Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,065 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately (26954 Views)

Have You Checked Your Microwave For Radiation Lately? / Money Given To A Wife By Her Husband Is Called What.. / Man Returns To Children He Abandoned For Eight Years (With Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Exmay(m): 7:40pm On Jan 14, 2013
I'm just wondering how this Kids will fill their waec/neco/jamb form when they grow up... Remember this forms usually have limited number of spaces. I think waec is 23 or so... So how will a child with bearing a phrase or a sentence for a name manage... I have seen this name: 'shasha/ni/eniyan/to/feran/omo/naa'...(I invented the strokes so that you can pronounce the name)
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by BossLadyDiana(f): 8:05pm On Jan 14, 2013
A friend once narrated a story that really got me laughing, she went visiting a relative and on her way back there was an old woman involved in an accident, as she approached the entrance of the street standing face to face with the accident scene people called out to her "where the bible, where the bible" she wondered why they would look for a bible before taking her to the clinic Lo and behold a young man came running and people exclaimed thank God The Bible don com. my friend found out amidst serious laughter that "The Bible" was actually a person's name. Other funny names I heard in this past week are "Jimemeatu"abbreviated "memeatu" Chisimbi abbreviated "Simbi". Igbo people sabi give name sha!!! lol
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by HipsyDipsy(f): 9:23pm On Jan 14, 2013
Dis is soo funny. I've actually heard of pple naming deir children "preservation" and "Hilarious" nawa!

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jan 14, 2013
Heard of 'Essential' 'marvel' and 'perfection' indeed funny!
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by yogun(f): 9:36pm On Jan 14, 2013
Some Bayelsa pple de bear "government" etc
Cld dat bi their real name?
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by FlyboyZee: 9:38pm On Jan 14, 2013
I have met people who answer phrases like: "Praise Wonder"

And funny names like:
Miracle,
Forward,
Marine,
ThankGod Chrismas,
New Year,
Germany.

Names like Chelsea, Brandy, Liverpool, London, America, Chalton, etc are mostly borne by more elderly people probably in their fifties and older. Maybe at that time they were born, those were the names in vogue. Most folks who give their wards this very funny names like: Success, Favour, Destiny, Precious, Wealth, Miracle, Purity, etc are usually influenced by their Pastors. If you do a recall, you'll notice that most people acquired these names in the 2000 after Bishop David Oyedepo and his ilks started preaching about how your name affects your life. I can remember, almost every babe then started answering Favour, Blessing, Success, etc and started denouncing names like Linda, Endurance, etc. Now the emphasis has shifted from word names to phrase and clause names. Who say Pastors no dey try?
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jan 14, 2013
My sister in law lives in Ibadan,her Depper Life Yoruba neighbour named her first child Goodness,the 2nd,Mercy,people were wondering what the 3rd child was going to be called,Lo and Behold,they gave the chil 'shall follow me' ,d day my hubby told me I argued and said it was a blatant lie until we went to visit my sister in law and she actually confirmed it by calling the child in our presence. To me,dats pure madness
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by theresechizoba(f): 9:48pm On Jan 14, 2013
papie123:

haba!!SHAME,MYBABY COSTLY!!!!!!!! we know of ability.heard that b4 but dont go to the extreme cus you want to make your post sound cool.

I don't really need to go to an extreme cos of some names I hear just to make my post look cool.I beg of u watch ur typing attitude.
Some of this parents I do have discussions with to understand the reason behind their names and I get shocked hearing their reason.
If hyping ur post to make u look cool is what u do,pls don't conclude abt others based on that cos we all see a lot of funny things daily.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by BabaEto1: 10:16pm On Jan 14, 2013
[quote author=adeaugustus]
Yeah. It's a Roman Name... I added "Emrys" to my own, that's only on Facebook sha, I don't want my surname flying on the net.[/quote

And what is so special in ur surname that it " can not fly in the net" ?
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by ThoniaSlim(f): 10:44pm On Jan 14, 2013
This thread cracks me up! grin grin grin I really wonder what goes through the minds of these parents when they come up with such ridiculous names for their kids.

I'm glad my parents gave me nice names because I'll definitely have changed my names if I didn't like any of them.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by osifred(m): 1:06am On Jan 15, 2013
An ibo man gave birth to twins and named them praise and worship. Lol

1 Like

Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by remarkD(m): 6:12am On Jan 15, 2013
Was that funnier than "The Lord answer me"? and "Answer" for short? and the person who began to wonder when he/she heard someone's name was "Wonder"? am i the only one that burst into loud laughter at these two? That is one of the funniest things nairaland has done to me... not too many things make me laugh out loud, but this one was too much to holdin...

ok. @topic, y'all have said it already, those phrases are beautiful names in our trad. languages. Those names that cracked me up in Igbo could be .. "Chizam"? or I know someone named "Chizaram" (think its common, means) The Lord answered me.

As for "Wonder" .. i will have to join the other poster and wonder about this one too lol... in Igbo that could perhaps be... "Itunanya" (i made this up, but what keeps someone from grabbing it for his/her child...nothing as we have seen deja.)

Peace y'all.
blank:

Now, that was really funny.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Danielh(m): 6:27am On Jan 15, 2013
my pikin name must be obasanjo.. grin grin grin
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by journerman(m): 9:15am On Jan 15, 2013
yogun: Some Bayelsa pple de bear "government" etc
Cld dat bi their real name?

Bayelsa people are funny with names, I've seen people bearing "aunty", "america", "big boy"...etc
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by imotondo(m): 9:57am On Jan 15, 2013
Naijaphil: U av neva heard of the triplets named miracle, signs and wonders.
The worst i know though is harvesttime. Try and translate that into a nigerian language

lol...that one na disaster o grin grin
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by imotondo(m): 10:03am On Jan 15, 2013
Naijaphil: U av neva heard of the triplets named miracle, signs and wonders.
The worst i know though is harvesttime. Try and translate that into a nigerian language

in igbo language,miracle=oluebube,signs=Ihe iriba ama, wonders=ihe mgbanwoju anya,harvesttime=oge owuwe ihe ubi.....hillarious.I LOVE NAIRA. grin
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by imotondo(m): 10:21am On Jan 15, 2013
torhuke:
U no add ogun.. Ifa.. Sango.. Aye..

hehehe grin
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by imotondo(m): 10:40am On Jan 15, 2013
I once approached a girl and she told me her name is ''am blessed'' .i thought she was joking and made fun of it.she was angry and left,weeks later,i was with some friends when she passed so one of my frnds greeted her by that name,i felt sorry about how i treated her the other day but couldn't call herr to tell her...whenever i remember the incedent,i will just LOL.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Nobody: 11:50am On Jan 15, 2013
A friend's child is called GARIM, an abbreviation for God's Annointing Rests in Me

A cousin just gave birth on New Yrs day, Baby's name is 'Lifted'

I'm igbo and I cherish sweet igbo names
Chizitera - God sent
Mma - beauty
Somadina- may I never be alone
Esomchukwu/Esomchi - I'm following God
I used to love Kosisochukwu & Kamsiyochukwu but its become too common these days. Every igbo family has a Kosi or Kamsi, and like my friend will say, she's yet to meet a Kosi that's not stubborn! Lol
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Daresh(f): 12:11pm On Jan 15, 2013
rianah: My sister in law lives in Ibadan,her Depper Life Yoruba neighbour named her first child Goodness,the 2nd,Mercy,people were wondering what the 3rd child was going to be called,Lo and Behold,they gave the chil 'shall follow me' ,d day my hubby told me I argued and said it was a blatant lie until we went to visit my sister in law and she actually confirmed it by calling the child in our presence. To me,dats pure madness

Abeg you, no take laff kii mi grin grin grin grin
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by THEPOLY11: 12:34pm On Jan 15, 2013
There is nothing link bandele , it is called Omo Bami dele or Ola Bami dele , is already a phrase or sentence , is not new ..... whatever you name your child is good so far it is from good thinking , because good thinking will provide a good product.

Ile lan wo ka to s'omo lo'ruko....for me Oluwa dara si mi, Oluwa se mi lore and oluwa dunmi ninu.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jan 15, 2013
imotondo:

In igbo language
Miracle = oluebube
Signs = Ihe iriba ama
Wonders = Ihe mgbanwoju anya
Harvesttime = Oge owuwe ihe ubi.....hillarious. I LOVE NAIRALAND. grin

Hahahahhahahahahhahahahahaahahhahaaha. . . Very funny translations. You remind me of the Ibo bible my parents used to teach us to read when we were kids.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by KAYCEEJUNIOR(m): 1:45pm On Jan 15, 2013
biolabee: ^^^ ol boi/gal

U like money all d names get eze cheesy cheesy
SO FOR UNA LANGUAGE....EZE MEANS MONI,EEHH MADAM?
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by ollybosieb: 3:18pm On Jan 15, 2013
My neighbours named their children..... Wisdom...Everfirst..... forward and winner.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Eve4eva(f): 8:23pm On Oct 27, 2014
I know of a woman who named her kids (4 boys) covenant,great, david and man of peace.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by lawlahbammy(f): 8:57pm On Oct 27, 2014
Some names no go fit enter OMR sheet for waec...... Smh in slow motion.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by stephnina0(f): 6:45pm On Mar 26, 2015
My inlaws tenants gave their kids "God's Power" and "King David" They call him"Power" for short.I just wonder where they get these names from when we have such lovely native names. My son's name is Kobimdi and my daughter will be Chizitera
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by BAMMZ(m): 8:38am On Dec 26, 2017
I just heard of "Praise Adonai".
Na wah o.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by sisisioge: 10:56am On Dec 26, 2017
BAMMZ:
I just heard of "Praise Adonai".

Na wah o.

You never hear Clentus? You see a cute baby with an unbelievable name and just want to punch their parents in the face grin grin
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Nobody: 12:48pm On Dec 26, 2017
sisisioge:

You never hear Clentus? You see a cute baby with an unbelievable name and just want to punch their parents in the face grin grin

boniface, bobo, aboy, sule, mufu, dodo, kokomma, tawa.
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by sisisioge: 3:21pm On Dec 26, 2017
plavic:

boniface, bobo, aboy, sule, mufu, dodo, kokomma, tawa.

Bobo is a nickname just as Sisi is.

Sule is a lazy short for Sulaiman. It is actually a nice name.

Mufu is another laze short for Muftau/Muftiat. This is a beautiful Islamic name too.

Dodo is a short form for a clan Oriki(if u aren't Yoruba you won't understand grin). Dodondawa is used to praise the Sarumi Family in Ijebu Ode tongue. I have a gf from the clan.

Tawakalitu...is a very beautiful Muslim name. Tawakalitu mo bo lon duro. I had a gf in school that bears that name. She's got the most beautiful dark skin I've ever seen in my life....she got wicked eyes to match wink
Re: Names Given To Children In Nigeria Lately by Nobody: 4:02pm On Dec 26, 2017
sisisioge:

Bobo is a nickname just as Sisi is.

Sule is a lazy short for Sulaiman. It is actually a nice name.

Mufu is another laze short for Muftau/Muftiat. This is a beautiful Islamic name too.

Dodo is a short form for a clan Oriki(if u aren't Yoruba you won't understand grin). Dodondawa is used to praise the Sarumi Family in Ijebu Ode tongue. I have a gf from the clan.

Tawakalitu...is a very beautiful Muslim name. Tawakalitu mo bo lon duro. I had a gf in school that bears that name. She's got the most beautiful dark skin I've ever seen in my life....she got wicked eyes to match wink
Lol. . . Those names sounded funny to me. .. P.S: You skipped Boniface.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? / Marry and Grow In Love Or Marry The Person You Love, Which One Is Better? / Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.