Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,075 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Do U No Of Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Do U No Of Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? (1706 Views)

Do U Have A Dream Of Been A Radio Presenter,fashion Blogger Read This / Do U Think Petroleum Engineering Is A Good Course To Study? / What Do U Dislike About Your Organization. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do U No Of Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by hahaha2(m): 4:21am On Mar 04, 2008
I really need some help with my stutter, before it jeopardizes my career, cos its really starting to get out of hand now.
The worst part of my stutter is that when a gisting, yabbing, toasting babes or just chilling am 98% fluent, but then when i need to pass some serious information across that fluency rockets down to about 30%. i start repeating words, and stuttering badly.
So u can imagine how hard an oral examination will be for me, the written tests aint no prob, but the interviews are reallly tough for me. Up till now have got jobs based on my technical expertise, but obviously in he future i will need to get jobs which require more Oral than technical skills, and i feel i will total in the respect.

So please if u got any help on this please feel free, to share the info, thanks a bunch guys.
Re: Do U No Of Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by ristic(f): 12:52pm On Mar 04, 2008
I understand ur plight, and am sorry i dont have a cure but an advice.Maybe you should be more relaxed when speaking.
Anxiety i know comes from the mind, maybe u should try controlling how u express urself.(i.e in a more relaxed mode)
Re: Do U No Of Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by hahaha2(m): 7:21pm On Mar 04, 2008
Thanks for the advice Bebe, will try that.
Re: Do U No Of Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by hahaha2(m): 7:24pm On Mar 04, 2008
Thanks for the advice Bebe ristic, will try that.
Re: Do U No Of Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by samiola: 2:06pm On Mar 05, 2008
hi,

I was really touched when i saw your post and i must say this,i do feel your pain.Neverthless, i must say this from my research and observation,i discovered that people who stammer most times are very brilliant people,who have great ideas and great prospects.You must realise that to this fact, when thay are faced with issues and things they are very conversant with they are always in a hurry to say all they know about it or the issue at hand, that is to say they always so eager to reveal ther knowledge about such issues as a result they stammer. My advice to you is that when you talk always try to calm down,take your time to always express your idea,i can bet you with time you'll overcome your stuttering.
God bless as u do according to my advice.
Re: Do U No Of Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by wisemaster(m): 7:12pm On Mar 05, 2008
They've said it all. Relax ! relax !! relax !!!. Try this old trick. It works anyway. Make a banner with the word RELAX and place it in a conspicous place in your room.

Overtime you'll see a change. I bet you.
Re: Do U No Of Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by hahaha2(m): 12:51am On Mar 06, 2008
Thanks a lot guys, will try putting your suggestions to test.
I heard YOGA training can make you very relaxed and also better your breathing pattern, am thinking of taking YOGA maybe that will help me relax, and Yoga ain't widely practised in naija as such, so its gonna be hard finding an instructor.

samiola
i must say this from my research and observation,i discovered that people who stammer most times are very brilliant people,who have great ideas and great prospects.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Sis
Re: Do U No Of Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by Kashif(m): 9:47am On Mar 06, 2008
When I was around six years old, I was shown a small metal gong which I considered clean. I was told that when the time came for me to start talking, it was discovered that i was a near convoluting stutterer! My mum said it was very embarrasing even though many of my older siblings stuttered so, somebody advised her to get the gong and make sure I used it to drink water. At that age, I could not imagine the level of my stuttering that could have warranted that because I was no longer stuttering though it still runs in the blood.

Now at full adulthood, you would never notice I stutter unless I combust. I have managed to get over it even though I still have challenges if I rush consonant-rich words.

So brother, slow down your speech rate and see how better you will become. Read a passage to yourself and record it (most phones now have recorders). Play it back and see how you never imagined you sound! Just relaxing will not completely do the magic. Learn to pick your words one at a time patiently.

I had an uncle (Sam) who talked so very slowly you would think he was speech impared or something. Later, I discovered that was the only way he could overcome his almost handicapping stammering! My dad told me that Sam lived with him when he was young. His stammering was soo much that when he wakes up in the morning and comes out to greet my dad, he would struggle with the greeting so much that my dad would simply reply "morning", just to save Sam the stress. But he overcame it by learning how to greatly slow down on his speech speed.

Unfortunately, all of Sam's children less one, stammer!

I am not saying you should use gong. Just try and slow down and see how this works. Good luck cool
Re: Do U No Of Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by hahaha2(m): 6:53am On Mar 07, 2008
Relaxing, and restarting my statements work when am not havin serious converstaion.
But once its serious conversation, i feel like my windpipe as shrunk to the size of a pinhole and its very hard to get stuff out no matter how hard i try to relax or retstart the statment, i still stutter, i basically force my words out at this point.
Re: Do U No Of Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by fullofluv(f): 11:15pm On Mar 14, 2008
This might sound crazy.But it worked for my father. Eating turtle soup in a turtle shell.
Re: Do U No Of Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by Jalal(m): 11:52am On Mar 20, 2008
Hey i stayed there bw 1987 to 1990, stayed @ Cresent B, even did the Federal Housing Estate Primary skool located within 1004, where did u stay?
Re: Do U No Of Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by similu: 12:50pm On Mar 25, 2008
Know exactly how you feel cos i go through the same ordeal with interviews, as u said it hits hard when facing a serious discussion. Have seen some adds on Speecheasy it is suppose to reduce stuttering to the lowest minimium, this though is not available here in Nigeria. have also come across adds on verbal therapy which also reduces stammering from the various testimonies, but all this are obtainable in the states or UK. The only form of therapy i am into now is relaxation. Taking deep breaths before i talk or when the stammering comes helps me get out what i have to say a lot easier. Though it's still difficult and at times it tends to work quit slowly as most times a stammerer feels the listener is in a haste to get the response but its allot better doing it ryt once than trying over and over.
Still have some bad days, but rlaxing and taking it easy helps alot.

(1) (Reply)

8 Biggest Career Mistakes That People Make In Their 20s / Finance Careers: Becoming A Financial Analyst (outside 9ja; in the USA) / Thread For Microbiologists In QC Labs In Pharmaceutical Companies.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.