Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,940 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos (16310 Views)

Pictures From Shiites-Army Clash In Zaria, Many Feared Dead / Naval Officer Who Died While Fighting Boko Haram Insurgents Buried / APC And PDP Supporters Clash In Abule Egba, Lagos (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by watchinglagos: 6:16am On Jan 28, 2013
THERE was pandemonium in Apapa area of Lagos State, weekend, when some armed naval personnel and policemen from Area B Police Command clashed.

Two policemen allegedly sustained injuries, police patrol vehicles and an Armoured Personnel Carriers, APC, were allegedly destroyed.

Vanguard gathered that the incident occurred last Friday, after a team of policemen attached to the Lagos State Task Force on Environmental and Special Offences, accosted two naval ratings on a motorcycle riding against traffic at Trebo Roundabout and allegedly impounded their motorcycle.

The incident was said to have thrown the entire area into panic.

Eyewitnesses said the angry naval personnel ran back to their base and reinforced but on arriving Trebo Roundabout, the task force officials had gone.

The aggrieved naval personnel allegedly descended on a team of policemen attached to the Rapid Respond Squad, RRS, manning an APC stationed at the Roundabout.

An eyewitness, who spoke to Vanguard on the condition of anonymity, said “The policemen, in their bid to escape, drove the APC dangerously and out of the roundabout to the Area B Command Headquarters. Some of the naval personnel went after them. A police inspector attached to a leading new generation bank, on Liverpool Road, was attacked and beaten to pulp while his rifle was taken from him.”

“The naval personnel on getting to Area B Command Headquarters, started shooting indiscriminately, sending motorists and residents scampering for safety.

“They smashed the windscreens of some patrol vehicles and one APC was completely demobilised as it tyres were destroyed.

“It took the intervention of the Area Commander, Ali Mohammed, who contacted the naval authorities for help.”

When contacted, the Western Command information officer, Jerry Omodara, told Vanguard that the Navy did not attack the police area command office.

According to him, “What happened was that two naval ratings were on their way home on a motorbike after the close of work and policemen manning a check point at Point Road junction towards Liverpool stopped them. The ratings tried to explain that they were personnel closing from work and the policemen refused to let them go.

The scene where the incident occurred was close to the Hydrographic office of the Navy and a Rear Admiral who saw it happened sent a lieutenant to the scene.

The lieutenant pleaded with the policemen, but they refused to listen. The lieutenant then demanded that they all go to the Area B police Command Headquarters.”

“But on their way to the Command, an RRS patrol van approached and hijacked the situation. The RRS policemen opened fire on the Navy and snatched the motorbike from them.”

http://www.watchinglagos.com/2013/01/police-naval-officers-clash-in-lagos.html

1 Like

Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by gramci: 6:46am On Jan 28, 2013
I like the version of the naval spokesperson grin

23 Likes

Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by Nobody: 9:53am On Jan 28, 2013
Any pictures of the fight ?
Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by femzy(m): 9:57am On Jan 28, 2013
gramci: I like the version of the naval spokesperson grin

grin
Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by coalcoal1(m): 9:58am On Jan 28, 2013
Stories that touch.....

1 Like

Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by emmasmiles(m): 9:59am On Jan 28, 2013
Naval are always ready I luv dem joor

1 Like

Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by bossman4: 9:59am On Jan 28, 2013
What a dumb explanation from the naval authority. We can cook up stories to defend anything. Gosh!

4 Likes

Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by mosho2good: 10:00am On Jan 28, 2013
I which I could be d refree of d fight
Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by Joe50(m): 10:00am On Jan 28, 2013
Our police no get head at all... Even though na d only job wey dey dis country i will never join police force, very use.less set of organization angry angry angry angry
Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by erniok(m): 10:00am On Jan 28, 2013
na for naija where security personnel go dey fight each other instead of protecting and serving.

8 Likes

Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by Sexkillzdick: 10:01am On Jan 28, 2013
Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by pastie(m): 10:01am On Jan 28, 2013
Cows angryangryangry
Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by deebrain(m): 10:01am On Jan 28, 2013
Why do i feel like laughing? God have mercy on me...

Lesson to be learnt.
Police please, always remember that navy men are actually soldiers but they are based on waters. If soldiers can harm u when challenged, sea men can equally do as worse.

6 Likes

Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by brownlord: 10:06am On Jan 28, 2013
NPF are bunch of fools, they always hv ths beef for the armed forces
Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by Omen100(m): 10:06am On Jan 28, 2013
made in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by inspirenet: 10:07am On Jan 28, 2013
emmasmiles: Naval are always ready I luv dem joor

smiley
Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by valicious1(m): 10:08am On Jan 28, 2013
The naval spokesperson is a born hardened LIAR. The Nigerian navy I know would NEVER Plead with any policeman on earth in situations like this. He s just twisting the story to generate public sentiments on their favour.

2 Likes

Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by CohenJane: 10:09am On Jan 28, 2013
boss-man:
What a dumb explanation from the naval authority. We can cook up stories to defend anything. Gosh!

This is exactly what happened to me last Friday. The Guy cooked up the story at the police station, I couldn't believe my ears. Now, I have learnt my lessons: learn to cook stories rather than fighting.
Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by DidiLove1: 10:10am On Jan 28, 2013
Mcdugull: Any pictures of the fight ?

U'd stand around to take pictures? With all that mayhem?
Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by akatonero(m): 10:10am On Jan 28, 2013
Malu grin grin grin
Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by LagosBoi2(m): 10:10am On Jan 28, 2013
police too dey over do things, dem for wait for fire 4 fire na.
Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by Nobody: 10:11am On Jan 28, 2013
Na so dem go take protect the civilians?. Oya let's blame GEJ once again.
Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by Nobody: 10:11am On Jan 28, 2013
JUST SHOWS THAT NO MAN DEAD OR ALIVE CAN CORRECT US NIGERIANS. ALWAYS BEEN CROOKED AND WILL REMAIN CROOKED TILL THY KINGDOM COME. NOT EVEN HITLER CAN STRAIGHTEN US. THE SAME SET OF PEOPLE TRYING TO ENFORCE LAWS ARE THE SAME ONES BREAKING THEM. WHAT KIND OF RUBBISH IS THAT.
Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by grafikii: 10:11am On Jan 28, 2013
grin
grin
Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by Sesebele: 10:13am On Jan 28, 2013
joblessness dey worry dem.
Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by yuzedo: 10:13am On Jan 28, 2013
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by olu4life(m): 10:15am On Jan 28, 2013
LMAO,cant stop laughing at the story. E good for those yeye police sef. Dem wan flex muscle wey no dey there.
Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by pekelepekele(m): 10:15am On Jan 28, 2013
I thought there is no Road blocks in Nigeria anymore? All these agbero called police won't stop at surprising us
Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by holluwai(m): 10:16am On Jan 28, 2013
You really have a good which o

mosho2good: I which I could be d refree of d fight

4 Likes

Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by MANOSUB(m): 10:16am On Jan 28, 2013
Must they retaliate with violence.

2 Likes

Re: Police, Naval Men Clash In Lagos by Nobody: 10:18am On Jan 28, 2013
WHEN IS NIGERIAN NAVY RECRUITING?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tambuwal Seeks America's Help In Governorship Election / ‘Sacked’ Osinbajo’s Aides Not In Humanitarian Ministry / Reps Seek Emergency Declaration On Ritual Killings, Blame Nollywood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.