Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,809 members, 7,956,068 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:43 PM

Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know (23550 Views)

Some Interesting Facts We Probably Dont Know About Christmas. / Some Interesting Facts To Know About The Year 2016 / Single? Some Interesting Facts, Photos That Will Make Us Feel So Old. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by kobenol(m): 5:53pm On Jan 21, 2013
Okoro2015:
Nice Collection.

I disagree on the one that says bats are the only mammals that can fly. Where do you place flying squirell (Oghuru in Igbo Language)?

Those squirrels DO NOT FLY, rather they GLIDE...check ur dictionary to see what these words mean.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by kglamour(m): 5:58pm On Jan 21, 2013
freecocoa: You are a waste of my time, to the left abeg.
i love you too
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by lifesabeach: 6:00pm On Jan 21, 2013
HARDDON:

wow, feMALE, woMAN....negates everything a man stands for. if such lilliputian females cud be that sickness inflicting, i rest my case with d human females grin

Silly chauvinistic talk from you. Yet you cannot live without women as you easily get tired of using your soap for self servicing which is an option.
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by kglamour(m): 6:04pm On Jan 21, 2013
A typical adult human skeleton consists of 206 bones, But a baby is born with approximately 270 bones.
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by adexsimply(m): 6:07pm On Jan 21, 2013
J12: Here are some more interesting facts about bats:
• There are nearly 1,000 species of bats in the world. However, bats are basically
tropical animals and only about 40 kinds
of bats live in North America.
• Bats have been around a long time, since the age of dinosaurs. Ancient bats
resembled those living today. Except for
the most extreme desert and polar
regions, bats today live in almost every
kind of habitat worldwide.
• Bats have some amazing abilities:
Mexican free-tailed bats can fly 10,000
feet high. Townsend’s-big eared bats
can pluck insects from foliage.
Hibernating little brown bats can stop
breathing for almost an hour during
hibernation to reduce their energy needs.
Fishing bats have an echolocation
system so sophisticated they can detect a minnow’s fin as fine as a human hair.
The Honduran white bat, a colorful snow-white bat with yellow nose and
ears, cuts large leaves to make “tents” to
protect its small colonies from drenching jungle rains.
• Because they consume quantities of
“bugs” such as mosquitoes, bats are a
natural form of insect control. For
instance, one little brown bat can catch
600 mosquitoes or more an hour.
• Many garden pests can hear bats and
will avoid areas where bats are looking
for a meal.
• Desert ecosystems rely on nectar-feeding bats to pollinate giant cacti, including the organ pipe and saguaro of Arizona.
• Agricultural plants from bananas to
cashews, dates, and figs rely on bats for
pollination and seed dispersal.
• Despite bats’ many benefits including
pollination and insect control, their
populations are declining nearly
everywhere. More than half of
American bats species are considered
endangered due to disturbance of
roosting bats in caves, loss of habitat
including forested areas, and inappropriate use of pesticides.
• Loss of bats destabilizes ecosystems and can cause people to increase their use of chemicals to control insects. Excessive
use of chemicals can be harmful to
human health and harmful to wildlife.
[size=40pt]BATMAN[/size]
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by Symphony007: 6:14pm On Jan 21, 2013
Coakroaches can survive the blast of a nuclear weapon.
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by adexsimply(m): 6:30pm On Jan 21, 2013
Symphony007: Coakroaches can survive the blast of a nuclear weapon.
hmmm...u sure?
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by adexsimply(m): 6:36pm On Jan 21, 2013
though they can survive a nuclear blast,its only 2 an extent..they eventually die
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by Multcolor: 6:40pm On Jan 21, 2013
You did a great job there. It is intresting and educating too
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 21, 2013
Point of correction: cockroaches can survive the subsequent radioactive fallout dat results from a nuclear blast...
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 21, 2013
the_ripper: But I b read for schools se birds dey excrete uric acid. Pple wey sabi book, make una confirm o.
exactly, it does. Am sure of dat
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by ceejayluv(m): 6:54pm On Jan 21, 2013
Okoro2015:
Nice Collection.

I disagree on the one that says bats are the only mammals that can fly. Where do you place flying squirell (Oghuru in Igbo Language)?
flying squirrels don't "fly"- they glide
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by 40fied(m): 7:01pm On Jan 21, 2013
What of bush rat? Dem fit produce that much? If na so, na to enta d business be dat o.
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by GooseBaba: 7:05pm On Jan 21, 2013
mchenry: I read somewhere that a bird's pee is mixed with it's feaces though
Yeah... That's why they no dey shit strong shit...same with chicken... cheesy
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by vosquare: 7:24pm On Jan 21, 2013
whale is d largest mammal wit abt 9m tal nd 23m wide
it also takes it 6mnths to slip
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jan 21, 2013
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jan 21, 2013
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by GooseBaba: 7:31pm On Jan 21, 2013
Male Mosquitos are the noisy ones. While your mind is on the noise the female mosquito is getting down to sucky sucky.... smiley
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jan 21, 2013
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by gentlegg(m): 7:34pm On Jan 21, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
i know the following bolded already:

The poster is correct. Peregrine falcon only dives faster but Spine-tailed Swift flies fastest Read below
The fastest FLYING bird is the Spine-tailed Swift, an Asian bird that has been recorded as being able to fly at 106 mph. HOWEVER, the Peregrine falcon can DIVE much faster. It's reported diving after their prey at speeds of over 200 miles an hour.
Source(s):
http://www.faqkids.com/idx/5/119/article
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 21, 2013
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jan 21, 2013
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by grimadult(m): 7:51pm On Jan 21, 2013
Dis guy don watch e-tv sotey em don cram evrytin come write am herem oboy u try sha. Keep it up. grin

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jan 21, 2013
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by gentlegg(m): 7:54pm On Jan 21, 2013
apocalypse:

The kiwi is a flightless bird just like the emu , you meant to say the humming bird.
This Kiwi and Humming bird i still wonder which is truly the only bird that can fly backwards. Back in my secondary school days i picked up Bubble Gum paper(then they use to write questions, then answers inside the gum paper) and i saw the question "the only bird that can fly backwards", they answered Kiwi and since that day I've memorized Kiwi as the answer but like 2 yrs ago i saw somewhere in internet that Humming bird is the answer, i then googgled it and majority of the results are saying Humming bird while a few mentioned Kiwi, since then am still in doubt as in which one is the answer.
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by Iaz93: 8:07pm On Jan 21, 2013
₹ Adolf Hitler had only one testicle.
₹ You can't kill yourself by holding your breath.
₹ A chameleon can move its eye in two directions at the same time -weird!
₹ The middle fingernail grows faster than any other nail.
₹ A piece of paper cannot be folded into halves more than seven times
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jan 21, 2013
@topic VERY INTERESTING stuff. cheesy

Afam4eva: Interesting...

Can doctors in the house tell us why sharks are immune to any kind of sickness...is it not possible for humans to be injected with shark genes so that humans will be immune too making the cure of aids redundant.

FUQDAT! I'm sorry! grin
i'd rather take my cold medicine...you can have the shark genes!! grin grin grin
#goodluckwiththat!
Re: Interesting Facts You Would Like To Know by Heatblast(m): 8:19pm On Jan 21, 2013
A bee can see the colors green, blue and ultra-violet – but red looks like black.

^^^
Hmm.. Me thinks black and white don't actually exist, they are just different colours our own eyes can't see, just like the bee sees red as black. Just my opinion tho
wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Aside From Money, What's Most Important Thing To You / Top 10 Rivalries On Nairaland 2005-2012 / Ongoing Work At Berger Bus Stop Bridge (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.