Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,392 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

Medicine Vs Engineering. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Medicine Vs Engineering. (5752 Views)

Medicine VS Software Engineering/programming / Esut College Of Medicine Students Asked To Vacate Hostel, Campus / A Must Read!! Medicine Vs Veterinary Medicine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medicine Vs Engineering. by Minorsegment: 2:16am On Feb 03, 2013
This question has been bothering me for quite a long time. I'm still in high school preparing for my final exams to get my o'level certificate. I would like to sit for Jamb also but I'm still having the problem of choosing the course to pursue in d uni. These two courses have been ringing in my mind and I don't know which one to go for. I'm equipped to go for any of them but I still need to know how what I would be facing looks like if I applied for both. Please my fellow Nairalanders, of these two courses, could you tell me which is more complicated and logical as your answers would help me in having a career kick off? I'm really desperate to know your opinions cos they would help me make wise decisions while filling my Jamb form. Thanks!!!
Re: Medicine Vs Engineering. by folawuyo: 7:00am On Feb 03, 2013
guy, go for engineering coz ur chance of medicine is 30perc, y because all those south uni, doesn't gv anyhow peeps medicine to study, dn if u wnt 2 go 4 medicine, u hv 2 go nd gt some cash to run it.
Re: Medicine Vs Engineering. by Walexy96: 9:16am On Feb 03, 2013
To study medicine u hav to be extraordinary good that's just it.
Re: Medicine Vs Engineering. by Lagusta(m): 1:54pm On Feb 03, 2013
Now let's get this straight....

If you are good at calculating and constructing stuff, then engineering calls you, because you need lots of mathematics (especially further maths) and physics, (maybe chemistry too, if u wanna do chemical engineering)

But if you can quickly observe things and make quick decisions, and act fast, then medicine and surgery is good for you, with a background knowledge of physics, chemistry and biology...

Now someone said medical students are extra-good or something, I terribly disagree, cos the real geniuses are those that calculate a lot, we are just good at observing things and make rational decisions about them, that's all....

Thanx!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Medicine Vs Engineering. by Walexy96: 2:24pm On Feb 03, 2013
For him to gain admission with ease if he choose medicine that's I give him such advice, because high grade is usually require to study medicine
Lagusta: Now let's get this straight....

If you are good at calculating and constructing stuff, then engineering calls you, because you need lots of mathematics (especially further maths) and physics, (maybe chemistry too, if u wanna do chemical engineering)

But if you can quickly observe things and make quick decisions, and act fast, then medicine and surgery is good for you, with a background knowledge of physics, chemistry and biology...

Now someone said medical students are extra-good or something, I terribly disagree, cos the real geniuses are those that calculate a lot, we are just good at observing things and make rational decisions about them, that's all....

Thanx!!!!!
Re: Medicine Vs Engineering. by Syenite(m): 3:01pm On Feb 03, 2013
I give you 3 scenerios here:

1) For porpose of gaining admission: Engineering is better or easier. Lower cut-off compared with Medicine. There are several engineering courses: Mechanical, Electrical/Electronics, Civil, Petroleum, Chemical, Metalurgical & Materials, Mining, Computer, Production etc. That requires u to take English, Maths, Chemistry and Physics in Jamb. If u dnt get a particular engineering course of choice u can have option of other engineering courses and also sciences like Geology, Geophysics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Physics etc, bc they also take Maths, Chemistry and Physics as Jamb requirements. However if u apply for Medicine, u take English, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, if u dnt get Medicine u will have other options like: Pharmacy, Biochemistry,Geology, Anatomy, Microbiology, Botany, Zoology etc. U can see that engineering has better alternatives

2) Engineering is more lucrative in Nigeria than Medicine but Medical doctors are more likely to secure jobs or get self employed. In engineering u can hit it big or u can also live a frustrated life of Joblessness, brain drain or underemployment.

3) The 3rd scenerio has been stated by Lagusta.

In my time I applied for Chemical engineering but landed in Geology. I am a Geologist today working with a major Oil Company.

THE CHOICE IS YOURS.
Re: Medicine Vs Engineering. by Lagusta(m): 4:12pm On Feb 03, 2013
Syenite: I give you 3 scenerios here:

1) For porpose of gaining admission: Engineering is better or easier. Lower cut-off compared with Medicine. There are several engineering courses: Mechanical, Electrical/Electronics, Civil, Petroleum, Chemical, Metalurgical & Materials, Mining, Computer, Production etc. That requires u to take English, Maths, Chemistry and Physics in Jamb. If u dnt get a particular engineering course of choice u can have option of other engineering courses and also sciences like Geology, Geophysics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Physics etc, bc they also take Maths, Chemistry and Physics as Jamb requirements. However if u apply for Medicine, u take English, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, if u dnt get Medicine u will have other options like: Pharmacy, Biochemistry,Geology, Anatomy, Microbiology, Botany, Zoology etc. U can see that engineering has better alternatives

2) Engineering is more lucrative in Nigeria than Medicine but Medical doctors are more likely to secure jobs or get self employed. In engineering u can hit it big or u can also live a frustrated life of Joblessness, brain drain or underemployment.

In my time I applied for Chemical engineering but landed in Geology. I am a Geologist today working with a major Oil Company.

THE CHOICE IS YOURS.

Love this 10million times!!!
Re: Medicine Vs Engineering. by Idacrux: 8:55am On Feb 04, 2013
Choose both
Re: Medicine Vs Engineering. by ameristu: 2:06pm On Feb 04, 2013
I studied Electrical Engineering. I wish I can go back to schhol to studey medicine.
Doctors make double the money that engineers make and with medicine you can easily get a job outside the shores of Nigeria and be a top citizen of the country.
Go for medicine if you can get in and engineering as a Plan B
Re: Medicine Vs Engineering. by sublimes: 4:36pm On Feb 04, 2013
ameristu: I studied Electrical Engineering. I wish I can go back to schhol to studey medicine.
Doctors make double the money that engineers make and with medicine you can easily get a job outside the shores of Nigeria and be a top citizen of the country.
Go for medicine if you can get in and engineering as a Plan B
Guy, I believe your colleagues who work in the oil and gas companies would object to your statement. Just pray to be engaged in a good engineering coy, you will enjoy engineering to the core! I am enjoying engineering.
Re: Medicine Vs Engineering. by Lagusta(m): 5:15pm On Feb 04, 2013
@OP, please NEVER choose a course because of the money please, because you will regret it forever...

Like I said before, if you are good at calculating, go for engineering, but if you are good at observation and making rational decisions, then medicine suits you well....

Money comes only from GOD Almighty, so pray for HIS blessings, and He will grant it for you by His Grace!!!!

Ok...
Re: Medicine Vs Engineering. by Minorsegment: 7:09pm On Feb 04, 2013
folawuyo: guy, go for engineering coz ur chance of medicine is 30perc, y because all those south uni, doesn't gv anyhow peeps medicine to study, dn if u wnt 2 go 4 medicine, u hv 2 go nd gt some cash to run it.
tnk you
Re: Medicine Vs Engineering. by Minorsegment: 7:12pm On Feb 04, 2013
Lagusta: Now let's get this straight....

Thanx!!!!!
I love this. Thanks to you
Re: Medicine Vs Engineering. by Minorsegment: 7:15pm On Feb 04, 2013

THE CHOICE IS YOURS.
thank you sir
Re: Medicine Vs Engineering. by Minorsegment: 7:18pm On Feb 04, 2013

THE CHOICE IS YOURS.
thank you sir

(1) (Reply)

Academy Tales / Nigerian Educational System. / Tension In The University Of Jos' Hostels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.