Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,225 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) (10111 Views)

Pastor Enters Into Church On A Hoverboard (Photos) / See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday / 10 Reasons Why Lagosians Go To Church On Sundays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by m4malik(m): 2:48am On Aug 31, 2006
@Bobby,

I'm really concerned about the points you raised, but would not be tedious in my reply. The point is, tying Daniel 7 to the RCC just doesn't square with Scripture at all, and the questions I posed about that have still not been addressed.

Meanwhile,

Bobbyaf:

No where in scriptures does it speak about a change from one day to the next either by Christ or His apostles.

Is that not precisely what I alluded to in my last reply - that, it is all not a matter of "change" but of simple statements made in the NT? The apostles simply gathered on the first day of the week for Christian worship - and that long preceded the RCC. Again I'd like to re-state what I said earlier: "Since this was what the early Christians did, is it too much for contemporary Christians to follow their example?" And again, I observe that the questions I raised in this regard have not been addressed at all.

Hi @laruth,

Perhaps it would help to see the distinction between the OT and NT so that the blurring of issues is minimized. As an example, let me reference one of your assumptions -

laruth:

Day of Atonement

Commanded in the Old Testament: Leviticus 23:26-32

Observed by Jesus Christ, the apostles or the Church in the New Testament: Acts 27:9

This is what Acts 27:9 says: "Now when much time was spent, and when sailing was now dangerous, because the fast was now already past, Paul admonished them,"

That verse does not say that Jesus Christ observed the Day of Atonement, and it only goes to show how mistakes are made by taking texts out of contexts to prove what they do not say.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Bobbyaf(m): 6:05am On Sep 01, 2006
@ Malik

I have addressed all the scriptures that others have used including you to prove that Sunday was a day that early christians gathered for worship.

Not one of those scriptures show or indicate that such was the case. Of the eight references used in the NT there is absolutely none that categorically show a precedent for Sunday gathering. If you need me to repaet the context behind them I would be too glad to do so again.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by m4malik(m): 9:49am On Sep 01, 2006
@Bobby,

There's no need to be tedious about this by repeating what is unsustained in Scripture, unless you really believe that the first day of the week mentioned in Acts 20:7 was a Saturday!

Meanwhile, you still have failed to address some of the questions in this connection that I offered.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Bobbyaf(m): 3:05pm On Sep 01, 2006
@ Malik@Bobby,

There's no need to be tedious about this by repeating what is unsustained in Scripture, unless you really believe that the first day of the week mentioned in Acts 20:7 was a Saturday!

Its obvious you never read my response to this text, but for the benefit of those who should read this section of the thread, I will repeat. I will also cover again 1 Corinthians 16: 1,2 as well

Acts 20:7-12

Before I begin let me lay down a principle about how the Jews and early jewish christians viewed the day in terms of when it started and finished. Its important for my explanation.

The bible teaches that each day begins at sundown and ends the next sundown. (Genesis 1:15, 8, 13, 19, 23, 31); Leviticus 23:32) The dark part of the day naturally began the day. The sabbath for them began Friday night sundown and would end on what we call Saturday night. In fact using their reckoning, our Saturday night would have really been their Sunday evening or the dark part of Sunday. The meeting recorded in Acts 20 was held on the dark part of Sunday, seeing that the dark part of a day begins the day, and what we call today as Saturday night.

Proof of that lies in this version of the New English bible whose opening line says:

Acts 20:7-12 NEB
"On the Saturday night in our assembly, , "

Every indication points to a late night meeting by Paul which lasted till 12 midnight. Paul was on a farewell tour and knew he would not see these people again before his death (see verse 25). No wonder he preached so long and normally no weekly service would have lasted so long in those days, anyway. Paul was ready to depart on the morrow.

So what about the breaking of bread you might ask. Was this any indication that that occassion was a special and normal customary gathering? Absolutely not, because the breaking of bread was never confined to a day for they broke bread every day (see Acts 2:6) With that being the case the breaking of bread has no "Lord's day" significance whatsoever. In fact there is no scriptural indication in this passage that the first day was the norm or customary gathering for early christians. Nor is there the remotest clue of a change from sabbath to the first day of the week.

1 Cor. 16:1,2

1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

is this what you're using to show the change? , sorry but I find it funny how people see what isn't there. Anyway thee is no reference here about a customary gathering or church meeting. In fact the expression "lay by him in store" literally means form the Greek store at your house/home

In other words each christians was to save up something for the poor so that Paul woudn't waste time having to do all that when he passed through. They were written a letter from before telling them to store the stuff at home, and not at church as some would have us believe. These christiasn were sabbath keepers and that is why Paul suggested that they do some work on Sunday and make the necessary preparation. Its as simple as that. The raging famine that prevailed would no doubt have affected the poor brethren in Asia Minor. All bills and accounts were normally settled on a Sunday. Both the french and spanish bibles say the same thing about storing the stuff at home. In French it says:

" doit mettre de cote chez lui" which means "place by your side at home"

Thats the solid truth my friend. Sooner or later the inevetable will unfold.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by m4malik(m): 3:57pm On Sep 01, 2006
@Bobby,

You hardly made any point in needlessly repeating yourself. Scripture is clear enough, and to be honest with you, I really don't know what the NEB translators had in mind by interpolating their own thoughts into a text where it never read what they put there. Think about it for a moment: you often argue for the seventh day; and if one is to go by your reckoning, then the seventh day of the week should not really be the seventh day!

Meanwhile, are you saying that in your assembly, your Christian meetings are held on Saturday nights? I don't see what sense you're making from the "proof" that NEB suggests, which in actual fact is no proof at all of what the text says. I don't have any problem with your group gathering for worship on Saturday nights, but the NEB is not saying what the text in Acts 20:7 says.

And for the umpteenth time, I observe that no responses have been forthcoming from you with regards to the questions I raised about Christians gathering on the first day of the week. I take it then that you won't be bothered with that as you probably have nothing to say thereto.

All the same, good to read about what you think the Scripture says about the seventh and first days of the week. It's just untenable to misconstrue the one for the other as long as the Bible does not mix them up.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Bobbyaf(m): 5:43am On Sep 02, 2006
@Bobby,

You hardly made any point in needlessly repeating yourself.

It was worth repeating.

Scripture is clear enough, and to be honest with you, I really don't know what the NEB translators had in mind by interpolating their own thoughts into a text where it never read what they put there.

How would you know that? Are you an expert in translating from the original. If you have a problem with the NEB then how do you explain what the French bible says:

Acts 20:7-12 (ACTES 20:7-12)
7 Le samedi soir, nous etions reunis pour prendre le repas de la communion at Paul parlait a l'assemblee.

Allow me to translate. "On Saturday evening, we were assembled to take the cummunion meal and Paul spoke to the gathering."

Clear as crystal. What you thought was a typical Sunday morning gathering, turned out to be what we would refer to as a Saturday night's gathering, or after sunset gathering.

Think about it for a moment: you often argue for the seventh day; and if one is to go by your reckoning, then the seventh day of the week should not really be the seventh day!

I am not too certain what you're getting at here. Care to expand?

Meanwhile, are you saying that in your assembly, your Christian meetings are held on Saturday nights? I don't see what sense you're making from the "proof" that NEB suggests,

I didn't say that at all. I was only pointing out what happened in Acts 20:7-12

which in actual fact is no proof at all of what the text says. I don't have any problem with your group gathering for worship on Saturday nights, but the NEB is not saying what the text in Acts 20:7 says.

We don't gather on a Saturday night. We gather in the day.

And for the umpteenth time, I observe that no responses have been forthcoming from you with regards to the questions I raised about Christians gathering on the first day of the week. I take it then that you won't be bothered with that as you probably have nothing to say thereto.

So weren't Acts 20:7-12 and 1 Corinthians 16:1,2, being the most used texts by you, addressed by me before, and just now? These are the texts that all advocates of a Sunday-keeping early church use as so-call proof. But as I have revealed in more than one occasions, those texts have been grossly mis-understood. You cannot read into a passage what you think it should be saying.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by m4malik(m): 10:29am On Sep 02, 2006
@Bobby,

The same thing you're saying and repeating, but not really helping your arguments.

Bobbyaf:

How would you know that? Are you an expert in translating from the original. If you have a problem with the NEB then how do you explain what the French bible says

First, I never claimed that I'm an expert in translating from the original. Second, I thought you'd even offer what the original says, but instead you only weaken your arguments all the more by making recourse to the paraphrased versions of the NEB and French Bible. There are lots of Bible helps available, and if you can afford a good one, look at the text in the Greek original and see what the NEB and the French Bible have done. It's simple - the translators have interpolated into that text what the original doesn't say at all. Unless, you'd want to come back claiming that French was the original language of the New Testament.

Bobbyaf:

Clear as crystal. What you thought was a typical Sunday morning gathering, turned out to be what we would refer to as a Saturday night's gathering, or after sunset gathering.

Fascinating. You could agree with the French Bible and NEB and yet choose not to follow what you read in them. That's simply what I can't get in your arguments. If the NEB and French Bible are accurate and help your argument, why then doesn't your group gather in the same fashion on Saturday nights??

Bobbyaf:

I am not too certain what you're getting at here. Care to expand?

If the first day of the week happens to be the seventh day of the week according to your reckoning, then the seventh day shouldn't actually be the seventh day by the same reckoning. You can't have both the seventh and first day translating into the same day. This is what the NEB and the French Bible haven't explained to you, and one should be careful to take a so-called 'translation' all in if the said translation or version carries just the translators thoughts, rather than what the texts say. This is what happened in the case of the Living Bible which was withdrawn because it failed to faithfully deliver what the Bible actually says in many texts.

Bobbyaf:

I didn't say that at all. I was only pointing out what happened in Acts 20:7-12

How do you stop at 'only pointing out' something as correct and yet choose to do something differently in practice? If the NEB was correct in its translation of a "Saturday night," one would expect that those following the NEB should do what it says - yes?

Bobbyaf:

We don't gather on a Saturday night. We gather in the day.

So then, the NEB and French Bible (FB) are wrong - and you have another version/translation that warrants your practice differently from the NEB/FB's Saturday night?

Bobbyaf:

So weren't Acts 20:7-12 and 1 Corinthians 16:1,2, being the most used texts by you, addressed by me before, and just now? These are the texts that all advocates of a Sunday-keeping early church use as so-call proof.

So, what's wrong with using a few texts, even more so? If the texts say "first day of the week," and not "Saturday nights," my question was simply asking to point out what was wrong with the texts.

Bobbyaf:

But as I have revealed in more than one occasions, those texts have been grossly mis-understood.

By who - the NEB and French Bible translators who are interpolating their own thoughts into the Bible where it does not say that at all??

Bobbyaf:

You cannot read into a passage what you think it should be saying.

Glad to read that from you - and I sincerely wished you had heeded that before making recourse to translations that did the very same thing that you are now condemning.

Meanwhile, these were the questions that I raised which have not been addressed at all:

m4malik:

Now with the Sunday issue,

(1) What do you think God is going to do to those Christians who worship Him on Sunday, the first day of the week?

(2) What do you think God will do to those Christians who gathered for worship on the first day of the week as in Acts 20:7?

(3) And what did God do to John who was in Spirit on the "Lord's Day" (Rev. 1:10) - what is the 'Lord's Day' there?

Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Bobbyaf(m): 10:46pm On Sep 02, 2006
@ Malik

First, I never claimed that I'm an expert in translating from the original. Second, I thought you'd even offer what the original says, but instead you only weaken your arguments all the more by making recourse to the paraphrased versions of the NEB and French Bible. There are lots of Bible helps available, and if you can afford a good one, look at the text in the Greek original and see what the NEB and the French Bible have done. It's simple - the translators have interpolated into that text what the original doesn't say at all. Unless, you'd want to come back claiming that French was the original language of the New Testament.

Who are you to say what millions of French people read to be seen as a paraphrase? I guess to you the German, and Spanish bibles are all paraphrases, only as it affects your interpretation. And just in case you didn't realize, the Greek language didn't even mention the first day of the week, but rather one of the sabbaths, that Paul met with the assembly. It translates as:

"And on one of the sabbaths, us having been assembled to break bread, Paul was lecturing them being about to part on the next day, and was extending the message until midnight"

In other words after the typical sabbath meeting, there was an extended meeting that carried on into the beginning of Sunday. As I have explained before in other sections, the jewish people had their day start at the dark portion of the day which would finish at sundown the following day. What we see as the first day of the week, and what the bible is now talking about, is correctly called Saturday night. Hence Saturday night becomes the first day of the week.

Fascinating. You could agree with the French Bible and NEB and yet choose not to follow what you read in them. That's simply what I can't get in your arguments. If the NEB and French Bible are accurate and help your argument, why then doesn't your group gather in the same fashion on Saturday nights??

I am not sure why you're dwelling on that point about following what we see in the French and other versions that choose to bring out the correct translations, when in truth and in fact thats not the emphasis of my argument. I am merely explaining to you what occured as a result of Paul having a longer than usual meeting that saw him meeting with them until 12 midnight. Its not like that experience was to be seen as a precedent. In fact it was an un-precedented one. It was one of a kind. It was exceptional. I wonder why you fail to see the real point.

If the first day of the week happens to be the seventh day of the week according to your reckoning, then the seventh day shouldn't actually be the seventh day by the same reckoning.

grin hahaa, ah boy! Forgive me for finding you real amusing. I didn't say that the first day of the week is the seventh day. I am saying that we reckon the days differently than how they were done in days of the dsiciples. For example we begin our day at midnight, according to the Roman set up to which some people have clung to still. In those days a new day started at sunset, and ended 24 hours after that. So lets say the apsotles gathered on a sabbath which we call today Saturday. At Sunset the day would have finished, and the first day would have begun. So in actual fact our saturday night would have been their starting of Sunday.

Bear in mind that the dark part of a day came first according to Genesis[b], "and the evening and the morning was the first day" [/b]

You can't have both the seventh and first day translating into the same day.

But you keep saying that as if anyone suggested that. Again I repeat this is not the case accoring to Acts 20

This is what the NEB and the French Bible haven't explained to you, and one should be careful to take a so-called 'translation' all in if the said translation or version carries just the translators thoughts, rather than what the texts say.

Yet the original greek doesn't use the phrase first day of the week either, so we can safely assume that what you are accustomed to is really other translators' personal thoughts. So in essence I don't need the NEB or French, or Spanish bibles to sustain what I have already gathered from the Greek.

There is one common thread that runs throughout the NT, and that is the sabbath was kept by christians. No where do you find Paul in all of his missionary journeys even remotely suggesting that Sunday was now the new Lord's day. If something was as important as that, don't you think that for one moment, something would have been said about such a change?

This is what happened in the case of the Living Bible which was withdrawn because it failed to faithfully deliver what the Bible actually says in many texts.

I don't know the details of that, but you can't grow suspicious of all translations becasue of that incident, can you?

Now with the Sunday issue,

(1) What do you think God is going to do to those Christians who worship Him on Sunday, the first day of the week?

Well I worship Him on Sunday too. I worship everyday. On the other hand those who gather on Sundays in order to commemorate the resurrection, do so in ignorance. Its never a question as to what will do, but what God is now doing. He is using His remnant church to reveal this particular error among christians. He's calling back his stray sheep to come back to the fold.

The LovePeddler of Revelation(the RCC) has many daughters(false protestantism) who have drunken her wine of fornication. Those organizations who keep Sunday instead of the Lord's holy day, are being warned to get out of babylon now before its too late. God says "come out of her my people and be not partakers of her sins, " Revelation 18:4

(2) What do you think God will do to those Christians who gathered for worship on the first day of the week as in Acts 20:7?

As was said before that was a one-time occasion. It was never meant to be a precedent.

(3) And what did God do to John who was in Spirit on the "Lord's Day" (Rev. 1:10) - what is the 'Lord's Day' there?

There is only one Lord's day that I know and that has to be the sabbath, of which Jesus is Lord. He Himself said it in Mark 2:27, 28
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Nobody: 10:44am On Mar 18, 2009
@bobbaff,
why dont you continue practising other aspects of the jewish law hypocrite ,no wonder you re ashamed of mentioning your church
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Bobbyaf(m): 3:27pm On Mar 18, 2009
@ Seun

According to the new testament, Christians are not supposed to worry about Jewish customs.

The sabbath precedes the Hebrew people. You should know better than that. In fact both the institutions of marriage and sabbath were made before sin manifested on earth, hence the sabbath cannot be viewed as a shadow.

Let me bring back what I have explained in previous postings with regards to what has been grossly misunderstood by Sunday-keeping Christians.

Its obvious you never read my response to this text, but for the benefit of those who should read this section of the thread, I will repeat. I will also cover again 1 Corinthians 16: 1,2 as well

Acts 20:7-12

Before I begin let me lay down a principle about how the Jews and early jewish christians viewed the day in terms of when it started and finished. Its important for my explanation.

The bible teaches that each day begins at sundown and ends the next sundown. (Genesis 1:15, 8, 13, 19, 23, 31); Leviticus 23:32) The dark part of the day naturally began the day. The sabbath for them began Friday night sundown and would end on what we call Saturday night. In fact using their reckoning, our Saturday night would have really been their Sunday evening or the dark part of Sunday. The meeting recorded in Acts 20 was held on the dark part of Sunday, seeing that the dark part of a day begins the day, and what we call today as Saturday night.

Proof of that lies in this version of the New English bible whose opening line says:

Acts 20:7-12 NEB
"On the Saturday night in our assembly, , "

Every indication points to a late night meeting by Paul which lasted till 12 midnight. Paul was on a farewell tour and knew he would not see these people again before his death (see verse 25). No wonder he preached so long and normally no weekly service would have lasted so long in those days, anyway. Paul was ready to depart on the morrow.

So what about the breaking of bread you might ask. Was this any indication that that occassion was a special and normal customary gathering? Absolutely not, because the breaking of bread was never confined to a day for they broke bread every day (see Acts 2:6) With that being the case the breaking of bread has no "Lord's day" significance whatsoever. In fact there is no scriptural indication in this passage that the first day was the norm or customary gathering for early christians. Nor is there the remotest clue of a change from sabbath to the first day of the week.

1 Cor. 16:1,2

1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

is this what you're using to show the change? , sorry but I find it funny how people see what isn't there. Anyway thee is no reference here about a customary gathering or church meeting. In fact the expression "lay by him in store" literally means form the Greek store at your house/home

In other words each christians was to save up something for the poor so that Paul woudn't waste time having to do all that when he passed through. They were written a letter from before telling them to store the stuff at home, and not at church as some would have us believe. These christiasn were sabbath keepers and that is why Paul suggested that they do some work on Sunday and make the necessary preparation. Its as simple as that. The raging famine that prevailed would no doubt have affected the poor brethren in Asia Minor. All bills and accounts were normally settled on a Sunday. Both the french and spanish bibles say the same thing about storing the stuff at home. In French it says:

" doit mettre de cote chez lui" which means "place by your side at home"

That is the solid truth my friend. Sooner or later the inevitable will unfold.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Nobody: 3:29pm On Mar 18, 2009
@bobbyaff,
why dont you continue with burnt offerings since it also preceded the law?
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Bobbyaf(m): 3:50pm On Mar 18, 2009
@ Chukwudi44

@bobbaff,
why dont you continue practising other aspects of the jewish law hypocrite ,no wonder you re ashamed of mentioning your church

If you were as ardent a bible student as you make out yourself to be you'd have noticed that the 7th-day sabbath was never a Jewish institution. The institution of the sabbath precedes the Jewish people. As a matter of fact even before Moses received the 10 commandments on mount Sinai, God reminded Moses to warn the Israelites to keep the sabbath which nullifies the argument that the sabbath is attached to the Old Covenant.

The Old Covenant as handed down by Moses was agreed upon after God delivered the 10 commandments on mount Sinai, hence the fact that God reminded Moses about proper sabbath keeping is highly suggestive that God still attached, and still does, spiritual significance to His holy day.

This was the instructions from Moses, in Exudus 16

"23 And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning. 24 And they laid it up till the morning, as Moses bade: and it did not stink, neither was there any worm therein. 25 And Moses said, Eat that to day; for to day is a sabbath unto the LORD: to day ye shall not find it in the field. 26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none."

This is what transpired,
"27 And it came to pass, that there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather, and they found none. 28 And the LORD said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws? 29 See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day. 30 So the people rested on the seventh day."

Its crystal clear that the principle of God's law existed long before it was transcribed on stone tablets.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Bobbyaf(m): 4:00pm On Mar 18, 2009
@ Chukwudi44

@bobbyaff, why dont you continue with burnt offerings since it also preceded the law?

Burnt offerings as you rightly know were ceremonial in nature. They pointed to the death of Christ. Now that Christ died they are no longer applicable as a part of the worship system.

There is no association between God's 7th-day sabbath and the ceremonial law. The law given to Moses on the mount was written by God's finger, while the laws of ceremonies were written in a book by Moses, and placed in the side of the Ark of the covenant.

God's divine law was placed within the ark itself showing the difference of significance. Bear in mind that the Ark of the covenant was a representation of God's throne in heaven. Moses was shown what the Ark in heaven looked like, and was instructed to build it exactly how he had seen it.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by KunleOshob(m): 4:09pm On Mar 18, 2009
Sabbath was instituited as a day of rest in the bible, there is NO commandment in the bible that says we should worship God on the sabbath day or go to any place of worship. Worshipping on the sabbath/ sunday is a tradition of men and not god ordained. God NEVER set any day apart for worship. I think it is myopic and carnal to subvert rest day for worship day they are two totally different things.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Bobbyaf(m): 4:52pm On Mar 18, 2009
@ KunleOshob

Sabbath was instituited as a day of rest in the bible, there is NO commandment in the bible that says we should worship God on the sabbath day or go to any place of worship.

grin Are you even listening to yourself? So what better combination can we get in having to rest from our work and worship at the same time. What better day to choose to reflect on God; to commune with Him without the thought of mundane matters than the sabbath, since logically it was designed to provide rest?

Worshipping on the sabbath/ sunday is a tradition of men and not god ordained. God NEVER set any day apart for worship. I think it is myopic and carnal to subvert rest day for worship day they are two totally different things.

Really! So why did God institute the sabbath if not for holy use? If you're required to maintain holiness during a time period isn't that in itself worship? Are you even thinking of the implications of keeping a day holy? What would be the significance of keeping a day holy if you're not going to worship?

That is why Genesis 2:3 says, "3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made."

If, as most will agree that the sabbath is a sign of acknowledgment that God is Creator, then what more fitting a day to celebrate that reality.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by KunleOshob(m): 5:40pm On Mar 18, 2009
Bobbyaf:

@ KunleOshob

grin Are you even listening to yourself? So what better combination can we get in having to rest from our work and worship at the same time. What better day to choose to reflect on God; to commune with Him without the thought of mundane matters than the sabbath, since logically it was designed to provide rest?

Really! So why did God institute the sabbath if not for holy use? If you're required to maintain holiness during a time period isn't that in itself worship? Are you even thinking of the implications of keeping a day holy? What would be the significance of keeping a day holy if you're not going to worship?

That is why Genesis 2:3 says, "3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made."

If, as most will agree that the sabbath is a sign of acknowledgment that God is Creator, then what more fitting a day to celebrate that reality.

I hope you are listening to yourself as well. I never said it was wrong to worship on the sabbath, all said is that there is NO commandment in the bible to worship on that day or any other day for that matter, that deciding to worship on that day is a tradition of man. So if you cannot point out to any explicit instruction directing worship on the sabbath i guess you should hold your piece. Keeping a day holy does not imply going to church. You can keep it holy in your house. and the bible's recommendation for keeping it holy was by resting. Not going to the temple. That said ,i am not against saturday worship or sunday worship i just don't like it when preachers manipulate scriptures to suit their whims and caprices. For all i car church services can be helld on wednesday
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Bobbyaf(m): 5:28pm On Mar 19, 2009
@ KunleOshob

I hope you are listening to yourself as well. I never said it was wrong to worship on the sabbath, all said is that there is NO commandment in the bible to worship on that day or any other day for that matter, that deciding to worship on that day is a tradition of man.

So why would you need to see a commandment when the evidence is abundantly clear that both Jews and gentiles worshiped on the sabbath? Worshiping on the sabbath is a natural outflow of such a commandment. Are all the other moral obligations of not stealing, committing murder, and lying followed by commandments found in the New Testament?

So if you cannot point out to any explicit instruction directing worship on the sabbath i guess you should hold your piece.

And I will ask you to explain as to why would God sanctify and make holy the sabbath, if He didn't anticipate holy activities on such a day. There are two sides to the 4th commandment, and that is to rest from labour, and to keep holy the day. Now, if you can tell me how to keep a day holy, without first being holy, and getting involved with holy activities that are in keeping with the requirements of the sabbath, then I will not see the need to respond to the obvious.

Keeping a day holy does not imply going to church.

So why did Jesus go to church on the sabbath as recorded in Luke 4:16?

You can keep it holy in your house.

Of course you can, but nothing beats the blessings that come from two or three gathering in my His name. Let me invite you to visit a sabbath service and see how we worship. I believe you'll like it.

and the bible's recommendation for keeping it holy was by resting. Not going to the temple. That said ,i am not against saturday worship or sunday worship i just don't like it when preachers manipulate scriptures to suit their whims and caprices. For all i car church services can be helld on wednesday

Tell that to Paul who customarily met with church members on every sabbath. As I have said before, what better day there is to carry out holy activities than on a holy day?
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by desthan(m): 12:50pm On Mar 30, 2009
@bobbyaf

you are absolutely on track, and let me buttress your point a little.

@topic.

After the persecution of christians by Emperor Nero and Diolectian, the devil (satan) realized the the spread of christianity was still everywhere, so he decided to corrupt the church from within, by making emperor constatine turn a christian. When Emperor constatine became a christian, christianity became the state religion as thousand of HEATHEN flocked into the churches, it's wasn't long before they had a dominating influence. Most of his top officials had been sun-worshippers and because the Roman government was getting shakky, constatine had to enact the sunday law to satisfy the sun-worshipping pagans and unite both the pagans, christians and the entire Roman Empires, and also remember that it was because of the heathen that paganism was introduced into the Roman catholic churches, since they were idol worshippers, images were brought into the churches, not to be worshipped, but either in place of books to give instruction to those who could not read, or to exicte devotion in the minds of others, but it was found that images brought into churches darkened rather than enlightened the minds of the ingnorant0degraded rather than exakted the ddevotion of the worshippers.

see my post: The Great Revelation ''the Mark Of The Beast''
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by ave4(f): 3:14pm On May 01, 2013
Hello pals,pls where's SDA church in Asaba situated?your response(s) will be highly appreciated. God bless us all,amen.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prepare Your Family For Rapture / What Good Character Have You Developed Since You Started Attending Your Church? / We Don't Want Evil Prophecy Concerning 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.