Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,110 members, 7,818,313 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:27 PM

Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya (14209 Views)

Obama Meets His Extended Family Including Step Grandmother In Kenya / Obama Meets His Half-Sister, Auma In Kenya Today (Photos) / Massacre Of 147 people In Kenya: Face Behind The Attack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by imeller: 8:11am On Jan 18, 2013
President Barack Obama's Kenyan half-brother has launched his own political career by announcing his intention to run for a Kenyan county gubernatorial seat in the upcoming March 4 elections.

Malik Obama, 54, who shares a father with the US president, said in an interview late on Wednesday that the achievements of his brother have "inspired and challenged" him to get into active politics in his homeland.

"When I look at the success that my brother has had in the US, I feel I would have let down my people if I do not follow in his footsteps and end their suffering through dedicated, honest and focused leadership," Malik said in his ancestral home of Kogelo in western Kenya.

The trained economist said he is the right candidate to deal with the "endless cycle of poverty and unemployment that bedevils my people". "I can confidently say that of all the people who are vying for the position, I am the best placed candidate ... by virtue of my second name alone, I have the connections to bring development to Siaya," he said, referring to his home county 100 km from the lakeside city of Kisumu.

Although he says he is charting his own path, Malik Obama is using his now famous second name to try and get an edge over his competitors, who include the younger brother of Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga.

In a country polarized by dominant political parties, Malik Obama is running as an independent.

He said his links to Washington will help him clinch the seat. "Why would my people settle for a local connection when they have a direct line to the White House," he said as he weaved his way through a group of supporters, the slogan "Obama here, Obama there" looming on posters.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/rest-of-world/Obamas-half-brother-eyes-Kenya-political-role/articleshow/18069522.cms

2 Likes

Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by Nobody: 8:34am On Jan 18, 2013
Sharp Badt Guy?
Opportunist?
Realist?
Lucky?

3 Likes

Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by chymystique(f): 8:57am On Jan 18, 2013
........ Somebody Shld Pls WaKE that Man Up From His Dreamz! undecided

Lmao! Half Brothers Indeed! lipsrsealed undecided

3 Likes

Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by imeller: 9:29am On Jan 18, 2013
He is an Opportunist, wielding his Pic with Pres. Obama to attract Voters.

1 Like

Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by kodewrita(m): 10:59am On Jan 18, 2013
As long as it works.

2 Likes

Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by Nobody: 11:06am On Jan 18, 2013
He looks like Obama very much
Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by slimming: 11:22am On Jan 18, 2013
He can start from there.
Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by vanstanzy(m): 2:52pm On Jan 18, 2013
He will win whether he knows what he's doing or not. grin grin grin
Sentiment will get him in there not achievements.

2 Likes

Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by Freiburger(m): 2:54pm On Jan 18, 2013
Trash, he should understand that it is not the name Obama the people loved, it is Barrack's personality.

3 Likes

Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by vanstanzy(m): 2:57pm On Jan 18, 2013
i.meller:
President Barack Obama's Kenyan half-brother has launched his own political career by announcing his intention to run for a Kenyan county gubernatorial seat in the upcoming March 4 elections.

Malik Obama, 54, who shares a father with the US president, said in an interview late on Wednesday that the achievements of his brother have "inspired and challenged" him to get into active politics in his homeland.

"When I look at the success that my brother has had in the US, I feel I would have let down my people if I do not follow in his footsteps and end their suffering through dedicated, honest and focused leadership," Malik said in his ancestral home of Kogelo in western Kenya.

The trained economist said he is the right candidate to deal with the "endless cycle of poverty and unemployment that bedevils my people". "I can confidently say that of all the people who are vying for the position, I am the best placed candidate ... by virtue of my second name alone, I have the connections to bring development to Siaya," he said, referring to his home county 100 km from the lakeside city of Kisumu.

Although he says he is charting his own path, Malik Obama is using his now famous second name to try and get an edge over his competitors, who include the younger brother of Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga.

In a country polarized by dominant political parties, Malik Obama is running as an independent.

He said his links to Washington will help him clinch the seat. "Why would my people settle for a local connection when they have a direct line to the White House," he said as he weaved his way through a group of supporters, the slogan "Obama here, Obama there" looming on posters.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/rest-of-world/Obamas-half-brother-eyes-Kenya-political-role/articleshow/18069522.cms

With the bolded above, he is now sounding like a fv*cking Hero. grin grin grin grin grin Well only time will tell! wink wink
The US constitution is whats making the US the success it is, not Barack Obama, he should know that. All the same, I WISH HIM LUCK!

2 Likes

Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by Dreyl(m): 2:58pm On Jan 18, 2013
Am sure he gonna win
Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by solomon111(m): 3:00pm On Jan 18, 2013
Lol.
Sharp guy.

1 Like

Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 18, 2013
We Africans are so foolish, i'm sure he will get an automatic ticket to the elections based on his brothers political pedigree.
Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by vanstanzy(m): 3:02pm On Jan 18, 2013
J12: He looks like Obama very much

U mean he looks like his father, Obama or he looks like Barack Obama?

2 Likes

Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by dasparrow: 3:02pm On Jan 18, 2013
@Post

I wish him all the best in his political ambition.
Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by konami001: 3:04pm On Jan 18, 2013
Obama here, Obama there....

This guy will win easily..

1 Like

Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by Navalsadiq(m): 3:05pm On Jan 18, 2013
chymystique: ........ Somebody Shld Pls WaKE that Man Up From His Dreamz!u be mumu undecided

Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by uchechuwku: 3:06pm On Jan 18, 2013
i just discovered my Ancestral name is Obasanjo
i want to contest for a political post in Ogun state.
i'll have to change my first name tho...

üchechwuku Obasanjo

5 Likes

Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 18, 2013
He will definitely win.
Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jan 18, 2013
*laughs in English* this man be sharp guy. but, does he actually think Obama will help him very much if he isn't an illuminati member ? *just asking*
Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by Navalsadiq(m): 3:07pm On Jan 18, 2013
chymystique: ........ Somebody Shld Pls WaKE that Man Up From His Dreamz! undecided

u be mumu
Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by Gudiza(m): 3:09pm On Jan 18, 2013
LOL. Is that Barack in that pix he's holding?

C.O.O.L
Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jan 18, 2013
uchechuwku: i just discovered my Ancestral name is Obasanjo
i want to contest for a political post in Ogun state.
i'll have to change my first name tho...

üchechwuku Obasanjo
lolz you n gbenga obasanjo go fight o
Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by ichommy(m): 3:18pm On Jan 18, 2013
Shap Guy
Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by Ibrahimolaitan(m): 3:23pm On Jan 18, 2013
well only GOD plan will come to real.
Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by Dygeasy(m): 3:23pm On Jan 18, 2013
maxwello.yg:
*laughs in English* this man be sharp guy. but, does he actually think Obama will help him very much if he isn't an illuminati member ? *just asking*
*laughs in tongue* you are a dumb guy. Do you really think you can talk about any world known successful celebrity without associating them with illuminati? Just asking.

You keep talking about illuminati, dem dey advertise for yóur radio??

1 Like

Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by speaktome(m): 3:25pm On Jan 18, 2013
Chai! Dat reminds me oooo I 4got say I b Clinton's half son...infact 2015 I go b Nigerian's Senate President maka Chi[b][/b]
Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by mrman2(m): 3:25pm On Jan 18, 2013
Success has many friends, but failure has none.a friend of mine who shares the same name with abdulmutalab now prefers to be called talab but I prefer calling him bomber man. grin

2 Likes

Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by Ayorh4you(m): 3:27pm On Jan 18, 2013
i.meller:

⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥Ơ̴̴̴͡k⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥
Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by TableLeg(m): 3:29pm On Jan 18, 2013
undecided
Re: Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jan 18, 2013
J12: He looks like Obama very much
lool. D charcoal version of obama

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Montana Becomes First US State To Ban Tiktok; Law Likely To Be Challenged / France issues Maximum Security Alert Amid Imminent (terrorist) attack / Donald Trump Freaks Out On Twitter After Obama Wins Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.