Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,335 members, 7,819,169 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories (18676 Views)

Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) / Ex Muslims Share Your Conversion Stories Here. / Atheist Agenda For 2013. All Atheists Please Comment! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Bella3(f): 7:25pm On Jan 18, 2013
inurmind:

Not bad, seems you are a lyrics person, I'll show you more.wink
cant wait. I love music that can send me to sleep or make me cry lol.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jan 18, 2013
*smothers both culprits with a pillow, ships their bodies to NL recycle bin with a 'for mclatunji: handle roughly' note attached*

@Frosbel: u see wetin ur 'patience' dey cause...
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Bella3(f): 7:30pm On Jan 18, 2013
musKeeto: *smothers both culprits with a pillow, ships their bodies to NL recycle bin with a 'for mclatunji: handle roughly' note attached*

na so u hate me reach? To mclatunji? *faints*
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Ishilove: 7:39pm On Jan 18, 2013
musKeeto:
Woof... cheesy
Grrrrrrr. . . wink
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jan 18, 2013
BĂ©lla3: cant wait. I love music that can send me to sleep or make me cry lol.

lol, no problem, infact I think I know a song you'll love. Its called ''beneath your beautiful'' by labrinth ft emeli sande, really nice theme and lyrics.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by manmustwac(m): 12:51am On Jan 19, 2013
Muskeeto ishilove Bella3 & inurmind you guys are derailing this thread. angry
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 1:31am On Jan 19, 2013
[quote author=2good]

1. Your conversion story: I was born into religion. My whole family is deeply religious so I got it by default. It was installed in my brain from birth.

Okay , interesting.

2. Experiences in the church/mosque: I started as a Roman catholic as a Child and started going to Pentecostal church around the age of 6. I was later an acclaimed born again Christian as expected of me by the society. I preached(disturbed) in public places including bus and I was very much involved in school fellowship in Secondary School up to JSS 3.

Sorry can you explain what you mean by acclaimed born again Christian and describe this experience.

thanks.

3. Duration as believer: I'll say 15 years

Did you have any personal experiences with GOD , as in , baptism of the Holy Spirit, his speaking to you through your inner mind , supernatural encounters etc.

4. When and why you began to lose faith.: Age 15

please expatiate !

5. Your deconversion story: [color=#990000] Things started to change when I entered Science class in SS 1 and started becoming very academically conscious and studying deeply. As I became more knowledgeable, I made up my mind that everything I had been thought from birth concerning religion was false and my parent treathen to kick me out of the house for refusing to go to church. It would take me between 2-3 years battle with my parent for them to allow me live my life the way I want to. Till today every single one of them think my soul is lost to the devil so they fast sometimes for me to go back to their god but I just laugh and tell them to pray for something else and leave me alone

Strange, we all did science at school, in fact , I heard about evolution etc, but it never shook my faith in GOD , yet I was not born again or in a personal relationship with GOD.

I think, no disrespect, that your parents made a fatal mistake by threatening to kick you out of the house, this is the problem with Nigerian Christianity, it is not by force, only LOVE CONQUERS. In my case my parent withdrew my school fees at university when I left the catholic church , but that changed nothing, I never cowered in the face of this threat.

If your parents had been patient and nurturingly exposed scripture , maybe things might have been different, but hey this is me being presumptuous, forgive me if this is the case.

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 1:38am On Jan 19, 2013
frosbel: Strange, we all did science at school, in fact , heard about evolution etc, but it never shook my faith in GOD , yet I was not born again or in a personal relationship with GOD.

I think, no disrespect, that you parents made a fatal flaw by kicking you out of the house, this is the problem with Nigerian Christianity, it is not by force, only [b]LOVE CONQUERS. In my case my parent withdrew my school fees at university when I left the catholic school , but that changed nothing, I never cowered in the face of this threat.

If your parent had been patient and nurturingly exposed scripture , maybe things might have been different, but hey this is me being presumptuous, forgive me if this is the case.

It is not only Nigerian parents. Western parents kick their children out for not following the religion.

Dude, can you be mature for once to stop talking about people's parents when you dont have the facts? What do yo mean by his parents not being exposed to the scripture? Where in the bible does it say to spare the rod?
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 1:42am On Jan 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

It is not only Nigerian parents. Western parents kick their children out for not following the religion.

Dude, can you be mature for once to stop talking about people's parents when you dont have the facts? What do yo mean by his parents not being exposed to the scripture? Where in the bible does it say to spare the rod?

Do you understand ENGLISH ?

Read between the lines and especially the statement about presumption etc.

Grow up and stop acting childish, there are others who want to learn here , rather than throw around insults and abuse , and defacing well intended articles.

thanks.

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 1:49am On Jan 19, 2013
frosbel:

Do you understand ENGLISH ?

Read between the lines and especially the statement about presumption etc.

Grow up and stop acting childish, there are others who want to learn here , rather than throw around insults and abuse , and defacing well intended articles.

thanks.

1) I'm an atheist and we have long established that this thread was made to try and claim that atheists didnt truly understand christianity and so, they left.

2) Is being presumptious a virtue according to your bible because to ethical people, it carries negative connotations?
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 1:54am On Jan 19, 2013
Logicboy03:

2) Is being presumptious a virtue according to your bible because to ethical people, it carries negative connotations?

Is the bolded a joke , what do you know about ethics ?

Go to bed young man and stop trolling.

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 2:02am On Jan 19, 2013
frosbel:

Is the bolded a joke , what do you know about ethics ?

Go to bed young man and stop trolling.

You think ethics is a product of religion? grin grin grin grin

Dont embarrass yourself
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 11:02am On Jan 19, 2013
Frosbel and Logicboy you guys are beginning to sound like two wives sharing one husband.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Ishilove: 11:22am On Jan 19, 2013
brokoto: Frosbel and Logicboy you guys are beginning to sound like two wives sharing one husband.
buhahahahahah!!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jan 19, 2013
brokoto: Frosbel and Logicboy you guys are beginning to sound like two wives sharing one husband.
I like the company.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by PastorKun(m): 12:24pm On Jan 19, 2013
musKeeto: *smothers both culprits with a pillow, ships their bodies to NL recycle bin with a 'for mclatunji: handle roughly' note attached*

@Frosbel: u see wetin ur 'patience' dey cause...

You are yet to tell us how you became a mosquito.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jan 19, 2013
Pastor Kun:

You are yet to tell us how you became a mosquito.
Lol.. Na long story o... cheesy
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by PastorKun(m): 12:59pm On Jan 19, 2013
musKeeto:
Lol.. Na long story o... cheesy

We love long stories smiley we are all ears wink
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jan 19, 2013

more like Uncle and Nephew !

2 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jan 19, 2013
I have started the ball rolling with 2good's testimony, one at a time please.

When he replies we will continue to discuss.

MusKeeto and Cyrexx next.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 12:00pm On Feb 24, 2013
frosbel: I have started the ball rolling with 2good's testimony, one at a time please.

When he replies we will continue to discuss.

MusKeeto and Cyrexx next.

And the ball has been rolling... No end in sight... Hehee..

Bump...
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by ismokeweed1(f): 5:07pm On May 05, 2013
Logicboy03:

How many times do I have to tell my story?

-22 years a catholic
-told about slavery and christianity
-read about slavery and christianity
-read about religion and psychology
-left christianity

I can tell you that leaving christianity has opened my brain. I see
things from a clear perspective now. I dont resort to God to things I
cant explain. I dont see use a 2000 year old book to judge others;
gays, pagans and unbelievers.

No pastor can ver give you freedom. No pastor will tell you to read the
God delusion for yourself and compare it with the bible. Pastors will
always give you parts of the bible THEY WANT you to read. A pastor can
not get tithes or offerings from a self aware person

erm . . . escuse me , but arent you the guy that CLAIMED TO BE CONVERTED IN A BAR IN UK BY A WHITE DRUNKEN RACIST?

thats you right . . dont tell me you have decided to drop that story for this one. that one is waayyy more funny and interesting than this lie you posted here pal

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 5:36pm On May 05, 2013
i-smoke-weed:

erm . . . escuse me , but arent you the guy that CLAIMED TO BE CONVERTED IN A BAR IN UK BY A WHITE DRUNKEN RACIST?

thats you right . . dont tell me you have decided to drop that story for this one. that one is waayyy more funny and interesting than this lie you posted here pal

grin grin
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 7:06pm On May 05, 2013
i-smoke-weed:

Lol......the first.line of my post here......whi do you think told me about christianity and slavery?

Are you too foolish to see that the stories add up?
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 7:24pm On May 05, 2013
musKeeto: DURATION AS A BELIEVER: About 3 years

EXPERIENCES IN THE CHURCH/MOSQUE
New beliefs and attitudes. Shocked family. Amused friends.

Welcome to Christianity. The fire was burning in my soul. The zeal for the Lord was overflowing. I had an insatiable hunger to study the Word. The Word was my meal, my everything. I didn't become fanatic in the real sense of the word. I was just really happy that the Bible had begun to make some sense to me. I had never known that there was so much to learn from the Bible. I studied the New Testament a lot. The Book of Hebrews and Romans make excellent reading for New Believers (NLT and Amplified versions were my fav). I registered for baptismal classes and got baptized some four months later.

As a worker in church, I begun to get closer to most of the church personnel. There were Christians who lived what they preached and there were those who well... let's skip that part. I could ignore them now though. My salvation wasn't hinged on their lifestyle but Christ the Solid Rock.

But the more you study the Bible and Christ's teachings, the more you become aware of the filth called 'doctrines' that's prevalent in most churches today. I could never understand why people would call a fellow man 'DADDY GO'. This is in direct violation of Scripture, but people would find a way around it. I also didn't feel comfortable with the idea of praying down fire on my enemies. I disagreed with tithing and seed faith offerings. I rather put my money to better use by giving it to those in the church I was aware needed it. It's important to note that I didn't become a douchebag because of my 'increased' knowledge. I didn't go around telling people that paying tithes was wrong. I believed at that time, the 'Holy Spirit' would lead to the truth. I've since come to realize that what Christians call the HOLY SPIRIT is simply your conscience speaking to you. It's just you.

Two years later, I had finished my diploma. I applied to a school in India and got admission to study a degree in Information Technology. My faith was about to go through troubled waters...

Funny, i once went through a similar period such as this. Even though i consider myself a born again christian, i have come to realize that 95% of what you see and hear in the church today are a direct contravention of the gospel of Christ. I also agree that much of what "christians" today call the Holy Ghost is nothing but their conscience after eating a bowl of hot amala. Does the holy Spirit speak to us and direct us still? YES but He will NEVER do so outside the dictates of the bible.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 7:28pm On May 05, 2013
davidylan:

Funny, i once went through a similar period such as this. Even though i consider myself a born again christian, i have come to realize that 95% of what you see and hear in the church today are a direct contravention of the gospel of Christ. I also agree that much of what "christians" today call the Holy Ghost is nothing but their conscience after eating a bowl of hot amala. Does the holy Spirit speak to us and direct us still? YES but He will NEVER do so outside the dictates of the bible.

Shut up. You are as false as the xtians u condemn......was it the holy spirit that led you to be a nairaland troll?
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 7:28pm On May 05, 2013
davidylan:

Hmmmmmmm.....
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 7:31pm On May 05, 2013
Could not quote Frosbel's post but i wholeheartedly agree... the problem with Nigerian christianity is numerous but i will summarize into the following bullet points:

1. Force - The gospel is NOT by force. Christ did not bully, threaten and curse the disciples into following Him. This is a serious issue with strongly conservative parents.

2. Hypocrisy - It is not he who sings the loudest, prays the longest and carries the most tattered bible...

3. Convenience - Many are "christians" only because they think that is the only hope to a "breakthrough". Once they get their breakthrough they are out the door faster than when they came in.

4. Hate - I have only just begun to awaken to this fact... you will never win over an atheist by mocking and condemning them to hell with one side of your mouth... all that does is confirm to them why Christ cannot be the the same God of love, mercy and grace you preach to them with the other side of the mouth.

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 7:32pm On May 05, 2013
Logicboy03:

Shut up. You are as false as the xtians u condemn......was it the holy spirit that led you to be a nairaland troll?

lol for someone you call a "troll", i certainly spend far less time here than you do. My last post here must have been a full month ago.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 7:33pm On May 05, 2013
davidylan: Could not quote Frosbel's post but i wholeheartedly agree... the problem with Nigerian christianity is numerous but i will summarize into the following bullet points:

1. Force - The gospel is NOT by force. Christ did not bully, threaten and curse the disciples into following Him. This is a serious issue with strongly conservative parents.

2. Hypocrisy - It is not he who sings the loudest, prays the longest and carries the most tattered bible...

3. Convenience - Many are "christians" only because they think that is the only hope to a "breakthrough". Once they get their breakthrough they are out the door faster than when they came in.

4. Hate - I have only just begun to awaken to this fact... you will never win over an atheist by mocking and condemning them to hell with one side of your mouth... all that does is confirm to them why Christ cannot be the the same God of love, mercy and grace you preach to them with the other side of the mouth.
cool
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 7:33pm On May 05, 2013
davidylan:

lol for someone you call a "troll", i certainly spend far less time here than you do. My last post here must have been a full month ago.

Ok
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by ismokeweed1(f): 8:22pm On May 05, 2013
Logicboy03:

Lol......the first.line of my post here......whi do you think told me about christianity and slavery?

Are you too foolish to see that the stories add up?

my dear i feel like laughing this evening. I DARE YOU TO POST THE FULL STORY OF YOUR MEETING WITH THAT DRUNK WHITE RACIST RIGHT HERE FOR ALL TO SEE, after all you said he was your first contact and what you both talked about that day is the main reason and basis for your turning away from God.

you think you have a good ground to discredit God, but in reality you are just a common 'empty head' with an internet enabled phone, spare mb and a lot of vaccum UPSTAIRS

we are waiting for the EXPANDED VERSION of that your conversion story (especially the first line), dont summarize it for us this time okay.

OlooSHi !!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Seductive And Subtle Pornographic Content That Deposit Lusts In Your Heart / Looking For Rev. Fr. Mbaka's Contact. / Free Sex Japan!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.