Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,459 members, 7,816,077 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:44 AM

Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? (8050 Views)

Poll: Would you prefer to have an expensive funeral?

Yes: 6% (4 votes)
No: 93% (60 votes)
This poll has ended

Why Do We Cook And Eat At Funerals? / Igbo Girls Are Expensive And Beautiful / Why Do We Spend So Much On Funerals? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by Bawss1(m): 10:05pm On Mar 07, 2008
TOYOSI20:

@ Post

It depends on the deceased.

Really? I guess the reason for all the extravagant funerals is because the concept of death is not understood by most people. It is a solemn occasion. . . not one for making a social statement.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by seguno2: 12:54pm On Mar 08, 2008
Have u heard of medicine after death
That is what most of these funerals are.
Better to:

* take care of the person while alive as much as possible.
* establish a scholarship/foundation or building in his/her alma mater taht will last for ever.

Memories of the big funeral only lasts till the next bigger funeral.

Colossal waste and I hope we gradually psyche ourselves out of it.
To those Easterners who will not involve me in any meetings etc due to inexpensive burial, I guess that should ordinarily be good relief as such participations are nothing more that peer pressure of financial burdens.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by zheroes(m): 1:34pm On Mar 08, 2008
while its absolutely unnecessary, i know the relatives tend to be a bit relieved if a befitting burial is done. some see it as a mark of respect, but i guess people are overdoing it today. its of no use if the person died wretched.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by cicero(m): 1:49pm On Mar 08, 2008
Check out this burial guys!

Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by Nwaka77: 4:13pm On Mar 08, 2008
Not necessary but some cultures demand an expensive funeral especially if the person in question held a chieftancy title.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by nightnurse(f): 4:18pm On Mar 08, 2008
omg! this is pure waste of time, money, resources and energy, all these in the name of befitting burial abi? while millions of children are starving to death shocked God have mercy on us all.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by Bawss1(m): 9:24pm On Mar 08, 2008
@ Cicero

My goodness, amazing pictures! What a burial indeed, ingredients for an earthbound soul! shocked
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by princeonx: 11:35pm On Mar 09, 2008
Did you guys see the flat screen TV and DVD player/remotes in that picture? who will be turning them off/on for the deceased? will they really wire those electronics? who I dey ask sef? the dead woman?

I remember my uncle telling his kids that if the medical bills sef too much, they should leave the body at the hospital not to talk of spending heaven/earth for some funerals.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by LordReed(m): 9:46am On Mar 10, 2008
In our society today the rich can do no less than show it while the poor strive to emulate n not be left out of the show.

I think we have boxed ourselves into a corner cos we compare wat happened at this man's funeral wit the other's all the while striving to emulate certain things we have observed n even vow to surpass it.

We forget that death is the great leveler. Every man is reduced to a piece of meat by death n the wrapping of the body in glitter or the festivities that follow have no mean for death itself. However we cant rule out that it has mean for those of us still alive to witness it. To some it's comfort to others pride. Whatever the funeral event does mean to u I would say do it to ur hearts content.

I personally like the western way of burial. A service in church wit the deceased in view in a casket while people speakin a lil about him/her, a trip to the graveyard for prayers n commital to earth, a trip back to deceased house for commisseration with family then u go home end of story.

Societal expectations may not be easily cast aside but it should not become a burden. So what if he/she was a titleholder? Did he/she leave behind sufficient a legacy to execute a 'befitting' burial? Did his/her children/family celebrate/pamper him/her when alive? These n other questions are more relevant than wat society expects.

To summarise expensive funerals while unnecessary mean contain meaning for it's doers but we don't all have to follow the bandwagon.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by tome1: 12:24pm On Mar 10, 2008
was that a burial ground or its meant for tourist attarction.that was highly unnessary.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by clintonty(m): 1:44pm On Mar 10, 2008
wink wink wink "Why not give the deceased-to-be those lovely flowers when she would feel its colours and fragrance? Why not buy that expensive cloth when she would love to smile putting it on? Why not show her those smiles of yours when she would have felt relaxed that she had you around? Why not kill that cow during her birthday ceremony? Why not borrow money from anywhere now for her to be in good health (even though borrowing money for burial is easy). Fellow nairalanders, I will only permit the expensive funeral if when the deceased was alive, she was given more expensive care
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by Beline(f): 2:33pm On Mar 10, 2008
Why spending money for burial when most of those people were hardly taken care of when they were alive.

As long as I live, if you are confirm death today the next day is burial period and for myself the same is applicable
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by mercutio90: 2:39am On Mar 11, 2008
All I know is my grandfather's funeral is costing more than my brother's and my college tuition combined. Of course, my grandfather was a great man and deserves a good burial, but geeeeez- must the entire village be invited?! That's a LOT of rice!
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by adeboo(f): 1:51pm On Mar 11, 2008
No they arent.
I may be a bit harsh when i say once a person is dead, they are dead.

I would probably be paying for ma funeral expenses. I would put money aside that would pay for the funeral. I wont be letting them foot all the bill.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by Scopium: 6:46pm On Mar 11, 2008
[size=35pt]It's totally UNNECESSARY!!. If you can afford it use the money to cater for the destitutes.[/size]
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by Hsmpwise(m): 10:08pm On Mar 11, 2008
Shalom!

@post,

Expensive funerals WILL never be necessary. They serve no end and are unjustifiable. Most times it serves the purpose of personal aggrandisement for those who engage in it. It is an anti-social behaviour that does not further the progress of societies that engage in it. It is odious and reprehensible. It is a sign of moral and societal indiscipline.

Expensive funerals are societal aberrations calling for urgent solutions, just like the abominable act of "spraying". Those who engage in it probably need some form of psychiatric assessment! angry
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by topkin(m): 10:09pm On Mar 11, 2008
Entirely Unnessary!!!
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by yobo(m): 1:09pm On Mar 12, 2008
It is absolutely unecessarily.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by SOJ(m): 9:33am On Mar 13, 2008
expensive funerals are a total waste of money;i concurr with house.nigerians should begin to think about cremating the dead
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by anietieo1: 1:20pm On Mar 13, 2008
From the Poll result, Nigerians are saying no to Big funerals
I wish we can make it work
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by nightnurse(f): 1:34pm On Mar 13, 2008
easier said than done
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by software(m): 3:55am On Mar 14, 2008
VERY VERY unnecessary It is simply waist of time and money, it doesnt wort it,
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by software(m): 4:00am On Mar 14, 2008
VERY VERY unnecessary It is simply waist of time and money, it doesnt wort it,
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by annoited(m): 8:45am On Mar 14, 2008
when the vice president buried his late father, the attendes cut across the so called high and mighty in the society. GREAT. But will they be threr if the vp wrer to be a jobless graduate?.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by nightnurse(f): 10:15am On Mar 14, 2008
for where? people just forget that the dead is aware of nothing so whatsoever you do for him/her, he/she is absolutely unaware of that. wether you gave his/her body a befitting burial or not can never change where he/she spends enternity. wether we bury them in hundred million dollars casket or not "HELL" or "HEAVEN" is still their destination lipsrsealed
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by Taito007(m): 10:04pm On Mar 15, 2008
You guys remember the Nollywood movie title Died wretched buried in a 3million naira casket?[color=#006600][/color]
I thought about this movie when I saw the topic.I think most Nigerians should watch this film.It really brought out so many things that happens before someone dies(serious suffering,himself and the family) and the burial he gets after he was neglected while alive.
I think if one is truly mourning such person will have no appetite,but trust us we will be more hungry then.I feel there should be a ban on burial parties,not even the way they block the streets,it so disgusting.And at the end of the day we say no money.May God help us.Amen. angry
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by Kenny(m): 10:57am On Mar 17, 2008
Chritians should learn from certain Muslims in the simplicity of burial of the dead!
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by tRoOE(f): 5:20am On Mar 19, 2008
The family I came from having a funeral is pretty expensive especially since most of the children are abroad and people have a high expectation for the funeral. Sometimes I wonder if they spend more than the weddings, because after the dead has been buried, we have a huge party in Lagos, blocking the whole damn street, then go to our state and do another round of party.

And the clothing ahaha the decent children has a special native they got to wear in the morning, different one when everyone are looking at the body before it's the bury it, one after it buried, another one at night down, in fact i lost cont of how many times i had to change when my grandparents died
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by BlackMamba(m): 8:20pm On Mar 20, 2008
Taking it a bit further, cemetery and graves ought to be done away with. If we need reminders of the dead, images does a better job of that. I've already made a will that my body should be cremated and the ash scattered without funfare.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by babamutu: 12:41am On Mar 21, 2008
it all depends on your pocket
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by cherished(f): 6:06pm On Mar 22, 2008
i dont think expensive burial is necessary at all . its jst wasting of resourses.
Re: Are Expensive Funerals Necessary? by sweetberry(f): 12:27pm On Mar 23, 2008
cut your coat according to your size, if you can afford an expensive funeral then go for it

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Yoruba History Supported By DNA. The Eurasia connection / Translate This Yoruba Proverb To English

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.