Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,739 members, 7,820,545 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

7 Facts About The North - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 7 Facts About The North (46842 Views)

Why Is Their A Decline In The Use Of Other Languages In The North? / The Problem With Nigeria Is The North / Who Says The Hausas Are Not Nice; My Experience In The North (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Facts About The North by papydan(m): 10:50pm On Feb 09, 2013
D no 5,which happern 2 concern Tiv,is false.i did my nysc at benue,tarka local govt 2 b precise,there nothing of such.a tiv can kill because of his girl frd talkless his wife.may b they practise b4,i dont knw,nothing of such happern nw.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by nnamdibig(m): 10:57pm On Feb 09, 2013
[quote author=Mavrick2012](1) Their are about 73 DIFFERENT languages in Taraba state alone,48 in Plateau,60 in Bauchi,58 in Adamawa,57 in Kaduna,38 in Niger,29 in Nasarawa and 28 in Borno.

evidence that you cant have peace there!!!!!!
Re: 7 Facts About The North by HezronLorraine(m): 11:39pm On Feb 09, 2013
Interesting post.dt 'tiv' culture is so gross,no wonder d prevalence of hiv/aids and other std's in d north and dy lavish in ignorance.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by HezronLorraine(m): 11:42pm On Feb 09, 2013
One nigeria.eew.dts wrong cos even d northerners have inter-ethnic clashes.so many languages,different cultures and ideologies yet dy can't accept and embrace dr diversity.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Btruth: 11:45pm On Feb 09, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: Still can't believe this TIV's crazy culture.

Yes oooo. So I hear say dem they welcome guest with their wives ooo......lol cheesy

Yes oooo. So I hear say dem they welcome guest with their wives ooo......lol
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Opoki(m): 11:47pm On Feb 09, 2013
Its high time i make friend with a kanuri man.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by IG: 12:00am On Feb 10, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

im not toeing towards your point. im just stating facts.

The Shuwa im sorry to say, are not Arabs. they are Arabs i=only in name. They consist of Fura, Zaghawa and other such Chadic-Sahelian groups. in Sudan they are view by Arabs amd Nubians as Africans. THe Darfur war is a clear exam[le of that.
neither do they look Arabic nor are there clothing and customs Arabic, neither are their camel breeds Arabic, save their religion and some borrowed islamic cultures.

KAnembu, KAnuri, MAnga,etc., people are all related and belong to the same Greater Chadic Ehtnic Group. You are generalizing again. Its only so in the North due to thedisruptions casued by the Fulani jihad and its side-effects.

the ancestors of the mughals are of mixed persian, mongol,rajput, and other Indian tribes, arabs,etc. they like the hapsburg rulers of england are of mixed descent and are muslims. The Mughals were never EVER accepted as Indian indigenes and were forever treated with suspicioon and deep-seated distrust as foreigners, though a few mughal rulers tried to change that.

The Hindu Rajahs on the other hand belong to different tribes and were naturally accepted due to their caste and tribal status and ancient history associatd wiith the subcontinent spanning the Pagan days. also many of the Indigenous tribes have their own Chiefs and rulers.

Zaghawa. Guraan, Fur, Sara etc are entirely different from Shuwa Arabs. Shuwa Arabs are Arabs. They are called Baqqara Arabs by the other Arabs because they raise cattle (Baqara) instead of Camels.

Kanuri was initially not a tribe but a national identity used by several ethnic groups like the Badawai, Fadai, Manga, Kanembu etc. The modern day Kanuri language is more or less an evolved form of the Kanembu language. Before the Kanuri dominance, the language spoken in Kanem/Borno is called Teda.

Al-Amin Elkanemi wasn't Arab but a person born of Kanembu father and a mother from the Fezzan region of Libya. And Southern Libya was part of the Kanem-Borno empire

The story of descent of some Nigerian ethnic groups from the middle-east is more than just myths. This is because in some cases some people have written accounts of things like geneaology up till today. An important fact to keep in mind that the migrants from Arabia were not like the white Arabs of today. They were the original dark skinned Arabs of the past before the flooding of Arabia by the Turks and Persians. Many of the remaining black Arabs of today are trying to unearth such buried history and re-establish relationship with their black African brethren.

Two good places to get more information about the original black Arabs are
http://savethetruearabs.com/
and
http://blackarabia..com/
Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:27am On Feb 10, 2013
IG:

Zaghawa. Guraan, Fur, Sara etc are entirely different from Shuwa Arabs. Shuwa Arabs are Arabs. They are called Baqqara Arabs by the other Arabs because they raise cattle (Baqara) instead of Camels.

Kanuri was initially not a tribe but a national identity used by several ethnic groups like the Badawai, Fadai, Manga, Kanembu etc. The modern day Kanuri language is more or less an evolved form of the Kanembu language. Before the Kanuri dominance, the language spoken in Kanem/Borno is called Teda.

Al-Amin Elkanemi wasn't Arab but a person born of Kanembu father and a mother from the Fezzan region of Libya. And Southern Libya was part of the Kanem-Borno empire

The story of descent of some Nigerian ethnic groups from the middle-east is more than just myths. This is because in some cases some people have written accounts of things like geneaology up till today. An important fact to keep in mind that the migrants from Arabia were not like the white Arabs of today. They were the original dark skinned Arabs of the past before the flooding of Arabia by the Turks and Persians. Many of the remaining black Arabs of today are trying to unearth such buried history and re-establish relationship with their black African brethren.

Two good places to get more information about the original black Arabs are
http://savethetruearabs.com/
and
http://blackarabia..com/

YOU ARE MISTAKEN! i know that for a fact because i have lived among the pure Bedouin Arabs for quite a long time and i know their geneology lists and history. The Shuwa are a coalition of Arabic-speakin African tribes (Fura, Fallata, Gurraan , Zaghawa, Nuba,etc.) along with a few African/Arab mixed tribes and Nubians. This does NOT include the Bedu Abbaela Tribes.

The Kanuri are a larger ethnic group that consist of the tribes you named. Just as Hausa is a larger Ethnic group and consists of many sub-tribes.

about al-amin, ive already explained before.

the story of descent of Nigerian groups from the middle-East are ALL myths. there is no written acount in our case. the geneology is all forged after the advent of islam. please dont give me this bullsh!t argument that the entire world was black and Arabs were originally black and Egyptians were originally black and all this sickening bull****. the Turks and Persians never came as far as the Trucial Coast, forget Najd, the Hadhramut and Yemenm, the heartland of Arab Civilization. The turks that too came later.

are you saying these fill-blooded Arab tribesmen are all Imposters? let me remind you that they have a lineage probably even older than yours. you are another racist akata influence creature :

[img]http://2.bp..com/_SXTSMfNA9K4/TQYzNG_fibI/AAAAAAAAAIY/z1HRGH1I8kI/s1600/HH-Sheikh-Zayed-bin-Sultan-al-Nayhan.jpg[/img]

the black Arabs in Arabia today are all of mixed descent with slaves. i saw your useless links. THe first picture itself was a give away. it is of the Sultan of Oman, a slave trader and a descendant of a Zanzibari slave trader (African) and an Arab woman from Muscat. there you go.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Tinyemeka(m): 4:20am On Feb 10, 2013
Yup. It's true. Even for the Koma people of Adamawa.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by ecosanders: 6:38am On Feb 10, 2013
honeric01:

How did you come up with this? do you know the sponsors? if yes, why are you not helping the govt with this information?
mr Man shattap dia, d guy state d bitter truth, it shows u r nt current, u cn only c tru ur bigotry 4 d Hausas, u nid history lesson, and a lot of travelling u xpose ur little medulla.

Dat Tiv stuff is no longa in practice, if u doubt, pay a Tiv man a visit and demand 4 his wife.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Pain(m): 7:31am On Feb 10, 2013
indoorlove: Oga, if you said the tradition is no longer practise again, u would have made more sense than outrightly denied it was ever practised. I was in Benue for a visit around 1996 or thereabout and believe me, this act was practised before my very eye. Pls dont ask me if i live with them, they were my neigbour and one of their son who was my friend told me there was nothing wrong with it.

Pathetic liar. Your cock and bull story is a stench of fallacy. Why lie to force down a fallacy? I say it with all certainty because I served in the military and had friends from all ethic groups. The c.oitus hospitality is just a myth and the stuff of fables.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by flames77(m): 7:39am On Feb 10, 2013
fellis:

Wow.

I was wondering if the rumors I heard about this practice are actually true.
How disgusting.
In this day and age people are still using their wives to serve as entertainment for visitors.
its not true,i am a tive guy, and i am telling you its a big lie.pls you can call or email me @08097976054 achanbenjamin@gmail.com for confermation.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by SimplySEA(m): 7:44am On Feb 10, 2013
fellis:

Wow.

I was wondering if the rumors I heard about this practice are actually true.
How disgusting.
In this day and age people are still using their wives to serve as entertainment for visitors.

no mind d Op.... I'm from Benue. I 've heard d stories too! Ancient history it is. Near tiv man wife whether him no go bleed u.....!
Re: 7 Facts About The North by caesaraba(m): 7:49am On Feb 10, 2013
flames77: its not true,i am a tive guy, and i am telling you its a big lie.pls you can call or email me @08097976054 achanbenjamin@gmail.com for confermation.

Haha, keep trying your luck. You think these people care if it's true or not? They survive on mis-information. Let the ignorant ones be. They are very useful sometimes.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 7:50am On Feb 10, 2013
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 7:52am On Feb 10, 2013
On my way to visit my tiv friend i must phuck some tiv punny
Re: 7 Facts About The North by caesaraba(m): 7:53am On Feb 10, 2013
omo_to_dun: Chei, if only there were a culture where the woman can give her husband out as "refreshment" to her female visitors, I for don go marry from that culture.

Serving me as entertainment to her female guests? I am in.

174th to comment, so I give all the glory to Obatala in the mighty name of Jesus.

Yes oo, my brother, just be steadfast and keep praying. A culture like that might just come up. Don't lose hope ko. You will get it soon. IJN, Amen!
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 8:49am On Feb 10, 2013
black_beau: You forgot two other facts
1)They love power too much
2)They are holding the entire nation to ransom now.
be sensible for once we aint tribalistic here
Re: 7 Facts About The North by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:54am On Feb 10, 2013
Tinyemeka:
Yup. It's true. Even for the Koma people of Adamawa.
u dnt mean it. What a dirty act
Re: 7 Facts About The North by adewale2011(m): 11:00am On Feb 10, 2013
I won go make friend with Tiv boys o! Make i dey flex their wives, what a superb tradition
Re: 7 Facts About The North by adewale2011(m): 11:03am On Feb 10, 2013
Guy take me along o! Make i be special guest
ayswags: On my way to visit my tiv friend i must phuck some tiv punny
Re: 7 Facts About The North by informatix: 11:27am On Feb 10, 2013
90% of our southern Brothers didnt know 4 out of 7. Some went as far as calling Buhari,Atiku,Abacha,almustapha,gowon and IBB. Hausa which Non of them is Hausa. only Yaradua is Hausa.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by informatix: 11:28am On Feb 10, 2013
adewale2011: Guy take me along o! Make i be special guest
HIV. AIDS is Real.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by ow11(m): 11:29am On Feb 10, 2013
As usual ignorance and the attendant bigotry is holding sway....

someone wrote about facts ans decided to add a tale of old about Tivs and the largely r'etarded members of this forum are jumping for joy at the thought that a certain group of Nigerians in 2013 use free sex as entertainment for visitors.

That story is as true as Ngwa people eating visitors or Efik people killing twins.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by logica(m): 11:32am On Feb 10, 2013
informatix: 90% of our southern Brothers didnt know 4 out of 7. Some went as far as calling Buhari,Atiku,Abacha,almustapha,gowon and IBB. Hausa which Non of them is Hausa. only Yaradua is Hausa.
Quite understandable; after all these guys were indistinguishable as they colluded to drag the country through the mud, and several centuries backward. All we heard was "One North". Now you are all struggling to tell us you are different? I guess the romance is over eh?
Re: 7 Facts About The North by hakunamatata1: 11:39am On Feb 10, 2013
here goes the Evils of writing what u dont know: u can set d ball rolling but be unable to stop it. Op has misinformed the general public with some trash about the Tiv pple he knows nothing about & the over-gullible NLders r rolling over one another condeming an innocent tribe.
I served in Makurdi & tarried several months after my NYSC 5yrs ago. in all d places i lived from MKD to Gboko, K/ala, Ukum & Gbajimba there was none of such practice even in their remote villages. just a mythe in their history tortraying their hospitality.
To validate his Fallacy, the Op shld pray tell us if, where & when he enjoyed such s.exual privileges..... Rubbish!
Re: 7 Facts About The North by hakunamatata1: 11:49am On Feb 10, 2013
[quote author=Mavrick2012]
(5) A traditional Tiv man allows his "special" visitor or relation to make love to his wife.

here goes the Evils of writing what u dont know: u can set d ball rolling but be unable to stop it. Op has misinformed the general public with some trash about the Tiv pple he knows nothing about & the over-gullible NLders r rolling over one another condeming an innocent tribe.
I served in Makurdi & tarried several months after my NYSC 5yrs ago. in all d places i lived from MKD to Gboko, K/ala, Ukum & Gbajimba there was none of such practice even in their remote villages. just a mythe in their history portraying their hospitality.
To validate his Fallacy, the Op shld pray tell us if, where & when he enjoyed such s.exual privileges..... Rubbish!
Re: 7 Facts About The North by REVOLUTNIS: 12:06pm On Feb 10, 2013
@ post, u mentioned 7 facts abt the North without making mention of TERRORISM which i think is their way of life. Every Muslim up North is a potential TERRORIST!!!
Re: 7 Facts About The North by caesaraba(m): 12:08pm On Feb 10, 2013
hakuna matata: here goes the Evils of writing what u dont know: u can set d ball rolling but be unable to stop it. Op has misinformed the general public with some trash about the Tiv pple he knows nothing about & the over-gullible NLders r rolling over one another condeming an innocent tribe.
I served in Makurdi & tarried several months after my NYSC 5yrs ago. in all d places i lived from MKD to Gboko, K/ala, Ukum & Gbajimba there was none of such practice even in their remote villages. just a mythe in their history tortraying their hospitality.

And you are a southerner? This is surprising! shocked shocked shocked
Re: 7 Facts About The North by pikin(m): 1:30pm On Feb 10, 2013
Mavrick2012: (1) Their are about 73 DIFFERENT languages in Taraba state alone,48 in Plateau,60 in Bauchi,58 in Adamawa,57 in Kaduna,38 in Niger,29 in Nasarawa and 28 in Borno.

(2) Apart from Sokoto and Zamfara state, EVERY other state in the north has indigenous Christian population.

(3) Except Benue,kogi,plateau,Niger and Borno,the remaining 14 state's heads of traditional councils are all Fulanis.

(4) The sultan of sokoto is the only traditional leader that occupy's the highest number of offices in Nigeria:head of sokoto state traditional council,head of northern traditional council,chairman of the traditional council of Nigeria,head of Nigeria's muslim umma(congregation) and co-chairman of Nigeria's interfaith council.He also functions in various offices common with Nigerian traditional and religious leaders.

(5) A traditional Tiv man allows his "special" visitor or relation to make love to his wife..This is not true!

(6) After "sekin uku",i.e third divorce,a northern muslim can remarry his divorced wife only if she (a) marry's another man,(b)have sex with him atleast once and (c)get a divorce from that man.

(7) Boko haram was founded and being run by Kanuris (not Hausa/Fulanis)
Re: 7 Facts About The North by honeric01(m): 1:48pm On Feb 10, 2013
ecosanders: mr Man shattap dia, d guy state d bitter truth, it shows u r nt current, u cn only c tru ur bigotry 4 d Hausas, u nid history lesson, and a lot of travelling u xpose ur little medulla.

Dat Tiv stuff is no longa in practice, if u doubt, pay a Tiv man a visit and demand 4 his wife.

Excuse me sir, apart from the jargon you wrote, what exactly have you said?
Re: 7 Facts About The North by numiko(m): 4:18pm On Feb 10, 2013
Mavrick2012: (1) Their are about 73 DIFFERENT languages in Taraba state alone,48 in Plateau,60 in Bauchi,58 in Adamawa,57 in Kaduna,38 in Niger,29 in Nasarawa and 28 in Borno.

(2) Apart from Sokoto and Zamfara state, EVERY other state in the north has indigenous Christian population.

(3) Except Benue,kogi,plateau,Niger and Borno,the remaining 14 state's heads of traditional councils are all Fulanis.

(4) The sultan of sokoto is the only traditional leader that occupy's the highest number of offices in Nigeria:head of sokoto state traditional council,head of northern traditional council,chairman of the traditional council of Nigeria,head of Nigeria's muslim umma(congregation) and co-chairman of Nigeria's interfaith council.He also functions in various offices common with Nigerian traditional and religious leaders.

(5) A traditional Tiv man allows his "special" visitor or relation to make love to his wife.

(6) After "sekin uku",i.e third divorce,a northern muslim can remarry his divorced wife only if she (a) marry's another man,(b)have sex with him atleast once and (c)get a divorce from that man.

(7) Boko haram was founded and being run by Kanuris (not Hausa/Fulanis)

First of all there is no such thing as Fulani-Nupe, any more than there is Yoruba-Igbo. Secondly, there is no hausa word "sekin" or "seki". I find it quite amazing how our young people are going to school the more but turning out quite uneducated; you should stop peddling negative local stereotypes. And since you seem to be interested in conquered territories, you could perhaps explore how white prisoners from the UK were sent to Australia and ended up wiping out almost the entire local aborigines - white people are not native to Australia. Neither are they native to the US - there too they almost wiped out the local Indian population. Nigerians spreading negative stereotypes about their own people ultimately make the country weaker.

So what is your beef with the conquering fulanis, exactly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yusuf Bayero Is Dead! Emir Of Kano's Uncle Dies / Unoaku Anyadike Visits The Ooni Of Ife (photo) / Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.