Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,537 members, 7,823,340 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up (9073 Views)

Why Nigerian Music Videos Cost So Much / Whatever Happened To Music Groups? / Can I Download Nigerian Music From the Internet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by naijawhist: 6:55am On Feb 03, 2013

Just recently, Wizkid expressed dissatisfaction with the Banky W led E.M.E records indicating strong intentions to dump his longtime friend Skales and new label mates, Niyola and Shaydeeboi whom their fans had seen as one big, strong musical family.

While this is still a shocker, observers and critics say splits and breakups in the Nigerian music industry has been in existence for a long time and will continue to happen in the ever evolving music scene.

Remember the famous D’banj – Don Jazzy / Mo’hits drama? Whoever thought that would happen. Even the now world famous 2Face Idibia was once a member of the Plantashun boiz and individuals and groups like Styl Plus, Eedris Abdulkareem, KC, P Square and Bracket have been through a time of splitting and patting ways in their musical careers.

These breakups usually confer great benefits to one party and major loss to the other party. However, in a few scenarios it has been of great benefit to the both parties that split.

Why would Wizkid leave E.M.E or P Square decide to part ways with May D? Join me as I try to unravel the motive behind such shocking acts.

As a lover, critic and observer of the Nigerian music industry for over 10 years, I’ve discovered the reason for the break ups is just over bloating egos and greed.

Pardon those harsh words. I’m still a fan and have got no beef for anybody. Let’s just look at the human emotions and how it has played a role in the new break up trend in the Naija music industry.

A boy has fine talents, raw and unrefined. He hooks up with a bigger and more experienced dude who agrees to nurture his musical career both financially and in other ways until he becomes a shining star only it’s not an act of kindness. To whom much is given, much is expected.

Anyway the boy then takes over as the cash cow of the family bringing in mega profits for the label but then he begins to see a problem with his initial contract. How come I’m making all the money and my boss is taking 60% and leaving me with a meager 40%? He begins to succumb to pressures from friends to quit and agrees that he’s been too loyal to his boss forgetting the deal he almost pleaded to get during his days of little beginning. He lets an initial lack of foresight, a now big ego plus pride and exuberance mar a once lovely working relationship.

Let’s look at the case of a naturally shy boss who is not yet ready for the international exposure his usually ambitious partner is running after. A difference in temperaments will definitely cause a friction which may lead to a split which goes on to affect other musicians under them. Well, both parties seem to be doing well but one cannot help but miss how these dudes complemented each other.

Now in the case of these dudes known for keeping their music business within their family, it came to me as a shocker that they would sign a relatively unknown act from another tribe who sings a different genre.

I always knew the relationship between the brothers and the “Sound track” crooner would never last and my silent thoughts played out into reality. Maybe they were scared of his rising profile or just felt the dude was not grateful enough for the fame they helped him get. Well, the dude has been making good use of his brief stint with the brothers and has moved on fast with the establishment of his own record label. In his mind, he’ll say I don’t care as far as I “Chop my money”.

Anyway, just as the music industry is constantly evolving, so will the once perceived unbreakable groups, artistes and labels part ways over disagreements on issues ranging from beef and jealousy, loyalty, profit splitting, failed promises, lack of foresight and even trivial issues. Remember this is Naija and anything can happen.

Source: [url]http://www.naijawhistle.com/why-nigerian-music-groups-breakup]

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by Mynd44: 7:46am On Feb 04, 2013
Nice write up

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by olaposer(m): 9:41am On Feb 04, 2013
That's just it,bravo
Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by jagabanban: 9:43am On Feb 04, 2013
If you have differences and cant reconcile, you go your separate ways. Happens anywhere and everywhere. Its business . . .

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by rushman003: 9:44am On Feb 04, 2013
you are very correct Mr Moderator! na wizkid own even suprise me pass... why on earth would he think of doing that after last year's breakthrough under Empire record and he should remember vividly that Banky was the man that brought him to limelight...... frm my own view sha! wish him the very best! he's stil my number 3 musician in nija after Psquare and 9ice.. shocked shocked tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by Nobody: 9:45am On Feb 04, 2013
6th to comment dancing alingo me think they break up mainly because of greed im case of wizkid
Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by fapcrook(m): 9:45am On Feb 04, 2013
Nice post
Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by seunfly: 9:47am On Feb 04, 2013
naijawhist:
I’ve discovered the reason for the break ups is just over bloating egos and greed.

A boy has fine talents, raw and unrefined. He hooks up with a bigger and more experienced dude who agrees to nurture his musical career both financially and in other ways until he becomes a shining star only it’s not an act of kindness. To whom much is given, much is expected.

Anyway the boy then takes over as the cash cow of the family bringing in mega profits for the label but then he begins to see a problem with his initial contract. How come I’m making all the money and my boss is taking 60% and leaving me with a meager 40%? He begins to succumb to pressures from friends to quit and agrees that he’s been too loyal to his boss forgetting the deal he almost pleaded to get during his days of little beginning. He lets an initial lack of foresight, a now big ego plus pride and exuberance mar a once lovely working relationship.

I may agree with u on other points but not on the one quoted above.
Why?
It is true that an established platform may discover raw talent and lunch him/her to the waiting world, but those platform usally pay less at the initial contract agreement due to:
1) The platform may not be sure of the marketability of the artist.
2) The artist may not have bargaining power as at the time of the initial contract.
3) The platform want to make more money on time to cover the initial cost of promotion and co.

Therefore the first contract of any raw talent is always twisted in favour of the parent company, but imediatly the artist has delivered, there used to be contract renegociation the will reflect the true artist opinion and the parent company but Nigeria's companies are so selfish, full of ego and greed that they always see u as if they ar doing u a favour therefore they kept on using u.
If bacelonia were to be an average Nigerian company, messi will still be earning what he signed in his early life but it's not suposed to be like that.

13 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by ohisola(f): 9:47am On Feb 04, 2013
Yea wat were u expecting. Truth is we r humans n we shldnt deceive ourselves. Irrespective of wat d contract says, there comes a time, wen these 'big boyz' shld kn that these once 'upcoming' artist hav paid their dues, and therefore, instead of seeing dem as money bags they shld see dem as partners, cos truth b told, wen dey spilt, its usually these 'big boyz' who lose d most. Cos dey (tmohe upcoming) move ahead and keep makin their mony

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by BlackPeni5: 9:48am On Feb 04, 2013
Break-ups are inevitable when artists crave bigger things. I don't agree that it is simply due to greed, but the desire to have something more than what is currently being offered.

I do not support that groups split on a sour note, but if you want something big, you must go out and get it and let go of all sentimental obstacles.

Though this is risky, but the higher the risk, the higher the reward.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by dridowu: 9:58am On Feb 04, 2013
Twenty children cannot play for twenty years, dy must go apart along d line either 4 good or bad
Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by wasiudvd(m): 10:09am On Feb 04, 2013
So because Barca made Messi what he is, the club management should see his request for contract re-negociation (pay rise) as greed.
Most Nigeria record labels r just inprofessional.

6 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by wasiudvd(m): 10:09am On Feb 04, 2013
So because Barca made Messi what he is, the club management should see his request for contract re-negociation (pay rise) as greed.
Most Nigeria record labels r just unprofessional.
Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by A2hakane1: 10:10am On Feb 04, 2013
What is good for the boss is good for the gandas

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by Nobody: 10:11am On Feb 04, 2013
One word "greed".
Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by vanstanzy(m): 10:14am On Feb 04, 2013
The reason can't be any different from why their foreign counterparts break-up. Like u said, over bloated ego, its human nature so its normal! undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by Nobody: 10:14am On Feb 04, 2013
rushman003: you are very correct Mr Moderator! na wizkid own even suprise me pass... why on earth would he think of doing that after last year's breakthrough under Empire record and he should remember vividly that Banky was the man that brought him to limelight...... frm my own view sha! wish him the very best! he's stil my number 3 musician in nija after Psquare and 9ice.. shocked shocked tongue

Which 9ice, so where is 2face? Anyway that's ur list...

My number 1 is Charly boy closely followed by Tonto dike.
Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by BlackPeni5: 10:17am On Feb 04, 2013
Brand_new: One word "greed".

If you were teaching in a school who provided you with your first employment, accomodation and with a salary of N20k.

Then suddenly, Mobil offers you a job, tell me you will be loyal to your school principal or perhaps you will be greedy.

Its common sense....

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by Nobody: 10:18am On Feb 04, 2013
Why Nigerian music groups break-up...Greed and Desire to go ''beyond borders''.
Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by Nobody: 10:19am On Feb 04, 2013
wasiudvd: So because Barca made Messi what he is, the club management should see his request for contract re-negociation (pay rise) as greed.
Most Nigeria record labels r just inprofessional.

Yea, they lack structure...

A business man should be flexible and keep the future in view. Even if Wizkid asks for 50-50, Banky W will still be the one to gain than letting the super star go.
Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by dotcomnamename: 10:19am On Feb 04, 2013
[size=20pt]Wizkid is the main problem. He is an ignorant and proud a lot. Who made him to this level of today? Why must you listen to friends and family simply because you're now whooping millions. After all it is Banky W who built and trained him to this level. Why must you bite the hand that feed you? Who recognize WIZKID before if not Banky W?

Thats why i hate most of them, once they carry them climb and eat beleful, dem go begin dey form...

Nonsense... [/size]sad

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by 5alive(m): 10:22am On Feb 04, 2013
me self want to break up now
Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by Okijajuju1(m): 10:32am On Feb 04, 2013
[b]Hmm...

I will not agree that it is because of greed.

So a Young man walking the streets with a demo CD in his pocket looking for someone to give him or her a shot is spotted by a music promoter who sees talent in this person and then brings him on boad his record label. Because these young artists are too desparate, illiterate and naive, these experienced Promoters give them a rather lopsided contract that can only best be described as a Monkey go work, Baboon go chop contract. Now for a young Artist with next to nothing in his or her pocket, the slight doubt that he/she may never make it in the music business, they are more than happy to jump at any opportuuinity even a bad one. Example remains Mr. Tuface Idibias Saga and the Plantashun Boys.

When Plantashun Boys started out way back in the 90's, I am sure those boys barely made any reasonable amount of money from their first Album which was nothing short of a hit. These boys have told stories of how they barely were able to feed back then.

[img]http://2.bp..com/-Jzw86bpa7-s/UNWD9U542vI/AAAAAAAACrw/DlfA0XQqKm4/s1600/Black+Face.jpg[/img]

The Duo of Keke and D1 spotted the main talent in the group, saw that he was also very naive and exploited it. They made Tuface an offer that as at that period in his life must have looked like heaven & earth ona platter. All he had to do was leave his group and go solo, then sign his life away to Kennis Music. He jumped at the opportunity and voila!!! the Tuface we all know today was born. He dropped the 'GRASS TO GRACE' album which as far as I am concerned was a multi-platinum selling album, won a shiitload of awards both home and abroad and his profile grew. As his profile grew, so did his knowledge of the inner workings of the music industry and that was when the scale fell off his eyes that he had signed away his life to Kennis Music. We all remember the fight to break free from that bond. Seeing where Tuface is today in his career, will you still call his move one borne out of greed or WISDOM?!

I say wisdom. REASON: If Tuface were still with his band (Plantshun Boys), he would not have been the big artist that he is today, If Tuface hadnt taken up that contract with Kennis Music, he would not have been exposed to a higher level of the music industry. If Tuface hadnt left Kennis Music, he would still have been a slave working and enriching his greedy record label. Its a win-win situation.

I hope that Wizkids move isnt premature.. However, if he stays under a record label that he isnt happy with, it would affect his music creativity, when that is affected, he would lose fans, losing fans means that he isnt bringing money into his record label anymore and then they will dump him.. By then, it would be too late for him. EME music has given him a launch pad, its time to build on the momentum he has gained.

In the end, this is all business, not personal.. [/b]

12 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by Okijajuju1(m): 10:33am On Feb 04, 2013
Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 04, 2013
GREED let me define it.
G- Goal
R- Reasoning
E- Enlightened
E- Expansion
D- Desperate
Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by BedLam: 10:35am On Feb 04, 2013
All of you tapping trash here that Wizkid is the main problem, maybe u should tell us how ungreedy your bosses are in your various places of work. truth is, THE NIGERIAN MAN HAS NEVER BEEN A GOOD BOSS! WIZKID DESERVES BETTER! ..........my nine piece!

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by Nobody: 10:40am On Feb 04, 2013
The reason many break-up talents wont shine for long, is this; The label and the management put so much time in administration, equipments procurements and shows arrangement which is purely a management field, leaving the talents with ample time to practice and fine-tune their pitch, tunes lyrics and rhetorics. Then the moment they split cos of greed, the entire managerial loads of work is on their shoulders leaving them little time for practice, on inspired tunes and lyrics which affects their outputs, then inevitable fall is not unexpected. WhizKid, is too young to earn too much, its not about talent alone, cos I am sure there are so much better talents out there searching for a Boss to turn them to gold. As always, the Bosses are creative think-tanks, they are always the winners in the end, although the break-up artist will put so much energy in proving to people he/she is doing better, the reverse is usually the case. The Music Industry is a make-believe abacadabra. Talents need nurture and management outside self.
Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by graceng: 10:41am On Feb 04, 2013
That's very true but at the same time,one can't keep being under the "boss" for eternity, even the apprentice in the market gets settled at a time. I think one vital truth the bosses always miss is the fact that this guy has to grow (be mature in his career) some day and needs to be settled amicably. That way,they'd part peacefully,there would be no case or gossip about it,cause it's just gonna be,the contract is over yeepee!!! So, the bosses should face their fears and reach an agreement then if anything happens, we'd know we are dealing with a breach in contract.
Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by Nobody: 10:41am On Feb 04, 2013
Many of them lose interest or get bored. Some can't get along with other members. Almost all music bands eventually go their own way undecided
Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by Oahray: 10:45am On Feb 04, 2013
First of all, I do not see it as a Nigerian music thing. What of the Beatles, Destiny's child, Westlife, Beyonce and her dad and many others?

I also do not agree that it's always and/or entirely because of greed. Its human nature to be selfish and want the best for ourselves. What happens when a musician discovers he has been shortchanged over time by his group or producer? That was the same thing that made Beyonce breakup with her dad as manager. Change makes the world go round.

*walks away singing 'faze alone'*
Re: Why Nigerian Music Groups Break-up by Ishilove: 10:51am On Feb 04, 2013
Okija_juju: Hmm...

[img]http://2.bp..com/-Jzw86bpa7-s/UNWD9U542vI/AAAAAAAACrw/DlfA0XQqKm4/s1600/Black+Face.jpg[/img]

Kai, see Tuface o! Na so so head head I dey see for hin body. God punish hunger. Thank God for his life today.

Where on earth is Blacface? Dat boy no get star at all. undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

*~ Mikuz Voted Music/Radio Section Poster Of The Year*~ Congratulations! / Ndokwa Special-prince Smart Williams -ndokwa Bama Mma & uwa Di Egwu / Are There Any Specialized Musical Schools/Institutions In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.