Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,667 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:48 PM

Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. (8314 Views)

Possible Career Path For A Physics Graduate / Advice On Career As An Architect In Nigeria / Career Path To Becoming A Diplomat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by Nobody: 10:38am On Jan 07, 2013
Hello,

I need your help on which of my career path to build upon. I graduated from the university with a degree in Agriculatural Economics and Extension.

I am also a self taught web programmer here is the website I'm currently working on (www./hxYfU) - although still under development. I have some other sites that I have finished and are online.

In some few months I will an executive board member of a small(atleast for now) company, and my roles will include, Director of IT (

- Hiring and firing of people who work in that department...including Programmers, Networkers, Graphic Designers and other ad-hoc staffs

- Management of budget to my depatment, and preparation of monthly financial expenditure for the department.. )

Also, I will be working in other areas of the company's venture. e.g information gathering, project evaluation and analysis, book writing, printing, real estate and farming - I wont be the head off the sections I just mentioned, but will be an active team member.

First, I am thinking of getting PMP certification as soon as possible, then go for MBA in a reputable university. I have left out IT certification in my planning.

Please, what will you advice I do ?

Am I making the right decisions ?

Are there other certifications that will add value to me and to the company now and in the future that I am not thinking of?

Thank you for your time and patience.
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by yamakuza: 8:19am On Jan 08, 2013
to your 2nd question: yes, you are.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by Nobody: 8:26am On Jan 08, 2013
yamakuza: to your 2nd question: yes, you are.

Thank you.
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by krestup: 8:28am On Jan 12, 2013
dotobo, what i think is that you want to be a jack of all trade, although it's good because no knowledge is a waste. But i think you should do is ask yourself this question.

1. What i am doing now, is it something i would like to do for the rest of my life? (if you answer is yes, continue developing yourself in that area but if your answer is NO, then ask yourself question 2)

2. What is that thing you would like to spend the rest of your life doing?

A career is just like marriage union because it require a long term commitment. So if you are not passionate about what you want to do or become then you won't have enough motivation to drive you to the end. Also when you are trying to answer question 2, access your strength, weakness, values, interests, personality and skill. This could help put you on a career to build.

5 Likes

Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jan 12, 2013
krestup: dotobo, what i think is that you want to be a jack of all trade, although it's good because no knowledge is a waste. But i think you should do is ask yourself this question.

1. What i am doing now, is it something i would like to do for the rest of my life? (if you answer is yes, continue developing yourself in that area but if your answer is NO, then ask yourself question 2)

2. What is that thing you would like to spend the rest of your life doing?

A career is just like marriage union because it require a long term commitment. So if you are not passionate about what you want to do or become then you won't have enough motivation to drive you to the end. Also when you are trying to answer question 2, access your strength, weakness, values, interests, personality and skill. This could help put you on a career to build.

Krestup, thank for the reply.

To be honest, I sincerely feel I can go deep in atmost two areas:

1) Computer programming (Or anything that has to do with internet).

2) An effective business person, good team player.

None of the above do I have any formal training for. And I'm thinking if I could just get on with the business side of my capabilities and keep doing the computer stuff on my on, then that might be a good one.

What do you think sir ?
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by Goldenheart(m): 8:46pm On Jan 12, 2013
when am i gonna be the first to comment?? embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by greenoak: 8:50pm On Jan 12, 2013
Just do whatever comes ur way nd. Ensure u Do it Well.as per d. Cert courses why nt if u have enough time. On ur hand
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by Wendyslim(f): 8:51pm On Jan 12, 2013
Goldenheart: when am i gonna be the first to comment?? embarassed
. Is there any gift for that undecided
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by Visionaire: 8:59pm On Jan 12, 2013
For Project Management (PMP) Training, call 08037368720 or log on to www.thelearningedge-ng.com
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by ujoatu(m): 9:15pm On Jan 12, 2013
When u find a joB
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jan 12, 2013
youre on the right track bro
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by talk2D: 9:20pm On Jan 12, 2013
Follow your passion(only you can decide).You will get a wonderful result.
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by free2ryhme: 9:26pm On Jan 12, 2013
Go into Agricultural IT
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by PopeUDENSI: 9:39pm On Jan 12, 2013
when u have the ballz to start up ur own thread..and what has been first to comment got to do with anything?
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by log1(m): 9:40pm On Jan 12, 2013
Grow up kid.
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by PopeUDENSI: 9:44pm On Jan 12, 2013
log1:
Grow up kid.
tell that kid to go watch cartoon network
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by hienyimba(m): 9:45pm On Jan 12, 2013
preparinng a response........http://yolpe.com ...thats it.brillant me!
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by braine(m): 9:51pm On Jan 12, 2013
The topic is quite misleading. I thought it was a general career advice. sad

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jan 12, 2013
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by Goldenheart(m): 9:59pm On Jan 12, 2013
Wendyslim: . Is there any gift for that undecided
ujoatu:
When u find a joB
Pope UDENSI: when u have the ballz to start up ur own thread..and what has been first to comment got to do with anything?
log1:
Grow up kid.
Pope UDENSI: tell that kid to go watch cartoon network
Just what am looking.........
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jan 12, 2013
[b][/b]
ujoatu:
When u find a joB
[center][/center]
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jan 12, 2013
Look at a beautiful thread on hw to be completely focused on building a gud career but some No Future Ambition are busy putting thrash... By the time u clock 45 and u found ursef in ur villa drinking kai kai and ogogoro while ur mates are in d city living in mansions thats wen it would be too late. Had I Know...
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by Gabrielsylar(m): 10:22pm On Jan 12, 2013
Agriculatural Economics and Extension............when we dont even have agric economy u went to put study extension again.......they will extend ur headache

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by Techwriter: 10:26pm On Jan 12, 2013
OP, my simple advice to you is to sit down and write your funeral speech. Assume its your funeral, how would you want yourself to be presented? Strive to be that picture but it must be in line with your passion and natural abilities.

Watch out for the book "Courses and Careers- an Encyclopaedic Approach" Coming soon
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by edynasty: 10:38pm On Jan 12, 2013
@OP,

to survive in business you need two things...the knowledge and the experience.

The both can be acquired over time, but the latter stands out. There is something Dangote acquired thru' experience, that thing is what makes him Dangote and not otedola...getit?
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by Kzinne: 11:08pm On Jan 12, 2013
dotobo: Hello,

I need your help on which of my career path to build upon. I graduated from the university with a degree in Agriculatural Economics and Extension.

I am also a self taught web programmer here is the website I'm currently working on (www./hxYfU) - although still under development. I have some other sites that I have finished and are online.

In some few months I will be part of an executive board member of a small(atleast for now) company, and my roles will include, Director of IT (

- Hiring and firing of people who work in that department...including Programmers, Networkers, Graphic Designers and other ad-hoc staffs

- Management of budget to my depatment, and preparation of monthly financial expenditure for the department.. )

Also, I will be working in other areas of the company's venture. e.g information gathering, project evaluation and analysis, book writing, printing, and real estate, farming - I wont be the head off the sections I just mentioned, but will be an active team member.

First, I am thinking of getting PMP certification as soon as possible, then go for MBA in a reputable university. I'm have left out IT certification in my planning.

Are there other certifications that will add value to me and to the company now and in the future that I am not thinking of?

its a shame that at this level u still dont hav any idea as to wat u want to do wit ur life
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by free2ryhme: 11:09pm On Jan 12, 2013
Kzinne: its a shame that at this level u still dont hav any idea as to wat u want to do wit ur life

so tell him wat to do with his life, Advicer!

1 Like

Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by Kzinne: 11:10pm On Jan 12, 2013
Gabriel_sylar: Agriculatural Economics and Extension............when we dont even have agric economy u went to put study extension again.......they will extend ur headache
i tire for d poster o
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by Kzinne: 11:11pm On Jan 12, 2013
dotobo: Hello,

In some few months I will be part of an executive board member of a small(atleast for now) company, and my roles will include, Director of IT (

Also, I will be working in other areas of the company's venture. e.g information gathering, project evaluation and analysis, book writing, printing, and real estate, farming - I wont be the head off the sections I just mentioned, but will be an active team member.

First, I am thinking of getting PMP certification as soon as possible, then go for MBA in a reputable university. I'm have left out IT certification in my planning.

dis type of question shud com from a jss3 studen t
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by hagma37yahoocom: 12:11am On Jan 13, 2013
Guy i think say that IITA advert i always see every where are for people like you.
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by moderatorr: 3:23am On Jan 13, 2013
Life is Short. Dont ever forget that.
Re: Advice On Career Path To Build Upon. by hollypagan: 4:25am On Jan 13, 2013
its not possible the owner brothers and sisters even their goat and cows has to comment first before,d

(1) (2) (Reply)

Foreign Airlines To Sack 2000 Workers: Union Kicks Against Plans / Bad Experiences You Encounter Within Your Office. / 8 Awesomely Wise Tips To Being a Successful Caterer In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.