Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,076 members, 7,814,725 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa (10519 Views)

Charge Your Phone By Shouting At It / 'Galaxy Gear' Watch-like Phone By Samsung To Be Introduced Next Month / Lumia 925 Windows Phone By Nokia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by Bawss1(m): 12:14pm On Feb 07, 2013
claycares:

@ocelot2006, you don't have to go about insulting people in forums. Forums are meant to inform people sir.
When I said ailing companies I was not referring to Huawei but MS. My statement was based on these market trends - Windows phone is in decline, PC is also in decline and that's affecting PC makers including MS. This is as a result of high demand for smart phones and tablet PCs. Also see what's happening to Dell presently.

Compare market share for when Windows Phone was released and for 2012 then explain how that is a decline. If you don't know where to start see these links http://www.examiner.com/article/windows-phone-overtakes-blackberry-market-share http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-phone-market-share-on-the-up-doubles-to-54-in-europe-in-2012 http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyclay/2012/12/21/windows-phone-now-third-most-popular-platform-in-u-s/

Microsoft can hardly be described as ailing.
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by Bawss1(m): 12:19pm On Feb 07, 2013
BTW Claycares you seem to forget that the Huawei 4Afrika Phone is not designed as a premium or flagship device, its supposed to be mid level smartphone for Africans.
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:47pm On Feb 07, 2013
some how the "for Africans" manages to come across as derogatory.
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by jmaine: 3:20pm On Feb 07, 2013
4llerbuntu: some how the "for Africans" manages to come across as derogatory.

Yeah, i concur . . . .
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by Leopantro: 6:32pm On Feb 07, 2013
jmaine:

Yeah, i concur . . . .

Hallelujah. we finally agree on something. just came back from work to continue our discussion when I saw your post. remember when I said this

i'm
feeling insulted that they
have to make a dumb
phone just for Africa
because they suddenly
discovered a market here.
the other companies don't
care because they know no
matter what they make,
people will still buy their
products.

I didn't mean the windows phone was dumb. I meant they had to do dumb phone specifically for dumb Africans. no other phone company had that line of thought.

by the way, they have a commitment with Nokia in making phones and Nokia had unparallel success in Africa fire a long time and knows the market well. why didn't they ask Nokia to make a windows phone specifically for Africa? they didn't trust Nokia? Nokia still has a name and presence in Africa. Why use another company?
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by jmaine: 8:46pm On Feb 07, 2013
^

I didn't mean the windows phone was dumb. I meant they had to do dumb phone specifically for dumb Africans. no other phone company had that line of thought.

When you say a phone is dumb, folks might simply interpret it as falling way below the smartphone tag , and the WP iterations can never be classified as dumb , not even the WP8 version this phone comes with . . . .

The Huawei phone for Africa has the same specs with the version primed for other clime launch like Russia e.t.c . . .The African version specifically stated that it will come preloaded with selected apps tailored for Africa . . . . Wonder why they had to tag it for Africa undecided . . . .

by the way, they have a commitment with Nokia in making phones and Nokia had unparallel success in Africa fire a long time and knows the market well. why didn't they ask Nokia to make a windows phone specifically for Africa? they didn't trust Nokia? Nokia still has a name and presence in Africa. Why use another company?

Nokia is still at the fore front of microsoft WP ecosystem . . .Microsoft simply has a unique way it partners with various OEMs . . .The Lumia 620 by Nokia is an attempt to capture the low end market but Huawei price entry is threatening and interesting . .since competition favours the consumers, i feel it's a welcome development . . .

Below is Nokia and Microsoft strategic plan for Nigeria and Kenya . .At least the recognize the great market we have here . . .

Nokia and Windows Phone user training (Kenya and Nigeria): Microsoft has established agreements with Safaricom in Kenya and Bharti Airtel in Nigeria to accelerate local adoption of the Nokia Lumia 510 and Nokia Lumia 620 Windows Phones. In these markets, more than 90 percent of phones sold are feature phones, so through these agreements, Microsoft is funding in-store training for consumers who purchase these Nokia Lumia models on how the data plan works and its benefits, to help make these smartphones better understood and therefore more desirable for consumers.

http://www.techsuplex.com/2013/02/05/microsoft-partners-with-huawei-for-budget-windows-phone-8-smartphone-4africa/

Believe me, the Lumia 620 if adequately priced will be a thumper . . . .i have quite an interesting number of peeps eagerly waiting for that offering cos of Nokia unique products support . . .
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by jedisco(m): 9:18pm On Feb 07, 2013
@4ller

You need to chill cos you don't need to trade insults before you pass your point across.

You keep saying you're not a fanboy but everything you do shows you as one.
Take WP for example- from Lumia 900 (which you called a feature phone) to 920 which you spent almost 6 pages trying to show it was a failure. Go to symbian, asha and BB you have thesame track record.
You hate everything non-android. That's a fact.

I really don't get how used phones won't let this sell. You really overrate that market. If that was true, then there won't be mega shops all over the country that sell new phones. Nigeria does not revolve around you.
There are many people who don't buy used phones. BB has said most of their phones sold here are in the $400 range. Those are not used. I can't count upto 5 people I know who use 2nd hand phones.

Nokia 701 was given a retail price of €290 and launched at 50k here.
BB10 has not launched officially in Nigeria so any price you're seeing are like those of 250k we saw for iPhone 5 at launch.
So far I can only see a retail price of $150 which shouldn't exceed 30k.

Do those your refurbished phones stop your new androids from selling? Like I said Nigeria is bigger than you and your friends and over 95% of Nigerians I know use new phones. Your 80% figure is obviously false.

For all the talk about techno, I still see more ashas around. Nairaland hardly mirrors the situation of things in Nigeria.

Finally, I have no problem with android. I have problem with people who think everybody must use thesame phone they use.
Have you ever seen me on any android or BB thread trolling?

Just show me a major non-android thread over the last 3 months that you and your likes have not trolled on. That was what made me take a break from NL sometime ago cos it was pathetic.

You've still not answered what your first post has to do with this thread. Not everybody will use android. Get that into your head.

1 Like

Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by Francheezy(m): 9:26pm On Feb 07, 2013
did he actually say lumia 900 is a feature f0ne...men am disaPPointed.....if it waz bb, n0 pr0blem.
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by Leopantro: 9:45pm On Feb 07, 2013
okay, my bad on the dumb part.
what is the meaning of "feature phone" and why do they need to train people on data use on the phone?
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by jmaine: 10:13pm On Feb 07, 2013
Leopantro: okay, my bad on the dumb part.

No P bruv smiley

Leopantro:
what is the meaning of "feature phone" and why do they need to train people on data use on the phone?

My honest definition of a feature phone is a phone doing the most basic tasks without deep underlying software platforms needed to undertake more tedious task

It's always dicey defining what a smartphone and feature phone really is cheesy

At the bold part, can't really tell cos it should be a total demonstration of what the device can do than zeroing in " Data Use"
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by jedisco(m): 10:28pm On Feb 07, 2013
Francheezy: did he actually say lumia 900 is a feature f0ne...men am disaPPointed.....if it waz bb, n0 pr0blem.

I still remember that thread though I don't wanna dig it up.

It started as a very honest question by someone asking about the phone (just like this one).
Of course they never disappoint and called it all kind of names. From toy to dumb phone to feature phone and so on.

The real argument started on page 2 and lasted till about page 7 or so. That was when tex was still active here. Jmaine was also involved.
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by Francheezy(m): 11:02pm On Feb 07, 2013
w0w....datz paTHet!C
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by Bawss1(m): 8:03am On Feb 08, 2013
Where is Tex these days?
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by jedisco(m): 8:08pm On Feb 08, 2013
Bawss1: Where is Tex these days?

Don't know. But I know he hardly visits this section.
Sometimes this place ain't encouraging.
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by shogz89: 9:26pm On Nov 04, 2013
ocelot2006:

Huawei ailing? Lawd, ignorance is a real disease! You're talking about one of the largest manufacturers of telecommunications equipment in the WORLD. ALL GSM operators in Nigeria and a lot of foreign service providers use their access and core network elements. And Microsoft? Yet you call them ailing?
I agree that they are the largest telecommunications equipment materials, but they are no were in the smart phone world Guy they are truly ailing
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by 315connie: 8:29am On Nov 05, 2013
Mobile phone factory in china.Welcome inquiry and OEM order also welcome small order

via email:connie@entalenthk.com or skype:conniezhang2012 to get contact with me.
Thanks
Connie
Re: Huawei 4Afrika Phone By Huawei & Microsoft For Africa by 315connie: 8:29am On Nov 05, 2013
Mobile phone factory in china.Welcome inquiry and OEM order also welcome small order

via email:connie@entalenthk.com or skype:conniezhang2012 to get contact with me.
Thanks
Connie

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2019 Whatsapp Groups To Join / Nokia Android Phone Will Be Released In January 2014 / Best Android Phone At This Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.