Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,086 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? (17222 Views)

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 4:05am On Jan 13, 2013
kristikat:

is that like taking care of DEAD MEAT or live animals?

Were they not alive before they ended up in my soup?

Does everything not die?

Treat them right before killing them.

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 4:36am On Jan 13, 2013
I am a medical student.. And I'm glad I will be saving lives... I know what I'm in for(stress and all) but I know one day, I'm gonna look back and smile and be glad that I made my own tiny, little impact on mankind.
And that to me, is what matters most. smiley

4 Likes

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 6:35am On Jan 13, 2013
Hmmm all u need us to tell God to direct u to d right path

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by kristikat(f): 7:05am On Jan 13, 2013
[size=14pt]what if the right path is service to mankind?
would you be able to take on that huge responsibility?
and be passionate about your mission no matter how hard it is?[/size]
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by lagcity(m): 7:09am On Jan 13, 2013
medicine in this America is not for the weak. just the malpractice premium alone fit kill person, not to talk of huge debt.

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Sunnystooth(m): 7:37am On Jan 13, 2013
tawa89: . Dude....you are a process Engineer and u actually need 2 lie that u are a Medical Doctor 2 get laid? Ur case huge!
... No mind dat guy joor, d kinda money he makes from being a Process engineer is not enough to get him laid i guess... Smh
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 7:46am On Jan 13, 2013
from the posts here I conclude that the average IQ of Nigerians is far less than 45. Imagine someone here hates medicine so much that he does not wish it for his enemy all because they are not rich.
Make a trip to a teaching hospital and see wonder. medicine is not the for the greedy but for the sacrifice and great minded ones. A doctor is a professional who has undergone a rigorous training to be indispensable anywhere in this world. Their livelihood is not tied to that glorified piece of paper called certificate but to what is their brain and their hands.
when I become a doc, I will treat the poor for free and spend a lot of money on medical research.

when I saw the email address of the doctor that posted the article I was not surprised. Some people love money so much them fit kidnap their own papa.

2 Likes

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by agabaI23(m): 8:37am On Jan 13, 2013
oluafolabi: I am a medical student.. And I'm glad I will be saving lives... I know what I'm in for(stress and all) but I know one day, I'm gonna look back and smile and be glad that I made my own tiny, little impact on mankind.
And that to me, is what matters most. smiley
Good man
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 8:37am On Jan 13, 2013
Lol. Medical doctors in this generation and in westernized countries earn heaps. Money aside, you have to love the profession first and not the money. Loving medicine will take you to places in life.

Now to the money issue, there is money for doctors here and in other westernized countries. All you need do is, take your family for a week's vacation to some other town and earn $2000 per day(if they are desperate they make it 3000) in your locum work. When you are done working for 5- 6 days you will be smiling with a little over $15k that week. Accommodation, flight/transport, feeding etc all paid for, all you need do is just show up.

Study medicine cos it's from your heart and not cos you want the money and name it "would" bring to you. Your passion for medicine will open the right channel.

Pardon my errors, I'm mobile
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Revolva(m): 8:45am On Jan 13, 2013
Well I still respect doctors more than pastors .....its not an easy job oo

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by agabaI23(m): 8:49am On Jan 13, 2013
morufoye: from the posts here I conclude that the average IQ of Nigerians is far less than 45. Imagine someone here hates medicine so much that he does not wish it for his enemy all because they are not rich.
Make a trip to a teaching hospital and see wonder. medicine is not the for the greedy but for the sacrifice and great minded ones. A doctor is a professional who has undergone a rigorous training to be indispensable anywhere in this world. Their livelihood is not tied to that glorified piece of paper called certificate but to what is their brain and their hands.
when I become a doc, I will treat the poor for free and spend a lot of money on medical research.

when I saw the email address of the doctor that posted the article I was not surprised. Some people love money so much them fit kidnap their own papa.
Bless your soul.

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Puvguy: 8:59am On Jan 13, 2013
jennykadry: Lol. Medical doctors in this generation and in westernized countries earn heaps. Money aside, you have to love the profession first and not the money. Loving medicine will take you to places in life.

Now to the money issue, there is money for doctors here and in other westernized countries. All you need do is, take your family for a week's vacation to some other town and earn $2000 per day(if they are desperate they make it 3000) in your locum work. When you are done working for 5- 6 days you will be smiling with a little over $15k that week. Accommodation, flight/transport, feeding etc all paid for, all you need do is just show up.

Study medicine cos it's from your heart and not cos you want the money and name it "would" bring to you. Your passion for medicine will open the right channel.

Pardon my ignorance, $2,000 per day doing what?
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 9:01am On Jan 13, 2013
Puvguy:

Pardon my ignorance, $2,000 per day doing what?

Doing LOCUM work. cool
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by lordojay: 9:52am On Jan 13, 2013
I read the piece on friday in the punch newspaper,I had to call the writer and commend his literary prowess.there are 2 sides to the profession,the good memories and the very ugly one.the joy that one feels when an hypoglycaemic patient suddenly jump back to life after administering dextrose,the pride when the news spread around the community that "the doc can bring back an half-dead man",the smile on ur face When people pick up ur bills at a mall plus the many chics hovering around you seeking for the minutiest attention from u,plus the money(my centre)which is very encouraging.the ugly side so numerous,imaging a soldier asking for your head because u cannot bring back to life his dead son or athug that threatened to set an hospital ablaze with his "full squad"because his eclamptic wife who has aspirated concortion passed on while sunctioning her airway.the bottom line is there is dignity in all profession and at the other end of the spectrum-the shame just like the oil-doc.

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by bigfrancis21: 10:46am On Jan 13, 2013
wengerjay: See this fellow comparing nursing with medicine,saying nursing is 99/cent medicine.I am an accountant and i vividly remebered my secondary schl days,the very best read medicine.Many of our mates who are nurses today were jst average students.I want the nairalanders to correct me if i am wrong.
Hahaha! Wetin you ðε̲̣̣̣̥Ɣ try yan nau? Say Dober no ðε̲̣̣̣̥Ɣ intelligent, baa? NLers you guys won't kill somebody. Lmao

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Guddy(m): 10:57am On Jan 13, 2013
Have you guys considered other noble allied medical professions like Medical Laboratory Sciences, Pharmacy, physiotherapy, radiography, and others? I know of guys that took up these profession and are doing very well, when I mean very well, I mean VERY WELL especially in their private practice.
The medical profession is not all about doctors alone.
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Olaone1: 11:18am On Jan 13, 2013
jennykadry: Lol. Medical doctors in this generation and in westernized countries earn heaps. Money aside, you have to love the profession first and not the money. Loving medicine will take you to places in life.

We are talking about doctors in Nigeria. The profession is okay in the West but not in Nigeria. You can even make more than 2,000 dollars/day.

In Nigeria, It is different! Imagine, consultants in Nigeria don't like to be addressed as 'mister.' When a doctor in Naija becomes a consultant, he/she simply stops working. He/she does what he/she likes. Well, no motivation.

I respect doctors but, like all professions in Naija, doctors are not really doing fine. It annoys me when I see jobless/unhappy doctors. They should be well paid. And, the lazy ones should also work harder.
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Agrika: 11:24am On Jan 13, 2013
Thats why i thank God everyday for granting me the grace to study this course am reading, i once had the oppourtunity of studying physiotheraphy and industrial chemistry but i rejected the offer though my parents were not happy, i have said it before and am still saying it, there is no profession that gives you more satisfaction practising it like AGRICULTURE forget the average wretched looking village farmer you see in your village and look at the wider picture, not only is it lucrative but gender-friendly, a housewife can convieniently raise her broilers till they reach table size while staying at home and looking after her family or she may decide to go into Moringa production another lucrative bussiness
the only problem is that the society wont consider you a "bigman" cos a typical farmer is not a richman but looking on the plus side, while your mates are busy suffering from one heart disease or the other because of too much stress you will be relaxing at home eating the food you grew with your own hands

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 11:25am On Jan 13, 2013
Ola one:
We are talking about doctors in Nigeria. The profession is okay in the West but not in Nigeria. You can even make more than 2,000 dollars/day.

In Nigeria, It is different! Imagine, consultants in Nigeria don't like to be addressed as 'mister.' When a doctor in Naija becomes a consultant, he/she simply stops working. He/she does what he/she likes. Well, no motivation.

I respect doctors but, like all professions in Naija, doctors are not really doing fine. It annoys me when I see jobless/unhappy doctors. They should be well paid. And, the lazy ones should also work harder.

True though, even nurses here earn more than some doctors in Nigeria. A called in surgeon here could earn 8000-10,000 dollars per day after operating on 2-3 patients, but the ones in naija are there wasting away.

The 2-3k doctors earn here per day is for those that work in A &E work only, if you get more complicated issues that requires theatre, your pay automatically doubles. A gynae that just relocated here was almost in tears when he told us how much his friend who has more experience than him earns in naija. So sad....
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Olaone1: 11:29am On Jan 13, 2013
morufoye: from the posts here I conclude that the average IQ of Nigerians is far less than 45. Imagine someone here hates medicine so much that he does not wish it for his enemy all because they are not rich.

Don't feel like attacking you.

But, you can go into it, you know. There are many universities around. To become a consultant, you need about 2 decades!

After graduation, get a job at Adeoyo or Oluyoro General Hospital or any other hospital in your area and come back to let us know what you think about the profession. There are rooms for doctors in these hospitals. Just be careful, bedbugs bite a lot!

2 Likes

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Fadelex(m): 12:48pm On Jan 13, 2013
Messilo: Medicine and surgery the best course for brilliant and hard working students. Medical doctor the best profesion. let me remind all of you that one of my brothers are just finish in law school, but they offer him N25,000 a month salary job, but that can never be happen to a medical doctor. up noble course, up medicine&surgery, up noble profesion, up medical doctor.

You don't have to generalize bcoz u'r a medical doctor... I knw you'll have to be proud of ur profession bt come to think of it, hw will the whole world look like without people like me(structural engineers)... We do building, ships, planes and even cars.. I'm into building aspect and i can't step on a site with salary less than 100k... Studying medicine doesn't mean u'r brilliant than others... Its only ur choice as mine is Building tech
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Puvguy: 12:55pm On Jan 13, 2013
jennykadry:

True though, even nurses here earn more than some doctors in Nigeria. A called in surgeon here could earn 8000-10,000 dollars per day after operating on 2-3 patients, but the ones in naija are there wasting away.

The 2-3k doctors earn here per day is for those that work in A &E work only, if you get more complicated issues that requires theatre, your pay automatically doubles. A gynae that just relocated here was almost in tears when he told us how much his friend who has more experience than him earns in naija. So sad....

You must be talking about Australia cool
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by BAMMZ(m): 1:24pm On Jan 13, 2013
Well i dont envy doctors but sincere doctors know that it is a calling and enjoy it anyway. Today,people study medicine for all the wrong reason: prestige, money, fraud, ease of employment,bla bla bla. . . . Our universities are not helping matters too. That course should be preserved and respected,it is not for everyone with 9 credits/distinction in WAEC or JAMB gurus.That is why we have them all over,grumbling.. . . .
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by lawizle(m): 1:28pm On Jan 13, 2013
donofdons: [size=18pt]A doctor is a god no matter what they say...let no one discourage you.that was what happened to me and i ended up studying chemical engineering and now i regret the very day i changed my mind. i worked in the UK and all my friends that are Doctors are rich,satisfied and even get all the ladies...i even have to start lying abt being a doctor and reading up some medical words....i am doing well in my field but nothing can be compared to the prestige of being a doctor...As a black man,some people may look down on you here but when you are a doctor,they all respect you.[/size]

Do dey really respect black doctors in USA & UK?
I tot its even worse for dem over dere cos dey hardly get a job....
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by BAMMZ(m): 1:32pm On Jan 13, 2013
What has happened to guidiance and counselling? Candidates need to be properly examined to ensure they can stand the rigours and worklife. My dad made me study Quantity Surveying cos he thot i could and it was lucrative,i did well. I was best in my dept but it wasn't my thing. I never practiced for a day! Thank God i found my calling and i am enjoying it.
Please doctors, remember it is a calling and enjoy your profession.
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jan 13, 2013
Guddy: Have you guys considered other noble allied medical professions like Medical Laboratory Sciences, Pharmacy, physiotherapy, radiography, and others? I know of guys that took up these profession and are doing very well, when I mean very well, I mean VERY WELL especially in their private practice.
The medical profession is not all about doctors alone.
it's about doctors not medical professionals
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by onyxo76(m): 1:49pm On Jan 13, 2013
agabaI23: You were in it for the money first and not for the service first. You had too much expectations and you were disappointed and now you are frustrated. Believe me, if you were in it first for service and then money, the money will naturally follow. Rewind your mind and you will surely see the difference.
it would been better if you were appreciated for thise lives you save. You just go to the market and let the seller know that you are a dr you will surely pay more for that product you want to buy even though your battered car shows that you are just struggling to make ends meet.people only want to exploit you as much as possible thinking you habe money. Half of my colleagues have since jumped ship and are really doing well in other fields. Nobody cares how many lives you save its your status and financial level people look at. In any case I love my work but I do otherbusinesses to augment my salary
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by agabaI23(m): 2:04pm On Jan 13, 2013
onyxo76: it would been better if you were appreciated for thise lives you save. You just go to the market and let the seller know that you are a dr you will surely pay more for that product you want to buy even though your battered car shows that you are just struggling to make ends meet.people only want to exploit you as much as possible thinking you habe money. Half of my colleagues have since jumped ship and are really doing well in other fields. Nobody cares how many lives you save its your status and financial level people look at. In any case I love my work but I do otherbusinesses to augment my salary
Trust me those who jumped ship were either ill prepared or never meant for the profession. Same as those who are not satisfied. Why would you go to market and announce that you are a Dr? Traders will treat the way they will treat anyone does not look shabby or hungry whether you are a Dr.or not.
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by abbeywasc(m): 2:16pm On Jan 13, 2013
i once wanted to be a doctor too. i've always imagined myself in the white during my secondary school days. made sure i really put my mind to my science courses. was given the chemistry lab prefect then too. however after several frustrating effort at trying to study MBBS, i got offered VetMed at UI. i turned it down for a diploma in civil engr at fedpoly Ede. wow was the course tough. i made it thru but on an a academic excursion to a dam in oyo state, the chief engr advised us to send our kids to study business courses rather than crack brains on tough courses with low pay. i applied for accountin a year later. some said i cant cope. some said i'm wasting my talent{ i had distinction in Civil} but i was adamant} four years later i've yet to have course for regret. i am currently a first class in accounting, a faculty scholar, a job offer which include a scholarship for masters program in canada, yet i'm not going thru as much stress that med students are going thru. my bro had to wait an extra year b4 securing a place for his internship. waited another year b4 getting a job at a private clinic. the pay is gud but yet it is just 30% of what i was offered. i'm definitely not going to advise my kid for med. i still love and respect the course and the brave men and women who sacrifice themselve for humanity sake, but i'm glad i'm not one.
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by onyxo76(m): 3:51pm On Jan 13, 2013
agabaI23: Trust me those who jumped ship were either ill prepared or never meant for the profession. Same as those who are not satisfied. Why would you go to market and announce that you are a Dr? Traders will treat the way they will treat anyone does not look shabby or hungry whether you are a Dr.or not.
I once had an experience in the market,someone recognised me treating his wife some months ago and came to greet me while I was getting some stuff in the presence of the trader and that was my cover blown forever in that market. No matter where I went it was at least 100 hundred naira on top anything I wanted to buy,ol boy if I talk the reply is shebi you be dr you fit afford am or doki you pass that one now esp when they don't want to give you change back. Ytou try giving a realtion 2k for transport you go hear grumblings like stingy man and I'm na dr o...ake God just dey help us jare.
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by lawizle(m): 5:09pm On Jan 13, 2013
Ilekokonit: When I told my Mum I'd had enough of Med School in the '80s, she took me to Bishop Mike Okonkwo who after laying hands on me in prayer and I still insisted on leaving Med school, he asked me if I was on drugs and I said no.

After 3 years of studying 16 hours a day, I simply lost the zeal for the course and should have been steered towards a career in Mathematics in the first place as Maths came naturally to me. I ended up switching to finance.

If I had become a Doctor, I would still have left the profession as I simply do not like working at night and the office politics in teaching hospitals abroad will drive me nuts.

Pls wat do you mean by office politics?
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by lawizle(m): 5:17pm On Jan 13, 2013

Where does one make dat money...I find yur story hard toh believe...cos am a doctor

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. / Treatment For Gonorrhea / Crisis Looms As Prices Of Drugs Increase By 150%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.