Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,427 members, 7,822,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

Amd Turion Or Pentium: Which Is Better? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Amd Turion Or Pentium: Which Is Better? (1746 Views)

HELP : INTEL Core Vs AMD : Which Is Better ? / AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? / AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amd Turion Or Pentium: Which Is Better? by blackmann(m): 9:36am On Mar 07, 2008
Which processor is the best so far? I have some laptops for sale but one of my buyers said he will not buy because it is an AMD Turion, and that Pentium is better. Basically i don't see any difference in the two cos i feel it is the way one uses and takes care of the computer that matters. Any one who can advise pls?
Re: Amd Turion Or Pentium: Which Is Better? by pein(m): 12:10pm On Mar 07, 2008
It all depends on what ur goin to be using the laptops for.simple applications and u can go for either,for more cpu oriented applications then the pentium.the turions are quite slower than the pentiums but i am talking bout the dual core pentiums u shudnt go for anything less.the pentium D/celeron whateva shud be avoided.if thats what been offered then the turion is ur way to go but if ur offered dual cores,then the pentuim
Re: Amd Turion Or Pentium: Which Is Better? by crazylegs(m): 9:25am On Mar 11, 2008
I'm an AMD fan. People usually prefer Intel (Pentium) because its the more popular and identifiable brand name, but AMD's turions are very comparable. The Intels of the same ratings (i.e. processor speed and no of cores) are probably slightly better, but they are usually more expensive. People are paying a premium for the brand name.

And you are right. Most people just need something to browse and type word documents. Anything will do. Just take care of your machine. You could try explaining this to him.
Re: Amd Turion Or Pentium: Which Is Better? by stzee(m): 4:03pm On Mar 11, 2008
in the ranking of processors, celeron is rated low, second to Pentium on the intel processors chart, but the is a very slight difference.
Re: Amd Turion Or Pentium: Which Is Better? by hayprof(m): 4:46pm On Mar 11, 2008
I have used a AMD from onset . . . It good and responds fast. I will recommend it for any1. cool
Re: Amd Turion Or Pentium: Which Is Better? by mmonwuba(m): 9:10pm On Mar 11, 2008
I have an opportunity of handling so many types of laptops and i have come to the conclusion that the pentiums are better than the AMDs especially when running high end processor intensive programs. One of my programs when run on an AMD, usually almost freezes the system, but the same software on a pentium system does quite beautifully. Here im comparing AMD turion2 with Intel Core 2DUO. The difference is very clear. But for the everyday compuetr users (check your mail and type a memo) the are the same.

1 Like

Re: Amd Turion Or Pentium: Which Is Better? by zaibatsu(m): 2:49pm On Mar 12, 2008
Present day realities show the Pentium range of processors outpacing AMD in EVERY area; both tests and real-world computing.
Google Super-Pi, install it and run it on your Pentium and AMD machines. The Pentium wins everytime.
Recently, Intel began producing processors using the 45nm process (Penryn); AMD's Phenom processors are still playing catch-
up. Bottom line go for a pentium. It's the current fastest gun.
Re: Amd Turion Or Pentium: Which Is Better? by 3dhunter(m): 3:00pm On Mar 12, 2008
can arguments be based on facts pls. Their are sites online that ran tests . you can search for them and read through
Re: Amd Turion Or Pentium: Which Is Better? by crazylegs(m): 4:22pm On Mar 12, 2008
Posted by: 3d_hunter
Insert Quote
can arguments be based on facts please. Their are sites online that ran tests

"Pentium" doesn't really mean much nowadays. When you compare Intel's Core2Duo with AMD's Turion64X2, the Core2Duo beats it hands down according to benchmarks shown online.
http://farenf./2007/12/28/benchmark-mobile-processor/

But benchmarks are not everything. From my *cough cough* not insignificant experience using both, for simple tasks (typing, watching videos) the difference is hardly noticeable. When you start heavy stuff (video editing etc.) the core2duo is much more stable.

I still prefer AMD. They are much cheaper and more than enough for most things
Re: Amd Turion Or Pentium: Which Is Better? by TOYOSI20(f): 10:15pm On Mar 12, 2008
@ All,

I truly was well informed by all ur posts,

Good to know, . . . , . . . . . . . . , . . . . . . . . , . . , smiley
Re: Amd Turion Or Pentium: Which Is Better? by moonraker(m): 5:42pm On Oct 10, 2008
i have an amd turion as one of my laptops and i have done real life test
in comparion with the pentium dual core ( that is if thats what yur comparing the turion to)

technically speaking, an amd turion (whether dual core or single core), is equal to the pentiums.
this is becos, a pentium dual core is basically an underpowered core2duo.
Re: Amd Turion Or Pentium: Which Is Better? by Djcn: 6:57pm On Oct 10, 2008
It's very good that everyone has something to say. Everyone with different views and ideas. I think the argument should be between AMD and Intel cos the pentiums is already history. Turions perform better than any pentium system, cos they employ different technoloy and are of different processor generation. It'll make more sense comparing comparing the duo core with the turions. turions are still been developed and now we have the Turion Ultra which is a high end mobile chip.
Re: Amd Turion Or Pentium: Which Is Better? by iyk1(m): 10:05pm On Oct 11, 2008
generally intels are more on the high side but apart from that intel pentiums kick off faster than the amd turion but in terms of graphics performance this is regardless of the graphics card amd some some chipsets that supports better graphics performance comparing amd turion ultra x2 to the latest pentium dualcore,since they are both dualcores amd has mmx, 3dnow and 2mb cache size makes it more rugged but produces more heat but their integrated graphics is outstanding,

intel pentium with intel media integrated graphics card gives you a very good performance but definately not better graphics

so in terms of graphics, its AMD

(1) (Reply)

I Cant Download Movies / I Jst Turned Down A Hp15 8gigram 750gb Corei5@75k Bcus It Doesnt Have A Cd Drive / Gamers in the house. WHAT IS A GRAPHICS CARD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.