Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,151 members, 7,953,577 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:32 PM

Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? (14362 Views)

Please Constructively Criticise This Cover Letter / Please Help In Evaluating This Cover Letter / Please Help Review this Cover Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by phlamy(m): 9:22pm On Jan 16, 2013
Wall Street Bosses Are Calling This 'The Best Cover Letter Ever' - But Not Everyone Agrees - Forbes
http://www.forbes.com/sites/crossingbord...
Shocker. It seems that ‘humble’ could actually work on Wall Street. Well, at least for the brutally honest and hilariously self-deprecating young student, whose cover letter publicized on Business Insider, has generated a ton of positive interest amongst investment banking bosses. Perhaps unsurprisi…

Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by azpekuliar: 5:56am On Jan 17, 2013
Deserves an interview.

1 Like

Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 6:22am On Jan 17, 2013
What's the writer's reason for blocking those very salient details?
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by azpekuliar: 7:07am On Jan 17, 2013
^^ Those details weren't meant for the public domain.

1 Like

Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by etalker: 7:56am On Jan 17, 2013
And WTF is BLOCK?
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by akatonero(m): 9:19am On Jan 17, 2013
grin grin grin grin
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by mcevans1(m): 9:21am On Jan 17, 2013
e-talker:
And WTF is BLOCK?

It's the Opposite of brick. undecided

16 Likes

Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by shiftbutton: 9:21am On Jan 17, 2013
Dammm. I think this will work almost anywhere especially if you have the unilateral power to make the decision to employ the person.
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by aieromon(m): 9:22am On Jan 17, 2013
e-talker:
And WTF is BLOCK?

That's private information we shouldn't bother about.
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by nasty45(m): 9:22am On Jan 17, 2013
azpekuliar: Deserves an interview.
oh buah yur signature wan tear my belle wit lafta...¤çæphä guy¤
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by DisGuy: 9:23am On Jan 17, 2013
Afam4eva: What's the writer's reason for blocking those very salient details?

Duh!
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 9:24am On Jan 17, 2013
LOL grin I actually thought the reason why they found this cover letter one of the best was because of the "BLOCKED" in it
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:24am On Jan 17, 2013
He was being honest, a rarity in the labour market. He would get the job in Nigeria or anywhere else
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by nasty45(m): 9:25am On Jan 17, 2013
mc~evans:

It's the Opposite of brick. undecided
una no go kil pesn wit lafta....i don dy hr
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by Ibadiarann(m): 9:25am On Jan 17, 2013
it can work. as long as it gets to the desired reader.
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:25am On Jan 17, 2013
e-talker:
And WTF is BLOCK?

It means feces cheesy
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by aieromon(m): 9:25am On Jan 17, 2013
azpekuliar: Deserves an interview.

Yes,if its a one-man business. This write up enters his personnel file and might likely affect his career progression within that organisation. Imagine if he is to be made CEO in 25 years time and the board decide to go through his records.
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:26am On Jan 17, 2013
It can only work in Nigeria if it is not BLOCKED from reaching the individual it is addressed to.

2 Likes

Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by Mavor: 9:27am On Jan 17, 2013
Wont work in Nigeria. Cos this is not a sane country. Everything here is about connections or unrealistic expectations. Most companies expect you to have all the certifications in the world and then when you come, they transfer all the work to you with no initial training and pay you peanuts. Besides most of the mega-companies are looking for people with 7-10 years of experience which is just plain silly.

1 Like

Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by Harbb: 9:27am On Jan 17, 2013
This is honesty. Unlike the lie-filled CVs and cover letters we cook up in Nigeria, this cover letter is a sincere one. Until we learn to be sincere to ourselves, we'd keep fooling around.

2 Likes

Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:27am On Jan 17, 2013
e-talker:
And WTF is BLOCK?
Block, as in blockos
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by holyvirgin: 9:30am On Jan 17, 2013
A Nigerian employer won't accept this cover letter, he wants you to lie about how skilled you are, he wants you to see 15years working experience even if you've never worked all your life, he wants you include that you were a first class student even if you bribed your lecturers to get the scores, who cares? Just keep the lies coming as you write a resume and I tell you a nigerian employer would be impressed.
Btw this days nobody is giving you a job unless you are well connected. Resume's don't count

1 Like

Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by olawalebabs(m): 9:31am On Jan 17, 2013
Will give him a try, simple, sincere and straight to the point.

Afam4eva: What's the writer's reason for blocking those very salient details?
Those details is of no use the subject under discourse.
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by naijacutee(f): 9:31am On Jan 17, 2013
I find it interesting that it is the blocked part that interests our people, and nothing else.

3 Likes

Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by stineb1: 9:38am On Jan 17, 2013
Let me quickly copy and edit it for my use as a template. It will be helpful
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by ayojosh2k(m): 9:40am On Jan 17, 2013
I ll give him a Job without blinking, honesty is a very rare virtue around here....
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by gbogboti: 9:40am On Jan 17, 2013
I am so so impressed. If I was in HR and see this letter, I will be too anxious to see the applicant.
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by mu2sa2: 9:42am On Jan 17, 2013
Excellent letter. The applicant is intelligent and willing to learn- these two attributes qualifies him to be taken straightaway by a discerning employer. But in nigeria employment is more often than not based on political,ethnic or family considerations- you dont even need to apply, you are just called on because with the right connection nobody cares about your competence.

1 Like

Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by Akanniade(m): 9:42am On Jan 17, 2013
not in naija where bullshit, who u know, willingness to "cooperate" is the order of the day. Such candour works in a more advanced society.
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by Xunxhine(m): 9:43am On Jan 17, 2013
Its a cover and not a letter. Gettin job isn't pity, its what you can offer. When i become CEO, i won't employ that kinda person, cus of too many excuses.
Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by FindOut(m): 9:52am On Jan 17, 2013
naijacutee: I find it interesting that it is the blocked part that interests our people, and nothing else.

That's to show how most of us view issues in this country. From very serious matters like choosing a President to seemingly mundane ones like appraising a cover letter posted for us on NL, we usually focus on non-issues, argue and debate extensively on it, while ignoring what should really be our primary concern............to our detriment most times of course.

Are you surprised the country is not developed?

@Post, I wrote something fairly similiar in structure some months back to a solid ''silent'' MNC in Nigeria headquarter-ed close to my house, even added a few bits of the company history for them, I havn't received a reply yet o! Tho in fairness, no vacancy was actually advertised.

2 Likes

Re: Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? by BE811APP: 9:54am On Jan 17, 2013
can cover letter help someone in 9ja??

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should I Go For A Job Of 150k In Epe L.G.A / Recruitment @ Banks Phb And Firstinland. / Why Does A Job Interviewer Want To Know My Current Salary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.