Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,038 members, 7,818,067 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

Camry Keeps Condemning Tyres Within 2 Months - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Camry Keeps Condemning Tyres Within 2 Months (1764 Views)

ASWMA Vehicle Spotted With Two Of Its Tyres Missing (photos) / What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / PHOTO: Fully Loaded Cement Truck Spotted Cruising At Lekki With Tyres Missing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Camry Keeps Condemning Tyres Within 2 Months by gabrieli(m): 4:16pm On Jan 31, 2013
Dear all,

I have a big challenge with my 99 model camry, this is a car i have been using for 4 years without major issues until recently. The front passenger tyre has been going bad too often lately(deformed). Initially, i thought it was because the replacement has always been tokunboh tyre. But recently i replaced it with a new tyre and still discovered it went bad within 2 months, i also observed the following:
1. when i make a deep right turning on motion, the steering does not return to normal position unless i guided it back, and i also noticed that the tyre tend to slip on the road during the right turning.
2. The car accelerating speed has reduced which has now lead to increase fuel consumption because it seems the car is moving with some hinderance

I started noticing the problems stated under point 1 & 2 above after i replaced my tye rods and the hubs sometimes ago, i have changed the rods again thinking that wrong sizes were used. Also i have done alignment about 3 times with no improvement. Now both the mechanic and alignment guys keep pushing me back and forth. I have made up my mind to visit another mechanic for re- assessment.

Guys, please, i just need your advice to guide me with the new mechanic i am going to complain to. Those who might have experieced such could also enlighten me on what to do.
Re: Camry Keeps Condemning Tyres Within 2 Months by achinaboy(m): 6:43pm On Jan 31, 2013
just wheel balancing will do the trick
Re: Camry Keeps Condemning Tyres Within 2 Months by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jan 31, 2013
@gabrielli
well since you said the wheel alignment have been done and your vehicle is still problematic,then it might likely be due to misalign chasis.
Re: Camry Keeps Condemning Tyres Within 2 Months by yungboss(m): 10:24pm On Jan 31, 2013
Farayolas: @gabrielli
well since you said the wheel alignment have been done and your vehicle is still problematic,then it might likely be due to misalign chasis.
Re: Camry Keeps Condemning Tyres Within 2 Months by mdautotec(m): 11:09pm On Jan 31, 2013
Hello.
Wheel balancing will not fix this problem.

Since your the vehicle was first functioning fine before replacing the wheel hubs and tie rods, get a qualified mechanic to remove the wheel hubs and check the bearing. This vehicle uses a removable one piece (permanent) bearing that should always be removed and installed by a hub press rather than a hammer. Failure to do so may deform the wheel hub unit. At the same time have the old original (faulty I assume) wheel hubs present to confirm they are identical to the replacement ones. I assume your mechanic has fixed fairly used wheel hubs.

Even a slight difference in hub position will throw off the alignment measurement because if the mounting hole on the steering knuckle where the tie rod tightens is pushed forward or backward (positive or negative caster) the factory designed tie rod cannot fit, it will seem to be the wrong length. There may be a possibility your mechanic may have used a different length tie rod to compensate. All this will amount to abnormal tire wear you are complaining of.

Incorrect wheel hubs will change the positive caster (alignment measurement) setting to negative. This in the will not allow the steering wheel to return to its position by default once the steering is released. All vehicles suspensions systems on today's roads have a positive caster setting applied from factory. This is the reason why the steering wheel returns without guidance.

Since you do not have any engine performance issues I am not in a position to say what exactly your mechanic did, but it sounds to me that there may be a possibility of binding causing drag (wheel bearing, incorrect hub). This places more load on the engine; hence the excess fuel consumption issue.

Try any amount of wheel alignment it will not solve your issue. The geometry of your suspension is out of manufacturer's specification. Get a good tech to tear down the front wheel hub/knuckle assembly, check all components replaced, including all the ball joints. Do have all your old components replaced present for comparison. Once checked and rectified, perform another wheel alignment and balance. Keep your tire pressure (cold) at 32 psi. All your issues will be resolved.

It should be relatively straight forward to diagnose and rectify!

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Camry Keeps Condemning Tyres Within 2 Months by gabrieli(m): 10:34pm On Feb 01, 2013
md_autotec: Hello.
Wheel balancing will not fix this problem.

Since your the vehicle was first functioning fine before replacing the wheel hubs and tie rods, get a qualified mechanic to remove the wheel hubs and check the bearing. This vehicle uses a removable one piece (permanent) bearing that should always be removed and installed by a hub press rather than a hammer. Failure to do so may deform the wheel hub unit. At the same time have the old original (faulty I assume) wheel hubs present to confirm they are identical to the replacement ones. I assume your mechanic has fixed fairly used wheel hubs.

Even a slight difference in hub position will throw off the alignment measurement because if the mounting hole on the steering knuckle where the tie rod tightens is pushed forward or backward (positive or negative caster) the factory designed tie rod cannot fit, it will seem to be the wrong length. There may be a possibility your mechanic may have used a different length tie rod to compensate. All this will amount to abnormal tire wear you are complaining of.

Incorrect wheel hubs will change the positive caster (alignment measurement) setting to negative. This in the will not allow the steering wheel to return to its position by default once the steering is released. All vehicles suspensions systems on today's roads have a positive caster setting applied from factory. This is the reason why the steering wheel returns without guidance.

Since you do not have any engine performance issues I am not in a position to say what exactly your mechanic did, but it sounds to me that there may be a possibility of binding causing drag (wheel bearing, incorrect hub). This places more load on the engine; hence the excess fuel consumption issue.

Try any amount of wheel alignment it will not solve your issue. The geometry of your suspension is out of manufacturer's specification. Get a good tech to tear down the front wheel hub/knuckle assembly, check all components replaced, including all the ball joints. Do have all your old components replaced present for comparison. Once checked and rectified, perform another wheel alignment and balance. Keep your tire pressure (cold) at 32 psi. All your issues will be resolved.

It should be relatively straight forward to diagnose and rectify!

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Thanks very much for your indept analysis, i will be going to a mechanic in a couple of days, i will report back to the house so that others can pick one or two things from it
Re: Camry Keeps Condemning Tyres Within 2 Months by alphaconde(m): 6:53am On Feb 02, 2013
I think I have been through this. It was my stering box I changed and it all stop
Re: Camry Keeps Condemning Tyres Within 2 Months by gabrieli(m): 4:04pm On Feb 27, 2013
gabrieli:

Thanks very much for your indept analysis, i will be going to a mechanic in a couple of days, i will report back to the house so that others can pick one or two things from it

Thank you guys for your useful advice ( especially auto tec). Since my former mechanic could not resolve the problems after about 3 visit to his workshop, i made up mind to use another one, good enough, the new one was quick to discover that the cause of the problem was the wrong size of the hub fixed by the previous mechanic. The hub was subsequently replaced again and allignment done, the problem of the steering not returning disappeared. The car speed has improved greatly, and i will monitor the fuel consumption for the next 2 weeks to know the effect.
Though, i do feel a slight vibration from the car/engine when accelerating,but it will stop once i reach top speed. The new mechanic said it was due to a bad shaft cup, he will work on this immediatly i have the time.

Thanks you guys for your concern and efforts.
Re: Camry Keeps Condemning Tyres Within 2 Months by yungboss(m): 1:05am On Feb 28, 2013
congrats brother, happy that you have resolved it...my God! but some mechanics are very subtractive by the manner they work! I have a neighbor who has a Mazda 626, whose car a mechanic has totalled due to incompetence.

(1) (Reply)

Automobile Engineering Training / Neat Tokumbo Volkswagen Sharan Cars. SOLD SOLD SOLD / How Reliable Are The Volkswagen Lt Bus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.