Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,093 members, 7,818,278 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

Tithe Is Illegal - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithe Is Illegal (1128 Views)

Any Church Who Is Collecting Tithe Is Not A Church, But A Synagogue / The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything / Tithe: Is It Compulsory For Christians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tithe Is Illegal by Nobody: 10:23am On Feb 02, 2013
Dont be startled by this subject cos its the truth.i remember i used to be a tither even as a student cos my then pastor of a branch of rccg told me that as long as money enters ur pocket 10percent of it was God's.i did what i thought was "God's" will to the detriment of my health cos i had typhoid and couldnt pay for medication as my monthly pocket money from my uncle(parents dead)couldnt cater for my feeding alone cos tithe had taken most of it.i struggled with that burden until i started asking questions and luckily for me my brother gave me a samsung multimedia;that kept me surfing the internet where i came across several articles that clearly shows that tithing is not a christian doctrine and practice.google search for "THE TITHE IS ILLEGAL" written by gary amirault.devote your time to reading it and ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free from the babylonian catholic and protestant churches that need to be protested against.read it before you comment otherwise you will still be on the my pastor said...my pastor said side.thank you.
Re: Tithe Is Illegal by destones: 11:12am On Feb 02, 2013
How I wish we can all go out there and liberate people about this gospel truth.
Re: Tithe Is Illegal by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 02, 2013
de_stones: How I wish we can all go out there and liberate people about this gospel truth.
thanks de_stone.christians are 2 lazy 2 read the bible themselves,instead they give that assignment to conmen who twist scriptures and tell them what they want to hear to get what they want from them.
Re: Tithe Is Illegal by PastorKun(m): 3:32pm On Feb 02, 2013
Segeggs: Dont be startled by this subject cos its the truth.i remember i used to be a tither even as a student cos my then pastor of a branch of rccg told me that as long as money enters ur pocket 10percent of it was God's.i did what i thought was "God's" will to the detriment of my health cos i had typhoid and couldnt pay for medication as my monthly pocket money from my uncle(parents dead)couldnt cater for my feeding alone cos tithe had taken most of it.i struggled with that burden until i started asking questions and luckily for me my brother gave me a samsung multimedia;that kept me surfing the internet where i came across several articles that clearly shows that tithing is not a christian doctrine and practice.google search for "THE TITHE IS ILLEGAL" written by gary amirault.devote your time to reading it and ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free from the babylonian catholic and protestant churches that need to be protested against.read it before you comment otherwise you will still be on the my pastor said...my pastor said side.thank you.

Congratulations on your being set free from this fraudulent doctrine that is being used to rip off believers, I hope you would continue to endeavour to share this truth you have now discovered with other brethen who are being serially raped and abused in the name of tithes.

1 Like

Re: Tithe Is Illegal by Goshen360(m): 5:45pm On Feb 02, 2013
One by one, the tithe captives will be set free. It's just a matter of time. There's nothing like tithe for Christians. What Christians are left with is giving. Tithing ended in Hebrews 7, go and study your Bible.
Re: Tithe Is Illegal by tpia5: 3:21pm On Jul 11, 2013
you're anti-tithe on one thread, then in another you're begging christians to help you get a laptop.

are they supposed to donate a laptop for you out of their own money, or are you expecting a church to use the donations of other members to help you?

you can try muslim section, maybe they can help you?
Re: Tithe Is Illegal by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jul 11, 2013
tpia@:
you're anti-tithe on one thread, then in another you're begging christians to help you get a laptop.

are they supposed to donate a laptop for you out of their own money, or are you expecting a church to use the donations of other members to help you?

you can try muslim section, maybe they can help you?
you are double funny. For your info, i wasnt asking a church for help, i was asking christians.
Re: Tithe Is Illegal by Paulscholari(m): 5:09pm On Jul 11, 2013
I cant blame you..you can boldly say tithing is illegal since no one is paying tithe into your account..later now u wil go to church and start singing abrahams blessings are mine..lol..mtcheww
Re: Tithe Is Illegal by AlfaSeltzer(m): 5:41pm On Jul 11, 2013
You must pay it if you want to remain a christian. To stop paying tithe is the first step towards Satan. We would naturally want you to stop going to church and paying tithes, but the decision is yours.
Re: Tithe Is Illegal by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jul 11, 2013
Paulscholari: I cant blame you..you can boldly say tithing is illegal since no one is paying tithe into your account..later now u wil go to church and start singing abrahams blessings are mine..lol..mtcheww

what was his blessings for paying tithe? Smh
Re: Tithe Is Illegal by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jul 11, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: You must pay it if you want to remain a christian. To stop paying tithe is the first step towards Satan. We would naturally want you to stop going to church and paying tithes, but the decision is yours.
look at a satanist trying to lure me back to christendom slavery which i am well aware of is controlled by your master the deciever. As far as am concerned, the bible doesnt support christian tithing and church going or not doesnt mean you are/arent a christian.

1 Like

Re: Tithe Is Illegal by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 11, 2013
Now this is a funny one....how is tithe illegal?

Well, in my books, tithe is not illegal!
Re: Tithe Is Illegal by Horus(m): 7:16pm On Jul 11, 2013
Segeggs: Dont be startled by this subject cos its the truth.i remember i used to be a tither even as a student cos my then pastor of a branch of rccg told me that as long as money enters ur pocket 10percent of it was God's.i did what i thought was "God's" will to the detriment of my health cos i had typhoid and couldnt pay for medication as my monthly pocket money from my uncle(parents dead)couldnt cater for my feeding alone cos tithe had taken most of it.i struggled with that burden until i started asking questions and luckily for me my brother gave me a samsung multimedia;that kept me surfing the internet where i came across several articles that clearly shows that tithing is not a christian doctrine and practice.google search for "THE TITHE IS ILLEGAL" written by gary amirault.devote your time to reading it and ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free from the babylonian catholic and protestant churches that need to be protested against.read it before you comment otherwise you will still be on the my pastor said...my pastor said side.thank you.

Yes Tithe is illegal, and here is a proof: found in Matthew 10:8-10:

“Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give. Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses, nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.”

Yes Christians should stop giving tithe!!, it is illegal. Jesus never took from his congregation. He never passed around a basket or tray to receive pledges and donations at the end of each sermon. He never asked for a payment. Nor did he ever tell his disciples to accept money for their assistance as found in Matthew 10:8-10:
Re: Tithe Is Illegal by Paulscholari(m): 8:22pm On Jul 11, 2013
Segeggs: what was his blessings for paying tithe? Smh
even the government of your country collect tax to develop the community.
Same applies to the church, if you dont pay then u are breaking the rules and i guess you know what happens to those that break the rules.
Re: Tithe Is Illegal by DrummaBoy(m): 9:59pm On Jul 11, 2013
The Tithe is Illegal

by Gary Amirault

When I say "illegal," I certainly do not mean from the government’s point of view. The American federal government has been extremely generous in allowing religious organizations almost free hands in their money raising endeavors, even to the point of giving them many kinds of tax advantages. By illegal, I mean that God never authorized Christian leaders to take a tithe from God’s people. One will not find the modern church tithe authorized in the Old Covenant, nor in the New Covenant. Certainly, church historians are in agreement, when they say that tithing was not practiced by the early believers.

The tithe is a subject that is very dear to most church leaders. Those denominations that can get their members to actually bring in a full 10% of gross income can create very powerful forces far beyond their strength in numbers. The leading "tithing" sects according to an article in Christian Ministry, are interestingly what Evangelicals would term "cults." The Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, and the World Wide Church of God are the leading givers. The fourth is the Assemblies of God. Recently, the World Wide Church of God abandoned the tithe as un-Scriptural. Donations dropped 30 per cent in the first year. (While the article in Christian Ministry lists the Jehovah's Witneses among leading tithing denominations, I've since been informed by that organization that Jehovah's Witnesses do not practice tithing.)

According to Newsweek, most church members give far less than 10%, most giving under 2 per cent. Not surprising is the fact that the poor give a far greater portion of their income than the rich. USA Today (Oct. 25, 1990) tells us that families earning less than $10,000 give 5.5 per cent of their income to charity (not necessarily to church). Families earning between $50,000 and $60,000 give only 1.7% of their earnings.

We hope to show in this book that while many church fund-raising organizations and Christian financial counseling ministries tell us that not paying "the tithe" is robbing God, the actual Biblical facts are that those who teach tithing as a Christian doctrine are, in fact, the ones who are "robbing God." As we go through this article, keep in mind the above statistic that the poor far out-give the rich percentage-wise.

I am going to make a statement that will probably shock many Christians who have been in church for a long period of time and feel they know the Bible pretty well. I hope this statement encourages the reader to "see for themselves" that this statement is 100 per cent Biblically true. My hope is that when we see how far off Scriptural ground we have come in such basic Christian teachings as giving, we will renew our desire to study to "show ourselves approved." Here is the statement: The tithe as taught by most Christian denominations as being 10 per cent of gross or net income is not contained on the pages of the Bible!

Many Christian publications say that those who do not tithe are robbing God and will suffer curses for not doing so. I am going to use one of them as an example of what Scriptures and reasoning are usually used to support the idea that the church is full of God robbers, that is, people who do not tithe 10 per cent of their income.

A booklet entitled Tithes, Offering, and Alms states: "Today many churches do not teach tithing because they do not want to drive people away. In reality they are robbing God’s people of their blessing. When tithing is not taught, they are allowing their people to ignorantly rob God. By this they allow the devourer to have free access to their people. Then the church and the people wonder why they are not being blessed. When God’s people return again unto God, He will return unto them as He has promised."

By this minister’s own reasoning then, the Churches of the world are full of "God-robbers." The vast majority of Christians do not even come close to giving ten per cent of their income. Most churches are overflowing with "God-robbers."

While this booklet Tithes, Offerings, and Alms deals with more than just the tithe, we will only focus on the tithe since that is the subject of this article.

I am not mentioning the author of this work hoping in days ahead he will see the foolishness of what he wrote.

In one small paragraph, this minister condemned to the devourer entire congregations who do not tithe. As long as people do not tithe, he says, they have turned their backs to God and He cannot bless them. They are God robbers! The booklet I just quoted is very typical of publications like this. They all refer to the same handful of Scriptures to justify their position.

I will use this one as an example of which Scriptures are used to support their view and then show how these Scriptures have not only been grossly taken out of context, but even these Scriptures out of context do not support the teaching of tithing being 10% of income.

We will then study the history of tithing in the Old Testament, the early church view on the subject, and what we believe is the correct Biblical view on giving.

What Saith the Scriptures?

Those who teach that Christians are obligated to tithe can be categorized into two main groups: 1. those who say we are still under the Mosaic Law or portions of it; 2. those who say the tithe is part of the Abrahamic Covenant which is pre-Mosaic. The latter group says the Abrahamic Covenant, being a covenant of faith, is valid for the church. They say Abraham was a tither. Therefore, we should tithe.

Let us deal first with the pre-Mosaic arguments. This teaching is used by those ministries who have taught the Mosaic Law is done away with and therefore cannot be put upon Christians. They are correct regarding the Mosaic Law having passed away.

(We cannot get into this subject fully because it would take up too much space, but a handful of Scriptures might be helpful to those who disagree on this point. See 2 Cor. 3:11,13; Hebrews 8:13; Gal. 4:21-26; really all of Galatians and Hebrews.)

Briefly, the Old Covenant (Mosaic Covenant) was a two-sided agreement between Israel and Yahweh in which Yahweh would bless them if they kept their part of the agreement and He would curse them if they didn’t. It was an all or nothing package. A person was not allowed to turn this agreement into a smorgasbord, picking and choosing what suited one’s religious diet. They could not choose what to keep and what to throw out. James 2:10 tells us that "whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all."

Almost all denominations of Christianity have taken portions of the Mosaic Covenant, "Christened them," and added them to the New Covenant. Without being aware of it, this has made most Christians guilty of the whole Mosaic Law, which says it all must be kept. At the same time, they have "fallen from grace" because of mixing it with a covenant which no longer serves a purpose for those under the New Covenant. This is not to say that we cannot learn many wonderful truths from the Mosaic Law. We are just no longer in covenantal relationship with God through that covenant. We are in covenantal relationship with God through a New Covenant ratified by Jesus Christ, not Moses.

The fact that most denominations of Christendom have not understood this vital point has caused us to fall from "grace through faith," the very power of the New Covenant itself. What is tragic is that most Christians are not even aware of this "falling away" which has been going on for hundreds of years. Most denominations have mixed the Mosaic Covenant instituted by Moses with the New Covenant, which is the Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus. (Rom. 8:2) One covenant brought death (and always will); the other brought Life. If you believe any of the Old Covenant is still binding to a believer in Christ, read what Paul has to say in 2 Corinthians chapter three verses four through eighteen about the cornerstone of the Mosaic Covenant, that is, the Ten Commandments. This should cure anyone of binding themselves to the "ministry of death." The consequences of this mixture have been catastrophic. A careful non-biased survey of church history should reveal what this mixture has produced. While this paper is not about Mosaic Law versus Grace, I felt the subject had to be touched somewhat. Back to the subject at hand.

Is the "tithe" Pre-Mosaic?

Now let us deal with the teaching that says that the Biblical tithe was pre-Mosaic.

Abel

The first place we come across offerings of any kind is in Genesis 4:3-7. Cain brought forth an offering from the fruit of the ground to the LORD and Abel brought the firstborn of his flock and of their fat. The LORD respected Abel and his offering, but He did not respect Cain and his offering, which caused Cain to become very angry.

Most Christians who teach tithing would also consider themselves Bible literalists, that is, they are opposed to "spiritualizing" the Scriptures. However, when we get down to some of their pet doctrines, we find that literalists often quickly abandon their "literalism" and "spiritualize."

In Genesis 4:3, the passage mentioned above, there is not a hint as to the amount being offered. Both fruit of the ground and flocks are acceptable offerings. One could point out that Abel brought blood and Cain did not. One could perhaps make something of the fact that Abel gave of his "first-born" while nothing is said about Cain’s offering. We could attempt to "spiritualize" here, but if we let the Scripture stand as it is with a "literal" interpretation, we do not have a "Biblical tithe" here. We have two offerings; one acceptable—one unacceptable.

Abraham

We have to travel 2000 years ahead in history to find another trace of offerings to the LORD. We come to Abraham and His offering to Melchizedek, the king of Salem. I want to make an emphatic point here as we analyze this portion of Scripture. As I said before, literalists are not very literal. If true "spiritual" understanding comes from a "literal" approach, then Scriptures such as the following do not make much sense: "But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are "spiritually discerned." (1 Cor. 2:14) If the Bible can be understood with the natural mind using a "literalist" approach to the Bible, then the above Scripture is not true. The fact is, the Scriptures and the things of God need to be "spiritually discerned." They are "foolishness" to the "natural mind." Even Christians can be naturally, carnally, fleshly minded. "And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ." (1 Cor. 3:1) A Christian, while claiming to be a literalist, who finds himself having to add to or subtract from Scriptures to make them fit into their doctrines, is still very carnal. The next portion of Scripture we will look at will bear this out.

There are those who say that, while we are not under the Mosaic Law, we Christians, are children of faith. Our father in this faith is Abraham. (So far so good.) Then comes the nice little carnal step which shows how unliteral "literalists" can be. They say that Abraham was a tither and therefore we must be tithers. Well, let us be literalists for a moment and look at that Scripture to see what it "literally" says.

The 14th Chapter of Genesis deals with a battle between 9 kings, five against four. The first part of Chapter 14, is very difficult to understand. The King James Bible does not tell us, but the Jewish Bible called the Tanakh (which is the Old Testament) tells us that some of the meaning of the Hebrew in this Chapter is uncertain. (It seems the Jews are more honest in their translating than some Christian Bible translators.)

Abram, with 318 of his men, went after the four kings who spoiled the king of Sodom and the king of Gomorrah. Abram defeated the kings, and set his nephew Lot free. On the way back with all the spoils of war, the king of Sodom met Abram in the king’s valley. Here a mysterious king of Salem, priest of the God Most High, brought out bread and wine and blessed Abram. Abram then gave a tenth of those spoils to Melchizedek.

At this point, the king of Sodom told Abram to take everything except the people. It is not clear in the text whose goods and people are involved here. The armies which Abram defeated had attacked several other kingdoms before they spoiled Sodom and Gomorrah. When Abram defeated them, he must have collected a tremendous amount of wealth plus people which could be turned into slaves.

For the rest of the article: http://www.tentmaker.org/books/TheTitheisIllegal.html
Re: Tithe Is Illegal by Blofeld(m): 8:11am On Jul 29, 2013
I've gone through this article before now. it's quite revealing. The modern day Church has so much financial needs and use Malachi 3 as a leverage. The tithe is actually a scam and a good number of tithe supporters do not know the truth. That notwithstanding, a real Christian should give liberally to support the work of God but the idea of a strict percentage is dubious.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Weird Pastor Declares, “jesus Is Not The Saviour And Did Not Die For Anyone” / Should A Born Again Christian Baptise By Imersion Twice? / 10 Thing That Cannot Take Us To Heaven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.