Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:00 AM

Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) (24063 Views)

Remaining Possessions Of Tafawa Balewa At His Tomb. Photos / Tafawa Balewa As Nigeria Celebrated Independence Day In 1960 - Throwback Photos / Fashola - Ambobe Handing Over: Tafawa Balewa Square Tastefully Decorated (photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by PeeDaVinci: 12:32am On Jan 25, 2013
[flash]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT5m9Fn9RBg[/flash]
other than the mosque-visiting part of the video (which may send negative message in the nigeria of today), i see a charismatic leader who looks very confident in his pose and speech (irrespective of his ugly look and dressing smiley )

[size=18pt]check
2:27
7:40
25:20
[/size] for his ATB's speeches

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by NuhuRibadu: 2:38pm On Jan 25, 2013
Abeg, make somebody give jona this video to watch so that he can learn how to conduct himself on his oversea travels

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by Eziachi: 2:43pm On Jan 25, 2013
Though he won't win an Oscar for his dressing but he was very comfortably eloquent in speaking, compared to what we got from the facebook generation leaders of today with their quota PHDs.
Funny he was being given flowers in Tennessee, probably nearby somewhere there in the south, the ku klux klan is busy hanging a fellow black fellow on a tree.

10 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by KINGwax(m): 1:56pm On Jan 26, 2013
Galore of affronts
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by IleIfe2(m): 1:57pm On Jan 26, 2013
Has anyone listened to the telephone conversation between Balewa and JFK? It sounded like and a bully and a reluctant apprehensive victim talking. cheesy cheesy
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by outrage: 1:59pm On Jan 26, 2013
GEJ no fit near this man speaking #fact

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by OmerianConsult: 2:08pm On Jan 26, 2013
The good old days! Better days ahead though

3 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by dickhardener: 2:11pm On Jan 26, 2013
His speech was articulately relayed. What a fine leader! Posterity will hold liable the subsequent figures that impelled this once enviable state to rot. My fellow Nigerians, in light of the dissipated human and financial resources of our dear nation Nigeria, I believe in hope. I believe in rekindling hope, for life is not a continuum of great events but of setbacks and discomfiture that calls for strength, unity and hardwork

6 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by Symphony007: 2:13pm On Jan 26, 2013
Tafawa balewa was one of the most educated nigeria leaders. This is man made me proud to be a nigerian during his u.s state visit. He examplified when nigeria was great and respected. He got a full state visit honour from pres. Kennedy including a state dinner. After which he made pres.kennedy fly over to newyork and he hosted a return state dinner at the waldrof astorian hotel. Everywhere he went, he was respected and and even honoured by the u.s association of journalist. Looking back at that state visit brings tear to my eye cause it just showed how far our country has fallen since then.

4 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by chreldb(m): 2:20pm On Jan 26, 2013
The first thing that I noticed was the kind of reception that was given to Tafawa Balewa. You could tell he was regarded as a VIP. Being received by the VP and secretary of state of a country such as the USA, while the citizens gathered en mass to see the Nigerian Prime minister. But today because of how our leaders have abused their office when they are travel out of the country they are received with scorn and disdain and treated like inferior human beings. And it is even worse with the current president we have. Whom I doubt if he knows the respect and importance accorded to the office he holds. Granting personal interviews to reporters and being spoken to like as if he is a commoner and not a president. 2015 should come already and let us kick him out of office ASAP. The way he disgraces us internationally is becoming unbearable. I am waiting for an slowpoke to reply and ask me if me or my family has accomplished what GEJ has. Nonsense human beings angry.

22 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by Elshaq(m): 2:21pm On Jan 26, 2013
;DChoi. C microfone
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by naxxoxo(m): 2:37pm On Jan 26, 2013
The man spoke perfect English shocked. Chei wetin person no grow up hear. Thanks for uploading this video
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jan 26, 2013
chreld_b: The first thing that I noticed was the kind of reception that was given to Tafawa Balewa. You could tell he was regarded as a VIP. Being received by the VP and secretary of state of a country such as the USA, while the citizens gathered en mass to see the Nigerian Prime minister. But today because of how our leaders have abused their office when they are travel out of the country they are received with scorn and disdain and treated like inferior human beings. And it is even worse with the current president we have. Whom I doubt if he knows the respect and importance accorded to the office he holds. Granting personal interviews to reporters and being spoken to like as if he is a commoner and not a president. 2015 should come already and let us kick him out of office ASAP. The way he disgraces us internationally is becoming unbearable. I am waiting for an slowpoke to reply and ask me if me or my family has accomplished what GEJ has. Nonsense human beings angry.

No, i think we have gotten so used to mediocrity. There is no more yardstick for professionalism. and the formal way of doing things is regarded as pretending or showmanship

2 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by stephenponti(m): 2:43pm On Jan 26, 2013
Wow this is first hand close look on tafawa balewa. I just give him kudos. Used to think He is dump ABOKI.
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by thaoriginator: 2:44pm On Jan 26, 2013
@OP, Seun and Mod, I dey come make shaply watch the video. I go soon comment. BTW, good afternoon people!
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by AjCityOne: 2:44pm On Jan 26, 2013
PeeDaVinci: [flash]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT5m9Fn9RBg[/flash]
other than the mosque-visiting part of the video (which may send negative message in the nigeria of today), i see a charismatic leader who looks very confident in his pose and speech (irrespective of his ugly look and dressing smiley )

[size=18pt]check
2:27
7:40
25:20
[/size] for his ATB's speeches

As much as I appreciated the fact the you posted this video. I hate the fact that you have to ruin your whole effort by bringing up your stupid religious bias. Why can't people like you let history be. Maybe if we go back to those time with high level of religious tolerance and respect for other's belief we will be much better off today. You go to Church and mosque so much and yet nothing works in your country. Corruption is all over the place.

3 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by yomip3t(m): 2:50pm On Jan 26, 2013
A great leader !

3 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 26, 2013
HOW THE HECK DO YOU VISIT A COUNTRY WHERE YOUR RACE IS SEGREGATED INTO GHETTOS AS SUBHUMANS IN THE 1960S. I WONDER IF THEY PUT HIM IN A BLACK HOTEL IN THE BLACK PART OF TOWN OR THEY ALLOWED HIM TO BE THE FLY IN THE SOUP. THE HYPOCRISY OF AMERICA TO EVEN ACCEPT SUCH AS VISIT KNOWING HOW THEY VIEW HIS TYPE.

3 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by drzed: 2:56pm On Jan 26, 2013
Oya, see jamb questions:

(1) Can the American House of Reps organise/convene a special session for any Naija leader today - as they did for Balewa?

a) No way
b) For where
c) Na beans?
d) Next Question pls
e) Mtcheeeww

(2) Can (or has) any recent leader of Nigeria speak (or spoken) so eloquently - with impressive accent, while being modest and unassuming about it?

a) No way
b) For where
c) Na beans?
d) Next Question pls
e) All of the above

7 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by PeeDaVinci: 2:56pm On Jan 26, 2013
AjCityOne:

As much as I appreciated the fact the you posted this video. I hate the fact that you have to ruin your whole effort by bringing up your stupid religious bias. Why can't people like you let history be. Maybe if we go back to those time with high level of religious tolerance and respect for other's belief we will be much better off today. You go to Church and mosque so much and yet nothing works in your country. Corruption is all over the place.

do i have a problem with ATB visiting the mosque? ABSOLUTELY NOT. however, i'm concerned about the kind of message paying a state visit to a religious center may send in present day nigeria, where religious intolerance is growing by the day.
by the way, (this is off-topic), i prefer a secular (not multi-religious) nigeria state in which nigerians are deeply and "truely" religious.
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 26, 2013
HAVING SAID ALL THAT TAFAWA BALEWA COMES ACROSS AS A COMPOSED AND VERY DIGNIFIED, CONFIDENT, SELF ASSURED, STATUESQUE AND PRINCIPLED MAN.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC Governors Angry With Tinubu, Why They Shunned Campaign Meeting- NewTelegraph / BEDC Power Station On Fire In Edo (Video) / Boko Haram: N2.2bn Spent On Prayers In Nigeria & Saudi Arabia - EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.