Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,380 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:30 AM

RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model (18470 Views)

Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments / Honda Crv 2002 Or Camry 2000 / Transmission Issues In The 2006 Nissan Maxima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by eleven(m): 12:19am On Feb 10, 2013
I was informed by my mechanic today that I need to change my transmission after changing the oil and servicing the gear switch without results.

My observations:

1. The oil drained out of the transmission was black though it was last serviced in December and last week when the problem occurred. (Had to change the oil again before managing it home...first oil drained from December service was also black...it was fine when I left the house)

2. The RPM goes up instead of coming down when put in gear but stays on 1 when in Neutral or Park

3. My last ride was hellish the speed was not proportional to my acceleration...Had to manage it home
at 40km/hour

4. The D light flashes continouosly

5. Car is CRV 2002 model

6. Drive gear moves but I need to apply so much force for it to move, doing so raises the RPM so high while the speed is very slow (Observed this on my last ride while managing it home)

7. Reverse gear doesn't move at all...keeps reving no movement

Please I just want to be sure before taking a decision. Thank you
Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by eleven(m): 1:43am On Feb 10, 2013
smajeedmc:

You Need to Change the Gear Box if you Want We can send Gear Box from Dubai if intrestes please send us email pehlatv@yahoo.com or Call +971566938359

How much is your gear box only? And how much is the complete engine with the gear? How long would it take to arrive Lagos plus port clearance?
Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by eleven(m): 3:26pm On Feb 10, 2013
This afternoon...I thought taking pictures showing the high RPM while in gear to post here.

Surprisingly the gear loaded normally with the RPM coming down like it normally does but the car didn't move. It didn't move in Reverse and also in Drive gears, just as if its still in Neutral or Park position. I tried it several times and the RPM didn't go up again in gear like yesterday
Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by eleven(m): 6:26pm On Feb 10, 2013
Ran a scan on the car this afternoon and came up with 4 errors with remarks:

Error 1...PO758 - Shift Soleniod B Circuit electrical

Error 2...P1078 - Manufacturer Control Fuel and Air metering Auxiliary emissions control

Error 3...P1166 - Manufacturer Control Fuel Air metering

Error 4...P1167 - Manufacturer Control Fuel Air metering

Please appreciate layman explanations to these error codes. Thanks
Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by sultaan(m): 6:46pm On Feb 10, 2013
You have answered your question you just hope someone will come up with a different solution.

Your transmission fluid should not turn black before you change it, so your fluid degraded till it wore off your clutch pack(those black things in the fluid).

When you kept referring transmission fluid as oil, I hope your mechanic is not adding gear oil with will make your clutch slip like you're experiencing now. If he added gear oil you can try a couple of flush and fill with appropriate fluid(remember Honda uses a special/specific fluid).

Which ever way you will need a new transmission/rebuild soon.
Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:12pm On Feb 10, 2013
Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by eleven(m): 10:03pm On Feb 10, 2013
sultaan: You have answered your question you just hope someone will come up with a different solution.

Your transmission fluid should not turn black before you change it, so your fluid degraded till it wore off your clutch pack(those black things in the fluid).

When you kept referring transmission fluid as oil, I hope your mechanic is not adding gear oil with will make your clutch slip like you're experiencing now. If he added gear oil you can try a couple of flush and fill with appropriate fluid(remember Honda uses a special/specific fluid).

Which ever way you will need a new transmission/rebuild soon.

I always check my engine and gear fluid level atleast once in every 3 days.

A day before the incident happened I check the fluid and it was ok. My mechanic used AP Visco 2000 to service the transmission in December. Even when the incident occur and I immediately drain the black oil out, the one I put to manage the car home for repairs also turned black in a less than 30 minutes journey. Since then the gear refused to move.

I wish I understood the technical terms used for the codes Naija style...
Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by eleven(m): 10:05pm On Feb 10, 2013
ZIM DRILL: http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/skyvisions/2008-11-16_152536_00_camry.pdf

Thank you very much for this. Yet to fully comprehend it...Guess I will rest my head a bit and reread it. Thank you sir.
Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by sultaan(m): 3:59am On Feb 11, 2013
eleven:

I always check my engine and gear fluid level atleast once in every 3 days.

A day before the incident happened I check the fluid and it was ok. My mechanic used AP Visco 2000 to service the transmission in December. Even when the incident occur and I immediately drain the black oil out, the one I put to manage the car home for repairs also turned black in a less than 30 minutes journey. Since then the gear refused to move.

I wish I understood the technical terms used for the codes Naija style...

Like I said you just solved your problem your mechanic added motor oil to your transmission fluid

1 Like

Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by eleven(m): 9:18am On Feb 11, 2013
sultaan:

Like I said you just solved your problem your mechanic added motor oil to your transmission fluid

Thanks Sultaan for your time. The mechanic have been using same fluid or oil for more than 2 years. I service the gear like twice a year
Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by ozoneamani: 3:42am On Feb 13, 2013
eleven:

Thanks Sultaan for your time. The mechanic have been using same fluid or oil for more than 2 years. I service the gear like twice a year
This means that your mechanic just messed up your tranny(transmission gears). He has been using the wrong oil for the servicing.AP Visco 2000 is for servicing the engine and not for the tranny.

1 Like

Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by sooperrescue(m): 9:39am On Feb 13, 2013
yes, you have ruined the transmission. Get a new one and buy ATFZ1 fluid. That is what all Honda Cars uses until they changed it to DW 1. Dont ever give your car to a mechanic that does not have a scanner to read the fault codes in the car. And you are supposed to service the gear every year or 15000 miles whichever comes first

3 Likes

Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by eleven(m): 7:04pm On Mar 17, 2013
Contary to what everyone thinks, the scanner was right. Tranny is still very ok. The fault was a shift solenoid B switch that went bad.

Solenoid has been replaced at a cost of 20k and car is alright now.

For those who find themselves in similar situation, my advise is please scan the car first, if its an electric circuit issue, do not change the transmission.

Tha guy who fixed mine is very good with transmission and I would like to recommend him here, his name is Sunday and his mobile number is 08023696673.

He is a professional, did my repairs exactly the way I read about it on the internet. Believe me I did extensive research on the issue.

Issue has nothing to do AP Visco 2000 oil.

Please do not change your transmission until you have it scanned. Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by sooperrescue(m): 7:29am On Mar 18, 2013
And you still used super visco 2000?

1 Like

Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by cretin: 11:46am On Mar 18, 2013
pls pls pls..stop using that visco 2000, my mechanic almost ruined my car...back then he wanted to use visco 2000, when i asked him...his answer was NA SO WE DEY AM, if not that am educated and enlightened..i wud hv allowed him...i stood my ground and insisted on using toyota atf.
pls note: transmission fluid is recommended to be changed every 30k to 50k miles...though some car manufactureres claim theirs are lifetime fluids..i dont believe it.

so ur changing ur transmission fluid 2 times a yr is simply outragoeus..unless u r in the transport biz...there is no way u wud be doing upto 40k miles in 1yr..2yrs or even 3yrs...

3 Likes

Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by eleven(m): 3:02pm On Mar 18, 2013
sooper rescue: And you still used super visco 2000?

No...changed to dextron 3 pending when I receive the honda ATF-Z1 oil ordered for.

I mentioned the oil part so people in my previous position do not get scared condemning their transmission because of the type of oil used.

Scan first to know the exact problem before deciding to change the entire transmission or not.
Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by eleven(m): 3:07pm On Mar 18, 2013
cretin: pls pls pls..stop using that visco 2000, my mechanic almost ruined my car...back then he wanted to use visco 2000, when i asked him...his answer was NA SO WE DEY AM, if not that am educated and enlightened..i wud hv allowed him...i stood my ground and insisted on using toyota atf.
pls note: transmission fluid is recommended to be changed every 30k to 50k miles...though some car manufactureres claim theirs are lifetime fluids..i dont believe it.

so ur changing ur transmission fluid 2 times a yr is simply outragoeus..unless u r in the transport biz...there is no way u wud be doing upto 40k miles in 1yr..2yrs or even 3yrs...

Thanks for your advise. You are very correct of the periods to change ATF. 40k miles or 4years by my car repair manual. Thank GOD for this incident...it has taught me so much about cars...LOL

1 Like

Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by hardywaltz(m): 11:25pm On Mar 18, 2013
eleven: Contary to what everyone thinks, the scanner was right. Tranny is still very ok. The fault was a shift solenoid B switch that went bad.

For those who find themselves in similar situation, my advise is please scan the car first, if its an electric circuit issue, do not change the transmission.

Tha guy who fixed mine is very good with transmission and I would like to recommend him here, his name is Sunday and his mobile number is 08023696673.

He is a professional, did my repairs exactly the way I read about it on the internet. Believe me I did extensive research on the issue.

Issue has nothing to do AP Visco 2000 oil.

My Honda Accord 2003 model starting acting up on my way to PH from Owerri, the journey was a nite mare, coz the gear kept jumping out of gear @ high speed, @ a point it even refused to move no matter how much i revere the car.
When i got home i scanned it with my OBD scanner and got Error P0776 - Pressure Control Solenoid "B" Performance or Stuck Off; i check it out on the Honda Accord forum (which i'm a member) but got no real answered to it. I also carried out research and every one who had that problem in the past changed their transmission, however i took it to my mechanic and had the AFT changed and the solenoid serviced, but the car remain the same. My mechanic advised i change the transmission, when i got home i scanned it again and got (P0751 Shift Solenoid A Performance or Stuck Off) however a friend also advised that i change the solenoid 1st and see if the problem is solved.
since urs stopped after u changed the solenoid i will try changing the solenoid and see if it works.
Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by sooperrescue(m): 8:46pm On Mar 19, 2013
Anyone that loves his car and not willing to have issues with his auto transmission should change their transmission every year and not four years. I change my transmission oil on my Range Rover Sports every 15000 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. Our peculiar weather does not support that luxury. As for the Honda CRV, Dexron 3 will work fine but temporarily. For the Honda Accord, when was the last time you flushed the ATF? The ATF acts as a coolant to the transmission gear and if it cannot hold the temperature of the gear below 100 degrees, then it starts to slip. Change the transmission once it turns black or has a burnt smell.

3 Likes

Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by chimauga(m): 6:31am On Apr 30, 2017
Pls I have changed my 2003 gearbox 3 times in four yrs.and I am still having issue with it jumping into 4th gear. Pls I need help for solution
Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by honmusa(m): 6:37am On Apr 30, 2017
chimauga:
Pls I have changed my 2003 gearbox 3 times in four yrs.and I am still having issue with it jumping into 4th gear. Pls I need help for solution
If I were you ,i would open a fresh topic and give detail description of the issue.
Unless you are dealing with babalawos that can read your mind!!

1 Like

Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by DECOtech(m): 3:20pm On Apr 30, 2017
chimauga:

What kind of oil have you been using? the problem might just be sofware relateded.
Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by Alore: 4:25pm On Feb 23, 2018
eleven:
Contary to what everyone thinks, the scanner was right. Tranny is still very ok. The fault was a shift solenoid B switch that went bad.

For those who find themselves in similar situation, my advise is please scan the car first, if its an electric circuit issue, do not change the transmission...

This is very crucial. I followed your advice just this morning. The gear was not shifting anymore. It is as if it was stuck in Gear 2 or 3. It doesn't take off sharply and does not change to higher gear when you speed up. The mechanic was already thinking of dropping the gear - a work that will be a whole day or even 2 days. I googled and found this thread. I asked my mechanic to get my Honda CRV 2001 scanned. The technician was called and he ran the scan. Whatever he did using the machine worked because after he was through, the gear works perfectly without carrying out oil change or any physical work. Thanks for putting this up. Internet can be powerful!
Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by scarplanet(m): 1:45am On Feb 24, 2018
If you drive Honda and you use any transmission fluid that isn't Honda recommended transmission fluid; I feel so sorry for you!

1 Like

Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by Alore: 7:22pm On Feb 24, 2018
scarplanet:
If you drive Honda and you use any transmission fluid that isn't Honda recommended transmission fluid; I feel so sorry for you!

How can one get to buy Honda transmission fluid in Nigeria?
Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by Bizzyliss(m): 11:27am On Feb 25, 2018
Alore:

How can one get to buy Honda transmission fluid in Nigeria?
go to oyingbo

1 Like

Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by kormene: 3:47pm On Nov 15, 2021
Wow, how did I get here? Have been researching on CRV tranny issues now for weeks to no avail.
Carelessly I haven't serviced my tranny for about 2 years now cos last time I went my mechanic said I disturb too much that my oil is healthy thus I should leave it.
That went into my head and I forgot to service gear for two years now.
Trouble started when I went to fix my suspensions and I carelessly asked my mech to gauge my tranny oil which he did and shouted that it was empty.
I had no extra cash on me cos I was only prepared for my suspensions, however, I asked him to top it up with 1 litre Oando something ii oil I use which he did and that was it.
Trying to drive out I noticed delayed engagement and he said it was cos of no oil which I doubted but long story short we ended up pouring 4 litres and thing became worse.
1. Delayed engagement from P to D
2. Uneven switching when driving
3. On speed slippage

God, am tired.

He said I should service the sensor abi solenoid which I did and later changed it from another another Honda car.

Bottom line is gear still bad.

From this trend think I'll do a scan on the car before anything else.

Any suggestions plz help meanwhile thanks I really appreciate your all
Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by Dozieson(m): 5:03pm On Nov 15, 2021
kormene:
Wow, how did I get here? Have been researching on CRV tranny issues now for weeks to no avail.
Carelessly I haven't serviced my tranny for about 2 years now cos last time I went my mechanic said I disturb too much that my oil is healthy thus I should leave it.
Trouble started when I went to fix my suspensions and I carelessly asked my mech to gauge my tranny oil which he did and shouted that it was empty.
I had no extra cash on me cos I was only prepared for my suspensions, however, I asked him to top it up with 1 litre Oando something ii oil I use which he did and that was it.
Trying to drive out I noticed delayed engagement and he said it was cos of no oil which I doubted but long story short we ended up pouring 4 litres and thing became worse.
3. On speed slippage

God, am tired.

He said I should service the sensor abi solenoid which I did and later changed it from another another Honda car.

You would have borrowed to buy original honda atf rather than toping oando. Don't ever listen to kazeem without due consultation when dealing with transmission
Re: RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model by homeboy205: 9:37pm On Nov 15, 2021
kormene:
3. On speed slippage

God, am tired.

Sad thing be say, those mechanics you visit without knowing what’s wrong with your car first Dey spoil car.

Car wey you drive reach there before dem see say no oil, and na hin say make you nor worry say your gear Dey ok…

That first 1 liter wey you top up na hin spoil the gear.

Mechanic wan chop
Everybody wan chop

Try draining and refill with original recommended oil and see how things play out

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

PAL-V Liberty Flying Car: An Overview / Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant / Watch A Land Rover Discovery Turbodiesel Tow A 121-Ton,Seven-Trailer Semi Truck

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.