Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion (18910 Views)

Woman Births Triplets In Lagos, Dies After (Photos) / Carpenter Killed By Live High Tension Wire, Wife Dies Hours After (PIC) / Woman Who Cooks With Menstrual Blood Says "No Regrets" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Monzuur(m): 10:44pm On Jan 07, 2013
My Wife died because her Jehovah Witness family rejected blood transfusion – Husband

One Mr. Emmanuel Timothy has accused his wife of being responsible for his wife’s death.

The late Mrs Grace Emmanuel died on Monday after rejecting blood transfusion at the National Hospital in Abuja.

The aggrieved husband in an interview disclosed that his wife died “because her Jehovah Witness family rejected blood transfusion…they refused to consent to her having a blood transfusion.”

According to Timothy, his wife after having had a complicated miscarriage was made to undergo a surgery which further resulted into complications.

He said “When she complained of serious stomach ache, we rushed her to the National Hospital where the doctor said her stomach had to be flushed. But, before the flushing, they said she needed blood transfusion because she had already lost such much blood. However, she did not get the blood transfusion because her religion and family forbid blood transfusion. Over our dead body, it is better she dies than for her to take another person’s blood, they said to me.”

Timothy Emmanuel stated that he would be pressing charges against his late wife’s family.

“I have to press charges because they prevented my wife from receiving blood transfusion.

Until her death, the late Mrs Emmanuel was a police corporal assigned to the Wuse Zone 3 Police Division, Abuja.
http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/01/08/my-wife-died-jehovah-witness-family-rejected-blood-transfusion-husband/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=my-wife-died-jehovah-witness-family-rejected-blood-transfusion-husband

Wickedness,ignorance or wat wil u cal this? shocked

1 Like

Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by johnwizey: 10:58pm On Jan 07, 2013
honestly,they shld be tried. wat has religion got to do wt transfusion
i av my dislike for ds ppl called jehovah witness. nw a life is lost
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by greatgod2012(f): 11:53pm On Jan 07, 2013
Eeya...sorry about your lost.....sincerely, i sympathise with you.
Now, to d issue, im not trying to support those pple o but let me ask, was your wife practising your religion or her pple's religion?
If its her pple's religion, then you should have been familiar with some of their principles.
If its your religion, i dont see the relevance of their authority on you, you should have done d right thing b4 involving them at all.
That being said, i will advise you not to press any charges against them, what is done is done already and no amount of court charges can undone what has already been done. Allow your wife's soul to rest and forget about them, so that you dont spend additional money after loosing your wife....use d money for d kids d deceased left behind, rather than wasting it on court cases, and let God judge between you.
Another angle i look at it is dt, even if she got d blood transfusion and she was destined to die that day, she would still die. So, let them be and let your wife's soul rest. It is well!
Once again, sorry about your loss, and may God give you d fortitude to beat d loss.

16 Likes

Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Nobody: 1:59am On Jan 08, 2013
greatgod2012: Eeya...sorry about your lost.....sincerely, i sympathise with you.
Now, to d issue, im not trying to support those pple o but let me ask, was your wife practising your religion or her pple's religion?
If its her pple's religion, then you should have been familiar with some of their principles.
If its your religion, i dont see the relevance of their authority on you, you should have done d right thing b4 involving them at all.
That being said, i will advise you not to press any charges against them, what is done is done already and no amount of court charges can undone what has already been done. Allow your wife's soul to rest and forget about them, so that you dont spend additional money after loosing your wife....use d money for d kids d deceased left behind, rather than wasting it on court cases, and let God judge between you.
Another angle i look at it is dt, even if she got d blood transfusion and she was destined to die that day, she would still die. So, let them be and let your wife's soul rest. It is well!
Once again, sorry about your loss, and may God give you d fortitude to beat d loss.

I have to strongly disagree with the bolded greatgod. This attitude of leaving people for God to judge is a major reason why we will never progress in Nigeria. Why are we just not interested in holding people accountable for their actions? The law suit is not to bring his wife back, it is to hold the people complicit in her death accountable. If we can't demand accountability from the people you deal with on a day to day basis, how can we demand it from our leaders who we will probably never have any physical contact with? That is how we are leaving them to God as the people are being fed to the dogs on a daily basis. Honestly whenever I hear that phrase as a deterrent for demanding accountability it makes my stomach churn. We already have the legal system we need to get judgments against offenders, why should God come down specially to come and judge again? It's the same as praying for healing without availing oneself of the God given opportunity for medical care.

That being said, I don't believe that the man in question has a case against her parents unless they had a power of attorney for the lady that died. Without a power of attorney, they are not the ones that should be making her medical decisions. If they were making the medical decisions directly, then his case should be against the doctor/hospital for taking orders from the family without legal documentation to support that. The more likely scenario is that the woman decided herself not to get a blood transfusion based on her own religious convictions upon which she was raised. The onus has to fall on the woman herself for making such a decision concerning her own health. Whether she got spiritual guidance from her family members or not, she still called the shots at the end of the day. I actually will put some blame on him for not chasing her family out of the hospital with a damn cutlass when they were helping to put the life of his wife in jeopardy with their spiritual counsel. Or was the guy estranged from his wife and is just now flexing?

I certainly don't know all the specifics but these are my immediate thoughts.

32 Likes

Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by miredia(m): 2:05am On Jan 08, 2013
ileobatojo:

I have to strongly disagree with the bolded greatgod. This attitude of leaving people for God to judge is a major reason why we will never progress in Nigeria. Why are we just not interested in holding people accountable for their actions? The law suit is not to bring his wife back, it is to hold the people complicit in her death accountable. If we can't demand accountability from the people you deal with on a day to day basis, how can we demand it from our leaders who we will probably never have any physical contact with? That is how we are leaving them to God as the people are being fed to the dogs on a daily basis. Honestly whenever I hear that phrase as a deterrent for demanding accountability it makes my stomach churn. We already have the legal system we need to get judgments against offenders, why should God come down specially to come and judge again? It's the same as praying for healing without availing oneself of the God given opportunity for medical care.

That being said, I don't believe that the man in question has a case against her parents unless they had a power of attorney for the lady that died. Without a power of attorney, they are not the ones that should be making her medical decisions. If they were making the medical decisions directly, then his case should be against the doctor/hospital for taking orders from the family without legal documentation to support that. The more likely scenario is that the woman decided herself not to get a blood transfusion based on her own religious convictions upon which she was raised. The onus has to fall on the woman herself for making such a decision concerning her own health. Whether she got spiritual guidance from her family members or not, she still called the shots at the end of the day. I actually will put some blame on him for not chasing her family out of the hospital with a damn cutlass when they were putting the life of his wife in jeopardy. Or was the guy estranged from his wife and is just now flexing?

brilliant piece and how hv u being aunty
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Nobody: 2:10am On Jan 08, 2013
miredia: brilliant piece and how hv u being aunty

I'm doing well thank you. Happy new year!
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by miredia(m): 2:12am On Jan 08, 2013
It's absolutely appalling. Did she consent or was subjected to the rejection process by her parents?
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Gambrosia: 2:23am On Jan 08, 2013
NIGERIAN BUSY BODIES WILL NEVER LEARN TO MIND THEIR DOGGONE BUSINESSES! undecided
Not like they particularly care about the individuals. . .JUST CONTROL FREAKS! kiss

If she was a JW. . . then I think it is a shut case.
I think her wishes were respected.
THE WILL OF HER GOD WAS OBEYED!
I have no problem with this. kiss
Instead of being uncessarily judgemental. . . LEARN TO RESPECT THE WISHES OF OTHERS! kiss

http://m.digitaljournal.com/article/246767?noredir=1

14 Year Old Jehovah's Witness Dennis Lindberg Dies After Refusing Blood Transfusion

Nov 29, 2007 by Pamela Jean

[size=20pt]A Washington State judge allowed Dennis to make his own decision regarding his refusal to accept a lifesaving blood transfusion. [/size] He suffered from leukemia, and the chemotherapy was destroying his red blood cells. Without the transfusion - certain death.

Read more: http://m.digitaljournal.com/article/246767?noredir=1#ixzz2HLKdlQss

Thank our gods for civilized parts of the world! kiss

5 Likes

Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by miredia(m): 2:27am On Jan 08, 2013
ileobatojo:

I'm doing well thank you. Happy new year!
Good to know and happy new year too my runaway smart friend.
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by miredia(m): 2:29am On Jan 08, 2013
Gambrosia: If she was a JW. . . then I think it is a shut case.
I think her wishes were respected.
THE WILL OF HER GOD WAS OBEYED!
I have no problem with this. kiss
Instead of being uncessarily judgemental. . . LEARN TO RESPECT THE WISHES OF OTHERS! kiss

http://m.digitaljournal.com/article/246767?noredir=1

Is that basically a norm in their church?
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Nobody: 2:32am On Jan 08, 2013
miredia: Is that basically a norm in their church?

It is a norm in Jehovah witness church all over the world I believe. At least in the US, there are countless cases of them refusing blood. They are well known in hospitals for this.
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Gambrosia: 2:32am On Jan 08, 2013
miredia: Is that basically a norm in their church?

YES!
EVEN ON THEIR DEATH BEDS. . .THEY REFUSE BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS!
I work in the health care industry.
The LAST thing you want to do is TRANSFUSE a patient WITHOUT HIS OR HER CONSENT!
Especially JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES.
You will end up in JAIL FOR LIFE! kiss

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-491791/Jehovahs-Witness-mother-dies-refusing-blood-transfusion-giving-birth-twins.html

Jehovah's Witness mother dies after refusing blood transfusion after giving birth to twins

By LIZ HULL, ANDY DOLAN and DAN NEWLING

Last updated at 22:26 05 November 2007

A young mother died hours after giving birth to twins because her faith prohibited a life-saving blood transfusion.

Emma Gough, 22, was able to hold her son and daughter after the natural delivery, but suffered a sudden haemorrhage and lost a great deal of blood.

[size=20pt]As a Jehovah's Witness, Mrs Gough had signed a form before the birth insisting that she should not be given blood.

[/size]

Staff at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital begged her husband Anthony, 24, who is also a Jehovah's Witness, and other relatives to allow the transfusion. But followers believe that blood transfusions are prohibited by the Bible and the family would not sanction the treatment.

Scroll down for more ...

Blissfully happy: Emma and Anthony Gough on their wedding day

Mrs Gough, a shop worker from Dawley, Telford, Shropshire, died early on October 25.

The twins are being cared for by their father, who yesterday led the mourners at his wife's funeral.

Mr Gough said: "We are coping the best we can. There will be an inquest and issues will arise from that."

The couple married on the Caribbean island of Barbados in December 2005 in a ceremony attended by 30 family members and friends.

At the time, Mrs Gough was a secretary working for her husband's gas fitting and plumbing business.

Friends said the Goughs were teenage sweethearts and Emma had been "ecstatic" to learn she was expecting twins.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-491791/Jehovahs-Witness-mother-dies-refusing-blood-transfusion-giving-birth-twins.html#ixzz2HLNAUlJx
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by miredia(m): 2:34am On Jan 08, 2013
ileobatojo:

It is a norm in Jehovah witness church all over the world I believe. At least in the US, there are countless cases of them refusing blood. They are well known in hospitals for this.
oh really, I wasn't cognizant of that. Hey are u in the U.S?
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by miredia(m): 2:36am On Jan 08, 2013
Gambrosia:

YES!
EVEN ON THEIR DEATH BEDS. . .THEY REFUSE BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS!
I work in the health care industry.
The LAST thing you want to do is TRANSFUSE a patient WITHOUT HIS OR HER CONSENT!
Especially JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES.
You will end up in JAIL FOR LIFE! kiss
wow!! what's the theoritical basis for rejection
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Gambrosia: 2:38am On Jan 08, 2013
miredia: wow!! what's the theoritical basis for rejection

IT IS RELIGIOUSLY BASED. . .no theoretical basis! kiss
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by miredia(m): 2:40am On Jan 08, 2013
Gambrosia:

IT IS RELIGIOUSLY BASED. . .no theoretical basis! kiss
do they view it as an abomination or a contaminant to their spirituality. Pardon my curiosity.
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Nobody: 2:40am On Jan 08, 2013
miredia: oh really, I wasn't cognizant of that. Hey are u in the U.S?

Yes o, they will seek every other option possible including useless options instead of taking blood even if blood is the only thing that can save their life. That's why I don't believe the man has a case against the family, ultimately, it was likely the wife's decision since this is her own personal religious conviction as well being a Jehovah's witness. Unless he's going to sue the family for brainwashing..

I am in the US.

2 Likes

Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Gambrosia: 2:43am On Jan 08, 2013
miredia: do they view it as an abomination or a contaminant to their spirituality. Pardon my curiosity.

Both! kiss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah%27s_Witnesses_and_blood_transfusions

[size=20pt]
Jehovah's Witnesses believe that the Bible prohibits ingesting blood and that Christians should therefore not accept blood transfusions or donate or store their own blood for transfusion.[1] Watch Tower Society publications teach that the Witnesses' refusal of transfusions of whole blood or its four primary components—red cells, white cells, platelets and plasma—is a non-negotiable religious stand and that those who respect life as a gift from God do not try to sustain life by taking in blood,
[/size]

I can't blame them.

Similar cases:

http://www.sthelensreporter.co.uk/news/local/jehovah_s_witness_died_at_hospital_after_refusing_blood_transfusion_1_3572183
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by miredia(m): 2:45am On Jan 08, 2013
Gambrosia:

Both! kiss
oh I see. As long as they are comfortable with it, then that's alright
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by miredia(m): 2:47am On Jan 08, 2013
Gambrosia:

Both! kiss

I can't blame them.
another question chief. Why would u say u can't blame them?
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by miredia(m): 2:51am On Jan 08, 2013
ileobatojo:

Yes o, they will seek every other option possible including useless options instead of taking blood even if blood is the only thing that can save their life. That's why I don't believe the man has a case against the family, ultimately, it was likely the wife's decision since this is her own personal religious conviction as well being a Jehovah's witness. Unless he's going to sue the family for brainwashing..

I am in the US.
What city? I'm curious about u.
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Gambrosia: 2:53am On Jan 08, 2013
miredia: another question chief. Why would u say u can't blame them?

Do you understand the implications of accepting blood from UNKNOWN sources?
These are scary times.
Pray that you don't have to be faced with such a choice.
I commend their bravery!
Too bad it is based on religious dogma!
I WOULD RATHER DIE. . .THAN ACCEPT BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS FROM ANYONE!!!!!
I have in the past. . .based on ignorance.
NEVER AGAIN! kiss

3 Likes

Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by miredia(m): 2:55am On Jan 08, 2013
Gambrosia:

Do you understand the implications of accepting blood from UNKNOWN sources?
are u implying spiritual or health concerns?
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Gambrosia: 2:56am On Jan 08, 2013
miredia: are u implying spiritual or health concerns?

Health concerns of course!

BLOOD PRODUCTS ARE NOT SAFE!

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/9894/1/Is-the-Blood-Supply-Safe.html

[size=20pt]Blood banks can't test for all infectious organisms; there are just too many.[/size] Instead, banks rely partly on a series of questions to screen out potential carriers. One set of questions focuses on identifying people most likely to be carrying the AIDS virus. Among those are gay men, intravenous-drug users, hemophiliacs, [size=20pt]recent immigrants from Haiti and certain parts of Africa,[/size] cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy and people who have engaged in prostitution anytime since 1977, as well as their sexual partners

4 Likes

Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Nobody: 3:04am On Jan 08, 2013
miredia: What city? I'm curious about u.

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Not willing to put out that info. Please, let's not derail the thread. smiley
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by miredia(m): 3:13am On Jan 08, 2013
Gambrosia:

Health concerns of course!

BLOOD PRODUCTS ARE NOT SAFE!

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/9894/1/Is-the-Blood-Supply-Safe.html

I lost a girlfriend yearz back cos of something related to this. Blood transfusion, I think it had to do with platelets or something like that
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by miredia(m): 3:14am On Jan 08, 2013
ileobatojo:

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Not willing to put out that info. Please, let's not derail the thread. smiley
understandable aunty
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Gambrosia: 3:22am On Jan 08, 2013
miredia: I lost a girlfriend yearz back cos of something related to this. Blood transfusion, I think it had to do with platelets or something like that

No surprises.
Anything is possible.
Probably a transfusion reaction.

Sorry to read about that.
Condolences.
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by miredia(m): 3:29am On Jan 08, 2013
Gambrosia:

No surprises.
Anything is possible.
Probably a transfusion reaction.

Sorry to read about that.
Condolences.
thanks man, that was about 11 yrs ago as an undergrad. The sad thing was I kept getting blood but it wouldn't just stay on her.
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Nobody: 3:40am On Jan 08, 2013
ileobatojo:

That being said, I don't believe that the man in question has a case against her parents unless they had a power of attorney for the lady that died. Without a power of attorney, they are not the ones that should be making her medical decisions. If they were making the medical decisions directly, then his case should be against the doctor/hospital for taking orders from the family without legal documentation to support that. The more likely scenario is that the woman decided herself not to get a blood transfusion based on her own religious convictions upon which she was raised. The onus has to fall on the woman herself for making such a decision concerning her own health. Whether she got spiritual guidance from her family members or not, she still called the shots at the end of the day. I actually will put some blame on him for not chasing her family out of the hospital with a damn cutlass when they were helping to put the life of his wife in jeopardy with their spiritual counsel. Or was the guy estranged from his wife and is just now flexing?

I agree. I wholeheartedly agree
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by free2ryhme: 3:50am On Jan 08, 2013
2 Peter 1:3 NIV

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.

as for what i read i #smh
Re: Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion by Nobody: 9:35am On Jan 08, 2013
Ethics is doing what is right, no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right.

Proudly Atheist

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

His Wife Has Too Many Male Friends / Who Should Sit At The Front Seat Of Your Car; Wife Or Friend? / Girls Are More Caring Than Boys. Do You Agree?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.