Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,644 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez (15867 Views)

Racism: South African Blacks Are Weak / Blacks Are Generally Being Slaughtered In Libya---obama Remain Silent. / Interesting Article, Destroying Myth Most Blacks Are On Welfare. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by Godmann(m): 2:31pm On Feb 01, 2013
The fact is that the what the black man has passed through had made him inferior. Whether it was calculated by the Whites or not is another story.

To those that claim we should hold our leaders responsible; I say who imposed those leaders on us?

The very emergence of the new order of today, where those that abandoned our culture for the Whiteman's education became the new elites and the new leaders is an overthrow of our natural leaders in the first place; let alone the numerous imposed leaders by the whites. The elimination of our leaders "in several overt and covert ways" by Western interest have denied us the opportunity to have our leaders that can be accountable to us.

Read up about the emergence of Idi Amin, Mugabe, Mobutu, even our own Tafawa Belewa and Sarduna to understand who these whites refused us our leaders. In Nigeria, Sarduna and Belewa was groomed by the British in order to stop ZIK and Awo. Gowon was groomed by them. Buhari and Idiagbon was frustrated out of power. They worked with IBB to rubbish our economy. They eliminated Abacha b/c he was taking away their economic hold on us.

During the War, they planned every move by the Nigerian side and frustrated the emergence of Biafra.

Tell me how these people cannot be held accountable for our bad fate?

If you know about the slave trade (Go watch the film - Root); you will further appreciate what we are saying.

The Whites are responsible for our evil fate; but we also have the capacity to change it if we are serious enough

3 Likes

Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by graceng: 2:32pm On Feb 01, 2013
This is soooo true,even the African Americans try hard to show they are not but then if you, stand for you at any time and every other race does the same, we(including the generations unborn)would know that we are different and very wonderful the way we are. But no,we want to fit in the others shoe and still tell them we look better in it undecided
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by KayDee4: 2:32pm On Feb 01, 2013

4 Likes

Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by agitator: 2:32pm On Feb 01, 2013
KINGwax: it's typical, the black race are natural-born-blame-shifters!!! U jes need to blame someone for ur mismanagements!
The whites tot u all u need to knw, there lies no point in blaming them. Where in all ur studies were u tot d whites are superior?
Our former leaders were tot by whites, sent on scholarship abroad, did they come back to tell u their classes were different from their white counterpart? Were they tot a diff thing from the others in class?
Yet, from all indication, it appears that those who were being tot by whites appear a little smarter.
Our past leaders had grt visions for ds country. Visions dt wld av plcaed us in the right way. Policies not diff from wot was learnt abroad, until u lots come wit ur blackish mentality and corrupted evrytn.
Our past leaders fought the whitish domonation, u lots embrace it. u dropped ur culture for theirs, wanted to talk like them and all dt. Sometin our grt leaders fought against. Yet, they were trained by the colonial masters and u, forfeiting everytin to ur 'tryin to be superior' mentality, destroyed africa.
With the little knwldge in education. Policies in line wit culture wld av made us greater. Jes like our leaders did.
Pls, stop ds propaganda and strife to uphold ur culture. Stand on ur own and biliv in wot african tradition does.
Fightin the whites, blaming them, is in itself an act of cowardice. Hence, a brother to inferiority!!!!

Thank for saying the truth my bro. The judges sentencing little thieves to many 10 and above years in prison and big thieves to less than 2 years in prison are they whites? The judge that acquitted ibori of all criminal charges maybe he is white and a black judge corrected the mistake in London.
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by KayDee4: 2:36pm On Feb 01, 2013
~Bluetooth:

The last time I checked japanese,chinese and koreans don't look black to me.every black man on earth has been condemned simply because of their skin color including obama.

Thomas Edison's teacher told him he was too stupid to learn anything, that didn't put him down.

Albert Einstein was dumb for a long time in his early years and rejected by schools, that didnt make him feel inferior.

Unfortunately, terrible things happen and people often find themselves in bad situations, how we react to it is what matters. Yes, the white men went ahead of blacks to invent modern technology, is that supposed to make us go and hang ?
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by Nobody: 2:38pm On Feb 01, 2013
Babzilla:
BUT THEY HAVE BEEN SUBJECT TO RACIAL ABUSE AND THE SAME TREATMENT AS BLACKS. THE DIFFERENCE IS THEY REFUSED TO ACCEPT THE THEORY THAT THEY WERE INFERIOR.
From slavery to colonization. . . .just show me one race that has been more oppressed than the blacks.The chinese didn't suffer what the blacks experience except if they suffer what South Africa passed through in the hands of the dutch.
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by Nobody: 2:44pm On Feb 01, 2013
Kay-Dee:

Thomas Edison's teacher told him he was too stupid to learn anything, that didn't put him down.

Albert Einstein was dumb for a long time in his early years and rejected by schools, that didnt make him feel inferior.

Unfortunately, terrible things happen and people often find themselves in bad situations, how we react to it is what matters. Yes, the white men went ahead of blacks to invent modern technology, is that supposed to make us go and hang ?

If you've gone outside Nigeria for once,you will know racial segragtion still exists against blacks.We all saw what obama passed through before becoming president of the US;being assaulted even by D Trump.You switch on your tv to watch socccer and the next you see fans chanting at a blackman simply cuz he tried to prove himself better than an average blackman in the jungle of Africa.You can't change the facts on ground and I hate being hypocritical to maintain a status quo on racial segregation against blacks.

1 Like

Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by KayDee4: 2:46pm On Feb 01, 2013
If someone tells you you're stup1d and you believe it, then you probably are.

From the video, I didn't get the dude's final point and who takes the final blame for the 'miseducation'.

In this modern day and age, if a child is miseducated to feel inferior then the parents or guardians should take blame for not teaching them the right thing.

Yeah, our forefathers may have been brainwashed in 18kpridim but we've come a long way from that era and that should be no excuse for our current failures to make the most of what we have or who we are.

I'm glad he called out African leaders as the people responsible for reorienting the so-called brainwashed people in some ways that he mentioned.

However, I don't agree with some of his points:

- I don't know what the problem is with the Americans nicknaming their country "God's own country" They made their land 'beautiful' and named it that way. Nothing or no one stops us from building our country the same way and naming it "heaven" or "paradise".

- I don't see any problem with people preferring to go to school abroad. The difference in educational system is clear; they invest a lot of money in there, nothing stops us from stepping up our game in that regard.

. . . and so on.

For a long time now, black kids have been taught they are kings and queens who can grow up to become doctors and engineers in spite of anything; sorry for whoever chooses to look down on himself.
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by cheddarking(m): 2:51pm On Feb 01, 2013
~Bluetooth:

If you've gone outside Nigeria for once,you will know racial segragtion still exists against blacks.We all saw what obama passed through before becoming president of the US;being assaulted even by D Trump.You switch on your tv to watch socccer and the next you see fans chanting at a blackman simply cuz he tried to prove himself better than an average blackman in the jungle of Africa.You can't change the facts on ground and I hate being hypocritical to maintain a status quo on racial segregation against blacks.

I live outside Nigeria in a country where 2 Nigerians are Members of Paliarment and a Nigerian is the Mayor of a town.

I live in a country where Jamaicans, Indians, and Pakistanis have been elected into positions of political power.

I live in a country where the only thing that holds you back is YOU.

Please shutup about racial segregation...There are neighborhoods here in London where White English people are the ones being racially abused...
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by KayDee4: 2:52pm On Feb 01, 2013
~Bluetooth:

I live in the deep south and I know what you mean by racial segregation, sure it exists but are we going to run to mars or pull a Michael Jackson cos we are born black ?

Obama went through all that and still made it to the top, that should be a source of inspiration to blacks.

If I was a black man on the pitch and fans start chanting, as long as some one doesn't snipe me from there, it won't mean jack to me; Jozy Altidore showed people how to respond to racist fans this week.
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by Xfactoria: 3:01pm On Feb 01, 2013
fellis: ^That isn't just a theory. Black people are actually covertly being taught to believe that they are inferior mostly through the use of mass media. How many times have you actually seen any of these major foreign television stations potray Africa in a good light? It is always one depressing story or another. If they are not broadcasting news about the wars in some African countries then they are showing images or footage of starving and dying poor Africans.
Even when it comes to giving awards for literary work, you would notice that it is mostly the African authors that write on the darker sides of their countries that get international renown ( Chimamanda for instance). There are deliberate attempts to keep Africans down by downplaying their successes and highlighting their failures, that is the truth it is not a theory.

I agree with the part in bold.

However, let us look at things dispassionately, how many good stuffs are there to report about Africa? How many? Who stopped us from having our own media and showcase what we have got to offer the world? We should stop all this victim mentality.

Believe it or not, Whites are superior to Blacks not in terms of intellectual capacity but in terms of organization and collective responsibility. When we make comparisons, we are always tempted to reduce it to intellectual capacity alone and that is not where the difference lies.

There is something about us black people in every parts of the world. Our lack of organization and inability to act for collective interests are our greatest debacles. That is why greed is so grounded in us. Black people in the US, Haiti, Columbia, Brazil, Barbados, UK behave like their brothers in Africa, if not even worse. When you get to a black neighborhood in those countries, you will know you are in a different place. Some have attributed the difference to poverty but I do not agree. In Brooklyn, NYC for example, the streets are always littered with dirts just like you would find in Ibadan, Nigeria even when there are empty waste baskets everywhere and the people love it. They are cool with it.

Selfless leadership is very rare among blacks. It is our nature to always put personal interest above collective interests. In many black settings, the number of people who don't care about how things go always outnumber the number who really desires progress and this is true for all black communities in the world.

May God help us.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by fili24: 3:03pm On Feb 01, 2013
We don't need to keep blaming the whites for everything, CORRUPTION is the major problem in African countries
Our leader's should do the right thing first, instead of looting & embezzling funds.
Africa leader's are greedy. They accumulate wealth all over the world. Until there's a
change in the system...I see no future for Africa sad angry
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by Anvaller: 3:26pm On Feb 01, 2013
Krucifax: Inferiority complex as a trait is normally borne of personal character first before any outside influences become involved.

With regards to the Black thing, i think the Inferiority Complex mentioned in this thread applies mainly to "some" Blacks in White dominated Societies i.e Europe,North America, etc. If you have lived abroad (out of Africa) for a long time, you will notice there is a subtle but striking difference between Blacks who grew up in Africa and Black who grew up in the West!

I'll use myself as an example,born in the U.K but grew up in Nigeria before returning to the U.K. Someone like me grew up seeing Black Doctors,Engineers,Lawyer,Police,Politicians, etc basically Blacks running things and in control. This perspective formed my character therefore i grew up and walked round with my head held up with confidence and self-belief!

This is very different from a Black child who grew up in the West perhaps with an innate character of confidence but surrounded by events and a society that treats him and people like him like second class never-do-wells! After a while the child starts to believe that and it starts to mold his character. Only strong parenting can prevent this coupled with a personal strength of character!

This evidence is around for your to see in Educational and Entrepreneurial statistics one group has the belief and even expectation to do well,another group wants to do as they are told. It's not an easy phenomena to fight thats for sure!

In fact very accurate point... I don't even know what else to add... that is just exactly the way it is.
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by obi123: 3:36pm On Feb 01, 2013
fellis: ^That isn't just a theory. Black people are actually covertly being taught to believe that they are inferior mostly through the use of mass media. How many times have you actually seen any of these major foreign television stations potray Africa in a good light? It is always one depressing story or another. If they are not broadcasting news about the wars in some African countries then they are showing images or footage of starving and dying poor Africans.
Even when it comes to giving awards for literary work, you would notice that it is mostly the African authors that write on the darker sides of their countries that get international renown ( Chimamanda for instance). There are deliberate attempts to keep Africans down by downplaying their successes and highlighting their failures, that is the truth it is not a theory.

And what is the response when these so called foreigners portray us in bad light ? absolutely nothing ,
We cant wait for them to blow our trumpets , we have to blow it ourselves,there are a lot of high achieving Africans , a lot i say, but for some reason we dont hear of them , Mass media in Africa is absolute rubbish, so all we get are foreigners doing our PR for us,we let foreigners tell us about our own Africa , which is a shame.
We need educative documentaries ,books, articles on the History and Beauty of Africa , travel programs, we need to invite people to experience the positive Africa , we need brand champions.
Even the world is sick of the same old same old same stories emanating for the continent - war , corruption, epidemic, red cross
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by Nobody: 3:58pm On Feb 01, 2013
~Bluetooth:

The last time I checked japanese,chinese and koreans don't look black to me.every black man on earth has been condemned simply because of their skin color including obama.

MAYBE THE PROBLEM WITH US BLACKS IS THAT WE FEEL WE NEED 2 BE RESPECTED WITHOUT EARNING IT. TRUTH IS THEREMIS NO EASY WAY 2 SUCCESS. EVEN THE SO CALLED SUPERIOR COUNTRIES HAD THEIR CHALLENGES AND STILL DO TODAY. BUT THEY LEARN FROM THEIR MISTAKES, WORK HARD, AND THINK OF WAYS 2 GO TO THE NEXT LEVEL. WE ONTHE OTHER HAND WANT DEVELOPMENT, RESPECT WE WANT TO BE RECOGNIZED WITHOUT WORKING HARD 2 EARN IT.
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by Awoofawo(m): 4:00pm On Feb 01, 2013
iebelieve: @braine, this is No theories....its so really..and i totally agree with d school of thought....
Dr. Umez's thoughts have historical proves.there is a document called d mandate dat was supposedly given to all d first african missionaries of the 1890s..and it was carelessly misplaved by one of d misionaries in kenya.........: d document in synopsis states:
1.teach them(africans) to read and not to reason.
2.teach them to focus and keep lookng unto the sky and neva into d ground
3. Teach them to believe in a supreme God and not their gods...
ETC
etc
Inother words, d whites or colonial masters used religion to tactically get into d blackman land, they just taught our grand fore fathers to read, and dat was mainly the bible.they taught d 3Rs ...Read, Write and aRithmetics.....while our grandfore fathers exerted all their energies studyng the bible, d whites excerted all their energies developing scientifically.if u observe careful, most of the worlds invention were in d 1890 to the 1900s....
Til today, our schl curricum is built by them, evaluated by their methods and so on...and this is why there is a great difference bwteen our schls and theirs.

I 've d copy of the mandate in my inbox...i can send it to u if u're interested.....

@caps: if u 've any means of linking to Dr, umes, pls let me knw..i did like to follow and contribute my tots on hw to reshape d brainwashed minds of africans.

I have read the said manifesto but don't have a copy of it. Our education system had programmed from the beginning to fail base on the facts you just pointed out. The irony in all these is that in ignorance we fail to realize that Africa is actually the birth place of science and technology! Ancient Egyptian are not white but black just like you and me.
We have been brain-washed to point that we totally lose sight of our past glories as originators of modern technological glories!
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by huninaija(f): 4:23pm On Feb 01, 2013
I wasn't able to watch the video, but this is definitley true! The black man has suffered oo choi and continues to suffer! embarassed
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by Nobody: 4:27pm On Feb 01, 2013
huni_naija: I wasn't able to watch the video, but this is definitley true! The black man has suffered oo choi and continues to suffer! embarassed
..... because HE CHOOSES TO SUFFER

1 Like

Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by huninaija(f): 4:30pm On Feb 01, 2013
Babzilla:
..... because HE CHOOSES TO SUFFER

I agree with you sha.. But what are the necessary steps needed to avert even more suffering and gnashing of teeth for the black man? I'm tired oo cry
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by fio(m): 4:35pm On Feb 01, 2013
as blacks we have alot, i mean, alot of problems. this is just one of them
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by adexsimply(m): 4:47pm On Feb 01, 2013
Awoofawo:

I have read the said manifesto but don't have a copy of it. Our education system had programmed from the beginning to fail base on the facts you just pointed out. The irony in all these is that in ignorance we fail to realize that Africa is actually the birth place of science and technology! Ancient Egyptian are not white but black just like you and me.
We have been brain-washed to point that we totally lose sight of our past glories as originators of modern technological glories!
we are not being brainwashed,it is past glories like the one i bold-en above that are making us live reckless and self-satisfied life

1 Like

Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by adexsimply(m): 4:47pm On Feb 01, 2013
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by adexsimply(m): 4:49pm On Feb 01, 2013
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by litgirl22: 4:50pm On Feb 01, 2013
I've been reading a few articles here and there. One thing Africans need to do is stop calling themselves black.

People might read this and think that I am suggesting that we deny who we are but look up "black" in the dictionary aside from references to ethnicity:

Of the Color Black
dirty/soiled
absence of light
thoroughly sinister/evil
Indicative of condemnation or discredit
connected with or invoking the supernatural and especially the devil
very sad, gloomy or calamitous
marked by the occurence of disaster
characterized by hostility and angry discontent
characterized by grim, distorted or grotesque satire.

These meanings are lifed from merriam Webster. While Africans are characterized by a very deep brown or ebony color, the connotations and hidden meanings of black, in addition to the reference to color was given to us by the western Europeans. Worse, we have kept this word and have formed slogans saying we are "proud" to be it. Why wouldn't we be misfortuned when we subconsiously imbibe a negative term?

Ironically other groups such as asians reject their color label of yellow. We have more of a reason for doing the same but we don't.

Are we really black of heart and soul and the inhabitants of a dark continent?

Notice that the only other race with a color label are Europeans (white), and for very good reason.

We seriously don't know how brainwashed we are.

5 Likes

Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by Nobody: 4:57pm On Feb 01, 2013
huni_naija:

I agree with you sha.. But what are the necessary steps needed to avert even more suffering and gnashing of teeth for the black man? I'm tired oo cry
IT STARTS WITH BELIEF BELIEF THAT YOU ARE BETTER THAN YOU ARE AND THAT YOU CAN ACHIEVE MORE.THEN FOLLOWING SUCH BELIEFS WITH ACTION. NOT WAITING 4 IMF, WORLD BANK ON SOME SHYLOCK INVESTORS TO COME HAND U PEANUTS.
DONT CRY MA WE'LL GET THERE GRADUALLY.

1 Like

Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by adexsimply(m): 5:01pm On Feb 01, 2013
Babzilla:
IT STARTS WITH BELIEF BELIEF THAT YOU ARE BETTER THAN YOU ARE AND THAT YOU CAN ACHIEVE MORE.THEN FOLLOWING SUCH BELIEFS WITH ACTION. NOT WAITING 4 IMF, WORLD BANK ON SOME SHYLOCK INVESTORS TO COME HAND U PEANUTS.
that means u are deceiving urself bro
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by litgirl22: 5:01pm On Feb 01, 2013
One thing I have noticed here on Nairaland is that people are much more passionate and loving about their African and innate identities such as Igbo, Yoruba, hausa and so on.

When we identify with black however we are much more quicker about denigrating ourselves, quick to condemn ourselves and list every bad thing that is associated with Africans.

What does this tell you? in our souls we know the word "black" is nothing more than an evil word.
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by huninaija(f): 5:04pm On Feb 01, 2013
Babzilla:

To be honest i think the black race is finished! We're in too deep! And i'm not being pessimistic! embarassed
Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by Nobody: 5:18pm On Feb 01, 2013
cheddarking: Absolute rubbish.

The truth of the matter is while blacks have been repressed for centuries, many black people REFUSE to take responsibility for themselves and their actions -eager to blame the white man for their woes like Dr Umez here...

These days, the only thing that holds you back is you...regardless of your skin colour.

It is you that is full of rubbish and garbage. You and the rest of the predictable stream of instinctive bodyguards for the 'white man' that have come in here to attack the speaker.

If you weren't so eager to play arch-defender of whitey, you would have noticed that Dr Umez was NOT actually blaming the whites, but blaming the blacks! Throughout that speech.

For instance, he condemns the way our leaders like to bank their money overseas rather than in Africa, send their kids overseas rather than at home etc etc.

He condemned the way we instinctively prefer foreign products to those made by our own.

He condemned the way some of us say things like ''the white man is a spirit'' when admiring some of their technological output. I've heard this garbage uttered many times myself, so he's saying the truth.

He says WE should stop thinking like that AND DEVELOP THE CONSCIOUSNESS that we are JUST AS GOOD AND CAPABLE as any other race. He then goes on to suggest we CHANGE OUR EDUCATIONAl system TO REFLECT this CAN DO ATTITUDE.

He tasks us to look at how other nations invest seriously in RESEARCH and DEVELEOPMENT and says WE SHOULD DO THE SAME..

I mean, how does ANY OF THIS constitute ''blaming the white man'', if not that you're programmed like a robot to stand in defence of 'the white man' at every occasion??

2 Likes

Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by litgirl22: 5:28pm On Feb 01, 2013
On an objective basis the English word "black" is an antithesis to "white". people naturally find it inferior as well.

Thus, when a group of people accept to be 'black' and another accept to be 'white' who will embody the superior and honorable characteristics to outsiders?

Makes no difference if the 'white' group is bad in reality. Their status and outlook on the outside would attract admiration from others, period.

We africans know the importance of naming ceremonies. Would you name your daughter ashawo, try to put a positive spin on the name (2 no avail) and expect people to respect her? Lol would you expect her to respect herself?

3 Likes

Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by claremont(m): 5:33pm On Feb 01, 2013
cheddarking: Absolute rubbish.

The truth of the matter is while blacks have been repressed for centuries, many black people REFUSE to take responsibility for themselves and their actions -eager to blame the white man for their woes like Dr Umez here...

These days, the only thing that holds you back is you...regardless of your skin colour.
Absolutely ON POINT! I can't believe that in this day and age, people still blame another racial group for their own personal misfortune in life.

1 Like

Re: Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez by Nobody: 5:35pm On Feb 01, 2013
litgirl22: On an objective basis the English word "black" is an antithesis to "white". people naturally find it inferior as well.

Thus, when a group of people accept to be 'black' and another accept to be 'white' who will embody the superior and honorable characteristics to outsiders?

Makes no difference if the 'white' group is bad in reality. Their status and outlook on the outside would attract admiration from others, period.

We africans know the importance of naming ceremonies. Would you name your daughter ashawo, try to put a positive spin on the name (2 no avail) and expect people to respect her? Lol would you expect her to respect herself?

The equation of white with goodness and purity and black with evil is a very recent western invention. Probably no more recent than the 17th century. A mere drop in our 30,000 year history.

In pre-colonial African societies, white was regarded as the colour of the devil. Evil came in the form of a white mask and/or white facial/bodily ornamentation.

All the ancient gods and deities revered by millions across the world were originally depicted as black - Buddha, Osiris, Isis, Horus, Krishna, Mary, Jesus et al. The Jewish bible describes Jesus as having ''hair like wool and feet like burnished brass'', meaning a black person. So the idea that white is good and black is bad is a very dubious, 300 year old concept that flies in the face of recorded human history streching back several tens of thousands of years.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ukraine War: Poland Says It Will Manage Without Russian Gas / Israel Resumes Combat Against Hamas / War In Sudan: Over 9 Million People Displaced

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.