Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,490 members, 7,816,156 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

7 Facts About The North - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 7 Facts About The North (46826 Views)

Why Is Their A Decline In The Use Of Other Languages In The North? / The Problem With Nigeria Is The North / Who Says The Hausas Are Not Nice; My Experience In The North (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Facts About The North by patanjaly: 7:14pm On Feb 09, 2013
@pegan i still hold my perception that they are not fulanis. Do you know that the british royalty are from german decent , most obas in yoruba land are nupes, even oba of benin some think came from oduduwa, do you know bayajida who married daurama the queen of daura is a arab man from iraq. Even oduduwa was not yoruba but a foreigner who came from outside. So can u now say their decendants are not english, hausa or yoruba?
Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:27pm On Feb 09, 2013
patanjaly: @pegan i still hold my perception that they are not fulanis. Do you know that the british royalty are from german decent , most obas in yoruba land are nupes, even oba of benin some think came from oduduwa, do you know bayajida who married daurama the queen of daura is a arab man from iraq. Even oduduwa was not yoruba but a foreigner who came from outside. So can u now say their decendants are not english, hausa or yoruba?

1) The british royals are not tribals so they dont care for bloodline. they lost their tribes with the Norman conquest and the rise of the roman catholic church.
their situation is different from ours . We are tribals and blood is what matters to us.

2) Yorubas are similar ethnically to Nupe however your claim about most Obas being Nupe is false.

2) You insult us by saying this false story. Bayanjidda was not from iraq. do you understand how far iraq is from Hausaland? do you underssand how he wouldve jsut persihed on his way travelling so far and why Nigeria? these useless stories came after the rise of islam. we Hausa are 100% CHadic Sahelian. even Kanuris, Yorubas,etc., have such useless forged stories. it is not true.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by dhamstar(m): 7:29pm On Feb 09, 2013
As far as i'm concerned,some of dis barbaric traditions need to eliminated in order to foster growth & devpt in d Hausas' community.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:47pm On Feb 09, 2013
dhamstar: As far as i'm concerned,some of dis barbaric traditions need to eliminated in order to foster growth & devpt in d Hausas' community.

shut up before i eliminate you.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by patanjaly: 7:49pm On Feb 09, 2013
@pegan i usually admire your deep knowledge when it comes to northern history n unbias post. I hope u will not fail me dis time. First do you know that el kanemi who rise to power as the overlord of the kanuri's in 1810 when d fulanis ransack ngazargamu the kanuri capital was a an Arab who was born in marzuk in faraway libya (though thier are lies that he is mixed wit kanembu so that he will be accepted by d kanuris) n uptill now his grandson are ruling d kanuri's but u never hear people calling them as not kanuri's. Just check why he bears the name shehu(an arabic title) instead of mai(kanuri title) n read what bencham n clapperton said about him when they visited him.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Lakayana: 7:55pm On Feb 09, 2013
alaoeri: Any Tiv man in the house make i pay him a visit. wink
na hiv you go take as souvenir. See him thick short thing like goat own.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by razznaija(f): 7:59pm On Feb 09, 2013
Post: 1. There are about 73 DIFFERENT languages in Taraba state alone,48 in Plateau,60 in Bauchi,58 in Adamawa,57 in Kaduna,38 in Niger,29 in Nasarawa and 28 in Borno.

Me : OK

Postsad2) Apart from Sokoto and Zamfara state, EVERY other state in the north has indigenous Christian population.

Me: cool

Post: (3) Except Benue,kogi,plateau,Niger and Borno,the remaining 14 state's heads of traditional councils are all Fulanis.

Me: Wow I didn't know that.

Post: (5) A traditional Tiv man allows his "special" visitor or relation to make love to his wife.

Me:Dafuq?

Re: 7 Facts About The North by nuorlah: 8:11pm On Feb 09, 2013
8. Many hausas are embarrassed by the actions of boko haram

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by Ngutor(m): 8:12pm On Feb 09, 2013
indoorlove: Oga, if you said the tradition is no longer practise again, u would have made more sense than outrightly denied it was ever practised. I was in Benue for a visit around 1996 or thereabout and believe me, this act was practised before my very eye. Pls dont ask me if i live with them, they were my neigbour and one of their son who was my friend told me there was nothing wrong with it.
Sir I think you have a problem with comprehension/understanding. But I would prefer you throw more light. When you say you "it was practised before my very eye" what do you mean? That you were offered someones wife or someones wife was offered to someone and you witnessed them being intimate? What do you mean when you say Benue? I remember meeting a guy during NYSC who said the first time he heard of Yobe was when he got his posting and another girl that could not tell the capital of Yobe when in camp.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Ngutor(m): 8:14pm On Feb 09, 2013
bamosagie:

I spent nine years in Makurdi, though I never enjoyed the benefit of having intercourse with another man's wife, I know that such culture exist.
Only it is not WIDELY practiced anymore.
You spent 9 years good. Did you ever get such an offer? How did you arrive at the conclusion that the culture exist and is not widely practised?
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Toktee(m): 8:17pm On Feb 09, 2013
@op you are a f.ool and an illitrate,infact you are one of the failed educational system in nigeria,you take time vomit nonsense and tag it fact.My advice to u is visit benue while their ask ur host to gve u his wife to f.uck,iam waiting for ur testimony.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:28pm On Feb 09, 2013
patanjaly: @pegan i usually admire your deep knowledge when it comes to northern history n unbias post. I hope u will not fail me dis time. First do you know that el kanemi who rise to power as the overlord of the kanuri's in 1810 when d fulanis ransack ngazargamu the kanuri capital was a an Arab who was born in marzuk in faraway libya (though thier are lies that he is mixed wit kanembu so that he will be accepted by d kanuris) n uptill now his grandson are ruling d kanuri's but u never hear people calling them as not kanuri's. Just check why he bears the name shehu(an arabic title) instead of mai(kanuri title) n read what bencham n clapperton said about him when they visited him.

now about elkanemi. let us first try to understand the difference between arabs. analyzing this so called lies about him being mixed with Kanuris,which you immediately discarded without reason, what i found strange is that the father was a Kanuri and the mother was Arab. now pure Arabs will usually never give their wives to dark-skinned Africans. from this and the fact that el-kanemis follower in majority where overwhelmingly Shuwa Arabs and Kanuris, both of whom helped him during the Fulani wars in support of the Mai. this support from these 2 tribes must not be ignored. from this I infer that his mother might actually have been Shuwa Arab and the marriage might have been easy since Kanuris and Shuwas are both Chadic Sahelian ethnically.

now another point i would like to make is that even if this was not the case, ocourse everything doesnt go in order as intended you see? because islam generally tries to assimilate like all abrahamic religions. so this is due to faultlines and bad islamic influence on tribal structure that such incidents could take place.

and btw shehu is used by islamic West African rulers. many Fulani chiefs also hold this title even though they are not mixed with Arabs.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Splendblex(f): 8:30pm On Feb 09, 2013
grin Benue guys dey vex o... grin
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 8:34pm On Feb 09, 2013
ifyalways: Interesting.

Quick question, do they understand themselves and do they have a common/generally accepted and understood language?(Taraba state and co that are multi lingual)

When I went to kebbi state, zuru LGA, they didn't understand hausa... Had to get an 'enlightened' zuru man to interprete hausa to dialect for me!!

Nice write up OP!
Re: 7 Facts About The North by bokohalal(m): 8:39pm On Feb 09, 2013
Nwunuken: Bauchi Emir is fullblooded Housa.
What's wrong with what I wrote?
Re: 7 Facts About The North by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:41pm On Feb 09, 2013
princemaicheal:
Why not pay a friend there(Tiv) a visit.
in order 2 phuck his wife. Toto no hungry me reach dat level. Moreover, I dnt do dirty acts lyk dat
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Toktee(m): 8:47pm On Feb 09, 2013
Splendblex: grin Benue guys dey vex o... grin
The writer rili have a problem,who even told him that benue state is from the north,i advice him keep swimming in his ignorant
Re: 7 Facts About The North by shaniqueK1(f): 8:58pm On Feb 09, 2013
Correction Number 1: The Tiv people do not live in the northern part of Nigeria, they occupy the middle-beltan part of Nigeria
Correction Number 2: The belief that a Tiv man would give his wife to his visitor to have sex with has never been part of the cultural reality of the Tiv people. This misinformed view people have of the Tiv tribe stems from a misinterpretation of history. The Tiv are a polygamous lot like most primitive African societies. This been the case, if a Tiv man had a visitor, he would appoint one of his wives to look after the visitor i.e make sure his nutritional needs were adequately catered for, make sure his personal care was well taken care of. when the woman was promiscuous, then sex took place. However, this was without the consent of the husband and the act was carried out in stealth. Those of una wey think say Tiv man go give you im wife make u sleep with, go try am if the woman husband no go cut your prick carry shove inside your a$$...

4 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 9:01pm On Feb 09, 2013
[quote author=Mavrick2012]
(2) Apart from Sokoto and Zamfara state, EVERY other state in the north has indigenous Christian population.

Tell me, who are the "indigenous Christians" of Kano? of Katsina? of Jigawa? E.t.c.

(3) Except Benue,kogi,plateau,Niger and Borno,the remaining 14 state's heads of traditional councils are all Fulanis.
This is half truth, because these emirs although "had fulani roots" but they are no more fulanis, very few if not none of them can speak the fulani language. History had it that after the Jihad the "new fulani rulers" spoke Hausa (not fulfulde) in the kingdoms (since much of their subjects are Hausa). This caused them to lose their language for Hausa. Later centuries there have been inter-marriages between the two tribes to an extent that except for the nomads, it is not possible to say who is Hausa or who is fulani in the "core north." And that was why the word "Hausa-Fulani" was coined. Go and find out the only 'real Fulani emir' is "Lamidon Adamawa!"

6) After "sekin uku",i.e third divorce,a northern muslim can remarry his divorced wife only if she (a) marry's another man,(b)have sex with him atleast once and (c)get a divorce from that man.
It is called "saki uku" and it's not a "northern muslim" thing but as Islamic tradition!
Re: 7 Facts About The North by patanjaly: 9:04pm On Feb 09, 2013
Thank God @pegan u are toeing toward my point. but point of correction shuwa arabs are not related to kanuri cos they are a branch from arabs n also kanembu is a diff tribe from kanuri. Okay back to our discussion all am trying to say most of d ancestors of d rulers of kingdoms n tribes are mostly not abrogines of that place. So if i say the sultan can no longer be called a fulani but hausa i think is not far from truth.what is good for d goose is also good 4 d gender. But pls i want u to check the ansestors of indian Rajas n mughal of india u will see they all came from d arayan race not from d dharavians (indian abrogines) but u never hear people calling them as non hindus. Shalom.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by gowaga68: 9:05pm On Feb 09, 2013
Someone asked if there is a kind of General lang spoken in Taraba well i will say Hausa is widely spoken from Taraba South,Mid and North though we have some larger tribes like South we have Jukun, kutebs and other few, Central we have Fulani,Ndoro and other few,then North got Fulani,Mumuai etc.
God bless Taraba!
Re: 7 Facts About The North by gowaga68: 9:15pm On Feb 09, 2013
Toktee: @op you are a f.ool and an illitrate,infact you are one of the failed educational system in nigeria,you take time vomit nonsense and tag it fact.My advice to u is visit benue while their ask ur host to gve u his wife to f.uck,iam waiting for ur testimony.
oga dont be offened but can you prove him wrong? I dont like talkin much but know this fact am Hausa by tribe but got lots of cousin's from nearly all the major tribes in Benue and Taraba. Mun fa tiv!
Re: 7 Facts About The North by kurga(m): 9:29pm On Feb 09, 2013
(5) A traditional Tiv man allows his "special" visitor or relation to make love to his wife.
Whatever your name is, you must be outside your mind for stating such a lie. I'm tiv and nobody does that! Iyua!
Re: 7 Facts About The North by kurga(m): 9:31pm On Feb 09, 2013
(5) A traditional Tiv man allows his "special" visitor or relation to make love to his wife.

Whatever your name is, you must be outside your mind for stating such a lie. I'm tiv and nobody does that! Iyua!

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by sage2(m): 9:32pm On Feb 09, 2013
yuzedo:

ONE NIGERIA!!!!!!!

**Now going to make-up with all my Tiv friends I have offended, and make new pals** tongue tongue tongue

Are you that sex starved ?
Re: 7 Facts About The North by gowaga68: 9:38pm On Feb 09, 2013
kurga: (5) A traditional Tiv man allows his "special" visitor or relation to make love to his wife.

hehe zaki are you sayin its a lie? Which of the clan are you from?
Re: 7 Facts About The North by kheart(m): 9:47pm On Feb 09, 2013
The tiv practice still in existence oh.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by kheart(m): 9:47pm On Feb 09, 2013
The tiv practice is still in existence oh.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by alakid: 10:09pm On Feb 09, 2013
The most informative thread I've followed in my young stay on Nairaland. Kudos OP. One thing I keep on saying and won't stop is I have an open invitation to my brothers and sisters south of the Niger and/or Benue, to come visit the north and see for themselves.
However if they can't, they should ask NYSC guys that are serving in the north how it truely is. Do not mind the media, its just mind twisting manipulations.
Long live Arewa, long live other regions, Long live Nigeria

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 10:13pm On Feb 09, 2013
Now to the Language issue... i am no Linguist, but if you asked one, "DIALECTICAL DIFFERENCES BETWEEN A PARTICULAR LANGUAGE FAMILY DOES NOT MAKE THE OFFSHOOTS OF THE PARENT LANGUAGE WHOLE LANGUAGES' A more appropriate tag for these thousand and one Languages said to be existing would be to call them dialects... does anyone agree with me?

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:43pm On Feb 09, 2013
patanjaly: Thank God @pegan u are toeing toward my point. but point of correction shuwa arabs are not related to kanuri cos they are a branch from arabs n also kanembu is a diff tribe from kanuri. Okay back to our discussion all am trying to say most of d ancestors of d rulers of kingdoms n tribes are mostly not abrogines of that place. So if i say the sultan can no longer be called a fulani but hausa i think is not far from truth.what is good for d goose is also good 4 d gender. But pls i want u to check the ansestors of indian Rajas n mughal of india u will see they all came from d arayan race not from d dharavians (indian abrogines) but u never hear people calling them as non hindus. Shalom.

im not toeing towards your point. im just stating facts.

The Shuwa im sorry to say, are not Arabs. they are Arabs i=only in name. They consist of Fura, Zaghawa and other such Chadic-Sahelian groups. in Sudan they are view by Arabs amd Nubians as Africans. THe Darfur war is a clear exam[le of that.
neither do they look Arabic nor are there clothing and customs Arabic, neither are their camel breeds Arabic, save their religion and some borrowed islamic cultures.

KAnembu, KAnuri, MAnga,etc., people are all related and belong to the same Greater Chadic Ehtnic Group. You are generalizing again. Its only so in the North due to thedisruptions casued by the Fulani jihad and its side-effects.

the ancestors of the mughals are of mixed persian, mongol,rajput, and other Indian tribes, arabs,etc. they like the hapsburg rulers of england are of mixed descent and are muslims. The Mughals were never EVER accepted as Indian indigenes and were forever treated with suspicioon and deep-seated distrust as foreigners, though a few mughal rulers tried to change that.

The Hindu Rajahs on the other hand belong to different tribes and were naturally accepted due to their caste and tribal status and ancient history associatd wiith the subcontinent spanning the Pagan days. also many of the Indigenous tribes have their own Chiefs and rulers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa / Yusuf Bayero Is Dead! Emir Of Kano's Uncle Dies / Unoaku Anyadike Visits The Ooni Of Ife (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.