Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,647 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso (19142 Views)

Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Egypt / Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Swaziland / Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso - AFCON 2013 Final (1 - 0) - On 10th February 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by Nobody: 8:30am On Jan 22, 2013
All what I can say is super eagle doesn't have a captain @ all. Yobo does not have what it takes to be a captain.
He was just made captain based on duration of service not the leadership quality.
I can't see the team going far in this tournament @ all.

1 Like

Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by OmerianConsult: 8:33am On Jan 22, 2013
Ur personal opinion
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by Nobody: 8:33am On Jan 22, 2013
Ocean7pictures:
Ahmed musa is one of d best youngster in d world, he's been nominated for world young best player twice in his carrier. Foreign coach is d wot we need. We've have dem in d past and what did we achieve? Nothing. Leave Keshi to rebuild dis team and stop running ur mouth like say u be fergie.

Keep deceiving yourself. Ahmed Musa is one of the best youngsters in the world. SMH. Dude reminds me of Arsenal's Gervinho. Only thing is that he's worse than the Ivoirian.
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by ceejay80s(m): 8:46am On Jan 22, 2013
Make We stop noise making, calculator go move market soon, becos we go start calculating our chance of winning. GOAL AGGRIGATE,HEAD TO HEAD etc
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by Nobody: 8:47am On Jan 22, 2013
walata2011: Yobo was largely anonymous in the match yesterday. As a captain a lot was expected from Yobo but it seems age is gradually catching up with him.
The coach ought to have taken off Efe Ambrose before the second yellow, i saw it coming.

Yobo has been poor for 4 or 5 years now. If Utaka, Martins, Taiwo are deemed not useful to the cause, then surely Yobo ought not to be in the team, no?

He wears the armband but is no leader. Osaze had a point demanding for the armband. Mikel was far more vocal and influential.

3 Likes

Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by AVWENAGHA: 8:58am On Jan 22, 2013
following this topic with keen intrest
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by 1k001(m): 9:00am On Jan 22, 2013
naijaobi: something baffles me.. Hw can keshi keep omeruo, a natural right back on the bench and instead played efe ambrose who is a natural centeral back... It is very annoying.. We all know that ambrose plays well for his club in that centeral back position, why play him in the right back position??

tRUE, PARTICULARLY AFTER THE CAPE VERDE GAME WHERE HE PLAYED REALLY BAD
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by Nobody: 9:12am On Jan 22, 2013
TouchDown:

Yobo has been poor for 4 or 5 years now. If Utaka, Martins, Taiwo are deemed not useful to the cause, then surely Yobo ought not to be in the team, no?

He wears the armband but is no leader. Osaze had a point demanding for the armband. Mikel was far more vocal and influential.

Yobo was only a shadow of himself yesterday.
And it happens. . .

If Osaze was the captain of yesterday's team. . .and there was a last minute equalizer. . .

Something tells you there will be approximately 2 days hot riot and tantrums in the super eagles camp. . .

The players will definitely not get along with Osaze if he got that captain band he was soooooooooooo desperate for.

I think here that enyeama would have been a better captain last night.
He knows exactly how to fire flaming motivation into the team.
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by yuzedo: 9:17am On Jan 22, 2013
Patrick Obahiagbon's comment on the match:

"What an Alabandical display! The oncethmus the Eagles is far worse than that given off by any beast"...

- Via Twitter grin grin grin
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by MrTAnonymous(m): 9:22am On Jan 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
God punish premier league quality. The needed the skills of the La Liga to beat those Burkina defenders and score. The only player who came close to doing that actually plays in the La Liga and his name is Ike Uche.
why should u compare la liga with epl,epl is much more tougher dan la liga and even dat Uche shuld pay fine 4 missing those chances.If he were to be a Premier League striker,he wouldn't have missed those chances.
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by tucute: 9:28am On Jan 22, 2013
As a matter of fact...I wished odemwingie was in this match...He would av tagged along side Uche and Emenike....and thumbs up to Emenike for the hustling spirit..He did what a very good hustling stricker would do...If it were to be Yakubu Ayegbeni, he would have fallen to the ground, yelling for a penalty there by not scoring...Never theless I beleive the Super Eagles are gonna make it to the next round....And alot of work needs to be done in our defence line up....

1 Like

Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by naijaobi(m): 9:30am On Jan 22, 2013
honeric01:

Because he's the coach and knows who's fit for his gameplan and style, you're not in the camp to know who dazzles when it comes to training. Ambrose is a good player but sometimes misbehave.
oga, am not saying ambrose is a bad player.. I said he was played out of position.. How can you use a natural centeral back at a right back position?..
Can chelsea play john terry at a right back position? Or can man united play vidic at the right back position?
Eh
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by MrTAnonymous(m): 9:38am On Jan 22, 2013
Osaze will be happy wherever he is!

2 Likes

Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by eagleeye2: 9:50am On Jan 22, 2013
Mr.T Anonymous:

Yesterdays match just proved him right. He may not have been given the captain band, but he should have been fielded.

1 Like

Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by sojihandsome: 10:08am On Jan 22, 2013
Wastefull Moment all through the Game those Eagles need prayers oh Even Nigeria in General things that is Happening is always the opposite of our president's Name Goodluck...............Lets just wish them Bad luck so that the opposite can Happen to them o ;DWastefull Moment all through the Game those Eagles need prayers oh Even Nigeria in General things that is Happening is always the opposite of our president's Name Goodluck...............Lets just wish them Bad luck so that the opposite can Happen to them o
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by pelezico: 10:12am On Jan 22, 2013
casket: All what I can say is super eagle doesn't have a captain @ all. Yobo does not have what it takes to be a captain.
He was just made captain based on duration of service not the leadership quality.
I can't see the team going far in this tournament @ all.

This is a problem in world football today - for some reason players lack confidence to take the mantle of leader on and off the pitch

Judging by the way Mikel played i would say give him the captaincy. We need two defenders and a two midfield players who like the boys of '94 do not take nonsense from know one. Buts thats only possible if you are extremely confident in your own ability.

But I saw a team yesterday playing on a bad pitch. This was not your premiership pitch but your Sunday trip to the local field type pitch.
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by pelezico: 10:15am On Jan 22, 2013
Mr.T Anonymous:

We dont need that guy at all - you do not air your grievances by talking trash over the internet. People that use the internet for trash talk are cowards indeed. He is only interested in promoting himself perhaps trying to get himself noticed before the January window closes.

Real men do not trash talk over the internet. Real men talk face to face. They do not try to solicit the ignorance and support of thier fans

Take it or leave it
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by honeric01(m): 10:24am On Jan 22, 2013
naijaobi:
oga, am not saying ambrose is a bad player.. I said he was played out of position.. How can you use a natural centeral back at a right back position?..
Can chelsea play john terry at a right back position? Or can man united play vidic at the right back position?
Eh

he plays as a rb and does well, even yobo wasn't a cb before but got converted, why not ambrose?
What's my own with terry not being used as a rb? Ramos's a rb but plays as a cb under mourinho, so what?
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by MrTAnonymous(m): 10:26am On Jan 22, 2013
pelezico:

We dont need that guy at all - you do not air your grievances by talking trash over the internet. People that use the internet for trash talk are cowards indeed. He is only interested in promoting himself perhaps trying to get himself noticed before the January window closes.

Real men do not trash talk over the internet. Real men talk face to face. They do not try to solicit the ignorance and support of thier fans

Take it or leave it
well,what ever he said is none of my business,if osaze was on d pitch yterday,d game would hav been different.
Imagine our midfielders holding possession and waiting for d attackers to get to dere position b/4 releasing d ball.Our attackers were so sluggish,no counter attacks jst long range passes coz of d sluggishness of d forwards.
Keshi's job is at stake,d NFF hav done it b/4 n dey re gonna do it again,imagine nigeria drawing burkina faso,what re dey gonna play against zambia n Ethiopia(luk at what ethiopia playd against zambia).
Keshi job is at stake,quote me afta d Afcon

2 Likes

Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by Mortiple(m): 10:30am On Jan 22, 2013
Jarus: Uche: Came in and created chances with his typical dribbles and runs. But untypically, he missed the chances. For creating chances (which were hardly forthcoming before he came on), I don't think his performance was below par 5

Omeruo: Did well when he replaced Ideye to fortify SE defence aftermath Ambrose red card. One good runs forward too 5

Onazi:[b] Late sub. Not much was seen of him. [b]4

Sunday Oliseh: Fantastic analyst on Supersports. Good knowledge of the game, good English, calmn, analytical. Highly impressive.

Oliseh is such a skilled football analyst. His patriotism is equally unflinching.
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by dammytex: 11:02am On Jan 22, 2013
My own is simple sha...

Judging from where we are coming from with the performances of the Super Eagles in the recent past, I think last night's match wasn't that bad. They looked a little bit cohesive especially the attack department. If this team is kept, with Mikel being the captain and expelling Yobo, I think they've got a better chance in the future. Echiejile must "up" his game and Moses should be interchanged with Musa while Uche gets to come on in the 2nd half. Obiora, Onazi and Ogude should fielded based on current form also.

To me sha, the team wasn't that bad. Playing together overtime would surely make them better and stronger. I even enjoyed the game sef. In the 1st half, I was impressed with the touches and style on the ball from the super eagles. Except for Ogude's roughness, their game looked clean.

Let's hope they improve against Zambia.

1 Like

Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by naijaobi(m): 11:29am On Jan 22, 2013
honeric01:

he plays as a rb and does well, even yobo wasn't a cb before but got converted, why not ambrose?
What's my own with terry not being used as a rb? Ramos's a rb but plays as a cb under mourinho, so what?
oga, u still don't get it.. A right back can easily be used as a center back but not vice versa.. Ivanovic is a right back, but he can also play the center back position very well.. You also mentioned ramos, yes he is a natural right back thats why he can play as a center back.
But av u seen a natural center back playing as a right back??
Simply put..keshi messed up in dat aspect of fielding ambrose as a right back.. This is a guy who plays week in week out as a center back in his club.. Watchout how our next match will be, cos omeruo will be deployed to right back..
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by honeric01(m): 11:59am On Jan 22, 2013
naijaobi:
oga, u still don't get it.. A right back can easily be used as a center back but not vice versa.. Ivanovic is a right back, but he can also play the center back position very well.. You also mentioned ramos, yes he is a natural right back thats why he can play as a center back.
Simply put..keshi messed up in dat aspect of fielding ambrose as a right back.. This is a guy who plays week in week out as a center back in his club.. Watchout how our next match will be, cos omeruo will be deployed to right back..

And you think Keshi does not know Ambrose plays as a CB at his club?
You think he would use ambrose as a rb while using ogboabona as a cb when omeruo can be used as a rb?
You think the coach is stupid?
You think he can't think?
People thinking they know more than those who went to coaching school because of the passion they have for this sport?

Nigerians!
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:06pm On Jan 22, 2013
Jarus:

Oboabona: Average performance up till the final minutes. He was a culprit in the goal SE conceded 4

I totally disagree with you on Oboabona being the culprit for the goal conceded. Watch the replay, he had picked his marker and was blocking the ball. Joseph Yobo was free and followed him to chase a ball Oboabona had already chased and marked a man mark Oboabona had already marked.

If Yobo had maintained his position, he would have seen and chased the ball when Oboabona had already blocked the ball.

As for me, the defense was in shambles. Yobo was poor, he speed was alright but his positional sense for an experienced player like him is unpardonable. Echiejile was useless, most of the attack from the Burkinabes came from his wing. Efe Ambrose was also terrible.

Oboabona was the only one doing most of the work in that defense. I will give him an 8 for being a true light in a dark defense.

Finally, why didn't Coach Keshi sit back and defend the goal during the last minutes of the game. What were we attacking when we were a man down. That led to the counter attack that cost us the game.

We should have all been in our 18 yard box clearing out balls, instead of attacking. That is very poor from Coach Keshi being someone who played as a last man when he was a footballer.

I am wishing the SUPER EAGLES THE BEST.

2 Likes

Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:09pm On Jan 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
God punish premier league quality. The needed the skills of the La Liga to beat those Burkina defenders and score. The only player who came close to doing that actually plays in the La Liga and his name is Ike Uche.

Ikechukwu's skills were A1 but his finishing was F9.
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by coogar: 1:20pm On Jan 22, 2013
ndidibabe: Masterclass performance by slowing the game down. Abeg lemme hear word!!

that's the job of a defensive midfielder, my dear.
what you guys see as slowing the game down is called keeping possession and controlling the game. if your opponents don't have the ball, they are powerless. mikel obi gave a world class performance - that is his best performance yet in a nigerian shirt.

the british commentators here kept lauding his maturity, incisive passes and panache throughout the game. he was by far the best player on the pitch. he does not slow the game down - he controls it! mikel is the nigerian equivalent of carrick or busquets of barcelona. you need players like that to provide balance in the team.

1 Like

Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by Afam4eva(m): 1:22pm On Jan 22, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:

Ikechukwu's skills were A1 but his finishing was F9.
That's my point. But before he came in, no other playing came close to creating the kind of chances that he created.

1 Like

Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:24pm On Jan 22, 2013
coogar:

and what came out of his idiotic move of touching the ball more than 20 times? this is how we do it in the premier league....we play direct football and it wasn't a surprise our only goal came through that route!

No doubt that the skills and brilliant moves are ahead of direct play. Coach Keshi adopted a direct pattern when he dropped creative players like Raheem Lawal and Ibrahim Rabiu and opted for direct play. So a direct finishing pattern would have clearly complemented the style of play Mikel brings to the team.

I believe we would have been better of with Odemwingie or Martins. Bright Dike would have also been very critical yesterday. It is a mystery why Coach Keshi dropped him. His goal against Catalunya comes to my mind. That was a lovely direct finish from a long ball.
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:32pm On Jan 22, 2013
coogar:

you don't understand the dynamics of football - if he had passed the ball to a better placed player then no one would blame him. that's simply a football brain as the defenders wouldn't have expected him to pass...it would have caught them by surprise!

how did we score the only goal in the game?
their defence was rubbish and they couldn't cope with those long balls......the game plan was simple but keshi took the wrong tools to perform a simple task. you need a premier league striker to work with a premier league deep lying playmaker. this is how we do it in the premier league against a stubborn defence.....

I agree with you on the defense of the Burkinabes being weak and us having a chance to win that game with a good margin. Did anyone notice how our coach switched the game in the second half, Ogunde and Nosa moved a head of Mikel in the second half and Mikel's role was changed to a defensive pattern. If Coach Keshi was scared of Ogunde picking up a red card, he should have taken him off.

Mikel receiving less of the ball in the second half, and Nosa not being penetrative enough with his passes took out Emenike and Ideye from the game. Our strikers looked less threatening without Mikel in the second half. This also put the game into the hands of the Burkinabes and their pressure cost us a card.

I hope Coach Keshi goes over the tapes and make sure those mistakes don't happen again.
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by TheViper(m): 1:41pm On Jan 22, 2013
naijaobi:
That's not true. Ivanovic is a natural central defender, it was Ancelotti that let him play right back.
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:46pm On Jan 22, 2013
CFCfan: The main issue with SE play today was that the attacking build-up was too SLOW most of the time. There were situations in which both Mikel and Nosa Igiebor could have released the ball much quicker, but they dithered. Also, the long ball tactic didn't work very well, except for our goal. In Friday's match, I want the Eagles to be a little quicker when attacking, because a slow build-ip against Zambia might backfire against us.

Still #teamSuperEagles.

That is why we criticized Coach Keshi's team selection. No Raheem Lawal, No Joel Obi etc. The only true creative midfielder is Mikel. Yes Nosa isn't that creative, he is a work rate Midfielder. So the only pattern we can play is defending deep and counter attack with a deep lying midfielder spraying the ball (Mourinho style). Our coach did not select a team that can play with different patterns.

Still praying for the best for our team super eagles.
Re: Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:56pm On Jan 22, 2013
Jarus:

Foreign coach like Lars Lagerback or like Bora?

We need a good ambitious foreign coach but when it is time to choose a foreign coach, our NFF will always employ a joker that they can control. That is the problem. Lars Lagerback never succeeded at anything throughout his years as a coach of the Under 15 - Under 21 teams of Sweden. I think failed to qualify Sweden for the World Cup but the NFF selected him to be our coach.

Also Berti Vogtz failed woefully as Coach of Scotland but he became our coach.

If we employ a good coach with sound man management and technical management skills, we will fly high again as we did with Westerhof and Bonfere Jo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tyson Fury Calls Anthony Joshua Out For A Fight To Defend His WBC Belt (video) / Desire Oparanozie's Rocket Goal Voted Goal Of The Month For February / Andrej Kramaric Confesses That He's Afraid Of Nigerian Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.