Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

Our Parents Lied - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Our Parents Lied (879 Views)

Nigerian Govt. Lied, UN Meeting It Failed To Attend Not “Unofficial” - PremiumT / Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. / How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Parents Lied by Nobody: 11:21am On Jan 24, 2013
Growing up as a kid in northern Nigeria, I was told so many glittering tales about our beloved country.
How workers were paid in due time.
How the country was brimming with energy. How the fragrance of greatness oozed from the new Republic. And our so-called founding fathers.
Today, after walking down the history lane, I am compelled to disagree.
This country was never the haven our parents would have us believe. The country was never progressing. It has always been the same retrogresion all the way to the present.
It is even laughable when the same people who associate the 30+ years of northern rule to the era of darkness, associate these 'past' to with the era of hope. A case of a man who claims his son made life a hell for him to also claim life was better when the boy was with him.
Our founding fathers were selfish men whose only good were ego-driven. They didn't do enough to unite us.
Sardauna, Awolowo, Zik, worked hard in creating this mess.
I read on how the Sardauna and his entourage were booed in lagos for rejecting the idea of independence. On their way home, one of his men made the comment that, they can never be in one country with these people. I don't know the authenticity of the latter.
I also read on how Awolowo backed the FG to oust Biafra with a promise of making him a President.
Waiting for Zik's version.
These men sowed the seed of discord, tribalism, sectionalism. As for me, this country has always being the same.
People what do you think? No insults please.
Re: Our Parents Lied by Kay17: 3:25pm On Jan 24, 2013
The privilege of being dead and being mythified
Re: Our Parents Lied by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jan 24, 2013
Kay 17: The privilege of being dead and being mythified
Exactly.
Re: Our Parents Lied by Kay17: 4:44pm On Jan 24, 2013
Upon reading our history, I was shocked at how corrupt, unholy, tribalistic these guys were. And they were even pawns for the colonists' game.
Re: Our Parents Lied by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jan 24, 2013
Your father told you beautiful stories about Nigeria, yes they are not wrong because then your people (Hausa) is in the throne. Their graduate have automatic employment in any company of their choice then
Re: Our Parents Lied by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jan 24, 2013
@Op..,You just said it the way it is. The problem of Nigeria originated from our selfish, self-centred, corrupt and dis-united founding fathers. Most of them deserve some place in the darkest part of hell (God forgive me)

1 Like

Re: Our Parents Lied by MajeOfficial: 7:00pm On Jan 24, 2013
The stories are exaggerations because that's what nigerians do best. when something is theirs and here, they hate it, when it's dead and gone they love it and will exaggerate it's features

even Abacha who was robbing the country blind, killing nigerians at will, and didn't improve any sector of the country, the same abacha that got nigeria ban from the international community is being hailed as a good leader just because he isn't GEJ who has improved power, agriculture, aviation, the petroleum industry, rail ways, and education like him or not.

I know that it wasn't better back then because of all of my grand parents and their generation it's only my grandfather that can read. All of my grandfathers brothers were and are illiterate and all of the women were unanimously illiterate, but all of their children (my parents and their generation) were literate and today their children are fully literate and technology savvy.

1 Like

Re: Our Parents Lied by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jan 24, 2013
Sunehri_145: Your father told you beautiful stories about Nigeria, yes they are not wrong because then your people (Hausa) is in the throne. Their graduate have automatic employment in any company of their choice then
Lol. Dude, I'm not from the north.
Re: Our Parents Lied by juman(m): 9:07pm On Jan 24, 2013
Hmmm
Re: Our Parents Lied by pazienza(m): 3:21am On Jan 25, 2013
Haha! The country had always been a mess, they will tell you how there use to be 24 hours power supply,but ask them how many people lived in the cities those days to enjoy the light, many were in the villages,and the villages had no light. They would tell you that those days,university graduates were never unemployed, ask them how many people had the money and privilege to attend university those days, most people were peasants that fed well on their farm produce,but had no money. They would tell you that naira had more value those days,but ask them how many had enough of it to afford life necessities.

1 Like

Re: Our Parents Lied by juman(m): 8:49am On Jan 25, 2013
We have never been one.

(1) (Reply)

Attack On Ihejirika Is Unnecessary, Says Group / Nollywood Actor, BOB MANUEL Appointed As Special Adviser To Anambra State Govt / PDP Governors At War Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.