Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,765 members, 7,824,212 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

Nigeria Immigrations Service: Sack Rose Uzoma For Favouritism In EMPLOYMENT - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Immigrations Service: Sack Rose Uzoma For Favouritism In EMPLOYMENT (1055 Views)

Caught In Employment Scam - CBN Explains "Secret Recruitment" / Buhari Forego Efficiency For Favouritism / Appointments of SGF, Customs And Immigrations Bosses: Buhari’s Costly Gamble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Immigrations Service: Sack Rose Uzoma For Favouritism In EMPLOYMENT by aribisala0(m): 1:02am On Jan 18, 2013
http://odili.net/news/source/2013/jan/17/327.html

Nigeria Immigrations Service: Rose Uzoma's sack: Recruitment turns awry as fate of 4,560 employees hang in balance

News Thursday, January 17, 2013

Former Comptroller-General, Nigeria Immigration Service, Mrs. Rose Uzoma

advertisement

By SONI DANIEL, REGIONAL EDITOR, NORTH

ABUJA-The sack, on Tuesday, of the Comptroller-General of the Nigeria Immigrations Service, Rose Uzoma, by the Federal Government has dashed the hope of no fewer than 4,560 Nigerians who had been secretly offered employment by the service.

Vanguard gathered authoritatively that the Federal Government has ordered immediate cancellation of the employment letters already issued by Uzoma to the affected Nigerian applicants.

Findings revealed that most of those secretly offered employment were gearing up to assume duties when the recruitment controversy broke out, finally culminating in Uzoma's forced retirement.

A source close to the Interior Ministry in Abuja said that the Federal Government was deeply embarrassed by the controversy surrounding the recruitment and would therefore not allow what it described as 'backyard' recruitment into the service.

The source said, "I can say that the government has cancelled the recruitment exercise and will take appropriate steps to recruit in a transparent way.

"There is no way we can allow the fake employment to stand," the source explained.

When the employment row first broke out, Uzoma had tried to deny recruiting people into the service and particularly favouring certain states but she had to own up before the National Assembly that the jobs were not advertised so as to avoid recruiting bad eggs into the service.

The former Comptroller-General argued that the recruitment was meant to 'correct' the existing anomaly in the service workforce in which 12 states were at disadvantaged position as they lacked immigration officers.

Before the scandalous exercise, Imo State for instance, where Uzoma comes from, had highest number of immigration staff with (1,187) followed by Kogi (885) and Benue (851) while Ebonyi had the lowest with 233.

The North Central zone tops the list with (5,144), South-South (4,306), North-West (4,089), North-East (3,095), South-East (3,415) and South-West3, 267) out of the 21, 612 employees in the NIS.

Meanwhile, Mr. Rilwan Bala Musa, who was appointed in acting capacity to replace Uzoma, assumed duties yesterday with series of meeting with key officials in line with his new designation.

Musa was described as the most senior officer in the NIS, thereby eliminating the usual controversy that attends such appointments. Musa was promoted to the post of Deputy Comptroller General of the NIS two years ago.
Re: Nigeria Immigrations Service: Sack Rose Uzoma For Favouritism In EMPLOYMENT by aribisala0(m): 1:03am On Jan 18, 2013
In a country like Nigeria one wonders why she thought she would get away with this
Re: Nigeria Immigrations Service: Sack Rose Uzoma For Favouritism In EMPLOYMENT by Burger01(m): 3:11am On Jan 18, 2013
Back door employments of 4,560 nigerians cancelled!!! Kai, my friends own done finish. Chinedu, uzoma, Ekaette, idowuogbo, Ogogua, James....sorry o.. Make we take heart.. Naija go better..
Re: Nigeria Immigrations Service: Sack Rose Uzoma For Favouritism In EMPLOYMENT by DonaldGenes(m): 5:37am On Jan 18, 2013
aribisala0: In a country like Nigeria one wonders why she thought she would get away with this
And she almost qot away with it
Re: Nigeria Immigrations Service: Sack Rose Uzoma For Favouritism In EMPLOYMENT by aribisala0(m): 5:39am On Jan 18, 2013
No way was she going to.Every government employment is scrutinised through the ethnic prism. She was just too crude
Re: Nigeria Immigrations Service: Sack Rose Uzoma For Favouritism In EMPLOYMENT by Rhino5dm: 6:10am On Jan 18, 2013
Yeah, let those with victim mentality start crying as usual with loads of bullshit about how she was the best. Thesame woman I learnt offered patience jonathan 200 slots. pathetic.
Re: Nigeria Immigrations Service: Sack Rose Uzoma For Favouritism In EMPLOYMENT by Nobody: 7:21am On Jan 18, 2013
after much said and done,the north central zone still has the highest number of employees.back to square one! 4560 youths are going back to the labour market. Of course they will start job hunting again. too bad!
Re: Nigeria Immigrations Service: Sack Rose Uzoma For Favouritism In EMPLOYMENT by DonaldGenes(m): 7:44am On Jan 18, 2013
berem: after much said and done,the north central zone still has the highest number of employees.back to square one! 4560 youths are going back to the labour market. Of course they will start job hunting again. too bad!
I just ff you on twitter,haven't seen you for lonq
Re: Nigeria Immigrations Service: Sack Rose Uzoma For Favouritism In EMPLOYMENT by Rhino5dm: 8:06am On Jan 18, 2013
@Berem

It affected 3 people I know directly who paid heavily for each slot, but who cares? I told them the implication of buying employment and the resulting possibilities of cancellation. Let the right thing be done. We can't just be pointing fingers at the president and co when in actual sense we are nucleus that bind up the layer of corruption or even worst than those we are accusing. What audacity and morality do I have to start recruiting people from my village because am in the position of doing so? what if another person comes in to sack everybody except his "people"?

If I can condone corruption of this magnitude, don't you think it's sheer hypocrisy for me to be shouting blue murder and attacking the president? In real life, I don't see eye to eye with many because I always come out blunt on issues like this, whilst I understand people think nothing is wrong with doing such, we should endeavour to call a spade a spade. If she's doing that to correct the so called imbalance in the system, then why not make her case known and open? why then do we have people selling employment slots in an open market like chin-chin?

If they can pay almost 200K for employment into immigration, what do you think will happening around our territory?
Re: Nigeria Immigrations Service: Sack Rose Uzoma For Favouritism In EMPLOYMENT by Wendyslim(f): 8:25am On Jan 18, 2013
Hmmmmm eyahh, I pity her sha she was just trying to help in a way cry cry cry
Re: Nigeria Immigrations Service: Sack Rose Uzoma For Favouritism In EMPLOYMENT by Nobody: 8:28am On Jan 18, 2013
@Rhino , am not in anyway in support of favouritsm in employment. people should be employed based on merit. favouritsm didn't start today. even in private sector of the economy, it is there. in banks, oil companies, and so on.my anger is why wait at the last minute even when it is obvious that there would be favouritsm especially when we know it's a government agency? the hope of 4560 youths to become employed have been dashed. this is sheer wickedness.
Re: Nigeria Immigrations Service: Sack Rose Uzoma For Favouritism In EMPLOYMENT by Rhino5dm: 8:48am On Jan 18, 2013
berem: @Rhino , am not in anyway in support of favouritsm in employment. people should be employed based on merit. favouritsm didn't start today. even in private sector of the economy, it is there. in banks, oil companies, and so on.my anger is why wait at the last minute even when it is obvious that there would be favouritsm especially when we know it's a government agency? the hope of 4560 youths to become employed have been dashed. this is sheer wickedness.

What hope are we talking about here? That 4560 youths were victims of corruption or corrupt system? Well, I beg to differ cos this example is a pointer to the new boss incase he intends walking along her path of shame.

By the way, did you missed the part in article that said the recruitment process will be start afresh? Let due process be followed. shi ke nan.

The source said, "I can say that the government has cancelled the
recruitment exercise and will take appropriate steps to recruit in a
transparent way
Re: Nigeria Immigrations Service: Sack Rose Uzoma For Favouritism In EMPLOYMENT by Nobody: 9:47am On Jan 18, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

What hope are we talking about here? That 4560 youths were victims of corruption or corrupt system? Well, I beg to differ cos this example is a pointer to the new boss incase he intends walking along her path of shame.

By the way, did you missed the part in article that said the recruitment process will be start afresh? Let due process be followed. shi ke nan.

Oh ! alright since it's gonna start afresh, no problem. I just hope people will be employed based on merit.
Re: Nigeria Immigrations Service: Sack Rose Uzoma For Favouritism In EMPLOYMENT by slimming: 11:30am On Jan 18, 2013
It is a common thing in all govt recruitment.

(1) (Reply)

Senate Gives Jonathan Two Days To Sack Maina / Pro-Amaechi Govs Threaten Jonathan With Mass Defection / Another Nigerian Killedon The Streets Of Malaysia By Indians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.