Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:47 PM

Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) (24047 Views)

Remaining Possessions Of Tafawa Balewa At His Tomb. Photos / Tafawa Balewa As Nigeria Celebrated Independence Day In 1960 - Throwback Photos / Fashola - Ambobe Handing Over: Tafawa Balewa Square Tastefully Decorated (photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by mazinaija: 9:40pm On Jan 26, 2013
chreld_b: The first thing that I noticed was the kind of reception that was given to Tafawa Balewa. You could tell he was regarded as a VIP. Being received by the VP and secretary of state of a country such as the USA, while the citizens gathered en mass to see the Nigerian Prime minister. But today because of how our leaders have abused their office when they are travel out of the country they are received with scorn and disdain and treated like inferior human beings. And it is even worse with the current president we have. Whom I doubt if he knows the respect and importance accorded to the office he holds. Granting personal interviews to reporters and being spoken to like as if he is a commoner and not a president. 2015 should come already and let us kick him out of office ASAP. The way he disgraces us internationally is becoming unbearable. I am waiting for an slowpoke to reply and ask me if me or my family has accomplished what GEJ has. Nonsense human beings angry.
You are stupid
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by nagoma(m): 9:53pm On Jan 26, 2013
eklassical: .,............And major chukwuemeka nzeogwu took this man's life during d first coup in 1966..........smh

It was actually Major Emmanuel ifeajuna who did the lagos massacre ( including the murder of TBW) chukwuma Nzegwu was doing his murders in kaduna -- but they were the same genocidal team.
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by zeennurei(m): 10:19pm On Jan 26, 2013
What a great and intelligent leader, RIP Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by toshmann(m): 11:09pm On Jan 26, 2013
this man's accent was superb. and he wasnt faking it. i've heard him on BBC speaking to some british people en-route america to register nigeria at the UN. did you guys notice how much respect the americans gave the nigerian delegation? even a joint session speech at congress.

this guy was confident, confortable in his skin, his clothes, his gait, his everything and wasnt trying hard to impress anyone yet he impressed everyone reasonable.
this guy appears more intelligent than 98% of the graduates of nigerian university today, including masters degree holders and majority of PhD holders. then we had a country. today the name Nigeria is toxic in the international community. . . . and PDP is not done yet.

4 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jan 26, 2013
They borrowed Air Force One?

His speech was ok. WTF were they wearing? they all look idiotic no pon intended
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by toshmann(m): 11:17pm On Jan 26, 2013
that was 1961. dont judge their fashion with 21st century style.

but look at their pose and composure. compare that to our PhD GEJ

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by Rhino5dm: 11:27pm On Jan 26, 2013
The arrogant greedy bastards murdered him in cold blood.

RIP the great one.
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by Daresh(f): 11:51pm On Jan 26, 2013
Please who are all these ppl standing and waving to him. do they know him?
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by dinggle: 1:08am On Jan 27, 2013
What happened to the North? where did they get such an eloquent and confident leader......if not for his dressing you couldn't tell he was from the north.I also took note of Nigerians born in that era they spoke better English than what is spoken today. I wasn't born at the time so, I couldn't tell if he addressed the nation or not. If I should judge him from his 1961 visit...he made me a proud Nigerian.......If you must know I'm from the South-South, truth has no shame!
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by AOAC: 3:35am On Jan 27, 2013
Symphony007: are you okay? Tafawa balewa was one of the most educated nigeria leaders. This is man made me proud to be a nigerian during his u.s state visit. He examplified when nigeria was great and respected. He got a full state visit honour from pres. Kennedy including a state dinner. After which he made pres.kennedy fly over to newyork and he hosted a return state dinner at the waldrof astorian hotel. Everywhere he went, he was respected and and even honoured by the u.s association of journalist. Looking back at that state visit brings tear to my eye cause it just showed how far our country has fallen since then.

I agree. Thing like this should remind us how great we used to be and inspire us to regain our respect today. We should all try to do our bit of cleaning up and u'd b surprised how great we can become again. I never even knew about this visit, but it sure shows our country has really capsized. We can make thing work.....we can.

Abubakar must be rolling in in his grave over the mess his country has become. This video has really made me upset about the country... Oga Jona! Wake up oooo! U get work to do!
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by micath09(m): 3:47am On Jan 27, 2013
I was crying watching this video; and it's so appalling how bad we've traveled after 51 years. Rather than criticizing and bashing each other on this forum, I think it would make sense asking ourselves how we can make a change. I lived in U.S, served in the Army, and right now, I'm working with the state department but it was saddening, how degrading we're being looked down on. Please, let's go beyond this ethnic bigots, racial sentiment, tribalism, and stand for a positive change. The purpose of education is to effect a meaningful change; no matter how small.

6 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by Parnassuss(m): 6:26am On Jan 27, 2013
WOW! This guy was legit! His poise was world class! If only that GEJ could replicate even his speaking confidence.

That said, I would like to point out that though this video shows a confident, intelligent and charismatic leader it tells almost nothing about his policies and actual skills. No matter what we see here, Nigeria as a country suffered a lot and his era is seen as the gateway to that limbo.

I will however go ahead and say that this man does not look like he deserved to be killed by the coup plotters, as an Igbo man it just dawned on me that Capt Nzeogwu might have quenched the north's brightest light. That is sobering.
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by nagoma(m): 6:57am On Jan 27, 2013
Parnassuss: WOW! This guy was legit! His poise was world class! If only that GEJ could replicate even his speaking confidence.
That said, I would like to point out that though this video shows a confident, intelligent and charismatic leader it tells almost nothing about his policies and actual skills. No matter what we see here, Nigeria as a country suffered a lot and his era is seen as the gateway to that limbo.
I will however go ahead and say that this man does not look like he deserved to be killed by the coup plotters, as an Igbo man it just dawned on me that Capt Nzeogwu might have quenched the north's brightest light. That is sobering.

You said it all in your last sentence. Your short statement explains the Igbo coup of 1966 and the war that followed and the mess we are in right now. The Igbos destroyed nigeria. They didn't see TBW as an elected Nigerian Prime Minister but as a northerner.
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by Rhino5dm: 7:01am On Jan 27, 2013
The ibo power thirsty greedy bastards murdered him in cold blood. Heck, they paid with millions and still paying. Goto Bauchi and ask about Tafawa Balewa they worship and adore him like a God. Such was a brilliant and eloquent leader, yet the greedy ibo animals went all out to murder him and other fine gentlemen in the folds of Akintola, Sardauna & co.

The I before other mentality and greed led them to selectively wiped other regional leaders, initiating tribalism into a seemingly progressive country. Yet, the old senile crippled fool called Achebe is blaming others.

4 Likes

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by Rhino5dm: 7:06am On Jan 27, 2013
Kai rabu da shegu, matsiyata!

nagoma:

You said it all in your last sentence. Your short statement explains the Igbo coup of 1966 and the war that followed and the mess we are in right now. The Igbos destroyed nigeria. They didn't see TBW as an elected Nigerian Prime Minister but as a northerner.

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by mu2sa2: 8:27am On Jan 27, 2013
arewatech: This is one of the best leaders Nigeria has ever had. I'm very proud of him
The best, not one of the best - in intelligence,articulation, poise and everything. But alas, this honest, God-fearing leader was to be murdered by tribal bigots. And Nigeria is to this day paying the price for the brutal act. Balewa rests in peace now, for guided by his faith and patriotism, this humble man was never associated with lying, stealing, thuggery, vote rigging, murder, alcohol, debauchery or any negative thing. Pls every nigerian should endeavour to visit his house in Bauchi (now a museum) and see all the man's earthly possessions at the time he was murdered.

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by muktarmtt(m): 8:44am On Jan 27, 2013
hollandis: Stupid leader .He never addressed the nation for once.He was an illiterate .No wonder my great grand aunty called him dumb,cos he never talks
will u specfy wch silly leader dnt tell me is GEJ
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by Nobody: 9:09am On Jan 27, 2013
Wow. The intelligence, eloquence, charisma, simplicity, confidence and stately deportment demonstrated by Balewa is almost unbelievable. The royal reception accorded him by the Americans is equally unbelievable. What went wrong thereafter? How did we come to the present sorry state of affairs?

I've also noticed that most educated Nigerians (even within the military) of that era spoke impeccable English, and often had an air of aristocratic refinement about them. The standard of education in Nigeria has depreciated dramatically since then. Such a huge shame.
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by nex(m): 9:15am On Jan 27, 2013
Look at a real Nigerian leader. I watched this video some months ago, and I felt like burning the current Aso Rock occupant at the stake. Even as much as these people were so educated, the more they shunned opulence.

Here is a picture of the Prime Minister with his children during his annual leave. See the simple life the man is living no better than any average Nigerian citizen of that era.

By the way, Major Kaduna Nzeogwu did not kill Tafawa Balewa. It was Ifeajuna.

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by CohenJane: 10:47am On Jan 27, 2013
hiltop!:

One's word is one's mirror, I don't expect fragrance from sewerage. Your abominable ancestors had been ac-curs-ed with prejudices. Can't you people, for once, look at an issue without a jaundiced view?. Let your Dr. GEJ undertake such a trip with the same coverage and see how is going to perform. Oloriburuku omo.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by yommyuk: 10:50am On Jan 27, 2013
Wow! grin First time I have actually heard the man speak! And to be honest, it was like a bolt from the blue. Very unexpected! The guy was very composed, well-expressed in speaking and well collected. The only thing that let him down was his dressing (But that one na culture).
Impressed! cool Unlike some. undecided
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by CohenJane: 11:09am On Jan 27, 2013
crackhaus: OBADIAH777, I beg to differ on this your opinion. During that period(50's and 60's), Nigeria as a geographical entity commanded a ton of respect from international on-lookers and I guess this is the reason why Tafawa Balewa got such a welcome. Nigerians were never considered as less in the eyes of America until it became clear to them that we as a nation could no longer fend for its citizens even while the political elite lived in extravagance. Most, if not all, of Nigerians who travelled to the west in the 50's & 60's were learned men & women who sought to enrish their knowledge unlike today where majority of nigerians only seek greener pastures in the US so they can come back home to show-off the new car/house they acquired washing the white man's dishes.
I mean, check out you tube videos where journalists interview nigerian head of states from Babaginda to Obasanjo to Jonathan and then we can notice the condescending tone with which they interview Nigerian figures.
The question now is, was it always so? Absolutely not. Our leaders are responsible for degrading and belittling our soverignty and it will remain so for as long as things remain as they are in our country. I can't imaginge Isha sesay or Amanpour interviewing Obama or Cameron or even that north Korean guy the way they did Jonathan, its so phucking demoralizing at the least.

At the boldened. Honestly, you are the first person that will be making reference to that part of the video. I was wondering too that can any of these leaders you mentioned above be interviewed in such manner CNN interviewed our own GEJ? You can't imagine that was a president being interviewed. President of the FRN for that matter. I despise that, you know
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by didoburns(m): 1:54pm On Jan 27, 2013
slim fit :

Fashola can get that type of recognition I can tell you and assure you that, take all sentiment out.
I dont think so fashola is just overated joor
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by didoburns(m): 2:03pm On Jan 27, 2013
dinggle: What happened to the North? where did they get such an eloquent and confident leader......if not for his dressing you couldn't tell he was from the north.I also took note of Nigerians born in that era they spoke better English than what is spoken today. I wasn't born at the time so, I couldn't tell if he addressed the nation or not. If I should judge him from his 1961 visit...he made me a proud Nigerian.......If you must know I'm from the South-South, truth has no shame!
what do you mean by'"What happened to the North? where did they get such an eloquent and confident leader" you better stop decieving yourself that you south south people are in anyway more exposed and civilized than the northerners. i not for the oil eventually discovered there you guys are the crudest and most uncivilized bunch ever, norhterners have always got class and poise. go back to ur history books it will tell you more

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jan 27, 2013
Symphony007: Tafawa balewa was one of the most educated nigeria leaders. This is man made me proud to be a nigerian during his u.s state visit. He examplified when nigeria was great and respected. He got a full state visit honour from pres. Kennedy including a state dinner. After which he made pres.kennedy fly over to newyork and he hosted a return state dinner at the waldrof astorian hotel. Everywhere he went, he was respected and and even honoured by the u.s association of journalist. Looking back at that state visit brings tear to my eye cause it just showed how far our country has fallen since then.
Oh please spare us this garbage. That balewa had a slight British accent is all that's tripping you. Maybe you forget we are Nigerians not englishmen. As for being "respected", we had a literacy rate of 8 per cent and the world's highest malnutrition rates at the end of British rule, so what "respect" are you on about? Today we have a wealthier, better educated population by far, so spare us the nostalgia.
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by gerald09(m): 7:00pm On Jan 27, 2013
It official Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ have to stop saying our National anthem. Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ have failed our heroes and their past has obviously bin in vain. Even if ATB went to a country that sees BLACK people as mare property that was what made Nigeria the gaint of Africa then. The white man still submitted to him simples! Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ lost Nigeria when thugs started ruling us. Nw Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ are cin as cyba thieves, kidnappers, terrorist, dupes and religious extremist and fanatics. I wonder if our past heroes will fight for us now. Oga ATB ur BLACK people are still cin as properties but dis tym by dem own people.
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by ikachi1: 7:41pm On Jan 27, 2013
I have just heard this man speak for the first time. Amongst all the heads of state I have known here in Nigeria, none came close to this man in eloquence. I couldn't pick up any sign of a northerner in him when he spoke. He spoke pure and undiluted Queen ’s English. That generation was a pure bred generation with fire of patriotism in them. God bless Tafawa Balewa where ever he is.

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jan 27, 2013
Rhino.5dm:
The arrogant greedy bastards murdered him in cold blood.

RIP the great one.

Hahaha fool..... His policies led to his waterloo. Bite a bullet for him if you care so much. Ba5tard tongue
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by baron2000(m): 1:09am On Jan 28, 2013
PeeDaVinci: [flash]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT5m9Fn9RBg[/flash]
other than the mosque-visiting part of the video (which may send negative message in the nigeria of today), i see a charismatic leader who looks very confident in his pose and speech (irrespective of his ugly look and dressing smiley )

[size=18pt]check
2:27
7:40
25:20
[/size] for his ATB's speeches

This changes my opinion of this great man. I wish we could have more of our leaders conducting themselves in such manner. The north can do with more persons like this. What happened to his descendants? They should step up to the plate and show that the are Balewas.
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by BlueMurder(m): 10:02am On Jan 28, 2013
nex: Look at a real Nigerian leader. I watched this video some months ago, and I felt like burning the current Aso Rock occupant at the stake. Even as much as these people were so educated, the more they shunned opulence.

Here is a picture of the Prime Minister with his children during his annual leave. See the simple life the man is living no better than any average Nigerian citizen of that era.

By the way, Major Kaduna Nzeogwu did not kill Tafawa Balewa. It was Ifeajuna.

This is simplicity par excellence. I can't imagine a modern day GEJ being so simple and down to earth in his farm house or wherever.
Re: Tafawa Balewa's Visit To USA (1961) (Video) by WarHorse1(m): 12:36pm On Jan 28, 2013
So, why was this great man killed? I am of the view that the coup that killed TB left Nigeria with a sin that may never be atoned.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buratai, Other Ex-Service Chiefs In Senate For Ambassadorial Screening / Nnamdi Kanu’s Family Warns Simon Ekpa To Desist From Using IPOB Leader’s Name / Governor Fayose Releases 80% Fuel Meant For Government House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.