Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,442 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately (26955 Views)

Have You Checked Your Microwave For Radiation Lately? / Money Given To A Wife By Her Husband Is Called What.. / Man Returns To Children He Abandoned For Eight Years (With Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jan 14, 2013
This is exceptional stupidity. We have gotten to the height of insensitivity totally and completely. I wish to ask those parents what they would have felt if their parents gave them such names. 'Dance' my God this is too much. Dance was my pick what was yours?
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by survival1(m): 1:21pm On Jan 14, 2013
biolabee: ^^^ ol boi/gal

U like money all d names get eze cheesy cheesy
Im not igbo bt 4rm wat i know Eze is a royal title nd has nothing 2 do wit money.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by tintingz(m): 1:25pm On Jan 14, 2013
Some parents will even go further naming their twins a social network like facebook and twitter grin grin

I trust my yoruba people they never name their children crap english names smiley 'i love God' 'angel is around' 'new world' what nonsense!
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by flow1759: 1:28pm On Jan 14, 2013
Guchis: Lol @ some names here. A distant cousin named her baby boy 'Momentum'. I mean who does that?!

I though I had heard it all until I visited my aunt in-law. Her neighbour's kids are named Enthronment and ENDOWMENT. You go fear names
Lol *singing d banj- am so endowed eeeh, call me Mr endowed eeeh* abeg dat endowed beta b a girl oh. Guys imagine ur babe bearing endowed and she is really endowed? boys go just dey say "dat endowed girl is so endowed" LOL
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by ginuwine: 1:34pm On Jan 14, 2013
in Edo dialect/language, the phrase 'the lord answer me' is OSAHENRUMWEN, 'it is well' in Esan dialect/language is OFURE. why give names dat wld make d child feel embarrassed, remember the child is suppose to be proud of u and nothing less.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by dilbert100: 2:09pm On Jan 14, 2013
there should be more dilberts grin
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jan 14, 2013
kaywiluv:
Augustus is a cool name cos dats my elder brothers name, I see u dnt like d name cos dey ask u meaning of ur name. Hmmmm too bad.
I knw u wld also name u children d things u cant acquire. LOL cheesy

I like the name, Some people do think am a catholic member, some think it's Italian/Vatican/roman name, so think am igbo, hehehe, so i enjoy looking at people wasting their time thinking about where am from.

1 Like

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 14, 2013
greatgod2012:

yes, o.....imagine, that "the Lord answer me" in yoruba is "oluwadamilohun", which has more meaning and weighty than d english version. Hhhhmmm, na dem sabi, as for me sha, na yoruba names all d way.....ade......., olu........., ola........, ope.....etc.
U no add ogun.. Ifa.. Sango.. Aye..
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jan 14, 2013
The worst names I've heard are"Rapture",If not God",Faithword"..I'm sure dat rapture will change dat names..wat of I'm blessed,breakthrough,more blessings.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by vivaciousvivi(f): 2:46pm On Jan 14, 2013
therese chizoba: I work in the bursary dept of a school and I marvel at the type of names I hear during registration.e.g costly,mybaby,shame,ability,resonance and Some very funny names I can't remember.don't really know wat goes on in some parents mind when naming their kids.

Hahahaha! R u serious "Shame" and "mybaby"?! Chei...my naija people!
I actually know someone called Sunshine. Thot it was a joke b4 o. But its her real name.
I have also heard of a child called Miracle. But "Signs" and "Wonders" Hahahaha!
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by papie123: 3:05pm On Jan 14, 2013
quote author=therese chizoba]I work in the bursary dept of a school and I marvel at the type of names I hear during registration.e.g costly,mybaby,shame,ability,resonance and Some very funny names I can't remember.don't really know wat goes on in some parents mind when naming their kids.[/quote]

haba!!SHAME,MYBABY COSTLY!!!!!!!! we know of ability.heard that b4 but dont go to the extreme cus you want to make your post sound cool.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Dagods(m): 3:13pm On Jan 14, 2013
smone i know named her child 'TOPIC' i was amazed earlier but she luvs it. But men i luv dat name (Nne-oma) Meaning; sweet mama am believing in God 4 a daughter.

1 Like

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by justinelov(m): 3:29pm On Jan 14, 2013
I know of Ministry and Missionary, I have 2 follow my neighbor 2 her school confirm, dey are nt of d same parents
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by seyiaro1: 4:02pm On Jan 14, 2013
My wedding is comin up in april. And by d grace of almighty God i will start bearing children begin from early next year. while am yoruba, my humble fiance is from the eastern part of our dear country...here are d names my unborn children will bear.....morayooluwa,oluwafisayo, somtochukwu and so on
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by tjskii(f): 4:21pm On Jan 14, 2013
papie123:

haba!!SHAME,MYBABY COSTLY!!!!!!!! we know of ability.heard that b4 but dont go to the extreme cus you want to make your post sound cool.

I can actualy vouch for MYBABY,personaly know someone bearing BABY,we call her aunty baby,thing is in her 40s,so I wudnt term BABY a new generation name undecided
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by hemama(f): 4:40pm On Jan 14, 2013
one of my friends name his son i don beta and goodluck
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Ogegod87: 4:51pm On Jan 14, 2013
I know of a 7yr old girl dat was xtened Jesus is Lord. dey cal her jil 4 short. very funny. But its not funny 2 me though.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Chuks4ever(m): 4:58pm On Jan 14, 2013
We are gradually derailing from our culture due to westernisation.My 2nd cousin is bearing...Chelsea!
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by niyimat(m): 5:24pm On Jan 14, 2013
touch_me_hard: Most of those funny names could have sounded better in native languages.

As for me, I'm giving my kids ROYAL names all the way:

Chimeremeze,
Chibueze,
Ezekwesili,
Okwesilieze,
Ojiugoeze.

those are beautiful names my brother.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by delishpot: 5:28pm On Jan 14, 2013
I know a boy named VOLTRON. For real o. I thought he was lying so I told him if you are voltron then I am super ted. The boy started crying. later, his uncle told me it was his real name and I got to see hiS school books et al.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Eifeh(m): 5:39pm On Jan 14, 2013
My uncle mother inlaw name her childrend Heritage and Estate
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by aduje(m): 5:46pm On Jan 14, 2013
What about names like:-

Dangote
Otedola
Arisekola
Abiola
Obasanjo
Anineh
Adenuga
Otudeko
Ibru
Otega
Elumelu
Omiyi
Tinubu
Fashola
Ade Ojo
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by dayokanu(m): 6:03pm On Jan 14, 2013
therese chizoba: I work in the bursary dept of a school and I marvel at the type of names I hear during registration.e.g costly,mybaby,shame,ability,resonance and Some very funny names I can't remember.don't really know wat goes on in some parents mind when naming their kids.

Why not name the kid ELASTICITY, ELECTROLYTE, CONJUNCTIVITIS

1 Like

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by rezzy: 6:05pm On Jan 14, 2013
adeaugustus:

I like the name, Some people do think am a catholic member, some think it's Italian/Vatican/roman name, so think am igbo, hehehe, so i enjoy looking at people wasting their time thinking about where am from.

Augustus is a nice name. I think its a Roman name. My brother even added Brown to his name so now, he is called AugustusBrown

2 Likes

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by baby124: 6:06pm On Jan 14, 2013
General
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Cooltemi: 6:11pm On Jan 14, 2013
D best name is... 'AKPOS'

1 Like

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jan 14, 2013
rezzy:
Augustus is a nice name. I think its a Roman name. My brother even added Brown to his name so now, he is called AugustusBrown
Yeah. It's a Roman Name... I added "Emrys" to my own, that's only on Facebook sha, I don't want my surname flying on the net.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by TeskyMan(m): 6:37pm On Jan 14, 2013
Una no go kill person, see as i dey laugh for office........
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by honeric01(m): 6:41pm On Jan 14, 2013
rezzy:

If i were your brother, i would have completed it by adding gordon to it.

imagine:

Ausutusgordonbrown. VERY whitish and oyinboish grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by bokohalal(m): 7:05pm On Jan 14, 2013
Then there is this one time Nigerian soccer player whose mother's name is 'Electric' .
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by eldagaius(m): 7:12pm On Jan 14, 2013
God Answer Me in igbo is simply Chizaram. I think its Inferiority complex. Since most people believe in the superiority of Oyibo. Me, I can't give my children foreign names unless these foreigners start to give their children Igbo names. We have very wonderful Nigerian names I wonder why Nigerians don't value our things.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by LausDeo(m): 7:33pm On Jan 14, 2013
eldagaius: God Answer Me in igbo is simply Chizaram. I think its Inferiority complex. Since most people believe in the superiority of Oyibo. Me, I can't give my children foreign names unless these foreigners start to give their children Igbo names. We have very wonderful Nigerian names I wonder why Nigerians don't value our things.
d thing is,even d whites dnt av diz stupid names.av u ever seen a white man bear Jesus is Lord? God is Good? the Lord answer me? It is well?...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? / Marry and Grow In Love Or Marry The Person You Love, Which One Is Better? / Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.