Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,263 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

Why You Didn't Get That Job. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why You Didn't Get That Job. (792 Views)

7 Things To Consider Before Taking Up That Job / Be Brave And Quit That Job Now.....a Personal Story!!! / Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why You Didn't Get That Job. by hienyimba(m): 4:02am On Jan 31, 2013
Surfing job boards for your next job is like going to a Christmas sale at Shopprite — you are settling for what’s available to absolutely everyone, and you are competing with absolutely everyone to get it.

In a thought-provoking article in Forbes on “ The Six Enemies of Greatness (and Happiness) , “ Jessica Hagy lists “Availability” as enemy number one. She writes, “We often settle for what’s available, and what’s available isn’t always great.”
It’s fine to surf the job boards, but to find a great job, you probably need to do more.

Not one of the 14 people who work for my company answered a job advertisement. There’s a reason for that; we’ve never run a job ad for our internal jobs. We run ads all the time for our clients, but not for ourselves. When it’s time to hire, our employees recommend people they know who might be agood fit.

Admittedly, we have huge networks of contacts, but think about how this relates toyour search.

If your job search was a quiet little process where you sat in your living room, only surfing job ads, you would never contact us — even if you knew you wanted to work here. And we might never approach you if we already had other qualified candidates who expressed interest. Our network helps us hire great people very consistently, but if you never connected with us, you would not even be considered.

If you found a way to connect with anyone who works in my firm, we’d definitely remember you the next time we had an opening. In fact, we were aware of many of the people we hired long before there was a job opening. I usually start talking with people months before we’re ready to hire. I often talk to great people even when I have no intention of hiring — and occasionally I hire them anyway. In that way, our jobs are often filled before they are even open.

[url=yolpe.com]Lots of hiring happens informally. To get an inside track on all the jobs that are not advertised, invest time in building your career network . When you have a great network, you won’t have to stand in line with everyone else—employers will let you in first.[/url]

1 Like

Re: Why You Didn't Get That Job. by hienyimba(m): 5:03am On Feb 03, 2013
ttyl
Re: Why You Didn't Get That Job. by hienyimba(m): 2:08am On Feb 09, 2013
also, make these changes to your resume. so that when all works out, you wouldnt be found wanting
https://www.nairaland.com/1168691/5-important-changes-resume-needs

(1) (Reply)

Web Graphics/website Designer In Lagos / Job Vacancies / Ism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.