Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,809 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

What Food Do You eat On Sundays When You Were Growing Up? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Food Do You eat On Sundays When You Were Growing Up? (1234 Views)

10 Funny Moment As A Growing Up Kid (TBT) / Did This Happen In Your Family While Growing Up? (Photo) / Who Decides What Food To Eat In Your Family? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Food Do You eat On Sundays When You Were Growing Up? by Tundeiab(m): 9:59am On Jan 20, 2013
I am in my early 30's. When I was still much younger, I do look forward to Sundays because that's the only day we eat rice. I am curious to know how often you ate rice. Don't kill the fun.
Re: What Food Do You eat On Sundays When You Were Growing Up? by zayhal(f): 10:06am On Jan 20, 2013
Used to look forward to Sundays too. Sunday morning was always yam and egg with sardines or corned beef. Afternoon was jollof rice and chicken. We ate rice minimum of 4 times in a week but jollof rice was specially for Sundays.
Re: What Food Do You eat On Sundays When You Were Growing Up? by Gambrosia: 11:05am On Jan 20, 2013
My mama and her cooking madness! AFTER CHURCH! angry
Definitely Jollof rice and chicken. . . SHE MUST FRY CHIN-CHIN AND BAKE CAKE!
FANTA AND COKE!!!!

*not knowing we were sewing the genetic seeds of diabetes and hypertension* muheheheheheheh

I miss those days sha!!!! So much love and 'tradition'! grin
Re: What Food Do You eat On Sundays When You Were Growing Up? by aaliyaSA(f): 12:53pm On Jan 20, 2013
grin...bringing back memories. While growin up sunday's always meant a huge lunch which meant rice wit a main meal consisting of meat/fish/chicken n potatoes as well as roast (chicken, leg of lamb n veg. Desert late sunday afternoon grin grin. Sunday mornings were spent cooking. For us however rice was generally eaten fr supper practically every day. Nw tht I live on my own I do not do any of tht....I cook what I want when I feel like it...so if I feel for a "sunday" meal in the week...then that is what I have...sundays can even be sandwiches...no set meals...all depends on my mood n what I or kids feel like eating. wink
Re: What Food Do You eat On Sundays When You Were Growing Up? by azpekuliar: 1:07pm On Jan 20, 2013
Then, Akara and Ogi. Not exactly a meal to be looking forward to on a Sunday morning. undecided

But I share some of the sentiments here about rice. Back in the 80's & 90's rice was a 'luxury' meal ooo. Matter of fact you could tell how well off a family was by the number of times they ate rice in a week! grin
Partaking in the stress of picking the stones from the rice (gosh! how I hated it angry ) was soon forgotten as soon as you were served and ready to eat.

Good 'ol days when the almighty GARRI (in whatever form eba, fufu etc) was our most staple meal.
Re: What Food Do You eat On Sundays When You Were Growing Up? by Gambrosia: 3:45pm On Jan 20, 2013
I still dunno why we fought to eat these? undecided

[img]http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4971537143105682&pid=1.7&w=175&h=139&c=7&rs=1[/img]

[img]http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4728566585165389&pid=1.7&w=144&h=148&c=7&rs=1[/img]

OR TURKEY AZZZES! FULL OF FAT!!!! WITHOUT THE SHYTE OF COURSE!!!

TUFIAAAAAAAAAKWA!!!! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: What Food Do You eat On Sundays When You Were Growing Up? by Gambrosia: 3:51pm On Jan 20, 2013
Soft drinks in 'glass bottles'? grin

RECYCLEABLE ONLY IN PLACES LIKE NIGERIA WITH CO-/C/K-ROACHES HIDING WITHIN! Twa!!! cry

Re: What Food Do You eat On Sundays When You Were Growing Up? by baby124: 3:59pm On Jan 20, 2013
Honestly it is out of sheer lazineSs and lack of time that people eat so much rice these days. Its a sharp sharp meal. Sundays used to be a big feast. My mum will cook and put everything in coolers. After church we are off to bar beach. grin. Sunday breakfast was a kings meal. By night time we probably eat suya from the beach and fall asleep in the car from sheer exhaustion after swimming and running wild on the beach. See my parents transporting the little ones to wash off while sleeping and then to bed. After the suya, I never remember anything else, just wake up the next morning in my bed.
Re: What Food Do You eat On Sundays When You Were Growing Up? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jan 20, 2013
Definitely Yam and egg with sardine/corned beef( what I make here too grin)..... Afternoon is amala and assorted soup gbogbo e .... supper is jollof/my sister fried rice she fumbles her recipe's the best smh undecided with fresh chicken my brother always mix up the prayer he's supposed to recite before killing the poor thing ( ile kewu truant) grin

I repeat same routine now cos we( me& hubby) share the same Sunday memories. kiss
Re: What Food Do You eat On Sundays When You Were Growing Up? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jan 20, 2013
We eat from my neighbour's house,we go do like say we go play with dem pikin,we no go go till we eat morning,afternoon,and nite food there. So tay,my neighbour always D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ cook our own join.
Re: What Food Do You eat On Sundays When You Were Growing Up? by slimyem: 9:24pm On Jan 20, 2013
We had no particular sunday meal in my house.
We ate as the sprit ledcheesy
The only thing peculiar to sunday was the deworming tablets my mum made us take.We used to call them Sunday-Sunday medicine.undecided

(1) (Reply)

Is It Ever Possible?? / Want A Long, Happy Marriage? Then This Advice Is For You![pic] / House Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.