Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

The Mysterious Stone Of Destiny - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Mysterious Stone Of Destiny (1549 Views)

Discovery Of The Week>The Mysterious Skeleton Lake / Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers / Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Mysterious Stone Of Destiny by Iyaniwura123: 4:34am On Jan 18, 2013
The story of the Stone of Destiny sounds like a scene right out of Merlin. Only that this is real and not just a figment of one's imagination. Lying in the United Kingdom is one of the most mysterious and intriguing stones on earth.

Also called Jacob's Pillar, Tanist Stone, Lia Fail (in Gaelic it means 'the Speaking Stone' as it was said to mention who would be king) and the Stone of Scone, it has a long history. Many wars have been fought over it, people have killed for it and kings and queens have been crowned upon it. Up till this day, the kings and queens of the United Kingdom are crowned upon it. For every king and queen of the United Kingdom to sit on this stone shows how important and how mysterious it is.

Legend has it that this stone was once used as a pillow by the Prophet Jacob (or Yakub) and while he was sleeping on it, he had dreams of the ladder in which he saw angels ascending to and descending from heaven. The stone was then declared holy and has been so ever since.

From the Holy Land, the Stone of Destiny travelled to Egypt, to Sicily in Italy, Spain and then reached Ireland where it was placed upon the hills of Tara where all Scottish kings of the old were crowned. In 1292, the stone was moved by King Edward I of England to London and taken to the Westminster Abbey where it was fixed under a special chair called the Coronation Chair on which kings and queens would be crowned.

In short, for over 700 years now, kings and queens in England were coronated with this stone which is also considered to be the holiest relic of Scotland. In 1996, it was returned to Scotland where it now lies at the Edinburgh Castle and it is to be returned to England whenever a new king or queen is to be coronated. The only design on it is a Latin cross. The Stone of Destiny is one mystery indeed. 

Please like Iyaniwura on Facebook and see more on the Stone of Destiny: https://www.facebook.com/iyaniwurablog

Re: The Mysterious Stone Of Destiny by kaffy4tope(m): 5:24am On Jan 18, 2013
Hilarious, if it makes d first page, den let it be known am d first to?

1 Like

Re: The Mysterious Stone Of Destiny by ifyalways(f): 2:59pm On Jan 18, 2013
You failed to tell us what makes this stone special/mysterious?

As far as I know, my grandmothers grinding stone is more valued ;it makes the best pepper and tomato paste in nanoseconds kiss

1 Like

Re: The Mysterious Stone Of Destiny by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:07pm On Jan 18, 2013
In the Pagan days, it is said that the Celtic Kings of Dal Riada were crowned on it.

1 Like

Re: The Mysterious Stone Of Destiny by anonymous6(f): 11:38pm On Jan 18, 2013
ifyalways: You failed to tell us what makes this stone special/mysterious?

As far as I know, my grandmothers grinding stone is more valued ;it makes the best pepper and tomato paste in nanoseconds kiss

LOL grin

(1) (Reply)

Strange Wedding Culture Where You Kidnap And Marry / The Osogbo War Of 1840 / Am I The Only One Who Dislikes Alaga Iduros (Yoruba Traditional Wedding Hosts)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.