Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,126 members, 7,818,377 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? (2840 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Attacks Archbishop Onaiyekan, Bishops Kick. / Religious Parents Beat Son To Death In Church For Not Confessing His Sins / The Lavish Homes Of American Archbishops! (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jan 13, 2013
Why? This is now becoming a new phenomena! Almost every month, some poor child who stops going to church or stops believing in God gets kicked out and we see it on facebook or reddit or other social networks.

Isnt punishment enough? You have to throw the child on the streets to become a homeless vagabond? urthermore, I hve seen many teenagers get into trouble from stealing, bullying and drug abuse, yet not going to church or stopping to believe in religion is now the thing to get kicked out and disowned for.

Here is a sad story of a 17 year old on reddit;

www.nairaland.com/attachments/947395_reddit_atheist_teen_jpgf3d8e5f8c850db42746844747984aaee

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/16hvl5/help_my_parents_kicked_me_out_of_home_for/
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Lovethywilbedon: 2:58am On Jan 14, 2013
That does'nt happen here in Nigeria. If you think so, can you give us one example (preferably in Christianity) that you didn't make up by yourself. By the way when will you fruitless attack on Religion end. You spend 19 to 22 hours of your daily life on Nairaland creating useless multiple threads and looking for Christians and Moslems to attack, at the end you have "not a single convert to atheisim" to show for it. Are you jobless or what?.
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Nobody: 3:14am On Jan 14, 2013
Lovethywilbedon: That does'nt happen here in Nigeria. If you think so, can you give us one example (preferably in Christianity) that you didn't make up by yourself. By the way when will you fruitless attack on Religion end. You spend 19 to 22 hours of your daily life on Nairaland creating useless multiple threads and looking for Christians and Moslems to attack, at the end you have "not a single convert to atheisim" to show for it. Are you jobless or what?.

1) This eviction of unbelieving teenagers happens in the West among christians commonly.

2) I am Nigerian and I can tell you first hand what it is like to treated differently for your irreligiousity and threatened to be disowned.

BTW, how do you know the amount of time I spend on nairaland? You have magic? I dont know who told you that I spend that much time on Nairaland because that is a lie.
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Goshen360(m): 4:04am On Jan 14, 2013
Lovethywilbedon: That does'nt happen here in Nigeria. If you think so, can you give us one example (preferably in Christianity) that you didn't make up by yourself. By the way when will you fruitless attack on Religion end. You spend 19 to 22 hours of your daily life on Nairaland creating useless multiple threads and looking for Christians and Moslems to attack, at the end you have "not a single convert to atheisim" to show for it. Are you jobless or what?.

I'm Goshen360 and I APPROVE this message!

cheesy
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Nobody: 4:20am On Jan 14, 2013
Goshen360:

I'm Goshen360 and I APPROVE this message!

cheesy

Typical christian; will approve of lies against an atheist.

.....in addition to trolling......so christlike smiley
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Goshen360(m): 4:28am On Jan 14, 2013
Logicboy03:

Typical christian; will approve of lies against an atheist.

.....in addition to trolling......so christlike smiley

...and it not Athestistical to fruitlessly attack on Religion endlessly. You spend 19 to 22 hours of your daily life on Nairaland creating useless multiple threads and looking for Christians and Moslems to attack, at the end you have "not a single convert to atheisim" to show for it.

Then the kweshion was..............Are you jobless or what? No be me ask am oooo... cheesy
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Nobody: 4:55am On Jan 14, 2013
Goshen360:

...and it not Athestistical to fruitlessly attack on Religion endlessly. [size=18pt]You spend 19 to 22 hours of your daily life on Nairaland[/size] creating useless multiple threads and looking for Christians and Moslems to attack, at the end you have "not a single convert to atheisim" to show for it.

Then the kweshion was..............Are you jobless or what? No be me ask am oooo... cheesy

I've been meaning to ask. Has he no job? What does he do for a living? shocked shocked grin

Seriously... i can bet on logicboy posting on NL the same way i can bet the day will break tomorrow morning! Man, for a guy who hates God... you certainly spend 95% of your life obsessing about him. Bro... you are about to see your Paul moment Amen.
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Nobody: 5:02am On Jan 14, 2013
Here is the way i see the problem. Your parents are your parents... unfortunately and as harsh as it may sound, as long as they feed you and clothe you, you have no choice but to follow their rules and that includes attending church.

The problem here is that the teen in question has bought into the latest fad where children now stare down their parents, embrace a culture of disobedience... bravo to the parents in question! I'm not saying this from a religion perspective only... if my father where muslim and one of the rules for remaining his child and being fed, clothed and housed for free was to knock my head 5 times a day... so be it! When you are old enough to earn your bread, clothe yourself and buy your own house... then by all means refuse to go to church.

Just ask yourself... if you were a parent and your 14 yr old teen refused to go to school, would you just shrug and let it pass?
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Goshen360(m): 5:04am On Jan 14, 2013
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Nobody: 10:51am On Jan 14, 2013
Goshen360:

...and it not Athestistical to fruitlessly attack on Religion endlessly. You spend 19 to 22 hours of your daily life on Nairaland creating useless multiple threads and looking for Christians and Moslems to attack, at the end you have "not a single convert to atheisim" to show for it.

You have no shame. You still accept the lie that I spend 19-22 hours a day on Nairaland

You fail to realise that I'm very hardworking so 3 hours a day on nairaland can result in numerous threads and comments.

Even if I waste my whole life on Nairaland religion section, it is worth it if my comments can save a family from going bankrupt from tithe preaching or a child from being molested or beaten to death in the church (either from a horn priest or because of accusations of witchcraft)
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Nobody: 10:54am On Jan 14, 2013
davidylan:

I've been meaning to ask. Has he no job? What does he do for a living? shocked shocked grin

Seriously... i can bet on logicboy posting on NL the same way i can bet the day will break tomorrow morning! Man, for a guy who hates God... you certainly spend 95% of your life obsessing about him. Bro... you are about to see your Paul moment Amen.

Delusions of grandeur.

Atheists dont believe in God, rather, they are worried about the evil done by people in God's name.

Get some sense.
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Nobody: 11:02am On Jan 14, 2013
davidylan: Here is the way i see the problem. Your parents are your parents... unfortunately and as harsh as it may sound, as long as they feed you and clothe you, you have no choice but to follow their rules and that includes attending church.

The problem here is that the teen in question has bought into the latest fad where children now stare down their parents, embrace a culture of disobedience... bravo to the parents in question! I'm not saying this from a religion perspective only... if my father where muslim and one of the rules for remaining his child and being fed, clothed and housed for free was to knock my head 5 times a day... so be it! When you are old enough to earn your bread, clothe yourself and buy your own house... then by all means refuse to go to church.

Just ask yourself... if you were a parent and your 14 yr old teen refused to go to school, would you just shrug and let it pass?

sad

How sad.

Christians claim that their religion means that we are all sinners and we should love, learn about the love of God and be morally upright people.

Sending a teen to the streets will only make him a thug in the long run. So, in adition to creating an atheist, youhave added a menace to the society. Bravo!

Furthermore, if parents can forgive their children stealing, fornicating and fighting but cant forgive leaving christianity, then it defeats the point of being a christian. It is just ironic and close-minded on the part of the parents.

It is one thing for the parents to get angry and punish the child for disobedience but another to kick him out on the streets.

As for comparing religion to school in a childs life as if they carry the same weight only shows how you are blinded by your own religion
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Nobody: 11:29am On Jan 14, 2013
davidylan: Here is the way i see the problem. Your parents are your parents... unfortunately and as harsh as it may sound, as long as they feed you and clothe you, you have no choice but to follow their rules and that includes attending church.

Agreed, but we must realize from experience, that going to church makes no one saved , in fact as a teenager I was more eager to see my girlfriend in church than listen to whatever the priest had to say.

I also find the attitude of many Nigerian parents rather repulsive, shouting at children to go to church sometimes even hitting them etc , this is not the way of LOVE, fear and harshness can never endear one to the cause of Christ, I am witness to that.

Also, because of this attitude , countless children have abandoned their parent's belief system the moment they leave home.

If the parents take the time to expose the scriptures to their children, show a good example , exercise great degrees of patience and show more gentle and kind traits , more kids will be won over for Christ.

The Nigerian method of cajoling and coercing kids to go to church does not work.

The problem here is that the teen in question has bought into the latest fad where children now stare down their parents, embrace a culture of disobedience... bravo to the parents in question!

Yep , my kids dare not try this, my wife and I are as tough as it comes grin. We will teach them an African lesson in manners.

I'm not saying this from a religion perspective only... if my father where muslim and one of the rules for remaining his child and being fed, clothed and housed for free was to knock my head 5 times a day... so be it! When you are old enough to earn your bread, clothe yourself and buy your own house... then by all means refuse to go to church.

Hmm, easy here. If my DAD is a Muslim and I suddenly became a Christian through the new birth , of course I will stop going to the mosque and damn the consequences , albeit in a respectful and gentle fashion. I have done this myself at university level and suffered for a number of years. God is faithful , he never let me down.

Nope, will drag him/her by the ear to school grin
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by prairie(f): 11:31am On Jan 14, 2013
Logicboy03: Why? This is now becoming a new phenomena! Almost every month, some poor child who stops going to church or stops believing in God gets kicked out and we see it on facebook or reddit or other social networks.

Isnt punishment enough? You have to throw the child on the streets to become a homeless vagabond? urthermore, I hve seen many teenagers get into trouble from stealing, bullying and drug abuse, yet not going to church or stopping to believe in religion is now the thing to get kicked out and disowned for.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/947395_reddit_atheist_teen_jpgf3d8e5f8c850db42746844747984aaee

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/16hvl5/help_my_parents_kicked_me_out_of_home_for/
dat is for those who do not kno d tenets of christianity
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Nobody: 11:35am On Jan 14, 2013
@ Logicboy03 , I will not disown my children no matter what , and that includes them turning to atheism or whatever.

As parents , we are to love our children to the very end, though they may choose destructive paths or habits , our duty is to to continue to nurture them , pray for them, love them, talk and reason with them till the last breath.

Life is too short.

But, I will NEVER allow my kids practice immorality or their bad habits in my house, no way.

Feeding, clothes and shelter will be theirs so long as they do not bring their perverse ways into the home. For example, sleepover girlfriends or boyfriend will not be allowed, corrupting other children with their ways , playing loud perverse music, smoking whatever , excessive drinking of alcohol etc , back chatting and general rudeness.

If they do not obey my rules to this regard , they are out !!
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Nobody: 11:43am On Jan 14, 2013
Easier said than done, frosbel.. Let's hope your kids turn out the way you wish.. Else you may have a hypocrite for a son, maybe he'll have sleepover male friends... Hehehehehe...

Calm down, man...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by AtheistD(m): 11:48am On Jan 14, 2013
Ppl are confusing the issue. The issue is that the child has a right to whatever religion they prefer or no religion at all. It is a fundamental human right.

If the child is committing criminal acts or putting your life and those of others in danger then you can disown such a child. For religous purposes you either reason with the child or let the child be.

What if my child decides to be xtian? Should I throw the child out?

This even extends to marriage these days. Some parents refuse to allow their offspring to marry other xtian debominations i.e. Catholic marrying Anglican or pentecostal etc. Where is the love and tolerance?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Nobody: 11:53am On Jan 14, 2013
frosbel: @ Logicboy03 , I will not disown my children no matter what , and that includes them turning to atheism or whatever.

As parents , we are to love our children to the very end, though they may choose destructive paths or habits , our duty is to to continue to nurture them , pray for them, love them, talk and reason with them till the last breath.

Life is too short.

But, I will NEVER allow my kids practice immorality or their bad habits in my house, no way.

Feeding, clothes and shelter will be theirs so long as they do not bring their perverse ways into the home. For example, sleepover girlfriends or boyfriend will not be allowed, corrupting other children with their ways , playing loud perverse music, smoking whatever , excessive drinking of alcohol etc , back chatting and general rudeness.

If they do not obey my rules to this regard , they are out !!

My father always had crates of expensive alcohol but I never one day drank one bottle. Why? I was given simple logical reasons;

-many men cant handle alcohol and why should a child drink it? When you are a man you can decide for yourself
-alcohol is not important in life. It is great for parties but not necessary

The logical reasons last best. When you do something by force as a parent, the children will do it when they are free.
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Nobody: 11:54am On Jan 14, 2013
Atheist:-D:
Ppl are confusing the issue. The issue is that the child has a right to whatever religion they prefer or no religion at all. It is a fundamental human right.

Yep

If the child is committing criminal acts or putting your life and those of others in danger then you can disown such a child. For religous purposes you either reason with the child or let the child be.

100% true !

This even extends to marriage these days. Some parents refuse to allow their offspring to marry other xtian debominations i.e. Catholic marrying Anglican or pentecostal etc. Where is the love and tolerance?

a little complex, but imho a person who is irreligious will be hard pressed to marry someone religious, best to keep things in perspective !
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Nobody: 11:56am On Jan 14, 2013
musKeeto: Easier said than done, frosbel.. Let's hope your kids turn out the way you wish.. Else you may have a hypocrite for a son, maybe he'll have sleepover male friends... Hehehehehe...

Calm down, man...

I will 'kill' them both , just joking cheesy

Like I said , do what you like wherever , but not in my house, and I am talking about serious matters here not trivialities !
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Paschal007: 6:23pm On Jan 14, 2013
Logicboy03: Why? This is now becoming a new phenomena! Almost every month, some poor child who stops going to church or stops believing in God gets kicked out and we see it on facebook or reddit or other social networks.

Colossians 3:21 - Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged.
I totally condemn the action of this parent if this story is true. The alleged actions of the parent goes against the teachings of Christ.

That said i hope and pray that the evangelical, fanatic atheist on this forum who spend up to 19-22 hrs obsessing about God don't kick their kids out if they dare become religious.
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 14, 2013
Paschal007: Colossians 3:21 - Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged.
I totally condemn the action of this parent if this story is true. The alleged actions of the parent goes against the teachings of Christ.

That said i hope and pray that the evangelical, fanatic atheist on this forum who spend up to 19-22 hrs obsessing about God don't kick their kids out if they dare become religious.

Fail.....most atheists live as a minority with christians. We are generally more tolerant. You will hardly hear that an atheist parent kicks out his christian child.
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jan 14, 2013
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Javanian: 7:24am On Jan 15, 2013
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by AtheistD(m): 8:14am On Jan 15, 2013
Paschal007:

If he/she wanrs to be a xtian, muslim, hindu, buddhist, pagan or any other religion it is their preserved right and I will support them. As long as they dont bexome evil with their religion i.e. boko haram extremist or tithe robbing pastor.
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Paschal007: 8:51am On Jan 15, 2013

If he/she wanrs to be a xtian, muslim, hindu, buddhist, pagan or any other religion it is their preserved right and I will support them. As long as they dont bexome evil with their religion i.e. boko haram extremist or tithe robbing pastor.
Good to know
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by AtheistD(m): 8:53am On Jan 15, 2013
Paschal007: Good to know

Damn right. So what about you? What would you do if your kid wanted to be a muslim or atheist?
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by cyrexx: 9:06am On Jan 15, 2013
Javanian:

Wrong! Logicboy and muskeeto won me over some months back when i was still confused and afraid...

I don't comment on this board, but i'm a regular visitor...

Thanks to them i was able to dump christianity big time..i'm now a full time AGNOSTIC. Kudos! Guys...

WORD!!

Logicboy, are you taking note?

Your efforts are yielding fruits.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by AtheistD(m): 9:11am On Jan 15, 2013
cyrexx:

WORD!!

Lol. Logicboy and anonys detailed arguments made me join nairaland. grin

Now i have been a pestilence here ever since wink smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Paschal007: 9:22am On Jan 15, 2013

Damn right. So what about you? What would you do if your kid wanted to be a muslim or atheist?
I guess i'll do what my parents did when i stopped attending their own church. Let them be after confrontation.
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by AtheistD(m): 9:25am On Jan 15, 2013
Paschal007: I guess i'll do what my parents did when i stopped attending their own church. Let them be after confrontation.

What type of comfrontation? Nothing too aggressive I hope?

Isnt it better to talk things through? To discuss a lot and get to fully understand their choices?
Re: Why Do Xtian/religious Parents Kick Out Their Unbelieving Teen Kids From Homes? by Nobody: 9:25am On Jan 15, 2013
cyrexx:

WORD!!

Lol. I've always made mention of this. There are a lot more guests and frequent visitors his arguments and threads have influenced than we realise.

@Javanian: hehehe, but java's crap sha tongue.... I visit the programming section once in a while too...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chomsky On The "New Atheism" / Ifa Temple Service - Ibadan / West Africans And Africans In Southern Part Of Africa Are The REAL ISRAELITES.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.