Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,072 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

The Book Discussion Club (foreign) - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Book Discussion Club (foreign) (2533 Views)

Guess The Author Or The Book / Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. / The Book Of Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by ortopazz(m): 7:11pm On Jan 21, 2013
nt to wori my naughty self just needed thanks!'

u knw we humans
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by LarrySun(m): 9:08pm On Jan 23, 2013
Hey guys,
We can now download The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown in whatever format we want. I can't wait for the discuss to kick off on Saturday.
Bless you all smiley
http://www.bookos.org/s/?q=The+Lost+Symbol&t=0
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by LarrySun(m): 2:28pm On Jan 26, 2013
PROLOGUE:

Now, what kind of secret society have her members drink wine from the craater of a skull? It is evident that the initiate is really a bad man.

And U.S.A is such a country with so many lots of secrets. Imaggine having such a secret society being located a few blocks from the White House. Keeping my thumbs crossed.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by LarrySun(m): 3:07pm On Jan 26, 2013
CHAPTER ONE:

Okay, now we're introduced to Dan Brown's hero of Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code, Professor Robert Ebele Langdon.

Reading this chapter, I learnt the history behind why ties (neckties or bow-ties) are so popular among office workers. I don't really fancy one, though. Ties make me look like a penguin.

Langdon is being summoned by his mentor, Mr. Peter Solomon. I think something fishy is behind this sudden call. I just hope nothing bad has happened to Solomon, and Langdon isn't sticking his symbolic neck in a symbolic hornet's cave.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 26, 2013
Prologue
The secret is how to die? Why on earth will i want to know how to die.And then there's that creepy cult or is it brotherhood,drinking from the skull eiew.

Chapter one
Ah Uncle langdon is back,he and his one way traffic dressing and that was what gave him away.i bet we'r in for an adventure here as professor langdon takes us into his world of symbols.
@larry which one is Ebele again,lol.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by LarrySun(m): 9:07pm On Jan 26, 2013
Where have you been, Madam Deola?
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by agatha4life: 11:58pm On Jan 26, 2013
Prologue
“May this wine I now drink become a deadly poison to me .should I ever knowingly or willfully violate my oath.” and the initiate main aim is to knowingly and willfully violate the oath.

Chapter 1.
Everything had happened so quickly with Prof Langdon arriving under a veil of secrecy to Capitol Building.Hope all is well with Robert Langdon‘s arrival.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jan 27, 2013
Larry-Sun:
Where have you been, Madam Deola?
I've been around sir.miss me?
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by LarrySun(m): 12:29pm On Jan 27, 2013
D-deola:

I've been around sir.miss me?
A lot.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by megareal: 2:51pm On Jan 27, 2013
Prologue

''The secret is how to die.''
A statement so poignant, filled with unfathomable images of death and all it portends. Meaning how you die may determine the outcome of your reward in the afterlife. Or maybe, just maybe there are better ways of dying: something like dying for a higher cause?
Now its obvious the initiate has a sinister motive.I see him as a manwho is willing to sacrifice all to get what he wants. For a man to go through the rigours of initiations from the first to the 33rd level, taking deadly oaths while meaning to break them shows a single minded, brutal individual who will not be daunted by any thing. Something propels him to take this route and I think its revenge. The closing statement alludes to this. ''soon you will lose everything you hold most dear.''
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by ortopazz(m): 6:26pm On Jan 27, 2013
prologue
how to die, how to die?
Who wants to die,? Nt me anyways, ....here from what I can deduce, to die here means giving up ur mortal self, and takes us to what people do ''to belong'' here even ordinary men are made equal with big men in the group, and the initiate here to me, is here for an ulterior motive...lets read on
buh on the setting it is still the usual Dan Brown setting of which evrything is taken in account with meticulous detail, thumbs to him!!
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by LarrySun(m): 5:55pm On Feb 14, 2013
Chapter Two: We're introduced to, perhaps, the villain here. He's named Mal'akh. With the kind of description the author gave this character, I wouldn't call him human, I'd rather refer to him as 'Creature', because I'm not sure a human being would tattoo the whole of his own body with grotesque images and symbol. It appears as if the creature is onto something very important and he's ready to do anything to achieve that thing, even at the behest of others.

I initially like the idea of having my body tattooed but this Mal'akh has really molested that beauty. And the admonition of Leviticus 19.28 had even forbidden the marking of one's flesh. So, I'm gonna pass on that.

This Mal'akh is the master of a twisted game of chess, and I think Langdon has just been made his pawn.

Chapter Three: Here, we are taken into the reason behind Langdon's mysterious visit to the Capitol. His menthor, Peter Solomon, appears to have called him to make a speech at a gathering. And because of the respect Langdon had for the older man, he accepted to make the trip, on a Sunday! But funnily enough, he didn't even get to speak with the said Peter Solomon himself, he just got into a private jet and flew down to Boston. Much for an intelligent symbologist. Personally, I smell a whole lots of vermins in this affair.

Someone is setting Langdon up!
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by Nobody: 7:49pm On Feb 15, 2013
Chapter 2
This ma'lakh guy looks deceptive.
His mind seems to be twisted and he's out for no good.

Chapter 3
Prof langdon i think was working with the total trust he had in his mentor so he had no reason to suspect any foul play in fact he saw everything that was provided for him as typical of peter solomon, but being an avid reader of Dan Brown's novels,i'm suspecting there's more to the luxury he's provided with than meets the eye,i think it's the prof's knowledge of symbols that's needed.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by LarrySun(m): 9:41pm On Mar 03, 2013
Chapter Four: The sneaky, devilish Mal'akh is at it again. I believe he's now ready to wreak he promised earlier in the prologue. He's disguised and successfully made it past the tight security. Hmmm! I wonder what's inside that sling he's carrying. I know somehow that Peter Solomon is the centre of this plan. A plan quite inimical to his survival, methinks.

Chapter Five: Surprise is beginning to unfold already? I can't believe that Katherine, Peter's sister, is in league with Mal'akh. Wow! Will wonder ever cease? I smell a tragedic saga brewing.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by Koonbey1: 6:45pm On Mar 05, 2013
i Loooove Novels,some hours ago i finished reading the 11th book in the sword of truth (legend of the seeker series),i have more than 11,000 ebooks on my PC,currently,im reading 'Into a dark realm' by Raymond E Feist..
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by LarrySun(m): 7:11pm On Mar 05, 2013
Koonbey1: i Loooove Novels,some hours ago i finished reading the 11th book in the sword of truth (legend of the seeker series),i have more than 11,000 ebooks on my PC,currently,im reading 'Into a dark realm' by Raymond E Feist..
Read The Lost Symbol with us.
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by Koonbey1: 6:17am On Mar 06, 2013
Larry-Sun:

Read The Lost Symbol with us.
i read it already...along with his 3 other books...but i will read it again now smiley
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by yinkalink(f): 2:42am On Mar 09, 2013
Hmmm...let's see. Wat about Robert Ludlum's hades factor,Stephen King's Green Mile,John grisham's....infact all of John Grisham's novels r worth mentioning. There's also Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane,I see someone has already mentioned Michael Connelly,books by Tess Gerritsen,Scott frost,if u're into forensics,Jeffrey Deaver nd Patricia cornwell will serve u fine,let's not forget Harry Potter.if u're into classics,Charles Dickens,Thomas Hardy,Mark Twain,Edgar allen poe,The brothers grimm,Hans Christian Anderson r d way to go,if u're a James Bond fan,just read d series by Ian fleming,I assure u,u'll hate d movies.There r veterans like Jeffrey Archer,Wilbur Smith,Enid Blyton. Truth is dere r thousands of good books out dere, I sure hope to read em all one day
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by LarrySun(m): 8:29am On Mar 09, 2013
yinkalink: Hmmm...let's see. Wat about Robert Ludlum's hades factor,Stephen King's Green Mile,John grisham's....infact all of John Grisham's novels r worth mentioning. There's also Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane,I see someone has already mentioned Michael Connelly,books by Tess Gerritsen,Scott frost,if u're into forensics,Jeffrey Deaver nd Patricia cornwell will serve u fine,let's not forget Harry Potter.if u're into classics,Charles Dickens,Thomas Hardy,Mark Twain,Edgar allen poe,The brothers grimm,Hans Christian Anderson r d way to go,if u're a James Bond fan,just read d series by Ian fleming,I assure u,u'll hate d movies.There r veterans like Jeffrey Archer,Wilbur Smith,Enid Blyton. Truth is dere r thousands of good books out dere, I sure hope to read em all one day
I have most of the authors you listed, but we have to start from somewhere. That is why we're starting from The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. If you don't have the book, then you can download it online from the link I gave. Thanks...I like avid readers.

1 Like

Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by LittleMagician(m): 11:19am On Mar 09, 2013
D-deola:
Hi there!
Are you a fan of new york times best seller novels? Do u love thriller,crime,law and other foreign novels?
And would you like to discuss these books with interesting people? Look no further cos you've just found the right place to express yourself.

Let's come together with our e-drinks,e-cookies and other e-goodies as we discuss these books chapter by chapter.

Hope to hear from you soon.Thanks.
kul bt i dnt really understand d link and hw it goes
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by yinkalink(f): 4:16am On Mar 10, 2013
Larry-Sun:

I have most of the authors you listed, but we have to start from somewhere. That is why we're starting from The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. If you don't have the book, then you can download it online from the link I gave. Thanks...I like avid readers.
[quote author=Larry-Sun]

I haven't read it,currently reading The Racketeers but I sure will download it smiley
Re: The Book Discussion Club (foreign) by ortopazz(m): 7:12pm On Jan 03, 2014
@Cap. . . Long time sire, we lost grip of the thread, I eventually finished the book . . . . Hope we could and by all means hope we get it right this time.. . Happy new year!

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Place Between Two Stools - A Short Story / The Maid Part 1 / Four Nigerians, Six Others Vie For Wole Soyinka Prize For Literature In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.