Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,068 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:56 PM

Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship (9823 Views)

NECO SSCE May/june 2015 – Examination Timetable / 2013 NECO SSCE Timetable / Check Your Neco Ssce June/july 2011 Result With Your Gsm Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jan 10, 2013
By VINCENT UJUMADU
....AWKA

MISS Sandra Anazor from Anambra State, who emerged the overall best in the last National Examinations Council, NECO, and West African School Certificate, WASC, examinations, has been awarded scholarship by Anambra State Government to further her education in the university.

The recipient studied at Federal Government Girl’s College, Onitsha, for the junior secondary and Queen of the Rosary College, Onitshafor the senior secondary education.

During her school years, she won many laurels at various academic competitions

Receiving Anazor at Government House, Awka, yesterday, Governor Peter Obi handed her a cheque of N2, 220,000 to cover the six years study at the University of Ibadan, where she had already secured admission to study medicine.

Obi, on the occasion, said he was proud of Anazor’s accomplishments, adding that performances such as hers encouraged him to keep visiting secondary schools in the state to encourage students to take their studies seriously.

He used the occasion to list Anambra people who he described as champions in their fields, explaining that the state would keep searching for such people wherever they are with the view to presenting them as role models to the younger ones.

The governor gave example with the heart centre his administration was building at St. Joseph’s Hospital, Adazi-Nnukwu, which was named after a foremost American–based Cardiologist, Dr. Joe Nwiloh, from Anambra State, adding that other Anambrarians who have excelled in their fields would be similarly recognised.

Obi used the opportunity to call on the people of the stateto see education as the most portent instrument for competition.

Principals of the two secondary schools Anazor attended, Rev Sr. Maria Nwankwo of QRC Mrs. Chinyere Nzerem of FGGC, who were at the ceremony, expressed happiness at her performance and pledged to continue to produce exceptional students in their schools.

In her speech, Anagor commended the state government for the gesture, stating that Governor Obi has proved beyond doubt that he loves education.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/01/best-neco-ssce-candidate-gets-anambra-scholarship/

Anambra adiba go mma!!

6 Likes

Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jan 10, 2013
In my opinion, Peter Obi remains of the best governor in Nigeria partly for his giant strides in health and education, including the returning of ALL (over 800 in number) the missionary schools back to their original owners. In addition, the state govt continues to pay teacher's salaries and give subventions for infrastructural upgrade in these schools despite the fact that the state govt no longer owns them.

This singular action will guarantee moral rejuvenation and improved quality of education in Anambra for many years to come.

The winner in all of these is the FUTURE of Anambra and by extension, Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by asha80(m): 11:18pm On Jan 10, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: In my opinion, Peter Obi remains the best governor in Nigeria for the sole reason that he returned ALL (over 800 in number) the missionary schools back to their original owners. In addition, the state govt continues to pay teacher's salaries and give subventions for infrastructural upgrade in these schools despite the fact that the state govt no longer owns them.

This singular action will guarantee moral rejuvenation and improved quality of education in Anambra for many years to come.

The winner in all of these is the FUTURE of Anambra and by extension, Nigeria.

he is not the only one that did that.Ogun,Edo,Delta,Enugu and others did so too.it is just that there seemed to be higher concetration of then mission schools in the present day geogarphical anambra area.
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by achi4u(m): 11:19pm On Jan 10, 2013
congrat to her and big thank you to the gov.
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by achi4u(m): 11:23pm On Jan 10, 2013
asha 80:

he is not the only one that did that.Ogun,Edo,Delta,Enugu and others did so too.it is just that there seemed to be higher concetration of then mission schools in the present day geogarphical anambra area.
you're nt far from the truth
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:26pm On Jan 10, 2013
Front page kia kia.

My Omanbala is the greatest...The enemies of Peter Obi and Omanbala must be humbled....Odenigbo Aroli.
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:38pm On Jan 10, 2013
asha 80:

But they did so after Peter Obi started it. Basicly,the learned from him.
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jan 10, 2013
asha 80:

Are you sure? I'm in Enugu but I never heard such? The present governor of Enugu, Sullivan Chime, is doing VERY well in re-constructing Enugu city road networks and street lights but education and health are receiving ZERO attention.

As for Edo, the last I heard was that the governor was working out modalities to return the schools.

I consider the forceful take over of missionary schools as one of the most silly, SHORT-SIGHTED and SENSELESS decisions of govt in the history of Nigeria.

I give kudos to any governor that is courageous enough to return these schools, while still finding a way to continue funding them.

We need beautiful schools but beautiful schools with rotten teachers is equal to ZERO.

1 Like

Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by asha80(m): 11:53pm On Jan 10, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Are you sure? I'm in Enugu but I never heard such? The present governor of Enugu, Sullivan Chime, is doing VERY well in re-constructing Enugu city road networks and street lights but education and health are receiving ZERO attention.

As for Edo, the last I heard was that the governor was working out modalities to return the schools.

I consider the forceful take over of missionary schools as one of the most silly, SHORT-SIGHTED and SENSELESS decisions of govt in the history of Nigeria.

I give kudos to any governor that is courageous enough to return these schools, while still finding a way to continue funding them.

We need beautiful schools but beautiful schools with rotten teachers is equal to ZERO.

i know education in enugu recently has been receiving low bugdet for education but i always thought that the mission schools there have been returned to their previous owners.as for edo still working out modalities?really?i thought he was through with it.

the government in the early seventies when they took over these schools made a worst possible blunder.if they wanted to make education cheaper then(as that was their excuse)why did they build more public schools and make them cheaper instead taking over the ones the churches were running efffectively?

NRI PRIEST:

NRI PRIEST:

not sure who did first although i know obi started with secondary ones first before primary.
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:48am On Jan 11, 2013
Asha80,I'm telling you right now that the idea came from Obi and people followed suit when they saw the gains.

3 Likes

Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by Nobody: 7:54am On Jan 11, 2013
@Moderator,
Front page pls!
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by naptu2: 8:01am On Jan 11, 2013
The Lagos State Government returned seized missionary schools back to their original owners in 2001 (eg Methodist Boys High School, Igbobi College, St Gregory's College, St Finbarrs College, Our Lady of Apostles, Ansarul-deen School, etc).

June 18th 1999 "Bola Tinubu defends return of mission schools" http://asiwajubolatinubu.com/archives/news/1999/06/18/19990618N01.html

@ post. We need to provide adequate guidance and support to such stellar students because the future of Nigeria lies in their hands. (I remember that Mariam Babangida established a special school for gifted children in Abuja. I wonder what happened to it). Congrats to her and kudos to the governor.

Edit: The special school is the Federal Government Academy, Suleja and it was established by the Federal Government, not Mariam Babangida http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Government_Academy,_Suleja
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by Slizbeat(m): 8:13am On Jan 11, 2013
Congrats to her. Is there any fund set up by the Anambra state govt to her indigenes for educational purposes? Cos i sent a mail to the minister of information, anambra, but over 2months now, i havnt received any reply. Please help me out, does anambra fund her indigenes who needs funds to study just like kogi e.t.c does?? I googled it but could find.
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by dridowu: 9:46am On Jan 11, 2013
To University of Ibadan******100% in support of dat******
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by Nobody: 9:46am On Jan 11, 2013
naptu2: The Lagos State Government returned seized missionary schools back to their original owners in 2001 (eg Methodist Boys High School, Igbobi College, St Gregory's College, St Finbarrs College, Our Lady of Apostles, Ansarul-deen School, etc).

June 18th 1999 "Bola Tinubu defends return of mission schools" http://asiwajubolatinubu.com/archives/news/1999/06/18/19990618N01.html

@ post. We need to provide adequate guidance and support to such stellar students because the future of Nigeria lies in their hands. (I remember that Mariam Babangida established a special school for gifted children in Abuja. I wonder what happened to it). Congrats to her and kudos to the governor.

Edit: The special school is the Federal Government Academy, Suleja and it was established by the Federal Government, not Mariam Babangida http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Government_Academy,_Suleja
Ok. Good to know that. But perhaps it didn't make news then because they were few. Also the approach in Anambra was different because the state govt still fund those schools well (teachers salaries and subventions) despite not owning those schools.
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by donsax: 9:47am On Jan 11, 2013
Why MISS Sandra Anazor from Anambra State going to university ibadan to study medicine? Why not stay at eastern corrupt universities? I rep south west universities. They are the best!!!
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by Nobody: 9:56am On Jan 11, 2013
donsax: Why MISS Sandra Anazor from Anambra State going to university ibadan to study medicine? Why not stay at eastern corrupt universities? I rep south west universities. They are the best!!!
Why do you want to derail this thread? I implore other commenters to simply IGNORE your post.
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by noskeybaba: 9:58am On Jan 11, 2013
donsax: Why MISS Sandra Anazor from Anambra State going to university ibadan to study medicine? Why not stay at eastern corrupt universities? I rep south west universities. They are the best!!!

#Mumumugu

1 Like

Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:04am On Jan 11, 2013

What about ppl from sw that school in se......ppl like you is the reason yoruba ppl get cursed out every single day here. You are both IGNORANT and GULLIBLE..MAKAKWU!

1 Like

Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by safarigirl(f): 10:05am On Jan 11, 2013
because there is higher competition in those 'corrupt eastern unis' than any western one. If you know how many Ibos write JAMB, you won't be uttering such. Besides, the gurl wants to see the world, she was born in the east, did her nursery- senior secondary in the east, she go still do uni for east again, na swear?

3 Likes

Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by extension: 10:05am On Jan 11, 2013
There is nothing like success,you will have many fathers and dozens of mothers if you are intelligent.It is funny both the principal of QRC and FEDERAL COLLEGE lay claim to her success.She did her jss1-3 at Queens college and ss1-3 at federal college onitsha.
Goodluck to her . Can you imagine to save 2.2m naira for the family.Six years fully paid.
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by vanstanzy(m): 10:08am On Jan 11, 2013
Anambrarians kwenu!!! grin grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by passion007: 10:12am On Jan 11, 2013
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:14am On Jan 11, 2013
naptu2: The Lagos State Government returned seized missionary schools back to their original owners in 2001 (eg Methodist Boys High School, Igbobi College, St Gregory's College, St Finbarrs College, Our Lady of Apostles, Ansarul-deen School, etc).

That's the first time I'm hearing this; Given the fact that Lagos has the funds to transform their schools I would expect them to churn out excellent students year in year out.
Peter Obi did not just return all the missionary schools but he renovated and equiped every single one of them which provided the means for students to live in boarding school once again and this will enable them to focuse more on their studies. There has been a tremendous improvements in the performances of Anambra students at the Waec exams and this is just the beginning will are aiming for the orbit! Omanbala Obodo nyelu Igbo onu fa ji aba nba!

1 Like

Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by mapet: 10:18am On Jan 11, 2013
@Sincere 9gerian,

1. I think you are either ignorant on this issue or plain insincere.
2. Tinubu's government was the first to return mission schools to their owners. You obiviously don't live in Lagos and knows little about Lagos for you to posit that not much was heard of the news. Reality is that this is something that has passed its time in Lagos.
3. Tinubu despite being a Muslim returned was fiercly criticized by the Muslim communities and Nigerian Unition of Teachers (NUT) in Lagos back then, depsite the fact that Ansar-ud-deen schools were amongs them.
4. Tinubu's government's model supported the mission schools for about 5years i.e. Children that were already in JSS1 were not to pay school fees till they completed their SS3, teachers in those Mission schools still had their salaries paid by Lagos State government for a period of 3years (I think) during which time they had the choice of transfering their services to such schools or staying with Lagos State government
5. Those schools were also supported with funds

These are the irrefutable facts
1. Other governors that are doing such (Obi and some SW governors) learnt the model from Tinubu's government. Gbenga Daniel(a PDP governor), who most likely was the second tried to do such in Ogun State back then but am not sure how successful he was
2. The higher objective of these initiative is multi-faceted. One is to correct the wrongs of the past i.e. hijacking the schools from their proprietors; (2) The reality is that government cannot solely run the education sector, the earlier government unburdens herself from the heavy laden of managing all the schools (Salaries, maintenance, quality of education etc) the better (3)The level of decadence in terms of morality and discipline is jaw dropping and we need strong institutions to curb it.
3. There is nothing larger or smaller scale in what Obi is doing(this is not to deny him credit. For starters he's not doing anything new, and this initiative is like a moving train, in that once you've decided to give back the schools to their original owners, equity demands that you will not be selective. What statistics tell you that there are more mission schools concentrated in Imo State? Do you know that Schools like Victory College and "The other one in Mushin" were owned by private individuals and Tinubu returned it to them as well, despite the arguement that government had expanded them and acquired more lands?

My tots are these;
1. Looking at things in isolation without looking at the big picture is pretty dangerous.
2. There is nothing ingenous in simply returning schools back to their original owners. At best it's the fairest and logical thing to do.
3. What is outstanding is that states that have done so or are currently doing so are sending signals of their intent to pursue a sustainable and lasting education strategy and plans. That is where I believe Obi's effort is commendable
Sincere 9gerian:
Ok. Good to know that. But perhaps it didn't make news then because they were few. Also the approach in Anambra was different because the state govt still fund those schools well (teachers salaries and subventions) despite not owning those schools.

3 Likes

Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by Lawconfessor(f): 10:20am On Jan 11, 2013
vanstanzy: Anambrarians kwenu!!! grin grin grin grin grin

Iyaaaaaaa!
Congratzzzzzzzzzzzz to d gurl..
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by Emilord(m): 10:24am On Jan 11, 2013
NRI PRIEST: Front page kia kia.

My Omanbala is the greatest...The enemies of Peter Obi and Omanbala must be humbled....Odenigbo Aroli.
hmmm,is like u are a broda from anoda mother...omanbala kwenu!!!
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by passion007: 10:30am On Jan 11, 2013
@ sincere 9gerian: No, you're wrong. The mission schools had since been returned to the Churches. College of the Immaculate Conception has been returned to the Catholic church. Holy RosarybCollege likewise.Even New Haven Primary School was given over to St Mulumbas Church. The process began 16 years ago with partial handover of 5 secondary schools and 149 primary schools, and was completed 3 years ago.That being said, I agree the health sector is still sub-par.

Good to see Obi's investment in education already paying off.[/quote]

Source:http://www.umuchinemerebank.com/news2010-4.html

. The government of Enugu state finally returned with full ownership, management and control of all the 638 primary and 17 secondary schools, which the former East Central State government forcefully took over from the Roman Catholic Church 39 years ago.

The final handover of all the schools by the present administration of Governor Sullivan Chime, at a brief ceremony on Tuesday, September 01, 2009, at the Enugu Catholic Bishop’s court, Igboeze Street, Independence Layout, Enugu, completed the process of returning all the schools to the church, which started 13 years ago with the partial handover of 5 secondary schools and 149 primary schools in the first phase.
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by IdeasDrive(m): 10:34am On Jan 11, 2013
Congratulations to the young lady. I'm sure those nights of studying & burning the midnight candle, have eventually paid off in Gold.
Congrats, young lady.
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by slimming: 10:43am On Jan 11, 2013
Great
Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by mapet: 10:44am On Jan 11, 2013
@NRI_PRIEST,

1. O ye of little thoughts.....
2. You're not saying anything new.
3. Isolated Statistics are dangerous in the hands of the uninformed and inexperienced. Check, a little girl from Anambra State came tops in WAEC and NECO automatically translates to Obi renovating schools You must be kidding me.
4. Have you related the isolated stats with the overall performance of the totality of Anambra State Students, Statistic of pass rate compared to previous years, pass rate compared of a benchmark, percentage of success in critical subjects like Maths and English Even the Federal government had built SPEB Schools across the country, yet we continue to witness overall massive failures
5. I found the underlined laughable. I'm tempted to think ....... I reserve my comments

For me the truth are these;
1. I think we should lay off unnecessary and informed sentiments and logic. Our Educational System across all states are in near dissaray.
2. Celebrating the little girl from Anambra state, though good, is a little inconsequential when you look at the overall picture. ThisDay of yesterday's headline "Another Mass Failure in NECO and WAEC".....that is the crying shame.
NRI PRIEST:

That's the first time I'm hearing this; Given the fact that Lagos has the funds to transform their schools I would expect them to churn out excellent students year in year out.
Peter Obi did not just return all the missionary schools but he renovated and equiped every single one of them which provided the means for students to live in boarding school once again and this will enable them to focuse more on their studies. There has been a tremendous improvements in the performances of Anambra students at the Waec exams and this is just the beginning will are aiming for the orbit! Omanbala Obodo nyelu Igbo onu fa ji aba nba!

1 Like

Re: Best NECO, SSCE Candidate Gets Anambra Scholarship by freecocoa(f): 10:46am On Jan 11, 2013
So Peter Obi fit dash person money shocked?

That man wey stingy die, him no even fit make the money round figure sef cheesy

Congrats to miss Anazor.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is Helium (1s'2) In The P-block? / 110 Weird Facts You Did Not Know? / Futasu Reacts To Off-campus Rents Fees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.