Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,485 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 (1590 Views)

N-Power Beneficiaries Didn't Get Shortlisted For FCSC? / 5 Solid Reasons Why You Didn't Hear Back From The Interviewers/recruiters / How I Got A Job In This RECESSION (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 by topsquino(m): 8:31am On Jan 01, 2015
Believe it or not, one recent study just found out that the vast majority of Nigerian youths are suffering from a blend of frustration, depression and melancholia as they find it increasingly difficult to secure themselves with a job in the terrifying labour market. Because of this unemployment epidemic, a swath of graduates believe that some diabolical forces unknown to them are responsible for their ordeal; some even argued that the discriminatory criteria, such as age limit and level of experience, required by most employers have patently dug a huge lacuna into their prospect of applying for jobs. But are these the chief reasons why many John, Akpan, and Tunde didn’t get a job in 2014?

Research shows that even though there are so many elusive factors why many potential employees are still jobless, the overarching grounds abetting this pervasive joblessness are in three manifolds.

The most important reason is that, in 2014, the number of jobs created by employers is far less than the population of the job applicants. Besides the employment programmes , such as the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme (SURE-P) and the Youth Enterprise With Innovation In Nigeria (YOU-WIN), that have been created by government to ameliorate this menace, It is estimated that over 40 million Nigerian youth are still unemployed, according to Mr Olusegun Oshinowo, the Director General of Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association (NECA). And forecasting from the midyear report released by the National Bureau of Statistics, not more than 2 million jobs were created in Nigeria last year, a figure which obviously can’t tame the current scourge. This evince that searching for a job in Nigeria is tantamount to searching for a chimera. Indeed, the cold, hard truth still remains: only some fortunate, brainy, smart, or highly influential job applicants can be anointed with these insufficient jobs.

Another reason why many graduates did not get a job last year is that they have little or no ‘connections’ to circumvent the rigors of the labour market. It is no news that the word ‘connections’ has become the current euphemism for corruption in Nigeria, no thanks to the help of tribalism, ethnicity, nepotism and religiosity stoking this inequitable flame. Last year, under the shroud of going to church or mosque, or knowing some key personalities, many graduates secured a job through this medium. Not forgetting that, out of desperation to get a job, some girls even sacrificed their dignity through fornication or infidelity. What’s more, some boys forwent their integrity, engaging in illicit acts. It is crazy world. But who cares? Whether connection is good or not, many graduates will continue to use this artifice until perhaps a sincere government is installed.

The last reason is that many Nigerian youths, including several unemployed graduates, are lazy. They want to work for any multinational firms; nonetheless, they neither want to prepare for job test nor work for themselves. Findings have revealed that most graduates don’t know even what they want for themselves; perhaps they just want to make quick money like Wizkid. It also revealed that only those that know what they want and have shown unwaveringly dedication to their dreams got a mind-blowing job in 2014. More simply, only the hardworking, smart, valiant youths are certain of getting a job in this present landscape
It all appears that the only provident antidote for this unemployment virus is simply a fair government. And this year elections will be a major fate changer. If Nigerians vote for tyrant elites, of course, their spate of joblessness has just begun. But if they choose otherwise, voting for more compassionate leaders – who knows – Nigeria can become the next Dubai of Africa. Well, time will tell as the outcome depends on the citizenries.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 by IamNanas(m): 8:37am On Jan 01, 2015
[sup][/sup]Good write up SPACE BOOKED
Re: Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 by Janedoe26(f): 8:51am On Jan 01, 2015
Truth!
Re: Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 by Poindexter: 8:56am On Jan 01, 2015
Its a new year, seek out new ways! if your old ways were not producing results, its on you to improve or find alternatives.

Maybe you shouldnt be looking for a job, maybe, you should be creating jobs.
Re: Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 by SirHouloo(m): 9:29am On Jan 01, 2015
There is nothing as good as self made billionaires.... Though you still have to make your cash before you make your cash work for you.
Re: Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 by yorex2011: 9:48am On Jan 01, 2015
Nw the entrepreneurship people go come in...

3 Likes

Re: Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 by dotexxxy(m): 10:28am On Jan 01, 2015
good stuff
Re: Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 by Benjom(m): 12:45pm On Jan 01, 2015
You're right to some extent.

1 Share

Re: Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 by sholay2011(m): 12:52pm On Jan 01, 2015
Hmmmm...

I smell front page.
Re: Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 by freshness2020: 1:06pm On Jan 01, 2015
Just found a way out of my own problems! Those ended in 2014! I just gave myself target in the first quarter of 2015! GOD's willing, I will come out great!

1 Like

Re: Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 by deleib(m): 1:18pm On Jan 01, 2015
Terrific write-up! New year with new dimension of job-seeking!
Re: Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 by Maczeelly(m): 1:18pm On Jan 01, 2015
Yeah but 2015 is my YEAR of BREAKTHROUGH
Re: Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 by topygel: 2:15pm On Jan 01, 2015
Realy, can our leaders ameliorate the spate of unemployment in Nigeria? Our major problem is selfishness and nepotism.

Nevertheless, this year is my year of multiple appointment
Re: Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 by KillerBeauty(f): 3:27pm On Jan 01, 2015
That Sure P and You Win stuff is just a scam

1 Like

Re: Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 by rattlesnake(m): 3:36pm On Jan 01, 2015
Village rocket propelled missile
Re: Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 by Kaiser96: 4:31pm On Jan 01, 2015
nice write-up...the rate of unemployment is soaring day by day.
Re: Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 by kakashi12(m): 7:49am On Jan 02, 2015
KillerBeauty:
i know people that got both
Re: Why You Didn't Get A Job In 2014 by chyna4luv: 10:30am On Jan 02, 2015
KillerBeauty:

Dear Killer Beauty,
Your write up makes me to comment. The sureP and Youwin stuff you talked about is not that scam. What you would have said was that, the programme is another NYSC for a year. It is not well organised in terms of compensation, salaries etc or maybe it is well organised but the people incharge of the programme are cutting the monies meant to be used to pay salary so as to make their selfish interest.

I applied for the sureP programme. I was discouraged when I heard about their pay of #25k, working condition where you can't leave if you get a better offer. You are not going to be matched with a job that is inline with your course of study. It is a year job after, you will remain unemployed again. They use to delay salaries for like 3 months.
So when I was invited for the lagos job fair 2014, I summoned courage to ignore it and I have a better offer now. GOD help this country.

Best Regards,

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Why Did I Go To School / Yetkem Educational Foundation Job Recruitment / Personal Assistant To Cleaning Company CEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.