Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? (17201 Views)

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Pacesetter2: 6:48pm On Jan 12, 2013
I so much hate this course...small mistake na recycle bin(other department) though they are really paid & repected
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by temtem1(m): 6:49pm On Jan 12, 2013
Great write-up!
I believe medicine is not just a noble profession, its a divine calling. However, people go into it for all the wrong reasons; family pressure( "we must have a doctor in this family"
mum wants to be called "mama doc"wink, pride, the misleading belief that once you're taking first or second position in ur class then u must become a doctor, lastly and regretably money!!!!!
If you dont have the passion for saving lives and puting smiles on people's face, then you have no business studying medicine cos u r bound to eventually get dissappointed and frustrated!

2 Likes

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by yuzedo: 6:50pm On Jan 12, 2013
Question of Life!

83.5% of people who's ambition it is to become Doctors don't know what they're getting into.

2 Likes

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by sconsults: 6:51pm On Jan 12, 2013
donofdons: [size=18pt]A doctor is a god no matter what they say...let no one discourage you.that was what happened to me and i ended up studying chemical engineering and now i regret the very day i changed my mind. i worked in the UK and all my friends that are Doctors are rich,satisfied and even get all the ladies...i even have to start lying abt being a doctor and reading up some medical words....i am doing well in my field but nothing can be compared to the prestige of being a doctor...As a black man,some people may look down on you here but when you are a doctor,they all respect you.[/size]

[size=15pt]Very true my friend...i also noticed that.even Diana(princes of wales)decided to marry an ordinary Pakistani doctor and he refused her before she went with the arab billionaire.i hate the attention even dumb, fat and ugly doctors get from ladies especially the white ones. embarassed[/size]
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Lero15(m): 6:59pm On Jan 12, 2013
slimchimex: Am Proud to Be a Medical Doctor anytime,anywhere,any day....
Doctors save a whole lot of livies dat one can't imagine...
Medical practice is d best thing dat hv ever happened to mankind....
Can't imagine this world without medical doctors....
ya, we know. Engineering too

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Redmosquito(m): 7:12pm On Jan 12, 2013
Sho! Na so! No matter! I still rep Medicine anywhere anyday!
Do you know what beauty it holds, to see life returned to the invalid.
To see blackness of tears returned into bright smiles
To see paralytic giving you twale!
No matter the cost, no matter the troubles, I shall not reconsider
I REP MERECINE FOR LIFE!

3 Likes

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by adahib: 7:17pm On Jan 12, 2013
yes being a doctor can be discouraging at times.what with some patients expecting you to solve their every problem.Most times one feels like throwing in the towel but once you see a smile of gratitude,a prayer of blessing,you can't help but wipe the sweat off your face and with a smile,accept that it was all worth it.
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jan 12, 2013
medicine all the way.God uses those guys to save lives on earth. the age of miracles are gone.plus they are respected and comfortable with their pay.they are smart nd always bUsy.that earns them respect.
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jan 12, 2013
medicine all the way.God uses those guys to save lives on earth. the age of miracles is gone.plus they are respected and comfortable with their pay.they are smart nd always bUsy.that earns them respect.play smart,open ur own firm nd cure more people by d grace of God.

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by wengerjay(m): 7:23pm On Jan 12, 2013
In case u re interested in reading medicine(or any other cause at all)to earn u money or future,pls learn frm this philosophy of life wch says 'there is no future in any profession bt the future lies in the hands of the individual dat holds the profession'.

3 Likes

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Redmosquito(m): 7:32pm On Jan 12, 2013
wengerjay: In case u re interested in reading medicine(or any other cause at all)to earn u money or future,pls learn frm this philosophy of life wch says 'there is no future in any profession bt the future lies in the hands of the individual dat holds the profession'.
GBAM!!! it is not the profeesion that holds the key! But the man behind the profession!
Many are called, yes of course but few will be chosen! Its the law of Nature! Evolve or die! Not everyone will make it but that doesnt mean the profession is cursed! All of u shouting Engineers! See ya head! After una go work for site and hammer break ur head who go gum am back, abi na mechanic? mtsheeeewww
UP DOKITORS!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jan 12, 2013
Obviously Medicine is not for the faint hearted. The issue with most of this so called doctor is that, they actually went after the money and the prestige, while i consider that part of the reason why you should study medicine, believe me, it's not a good reason to study the course. Here is a break down of why you shouldn't study medicine because of prestige.

Average you spend 6years as an undergraduate(Neglecting strike, withdrawal of licence by NUC, flunking exams)

Compared to your counterpart that spends 4/5 years in the university, after which he/she enrolled for a master degree, 2years maximum. Making 6/7 years altogether.

Medicine is a time wasting course, most of them do have beards before they actually claim the title. I also wanted medicine before, but couldn't get it. When i got admitted for Medical Sciences and i realized that my field is a little bit more interesting than medicine, I've asked my self several times, "Why on earth did i waste four years runner after that course initially?"
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by onyxo76(m): 7:39pm On Jan 12, 2013
Almost a decade of medical practise and I still wonder how I got myself into this... Anyway thank God for other interests in other income generations coming my way, if not this profession na just average pay!
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jan 12, 2013
Ola one: Medicine is a very useless course. Most doctors are not really happy. Most of them are not rich.

Many are unemployed. . . many are frustrated. And girls are now saying NO to doctors. Why go for a doctor when you can have Okey Japan at Alaba International?

Medicine? I no go even wish am on my enemy.
you're very very far from the truth. Medicine and surgery is one of the oldest profession and one of the best thing that happened to mankind.

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Olaone1: 7:50pm On Jan 12, 2013
centje: you're very very far from the truth. Medicine and surgery is one of the oldest profession and one of the best thing that happened to mankind.

You are right but doctors in Naija are not happy! They are poor
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by DBestDoc(f): 7:57pm On Jan 12, 2013
I've always been very passionate about studying medicine.couldnt think of some other career to venture into.Just had the inner conviction that i would be better at medicine than anything else.spent eight years after high school trying to get a place in a medical school.got it finally and have no regret whatsoever.it is not easy though,most times,you put in too much but get too little in return.But i will still go for it if asked to choose all over

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by tawa89(f): 7:58pm On Jan 12, 2013
donofdons: [size=18pt]A doctor is a god no matter what they say...let no one discourage you.that was what happened to me and i ended up studying chemical engineering and now i regret the very day i changed my mind. i worked in the UK and all my friends that are Doctors are rich,satisfied and even get all the ladies...i even have to start lying abt being a doctor and reading up some medical words....i am doing well in my field but nothing can be compared to the prestige of being a doctor...As a black man,some people may look down on you here but when you are a doctor,they all respect you.[/size]
. Dude....you are a process Engineer and u actually need 2 lie that u are a Medical Doctor 2 get laid? Ur case huge!

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by DBestDoc(f): 8:00pm On Jan 12, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]I've always been very passionate about studying medicine.couldnt think of some other career to venture into.Just had the inner conviction that i would be better at medicine than anything else.spent eight years after high school trying to get a place in a medical school.got it finally and have no regret whatsoever.it is not easy though,most times,you put in too much but get too little in return.But i will still go for it if asked to choose all over
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jan 12, 2013
Ola one:

You are right but doctors in Naija are not happy! They are poor
yes,some are not happy. But is the same 'unhappiness' you find in other profession. We all know how bad our system is,no job incentives,poor health facilities,am into the system you need to know what doctors pass through to treat patients.

A doctor who considers himself poor shouldn't be doctor in the first place. There're many places doctors can work the only thing is that one would have sacrifice alot of fun and relaxation.
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by solomon111(m): 8:08pm On Jan 12, 2013
WTF??
You are probably one of those that studied wrong course.
Medicine is noble and nice,but Engineers hold the aces.
The world belongs to us,to recreate as we wish.
Without engineers,medicine would have remained in its crude stage with crude equipments.
A successful and enterprising Engineer is the dream of most ladies,i can assure you.

4 Likes

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by smakati(m): 8:14pm On Jan 12, 2013
I so wanted to be a doctor when I was in secondary school......but after they told me the number of years involved I jst jejely went for microbiology instead......if I ever feel the need to have a Doctor before my name I will go and do a masters, then a Doctorate but for now am happy being a microbiologist

2 Likes

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by dober(m): 8:27pm On Jan 12, 2013

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by AGgal(f): 8:37pm On Jan 12, 2013
OP na 4 ur mouth i hear am o! D way our doctors at ucth carry demselves arnd,i dnt think they feel d way u do

1 Like

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by ujchief(m): 8:39pm On Jan 12, 2013
As a fellow chemical engr, I'd say I'm terribly disappointed in you! Unless ur work is outside ur field, if u're a graduate of chemical engr and u're practicing chemical engineering, then u'd know the satisfaction of being a chemical engr. If u ever design a chemical plant that works, write an equation to optimize a process, develop safety rules for a process industry, then u'll know what I mean.
You need to see the satisfaction in my face when I designed my first continuous stirred tanker reactor for a biochemical plant, it was awesome. Process engr rocks!

2 Likes

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jan 12, 2013
Taken
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jan 12, 2013
dober: I love medicine, though am currently a nurse<RN>. I think
Nursing stress is 99% of medicine's, both in study and in pratice.#though nt yet in any medical sch#.
But come to think of this, nurses spend more yrs in studying than docs. As a RN, i spent 3yrs in nursing skl, and in a bid to further, another 4 yrs will be added, intenship of 1yr, and NYSC: 1yr, making a total of 9yrs, <just for me to get a degree in nursing>.
I had better go for medicine as am stil young, though getting an admission in med. here in naija is something else# i think those that got theirs in the last 4yrs till now knws wot am saying#
God help me secure an admision into a medical school.
I love to practice medicine.
mbbs=6yrs+ housejob=1yr service=1yr residence=6yrs
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by wengerjay(m): 8:52pm On Jan 12, 2013
dober: I love medicine, though am currently a nurse<RN>. I think
Nursing stress is 99% of medicine's, both in study and in pratice.#though nt yet in any medical sch#.
But come to think of this, nurses spend more yrs in studying than docs. As a RN, i spent 3yrs in nursing skl, and in a bid to further, another 4 yrs will be added, intenship of 1yr, and NYSC: 1yr, making a total of 9yrs, <just for me to get a degree in nursing>.
I had better go for medicine as am stil young, though getting an admission in med. here in naija is something else# i think those that got theirs in the last 4yrs till now knws wot am saying#
God help me secure an admision into a medical school.
I love to practice medicine.
See this fellow comparing nursing with medicine,saying nursing is 99/cent medicine.I am an accountant and i vividly remebered my secondary schl days,the very best read medicine.Many of our mates who are nurses today were jst average students.I want the nairalanders to correct me if i am wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jan 12, 2013
SIR cum a lot:
Chics dig doctors.this is enough reason for me.
uhm sorry,but d 'digging' thing?dat would be engineers
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jan 12, 2013
Doc, may God bless you abundantly! this is indeed a masterpiece! IMO Medicine can never be a money making venture INITIALLY, its a noble proffession, the issue in Nigeria is lack of organization of the Medical sector, grossly inadequate funding, gradual loss of faith and trust thats why you see elites travelling overseas for common headaches! alot of people go into the medical proffession for the wrong reasons.
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by 12large1: 9:03pm On Jan 12, 2013
Please if you get a phd in communications, you will be called at Dr. will you get the same respect as medical doctors
Re: Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? by DeepSight(m): 9:06pm On Jan 12, 2013
OP. . .looking at that write-up, you should also consider a side-career as a writer/ columnist.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Two-Inch Feather Emerges From Baby's Neck / I Need Drugs or Cure For An Ulcer Patient / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.