Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,987 members, 7,817,908 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? (16329 Views)

Policeman Spotted At The Back Of Danfo In Lagos / Policeman Orders Woman To Bare Her Breast In Public Or Be Arrested (photos) / What Stops You From Doing It Even When You Have The Opportunity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Emusan(m): 1:43pm On Jan 20, 2013
A guy was beat mercilessly just because he asked the policemen for identification after they asked him to come down from his car.

Pls what are the things to say or not to say, when police says identify.
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by headtoto: 2:11pm On Jan 20, 2013
LOL. You asked a police man for identification. Was he in mufti?

2 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jan 20, 2013
^^^Are you the guy in question?

Your friend should have showed them his licence and other required papers because that was likely to be what they were asking for.
Just show them the papers and if they ask you whether "anything for the boys?", you can give them 20 naira or refuse to give them.
It depends on you and your values.

6 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by headtoto: 3:22pm On Jan 20, 2013
fellis: ^^^Are you the guy in question?

Your friend should have showed them his licence and other required papers because that was likely to be what they were asking for.
Just show them the papers and if they ask you whether "anything for the boys?", you can give them 20 naira or refuse to give them.

You dont seem to understand what the OP said.

2 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jan 20, 2013
You dont seem to understand what the OP said.

Oh?
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jan 20, 2013
fellis: ^^^Are you the guy in question?

Just show them the papers and if they ask you whether "anything for the boys?", [b]you can give them 20 naira [/b]or refuse to give them.

WHO ARE YOU GIVING N20? shocked shocked they will charge you for bribing a police officer!

3 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by headtoto: 6:04pm On Jan 20, 2013
fellis:

Oh?

He asked the policemen for identification, as in Policeman, identify yourself before I can listen to you. Read it al over again.

3 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by onatisi(m): 11:04pm On Jan 20, 2013
head_to_to:

He asked the policemen for identification, as in Policeman, identify yourself before I can listen to you. Read it al over again.

grin grin grin grin
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by 5alive(m): 11:05pm On Jan 20, 2013
beware of 419' this space is not for sale

2 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by henchamb(m): 11:06pm On Jan 20, 2013
if they stop you just show they the pictures of the police college ikeja and tell them you work for channels tv and they will free you.

10 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jan 20, 2013
5alive: beware of 419' this space is not for sale

mumu

2 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by ifihearam: 11:08pm On Jan 20, 2013
@op
Listen very carefully.....

Never argue with a police officer otherwise you go regret forever.

Never try to act " I Too Know" with them otherwise you will be delayed for nothing

Never hesitate to bribe them when accosted.

Never you run when they come after you,chill and every will be okay otherwise they turn case against you

Never mind sha....

2 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jan 20, 2013
Flagged down...
stop...
Glass down...
Expressionless face...
look into the officers eyes...
officers greets (anything for the boys)...
Reply (we go see later)...
0fficer (carry on)...

25 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by 5alive(m): 11:12pm On Jan 20, 2013
dahonestboss:

mumu
ur fada

3 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by vallycan: 11:12pm On Jan 20, 2013
Ya a big fool for nt knwin naija police identity dat's #20, u cud b kill simply for nt knwin this deir identity; in case of next tym pls take note! tongue
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Redmosquito(m): 11:13pm On Jan 20, 2013
smallmoney: Flagged down...
stop...
Glass down...
Expressionless face...
look into the officers eyes...
officers greets (anything for the boys)...
Reply (we go see later)...
0fficer (carry on)...
Ten ways to win an excursion trip to heaven!
Brought to you by MTN! Dont miss this ooooo!!
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by naijaswag1: 11:14pm On Jan 20, 2013
Normally, if a Nigerian police stops you,if they are not on uniform, they will identify themselves first. I have encountered that on several occasions. If they are on uniform, no need for identification, I think the uniform is visible enough to convey the fact that he is an officer. What I normally do is to say, good afternoon officer. I learned this from a close friend who is a police man, we attended university together. And am also a polite and patient person, that helps me to deal with them.

1 Like

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jan 20, 2013
Be humble when dealing with police officers in Nigeria and dont act arrogant and be cheerful dont speak too much of english when you know they are low ranking. .Use pigin when dealing when the low level officers.if you act in other manners you may die early.They are not trained well so if you drive off ,dont except them to aim correctly.

7 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by sagaciousblog: 11:16pm On Jan 20, 2013
vallycan: Ya a big fool for nt knwin naija police identity dat's #20, u cud b kill simply for nt knwin this deir identity; in case of next tym pls take note! tongue
PLEASE,IS THIS ONE SWAHILI OR ENGLISH?
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jan 20, 2013
olas2u: Be humble when dealing with police officers in Nigeria and dont act arrogant and be cheerful dont speak too much of english when you know they are low ranking. .Use pigin when dealing when the low level officers.if you act in other manners you may die early.They are not trained well so if you drive off ,dont except them to aim correctly.

So one will lose his/her life because of lack of proper trainning LMAO

1 Like

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Opoki(m): 11:22pm On Jan 20, 2013
When involved with a Nigerian policeman.
1. Never disobey his command even if drunk else you get yourself killed!
2. Never claim to know your right if your lawyer is not around or if there are more than 2 officers.
3 Never raise your voice too high, calmly talk and make him feel he's in charge.
4. Never rush to ask for I.D., asking for I.D. Infuriates police and they will even ask u how many times have u asked thieves of their I.D.
5. Never offer a bribe first, the police knw which language to tell you when you need to bribe.
You may add more.

5 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by tellwisdom: 11:27pm On Jan 20, 2013
Please call my name once they stop you angry angry

1 Like

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jan 20, 2013
Those niggas got no steady rememdy, it changes from person to person but don't aruge with a policeman under the sun lest accidently discharge take place.

If you get surname, just tell em who you are with an ID proof and u don become Boss.

If you don't even want to be stopped at all, get a customized plate number.

2 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Legalplayerz: 11:33pm On Jan 20, 2013
I visited Nigeria few months ago for a week, and I was stopped by police twice. I was able to deal with them easily because I acted Nigerian and tried to avoid too much English language. Just stop when they ask you to, and be polite to them. This two stop and search cost me N15k, for doing nothing.

1 Like

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by teelacruz(m): 11:33pm On Jan 20, 2013
The best thing is to act like a fool and let him be the boss even when you know you've got more sense n qualification than him. They are just bunch of frustrated maggots.

3 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Vicjustice: 11:35pm On Jan 20, 2013
n.oxide:

WHO ARE YOU GIVING N20? shocked shocked they will charge you for bribing a police officer!
Lol! But what if you give them let's say N2.000, will they also make such claim?
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by pekelepekele(m): 11:39pm On Jan 20, 2013
Show dem fifty naira and you shall be set free cheesy
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by etalker: 11:44pm On Jan 20, 2013
Simple: just tell em you are on your way to meet your brother who is an army officer....

I swear they will free you immediately.

#thankmelater

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dog Owners, Please Help. / Troops Recover And Return 218 Cows To Owners In Plateau / Trailer Driver Smashes Vehicles To Escape Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.