma (best African female singer), P.Square (best African music group), Flavour (best Nigerian male singer), Prof Akunyili (best NAFDAC DG), Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (author of Purple Hibiscus and winner of multiple literary awards), Kanu Nwankwo (most decorated African footballer of all time), Soludo (best CBN governor), Okorocha (best state governor), FXKing2012 (best forex trader), etc etc.

Now, question is shouldn't Nigeria be more grateful to Igbos?
www.nairaland.com/1152207/should-nigeria-grateful-igbos
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by ACM10: 12:47pm On Jan 05, 2013
FXKing2012: Without boring you with the input of great Igbos such as Azikiwe, Mbadiwe, etc in the struggle for independence, here is a list of Igbos laundering the image of Nigeria and helping Nigeria to be respected within the international community:

Okonjo Iweala (World Bank VP and best finance minister), Ezekwesili (World Bank president for Africa), Prof Chinue Achebe (best Nigerian author and author of the best selling African novel), Prof Maurice Iwu (developer of HIV treatment drug), Don Jazzy (best African music producer), Chidinma (best African female singer), P.Square (best African music group), Flavour (best Nigerian male singer), Prof Akunyili (best NAFDAC DG), Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (author of Purple Hibiscus and winner of multiple literary awards), Kanu Nwankwo (most decorated African footballer of all time), Soludo (best CBN governor), Okorocha (best state governor), FXKing2012 (best forex trader), etc etc.

Now, question is shouldn't Nigeria be more grateful to Igbos?
www.nairaland.com/1152207/should-nigeria-grateful-igbos
For God's sake, this is unnecessary; and is annoying. sad
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jan 05, 2013
ACM10:

I've been reading through your comments with a great deal of interest. One common denominator associated with all of them is your in-build, pent-up and relentless huff for anything related to the achievements of the Igbos. Why don't you allow other people to freely express their first amendment...

Besides, I think you are a pathological bigot and intentionally red herring this post.
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jan 05, 2013
NOIBMUUL:

And you think they've not found a cure for HIV yet? Or someone hasn't thought of isolating an immune serum from an ape? Young man, the American government won't release the cure, at least to the public. No they won't. The money is in the comeback medicine, and not in the cure. They'll rather disclose and announce drugs that will manage and patch the virus than release the cure. Be wise. The world is not a simple as we see it. Stay sharp!
bros virus/viruses dont have any cure, they run phases and disappear.why hiv is so bad is dat we r yet to acertain what will actual expedite its phase without taking the life of the person affected and i want to asure u dat i am walking towards achieving such goals. If we can establish a vaccine for dis virus dat will be ok then we must also invents drugs dat will catalyse d phase of hiv and keep the individual alive during the active phase of the virus. Believe me wat prof iwu and co has done is highly commendable but i insist that the solution lies in obtaining sera from apes. Just cross ur fingers and give me some months or years
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 05, 2013
[quote
author=ACM10]I hate Nigerian medical journalists. I can't extract any
useful medical information from this report.
I would want to know about the mechanism of action of the drug; how it
performed in clinical trial when compared with placebo; etc.
The information they supplied is grossly insufficient.[/quote]

U tink u are intelligent? U want to know d mechanism of action of an emerging drug on pages of newspaper or probably a tabloid? Why not also request for the active ingredients? Dont even know what kind of person u are.
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jan 05, 2013
kaorama:

U tink u are intelligent? U want to know d mechanism of action of an emerging drug on pages of newspaper or probably a tabloid? Why not also request for the active ingredients? Dont even know what kind of person u are.

Thanks my intelligent brother. That's what I was trying to convey to him ( knucklehead...ACM10) to simply go and look in the pharmacological journal some where online for any specifics. Newspapers by default are meant to convey information to be understood by everyone...both educated and uneducated. If you want research related information, go to medical/pharmacological journal.
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by FXKing2012(m): 1:03pm On Jan 05, 2013
ACM10:

Ethnic bigot.
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by bigjo: 1:11pm On Jan 05, 2013
Let us learn how to respect. I always said it here Nigeria will get better when the heart of our young youth start to think positively.the men is busy making name for himself why the jobless men and women is in nairaland making noise
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Emfash(m): 1:13pm On Jan 05, 2013
The fact that Maurice Iwu's name is associated with the drug puts its credibility in doubt,at least in Nigeria. That's the price he has to pay for his tainted reputation and lying lips.

1 Like

Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by gbadexy(m): 1:17pm On Jan 05, 2013
The man is an accomplished research scientist.
I have watched an extensive documentaries on his works well before he worked as INEC chairman.
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by merengue: 1:30pm On Jan 05, 2013
FXKing2012:

I forgot to add Prof Akunyili, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (author of purple hibiscus), kanu nwankwo (most decorated African footballer), Soludo (best cbn governor), Okorocha (best state governor), FXKing2012 (the best forex trader), the list is endless.

If u are jealous pls visit Lagos lagoon.

Now the bolded ones really cracked me up grin grin grin grin. If Rochas is the best governor, Nigeria has gone to the dogs. And in which alternate universe is Kanu is more decorated than Samuel Eto "O" Fils? As for the last one, stop sniffing gutter fumes, it addles the wits.

1 Like

Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Menendez: 1:31pm On Jan 05, 2013
All this wahala....just for not wearing condom....human beings sef.

1 Like

Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by drake2(m): 1:45pm On Jan 05, 2013
All u need 2 know about a particular diarrhea in HIV/AIDS patients, crofelemer(fulyzag) and d procceses leading 2 drug approval can be found at FDA website.
Prof. was part of d procceses leading 2 d development of d indegenous knowledge of people of d Amazons into ds botanical product.
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Biafrarep(m): 2:01pm On Jan 05, 2013
OsunOriginal:

That pathetic election rigger initiating a medical research?
Can a fool (like you) be wise? How could you quote the whole write up only for you to make a senseless sentence? Who told you that he is the same person as former INEC boss? Even if he is, does it make the outcome of their research invalid? Get a life, you are the one who is pathetic!
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by dejijohns(m): 2:09pm On Jan 05, 2013
Shey na d Maurice Iwu wey I sabi(INEC) abi na anoda 1, cos if na INEC Iwu, Lab observers gas double check d xperimental results, cos d guy fit don rigg d Lab result oo...
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by FXKing2012(m): 2:15pm On Jan 05, 2013
why is everybody assuming itz thesame Maurice Iwu of INEC?
There are many Maurice Iwus in the south east
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by vanstanzy(m): 2:17pm On Jan 05, 2013
Knowledge9000:

Thanks my brother. Please always remember to mention the Igbo greatest: Late professor Gordian Obumneme Ezekwe. The mechanical engineering professor, behind most of the Biafran homegrown inventions during the war. Indeed, He shocked the world. After the war, the United States had to send a private jet to bring him to the country to know how he got the knowledge.

Na so e be! grin grin grin grin grin STANDING OVATION!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Avoid A Gas Explosion: 5 Tips That Can Save Your Life. / Fake Doctor Arrested In Oyo Over Life Threatening Abortion (photo) / Magical Steps On How To Grow Beard Faster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.