Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:27 AM

Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) (10097 Views)

Pastor Enters Into Church On A Hoverboard (Photos) / See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday / 10 Reasons Why Lagosians Go To Church On Sundays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by IAH(f): 2:34pm On Apr 29, 2006
Virozuru, sorry offtopic: Are you a Seventh day Adventist? that means you don't eat meat? Ha! You are missing o! cheesy cheesy

Now back to topic. You see, it doesn't really matter what day you go to worship God. I think the main thing is that you do worship God. It doesn't matter when or where or how. By the way, how are we even sure that Saturday is indeed the Seventh day. Was there anything like Sunday, Monday, Tuesday when God rested? What day did the person who started the idea of our present calendar start? Was it on a Monday, Tuesday or Friday? Who knows maybe God actually rested on a day we now call Thursday or Wednesday? So it's quite ambiguous if you get what I mean.

And a Yoruba adage says "Only God knows those who are worshipping him truly". So it's not up/down to any man to judge who is going to heaven. smiley
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by 4getme1(m): 2:35pm On Apr 29, 2006
virozuru:

Here is where it says you should go to Church on Saturday.

Exodus 20:8-11

Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. Six days shall thoult labour and do all they Work. But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God,

If you don't know what this is a part of, it is the ten Commandments. And remember ifyou break one commandment, you break all 10 commandments.

While you're working at it, remember this: you said that if we broke one of the commandments we are guilty of having broken all 10 commandments. In the same way, I  would like for you to quote me exactly as it says you did earlier that in Exo. 20:8-11, "you should go to Church on Saturday." Where in your reference did it mention "Church"? I have more than 15 English translations in my library now - but I can't find the word "Church" in that Scripture you quoted; so which translation are you using?

Remember also, that it was just a few words that Eve injected into God's commandment that made the Devil get through to her. So, if we must be so pedantic about words and all that, please don't change any words in Exo. 20:8-11; do us the favour of showing where it says "Church" FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD in that passage.

Thank you.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by virozuru(f): 2:41pm On Apr 29, 2006
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by virozuru(f): 2:43pm On Apr 29, 2006
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by virozuru(f): 2:46pm On Apr 29, 2006
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by goodguy(m): 2:50pm On Apr 29, 2006
Does observing the Sabbath day mean going to church? What if I decide to observe it in my room? Does that make me a sinner?
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by IAH(f): 2:54pm On Apr 29, 2006
virozuru:

Yes, I eat meat. Jesus, can people please read the entire thing so i can avoid repeating myself?

In what way are you repeating yourself? I read the whole piece and I don't see how you have been repeating yourself, I think you started the topic to hear comments and questions. Anyway, it seems like you just want to hear only supporting views, Peace out.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by virozuru(f): 2:58pm On Apr 29, 2006
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by virozuru(f): 3:00pm On Apr 29, 2006
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by TV01(m): 12:54am On Apr 30, 2006
Hi virozuru

Apologies for my belated response.
Re your response to my post below, I'm not quite sure if the bit you found insulting was also the bit you did not understand, or it was parts of both?

Please don't take offence, I realise I can be facetious at times.

Quote from: TV01 on April 28, 2006, 11:06 AM
Hi Nwoke,

Thanks very much for your last post.

Christians, some of you love the law so much, you've morphed into Jews. Beware the leaven of the pharisees  .

My advice (which you are not obliged to follow); don't burn yourselves out ushering at three services on a Sunday, carrying the "MOG's" bible, or otherwise working yourselves into the ground serving those religious institutions that some pranksters call church.

I rest my case (pun intended  ).

God bless

We are having an intelligent conversation which does not call for insults. i don't even understand what you said.

The essence of my post was as follows;
Sabbath keeping is not required of NT Christians.

Presumably you are aware that there are other Sabbaths besides the 6pm to 6am Friday/Saturday one. Do you keep those as well? Why/why not?

God bless
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by TV01(m): 1:22am On Apr 30, 2006
You guys are really making this difficult for me. Same thread with two titles. Moderator, what's with that?

Hi 4get_me,

I note with interest your arguing that obsolescence of the law removes the requirement for a fixed sabbath. We could of course go on to discuss how the NC spiritually fulfills the physical aspects of the OC. And of course, I'd absolutely agree.

I find it a little odd though, that when it comes to tithing you conveniently forget this.

At least virozuru has shown some degree of consistency in holding to the law (however futile I personally believe that may be).

Have a good weekend sir.

God bless
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by 4getme1(m): 7:21am On Apr 30, 2006
Hia TV01,

I've left a short reply for you in this link and later in the day I'll come back to address some of your concerns.

Have a blessed Sunday.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by goodguy(m): 9:35am On Apr 30, 2006
virozuru:

answer that question for yourself. im a "sabbath keeper" yet im in my room arguing online!

Well, I dont observe mine on saturdays.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by virozuru(f): 4:38pm On Apr 30, 2006
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by welborn(m): 5:47pm On Apr 30, 2006
@virozuru,

There's no problem using either of them - they may not actually be referring to the same thing. One is asking "What Day Is The Sabbath?" while this one is taking it one step further to its application by seeking to address the question of whether or not people should go to Church of Saturday. As long as we know where to post our concerns, point carried.

Blessings.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by lordimpaq(m): 10:41am On May 07, 2006
@goodguy

you should,

even if you observe the sabbath on sunday, do u actually keep it, because you are supposed to not do the thiings u like doin on a normal day, if u like browsing the web on that day, then u should stop and wait till after the sabbath, if u like watching the premiership on that day, then u shouldn't for that day, because u r not having your way, desist from your pleasures on that day and just praise God, and keep hhim in mind,

pple worship on sundays and yet still go to parties on sundays,

i observe saturday though i like football i try as much as possible not to watch anymatch and listen to classical music, these are my greatest pleasures
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by barikade: 8:00pm On Aug 10, 2006
Hi guys,

I'd like to ask - what exactly are the stipulations of the Sabbath: how is it supposed to be observed as God gave it?
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Bobbyaf(m): 4:19am On Aug 11, 2006
The subject of which day is the sabbath is really not the issue as most christians already know which day that is. The real issue lies with whether or not the sabbath is still applicable to christians.

If you are searching for a reference that says that the Seventh-day sabbath was changed to Sunday upon the authority of Christ, or any of His disciples/apostles, in order to reflect the importance of Christ raising on a Sunday, you will not find it. No Sunday-supporting christians has been able to honestly show from scripture such a change.

So where did the change come from? How did Sunday happen to slide its way into the christian culture? Well, are you aware that Daniel spoke about the beast power that would actually attempt to change God's set laws and times. The four beast mentioned in Daniel chapter 7, were 4 kingdoms that would have ruled one after the other beginning with Babylon the Great. daniel saw a:

1) a lion with two wings which represented Babylon

2) a bear being rasied up on one side which represented the twin kingdom of Media & Persia

3) a leapord with 4 heads and 4 wings which represented Greece

4) a non-descript beast (meaning a beast that was not seen by Daniel as belonging to the known animal kingdom) which represented Rome. This beast had 10 horns which in themselves would represent the initial european kingdoms that would follow Rome after its demise.

If you read what happens after after Daniel introduced the 4th kingdom of Rome, you'd have noticed that he paid particular attention to a little horn that grew out from the 10 horns of the 4th beast. It is this little horn that woulld later up-root three of the 10 horns.

Most bible scholars agree, including famous pastors who lead Sunday churches, that that little horn no doubt represented the Roman Catholic church. No one has yet to refute that. Notice what Daniel said about this little horn:

23 "He gave me this explanation: 'The fourth beast is a fourth kingdom that will appear on earth. It will be different from all the other kingdoms and will devour the whole earth, trampling it down and crushing it. 24 The ten horns are ten kings who will come from this kingdom.

After them another king will arise, different from the earlier ones; he will subdue three kings. 25 He will speak against the Most High and oppress his saints and try to change the set times and the laws. The saints will be handed over to him for a time, times and half a time.

This little horn is referred to as another king among the 10 kings that came after Rome fell. It would eventually strike off the map three of these 10 kingdoms namely the Heruleans, the Astrogoths, and the vandals.

The little horn would speak against the Most High God

The little horn would oppress or persecute God's saints

The little horn would try to change the set(established) times, and the laws

The little horn would have dominion over the saints for 3 1/2 prophetic years = 1260 days = 1260yrs.

This little horn no doubt represents the Roman Catholic church that has become a very powerful religio-political power. From AD538 - AD1798 she ruled europe with an iron fist. She used the state to kill millions of bible-believing christians who refused to either accept the mass, or acknowledge the pope as the Vicar of the Son of God.

It is this same power that has introduced pagan religious festivals with a christian flavour including Sunday worship, Easter, Christmas, etc. All these day have pagan connection.

St. Paul started to see the signs in the first century when he spoke of the man of sin that would sit in the temple of God calling himself God.

The only way that our christian brothers from the Sunday-gathering churches can argue is to try and knock the law of God, ie 10 commandment law, because they know that if they uphold the 10 commandments, which they do anyway, and which includes the seventh-day, they would have to confess that Saturday is the Lord's day. In their attempt to support Sunday they show no distinction between the eternal and the transcient. They group the ceremonial laws with God's moral law, and from which Paul obviously makes a distinction. ( Compare Romans 7 with Galations 3,4)

Of the 7 or 8 bible references that make mention of the first day of the week, none have directly said that Sunday is the new Lord's day.

There are no direct reference for such an important change to which they speak, neither from Christ nor from His representatives.

The argument about not being under the law must be taken in context. I am prepared to listen as well as give reasons from the bible why God's seventh-day sabbath is very much alive and well, both from a historical and biblical pint of view.

Shalom.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by m4malik(m): 1:26pm On Aug 12, 2006
Bobby,

There again I think you have trailed off and mixed up figures and identities to arrive at your interpretation. Your assumptions about Daniel 7:24-25 is only a convenient Seventh-Day Adventist theological interpretation that sees 'the king' that will arise as the Roman Catholic Church. This kind of reasoning stops short at important points so that figures could be manipulated to arrive at this idea. Let me ask a few questions:

1. How has the 31/2 years become 1260 years when in God's prophetic calendar, a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years as one day (2 Pet. 3:cool? You're translating years into years, the only difference being that 3 1/2 has become 1260.

2. How has the Roman Catholic Church become the little horn that speaks great things against the Most High God, as if other groups have not spoken such things against Him?

3. It looks like you're mixing up identities by equating the beast and the little horn. Look at what you said:
Bobbyaf:

Well, are you aware that Daniel spoke about the beast power that would actually attempt to change God's set laws and times.

The little horn would try to change the set(established) times, and the laws

So, which is it - the beast or the little horn?

4. Now regarding times, did you notice what the Scriptures say about the horn in Daniel 7:21-22? See -

I beheld, and the same horn made war with the saints, and prevailed against them; Until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom.

So, did the Roman Catholic Church make war with the saints until the Ancient of days came?

And again in verses 25-26. . .

And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time. But the judgment shall sit, and they shall take away his dominion, to consume and to destroy it unto the end.

(a) Has the dominion of the Roman Catholic Church been taken away to consume and destroy it unto the end - and by whom?

(b) Since the dominion of the horn shall be taken away, did this happen after the 1260 years (that is, "From AD538 - AD1798"wink you hinted at?

5. Notice also that the little horn is said to be a king (as you acknowledged) and not a kingdom. Do you not suspect something is very wrong in your interpretation of a 'king' as the Roman Catholic Church, since the latter is a collective entity existing as an organization and not an individual?

Now with the Sunday issue,

(1) What do you think God is going to do to those Christians who worship Him on Sunday, the first day of the week?

(2) What do you think God will do to those Christians who gathered for worship on the first day of the week as in Acts 20:7?

(3) And what did God do to John who was in Spirit on the "Lord's Day" (Rev. 1:10) - what is the 'Lord's Day' there?

Bobbyaf:

Of the 7 or 8 bible references that make mention of the first day of the week, none have directly said that Sunday is the new Lord's day.

And none has directly said that Saturday was the first day of the week either!

Bobbyaf:

There are no direct reference for such an important change to which they speak, neither from Christ nor from His representatives.

I haven't yet come across anyone who knows the Scriptures to be speaking of a "change" of the days in question. Rather, reference has been made frequently to the simple statements in Scripture about what days Christians gathered for worship - Acts 20:7 as an example. Again, you will not find a text in the NT directly commanding that Christians gather for worship on the seventh day or on the Sabbath. What the Scriptures simply declare about the day/time of gathering for worship among Christians are -

¤ "when ye come together in the church" - I Cor. 11:18

¤ "When ye come together therefore into one place" - I Cor. 11:20

¤ "And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread" - Acts 20:7.

Since this was what the early Christians did, is it too much for contemporary Christians to follow their example?
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by barikade: 4:35pm On Aug 12, 2006
In addition to the question I asked earlier and would repeat, here are some more:

¤ when were the 10 commandments given, and to whom specifically did God give them?

¤ what law of the Sabbath are we dealing with specifically - that contained in the 10 commandments or some other one?

¤ what exactly are the stipulations of the Sabbath: how is it supposed to be observed as God gave it?
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Bobbyaf(m): 12:07am On Aug 17, 2006
@ Malik

Bobby,

There again I think you have trailed off and mixed up figures and identities to arrive at your interpretation. Your assumptions about Daniel 7:24-25 is only a convenient Seventh-Day Adventist theological interpretation that sees 'the king' that will arise as the Roman Catholic Church. This kind of reasoning stops short at important points so that figures could be manipulated to arrive at this idea. Let me ask a few questions:

Far from it Malik. Histroy proves without a doubt that the RCC fulfils this part of Daniel 7.

1. How has the 31/2 years become 1260 years when in God's prophetic calendar, a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years as one day (2 Pet. 3:cool? You're translating years into years, the only difference being that 3 1/2 has become 1260.

Because a symbolic day prophetically represents a literal day. God said to Ezekiel that He has appointed a day for a year concerning a particlular prophecy. It so happens that all biblical scholars have agreed to accept that principle when used to calclate prophecy. Its not an Seventh-day Adventist invention. See Ezekiel 4:6; Numbers 14:34

Malik be reasonable how could a symbolic day represent 1000 years in prophecy? Name one prophetic fulflment that used a symbolic day to represent a literal 1000 years? Peter quoted from David in refernce to "a day is like a 1000 years, and a 1000 years is like a day" This has absolutely nothing to do with prophecy. Besides, the context as supplied by David doesn't suit it.

If a symbolic day really represented a literal 1000 years, then it means that all that history has said about the birth of Jesus taking place in BC3, and His baptism takingplace in AD27 would be completely thrown out of course. Try and see where I am going with this. If history verifies that the start of the 70 weeks prophecy began in BC457, when Atthaxerses commanded the restoration of the wall of Jerusalem, and you are applying your principle of a day for 1000 years, can't you see where you would end up? 70 weeks would = 490 days and if each of those days = 1000 years according to you, then it means that the 69th week would be 69X7X1000 = 483,000 years.

If we add 483,000 years to BC457 we would get the baptism of Christ occurng at: AD483457. Thats absolutely impossible.

2. How has the Roman Catholic Church become the little horn that speaks great things against the Most High God, as if other groups have not spoken such things against Him?

Notice the name of the church? It came out of Rome. No other religious power ruled during the reign of the original 10 european kingdoms which came after Rome's demise. No other christian religious political power has blasphemed the christian God in God's name than the RCC. You seem to forget what the prophet said;

1. It would persecute or oppress the saints

2. It would think to change God's set(permanent) times and laws. The RCC has tampered with the 10 commandments by removing the second to facilitate idol and image worship, and the veneration of mary and saints. It has shortened the fourth commandment from 94 words to just eight in order to avoid mentioning which day is the Sabbath, and (3) dividing the tenth commandment into two commandments. The RCC has not hidden from the fact of its attempt. Listen to what it said as a religious body:

Roman Catholic: No such law in the Bible "Nowhere in the bible do we find that Jesus or the apostles ordered that the Sabbath be changed from Saturday to Sunday. We have the commandment of God given to Moses to keep holy the Sabbath day, that is, the Seventh day of the week, Saturday. Today, all Christians keep Sunday because it has been revealed to us by the [Roman] church outside the Bible." Catholic Virginian, Oct. 3, 1947

"You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctified." James Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of Our Fathers (1917 ed.), pp.72,73

"If protestants would follow the Bible, they should worship God on the Sabbath Day, that is Saturday. In keeping Sunday they are following a law of the Catholic Church." Albert Smith, chancellor of the Archdiocese of Baltimore, replying for the cardinal in a letter of Feb. 10, 1920.

From the Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine:

"Q: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday? Answer: We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church, in the Council of Laodicea (AD 336) transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday."

3. It looks like you're mixing up identities by equating the beast and the little horn. Look at what you said:

Well it wouldn't be the beast in Daniel 7 since it came from among the 10 horns of the head of the 4th beast, however the first beast that came out f the sea in revelation 13,and the little horn in Daniel 7 are one and the same. The same time period alloted to the little horn as 3 1/2 years, is the same time period alloted to the beast power in Revelation 13 as 3 1/2 years. As a matter of fact Revelation supplies a variation of alotted time which all mean the same thing.

In Revelation 13:5 says:
5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.

notice the parallels in both books. Daniel gave the duration of dominion and spoke of how blasphemous the little horn would be, then Revelation speaks the same thing.

Revelation's 42 months = 42X30 = 1260 days = 1260 years

Daniel's 3 1/2 times or years = 3 1/2 X 360 = 1260 days = 1260 years

This is the excat period that the RCC ruled europe for before the French Revolution brought it to its knees in AD1798. Since the RCC officially got its launching from AD538, you can readily see why it fulfils the prophecy of ruling for 1260 years to the T.

The reason why I used that historical backdrop is to show who was responsible for the change from the Lord's holy day of rest to Sunday observance as started by the Bishops of Rome, which spread eventually into eastern europe, and became a practise.

No where in scriptures does it speak about a change from one day to the next either by Christ or His apostles. There remains a sabbath rest for the people of God.

I don'e see how a day can remain and change at the same time.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Bobbyaf(m): 12:57am On Aug 17, 2006
In addition to the question I asked earlier and would repeat, here are some more:

¤ when were the 10 commandments given, and to whom specifically did God give them?

¤ what law of the Sabbath are we dealing with specifically - that contained in the 10 commandments or some other one?

¤ what exactly are the stipulations of the Sabbath: how is it supposed to be observed as God gave it?

The ten commandments in principle existed before Sinae. Exudus makes mention of God rebuking the children of Israel of Sabbath breaking long before Moses recieved it on the mount as recorded in the 20th chapter.

If you're asking me when the tablets were given it would be when Moses recieved it on Mount Sinae.

The sabbtah being Saturday is a day of rest from labour. God has given us 6 days in which to make a living. He has reserved His chosen day for us to totally dedicate it to Him.

The only stipulation is to rest from our works. By so doing we keep the day holy. The day is already holy, but by resting we maintain that degree of holiness. By obeying God's instructions we reveal its true purpose andintent.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Seun(m): 4:28pm On Aug 17, 2006
When did God say that you can observe he sabbath on any day you like? You're putting words in God's mouth!
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Bobbyaf(m): 4:37pm On Aug 18, 2006
@Seun

When did God say that you can observe he sabbath on any day you like? You're putting words in God's mouth!

Thanks for revisiting my major point. We cannot choose a day. He has already done that for us, and that day is the seventh-day sabbath which is Saturday.

I can't see how putting words in God's mouth fits the bill, because no one is doing that.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by goodguy(m): 10:13pm On Aug 24, 2006
lordimpaq:

@goodguy

you should,

even if you observe the sabbath on sunday, do u actually keep it,
In my own dictionary, observing the sabbath day is the same as keeping the sabbath day.

lordimpaq:

because you are supposed to not do the thiings u like doin on a normal day, if u like browsing the web on that day, then u should stop and wait till after the sabbath, if u like watching the premiership on that day, then u shouldn't for that day, because you're not having your way, desist from your pleasures on that day and just praise God, and keep hhim in mind,
The last time I checked, the hebrew verb for Sabbath is "Shabbath", which means 'To rest from labour'.  So when I watch premiership or surf the net on that day, am I not resting enough?  Or how do you define 'rest'?
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Bobbyaf(m): 3:10pm On Aug 25, 2006
@ thebadguy

The last time I checked, the hebrew verb for Sabbath is "Shabbath", which means 'To rest from labour'. So when I watch premiership or surf the net on that day, am I not resting enough? Or how do you define 'rest'?

I must hasten to say that the rest is more extensive than just the physical rest. It involves a mental and emotional rest as well, from the things of the world. If you're a student then you must rest from school work; if you're a sports enthusiast and you're accustomed to viewing such sporting activities during the week, then you also decist from such.

The purpose of the sabbath would have been thwarted if all God expected of us is to just rest physically. There had to have been a mental ascent towards Him, seeing that the whole purpose of resting was to highlight His Creatorship. Its all about Him.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by laruth: 10:27pm On Aug 25, 2006
OK, if you really read the bible, you'll see how the Sabbath and Holy Days described in Leviticus were still kept all through the New Testament.

For instance:

Passover

Commanded in the Old Testament: Leviticus 23:5

Observed by Jesus Christ, the apostles or the Church in the New Testament: Matthew 26:2, 17-19; Mark 14:12-16; Luke 2:41-42; 22:1, 7-20; John 2:13, 23; 6:4; 13:1-30;1 Corinthians 11:23-29

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feast of Unleavened Bread

Commanded in the Old Testament: Leviticus 23:6-8

Observed by Jesus Christ, the apostles or the Church in the New Testament: Matthew 26:17; Mark 14:12; Luke 2:41-42, 22:1, 7; Acts 20:6; 1 Corinthians 5:6-8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feast of Pentecost

Commanded in the Old Testament: Leviticus 23:15-22

Observed by Jesus Christ, the apostles or the Church in the New Testament: Acts 2:1-21; 20:16; 1 Corinthians 16:8

Feast of Trumpets*

Commanded in the Old Testament: Leviticus 23:23-25

Observed by Jesus Christ, the apostles or the Church in the New Testament: Matthew 24:30-31; 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17; Revelation 11:15

Day of Atonement

Commanded in the Old Testament: Leviticus 23:26-32

Observed by Jesus Christ, the apostles or the Church in the New Testament: Acts 27:9

Feast of Tabernacles

Commanded in the Old Testament: Leviticus 23:33-43

Observed by Jesus Christ, the apostles or the Church in the New Testament: John 7:1-2, 8, 10, 14; Acts 18:21

Last Great Day

Commanded in the Old Testament: Leviticus 23:36

Observed by Jesus Christ, the apostles or the Church in the New Testament: John 7:37-38

Also, where do people get the idea that the Old Testament laws were done away with. The sacrificial and death penalty laws diminished because Christ was the ultimate sacrifice that died so we could be forgiven for our sins.

Check out Luke 16:17 - "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid."

God/Christ, never changed laws, men did. Christians eventually adopted the pagan customs so they'd have more people in church.

Our forefathers didn't even keep Christmas, that was adopted years later.

The problem with society is that no one goes out there to prove things for themselves. They do whatever they want and never really think about their traditions and where they REALLY come from.

You can't just read ONE scripture - you have to read the chapters so you can get the message in its true contex.

OK, done ranting now,
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Bobbyaf(m): 5:07am On Aug 26, 2006
Yes Jesus and the apostles kept the feast days, but that was before Jesus died. After Jesus died those feast days lost their significance.

The creation sababth is the only one that is of relevance now. Its the only one that is at the centre of God's eternal law.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by goodguy(m): 3:56pm On Aug 26, 2006
Bobbyaf:

@ thebadguy

I must hasten to say that the rest is more extensive than just the physical rest. It involves a mental and emotional rest as well, from the things of the world. If you're a student then you must rest from school work; if you're a sports enthusiast and you're accustomed to viewing such sporting activities during the week, then you also decist from such.

The purpose of the sabbath would have been thwarted if all God expected of us is to just rest physically. There had to have been a mental ascent towards Him, seeing that the whole purpose of resting was to highlight His Creatorship. Its all about Him.

And you do all that in 24hrs?  If I decide not to watch sports on the sabbath day, but decide to listen to the news, wouldn't that make me a hypocrite?

Lordipamq said previously that I am not supposed to do, on the sabbath day, things I do on normal days, like surfing the net, watching premiership, and alike.  And now, you are telling me it's not about physical rest, but mental.  Who am I supposed to believe now?  Because I guess you both have the same beliefs about this Sabbath issue.

But then, if this definition of yours is acceptable, then I don't think going to church will be necessary then.  As a matter of fact, there are more distractions in church than you'd find if you were just observing the sabbath quietly in your room.  I also wonder what type of 'mental rest' you'll be having while in church.  Also, for those who do not have personal cars of their own, by boarding a public transport, have they not encouraged others to work, while 'they' are supposedly going to observe the sabbath?  Even they have worked too!  Because by paying the transport fare, you have transacted already.  Infact, if you buy anything on that day, then you have not observed the sabbath at all.

By the way, anything that relives me of stress is my own definition of rest, whether physical or mental.  And who says I can't keep God in mind while doing other things?
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Oracle(m): 7:24pm On Aug 26, 2006
I know the sabbath is meant to be on the seventh (7) day and itz meant fore resting,
but i dunno if itz saturday or sunday.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Bobbyaf(m): 11:27pm On Aug 26, 2006
And you do all that in 24hrs?

What is this question related to? I am not getting you.

If I decide not to watch sports on the sabbath day, but decide to listen to the news, wouldn't that make me a hypocrite?

Nobody is telling to do both. My understanding of rest as I said encompasses the physical, mental, and emotional. Its one thing to rest physically, its quite another matter to have your mind wandering over the place and delving in things that are not spiritual.

Lordipamq said previously that I am not supposed to do, on the sabbath day, things I do on normal days, like surfing the net, watching premiership, and alike.  And now, you are telling me it's not about physical rest, but mental.  Who am I supposed to believe now?  Because I guess you both have the same beliefs about this Sabbath issue.

I am extending on what Lordimpaq said. Besides, you're misquoting me. You make it sound as if I am only saying its mental rest. I am saying the rest is all-inclusive. Physically I could be resting but my mind could be wondering all over the place, thinking about maters that are not spiritually related.

But then, if this definition of yours is acceptable, then I don't think going to church will be necessary then.  As a matter of fact, there are more distractions in church than you'd find if you were just observing the sabbath quietly in your room.  I also wonder what type of 'mental rest' you'll be having while in church.

I don't think you understand. The level of rest being emphasised, is the rest from mundane things, and not so much a rest from Godly and or spiritual things. Jesus taught in the temple every sabbath as His custom was. He even healed the sick on the sabbath. As a carpenter he rested. Mary rested. Joseph rested from his labours during the holy hours.

Also, for those who do not have personal cars of their own, by boarding a public transport, have they not encouraged others to work, while 'they' are supposedly going to observe the sabbath?  Even they have worked too!  Because by paying the transport fare, you have transacted already.  Infact, if you buy anything on that day, then you have not observed the sabbath at all.

Thats an age-old topic, but nonetheless is worth an answer. Look at it this way. If I had no personal vehicle of my own and I were faced with a choice in using public transport to get to church, or to stay home, I'd take the public transport to church. Why you might ask? Its because we have no better choice. We have no control about how the world is set up today. This present world isn't set up to accommadate true worship. Its set up to make things easy and convinient for people in general. As a result don't expect an ideal sabbath observance fom those who keep the day. When we do our best God will do the rest. Staying home to prove that you're a perfect sabbath observer doesn't prove a thing. To do otherwise would be to take a pharasaical approach.

By the way, anything that relives me of stress is my own definition of rest, whether physical or mental.  And who says I can't keep God in mind while doing other things?

True, you can keep God in mind even during one's working hours, or anytime for that matter, but the sabbath was designed for us to rest so that we could give full attention to Godly matters for a longer time and to refresh our bodies. Its a day totally dedicated to Him.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Bobbyaf(m): 11:35pm On Aug 26, 2006
@ Oracle

I know the sabbath is meant to be on the seventh (7) day and itz meant fore resting,
but i don't know if itz saturday or sunday.

Most of christendom has accepted that Jesus rose on a Sunday, including me. Matthew 28 specifically said that Jesus rose on the first day of the week, and if the first day of the week is Sunday and you count 6 days after that, you will arrive at Saturday being the seventh day.

As a matter of fact the week as a cycle has not lost anything. From creation week way down to our time the week has been the same.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Good Character Have You Developed Since You Started Attending Your Church? / Is It Right To Bosom Feed A Baby In Church? / Your Experience The First Time You Preached The Gospel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.