Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,892 members, 7,817,623 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off (5039 Views)

Why Does My Honda Accord 2005 Model Rev Itself Any Time I Start It. / RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model / On The 2001 Honda Passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by Ilasan: 4:57am On Jan 23, 2013
Experts in the House, please help me. My 2001 Honda Passport EX/LX, with 3.2L v6 MPI engine, suddenly goes off. The problem started about a month ago when i asked my mechanic to service the vehicle. i suddenly realised that when you are not accelerating, the vehicle can go off and on, it happens even if it is switched on and parked. My check engine light is not on and a scan detected fuel sensor, i went to different mechanics who claimed it was the fuel pump, which i have changed thrice, i have also changed the fuel filter, and all the plugs. The tank has been brought down and washed, but the problem persists. Please what do you suggest?
Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by Ilasan: 7:28am On Jan 23, 2013
help...
Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by Amaizu(m): 8:53pm On Jan 23, 2013
I happen to also use a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo aside my faithful Peugeot 406 ,the fuel sensor is a common fault in this model.Since your scan indicates fuel sensor,replace it.
If u have someone in the States,you could have him pick it up for you on e-bay.its known as fuel sending unit.
Amaizu.
Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by sultaan(m): 9:42pm On Jan 23, 2013
You answered your problem "The problem started about a month ago when i asked my mechanic to service the vehicle"

If you post pictures of the engine and gages when the car is running it might help apart from that you mechanics sure know the term job security, and creating opportunities grin grin
Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by Ilasan: 8:53am On Jan 24, 2013
@Amaizu. I would really like to know how to get the fuel sending unit. Thanks
@ Sultan. pls here are pictures of the dash and engine, while running. pls note that my fuel guage does not work for like 3 months prior to this issue, could that also be a contributing factor?

Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by Ilasan: 12:33pm On Jan 24, 2013
Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by kenny2u(m): 4:02pm On Jan 25, 2013
Check the ignition coil! Once happened to me.
Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by sultaan(m): 6:06pm On Jan 25, 2013
Right now your car is telling me there is no petrol inside it, you may want to fill that truck up first.

Your check engine light is off, and I am not familiar with any fuel sensor on cars that old.

You either have fuel pressure or not; or you either have enough air flow or not.
Although I can't see the entire engine you can remove that engine cover and take several more pics maybe we can see something that was disconnected. Every thing am looking at seems fine only you temp is cold and fuel is empty.

The only thing that can cause that is what you naija people call adjusting the slow but you will only know if you check under the cover to see if the nut on your throttle cable has been moved.

Before you do anything have the first mechanic write down everything he did we he serviced it(even the extra jobs) maybe someone will have an idea what he messed with.
Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by jaibang(m): 7:24pm On Jan 26, 2013
check the ignition sensor
Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by Amaizu(m): 6:10pm On Jan 27, 2013
Fuel tank is not empty.Fuel sending unit is defective.Ignition sensor could also be a culprit.i could do a look up for you on e-bay but you have to get someone to order it for you.
Amaizu.
Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by sultaan(m): 6:40pm On Jan 27, 2013
Here we go again, there is no such thing as ignition sensor on a car that I know of. There are only 2 things on a car that will cause that problem and may not in some models throwing a code.

Crankshaft position sensor and Camshaft position sensor

http://www.aa1car.com/library/crank_sensors.htm

I am not saying this is/not the problem, just clear the ignition sensor thing.

Best thing to do is still have the mechanics tell/write everything they/he did maybe they will remember a sensor they disconnected and not reconnect.

Whoever worked on your fuel pump should have fixed the sender unit, its just a float and the thing could have a small build up he could have cleaned

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-gauge1.htm

Each mechanic you take it to will start digging into thing without knowing what the last one did.

Why are they changing fuel pumps and never check the injector rail pressure first?

If you are not careful these mechanics will own your car at the end of the day and dash money to get okada home
Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by Ilasan: 2:53pm On Jan 28, 2013
Thanks for the attention Amaizu and Sultan. I have asked the mechanic what he did then and he said he did the servicing and he replaced 2 nozzles as well as the airflow meter. I have called for the replaced airflow meter which I returned, but the problem is still there. Still very confused as each mechanic have different thing to say. Some say it is electrical, another said it’s the ignition sensor and still another said a faulty gearbox or injector might be responsible. @Sultan, the car does not have an adjustable slow. The fuel guage does not work even before now. So at the time the pictures were taken it has a full tank.
Please enlighten me more on how I can get either the Crankshaft position sensor and Camshaft position sensor replaced. It is interesting to note that I did another scan 2days ago and it brought no result, the check engine light has never been up. I am scared of asking any mechanic touch it for fear of adding more problems to it. At the moment it drives well and if I am on speed with nothing to slow me down, I can drive as long as possible without problems. But the moment I slow down, it may just go off and start immediately. Please here are a few more pictures taken at different angles at a closer range.

Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by Ilasan: 2:54pm On Jan 28, 2013
more pictures

Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by Ilasan: 2:55pm On Jan 28, 2013
and please note that in the first picture, the temp is cold, cos i just started it that morning and it has not warmed up when the pic was taken
Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by Ilasan: 5:52pm On Jan 29, 2013
Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by Ilasan: 9:47pm On Jan 29, 2013
still waiting
Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by Amaizu(m): 11:03pm On Jan 29, 2013
Usually on these models,a faulty fuel sending unit should turn on your CEL light.Fuel sending unit for 01 Passport or Rodeo is around $29-$35 on e-bay.it should sort out the fuel level readings.
Considering a lot of things,i'll search for info on ignition sensor.
Amaizu.
Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by Ilasan: 5:41am On Jan 30, 2013
thanks man
Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by sultaan(m): 6:38am On Jan 30, 2013
You just solved your problem when you said he serviced the "injector".

Seems some of us who know a little about cars just discovered Nigerian mechanics call the throttle body the "injector" so our advice has been off once on some issues.

When you mechanic went digging around the throttle body he either did not reconnect on of the hoses properly or even left it disconnected, or damaged/cracked. or the air sensor he messed with could also be a factor.

The fix is to take it back to him since he knows exactly everything he touched(if he took out the throttle body when he cleaned it he could have forgotten to re-install the gasket or it might have disintegrated)

One of your vacuum hoses in first pic should connect to the throttle body under that cover in 2nd pic. It could also be a disconnected sensor on the throtle body like the IAC idle air control TPS throttle position sensor(if the car uses them) the MAF is on the air duct

Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by Ilasan: 7:09am On Jan 31, 2013
@Sultan. Thanks will check that out
Re: RESOLVED AT LAST - Help! My Honda Passport Switches Off by Ilasan: 8:00am On Mar 21, 2013
I want to express my sincere thanks to all especially Sultaan, Amaizu and others who contributed by way of comments towards the eventual resolution of my Honda passport issue. It has been a terrible 4-month experience, The issue was finally resolved on Monday, when I was referred to a mechanic in Ladipo market in Lagos. He unscrewed the throttle and took it for ‘programming’, he returned it 20mins later and fixed it and zoom, the car came back to life. I have not had a single issue with it since Monday, the car drives very well and run well. I also cannot explain what the so-called programming entails. For those who may have such experience, you can contact him at Ladipo, he deals mainly on Isuzu and Honda passport jeeps. His name is Paul and his number is 08023894987. Pls note that I am not fronting for him, he just did a good job for me that many others could not.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. / Car Battery Voltage / Alternator Monitor ((2K ONLY) / Affordable Car For Low Income Earners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.