Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,768 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:45 PM

Obama, A Lonely Idealist? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama, A Lonely Idealist? (1067 Views)

Photos: Russian Supermarket Under Fire For Calling Barack Obama A Monkey / First Lady Of The United States Of America Michelle Obama, 'A MAN?' / 2011 Election, Who Will You Vote For Realist Or Idealist Aspirant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by Topsido(m): 4:51pm On Mar 09, 2008
Even Clinton cannot deny he is a good speaker and a motivator. Obama's views and ideas have been made an object of ridicule several times by republicans and non-supporting democrats as well. He is sure an idealist. Do you think a maverick can be trusted?
i think the guy is cool but lonely. tell me what you think.
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:39pm On Mar 09, 2008
If Obama does not win, the USA will continue on its downward spiral from greatness.
Did you know that their are more terrorist post-Bush then their were before he stepped into office?
The US should continue looking for "weapons of mass destruction" lol they will see their world seat of power dissapear before them
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by Kobojunkie: 6:24pm On Mar 09, 2008
I don't believe he is as great a speaker as you make him out to be @Poster. I mean sure he knows how to repeat what others have said in the past but apart from that he is not necessarily a great orator. I mean his writer maybe good but the man himself a great speaker?? nah!! and that is my honest opinion
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by donmayor(m): 7:01pm On Mar 09, 2008
Please give me on ideal that has been put forward by Obama - Change?
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by Kobojunkie: 10:49pm On Mar 09, 2008
donmayor:

Please give me on ideal that has been put forward by Obama - Change?

LMAO!!!
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by IykeD1(m): 10:00pm On Mar 10, 2008

I don't believe he is as great a speaker as you make him out to be @Poster. I mean sure he knows
how to repeat what others have said in the past but apart from that he is not necessarily a great
orator. I mean his writer maybe good but the man himself a great speaker?? nah!! and that is my
honest opinion

It is a safe bet that most political observers in the US today agree that Obama is a GREAT and
brilliant speaker, but of course you are rightfully entitled to your opinion.

For all his greenness and "inexperience", the fact shows that he has managed to out-raise
(funds) and out-organize his opponents till date. That is not by accident as it shows a lot
about his managerial or organizational abilities. People should give credit where credit is due.
Clinton is on the ropes today because she underestimated Obama - his speeches, his appeal,
and his strength.

The millions of people that have voted for Obama are aware that he will have to face a republican challenger if he was to win the nomination of his party, but that didn't stop them from campaigning
or donating to him. He has to win the nomination first before one can be bothered with the ease
to which they think McCain will beat him in the general election.

A McCain's win is not even guaranteed even if his opponent turns out to be Obama. The economy
is in the gutters and its most likely to get worse before it gets better. If that holds, that reframes
the entire debate and McCain may not be as advantaged as now presumed. A worsening economy
presents voters with the choice of continuing with a failed administration or taking a chance on a
new one.

Lastly, to those talking about Clinton's experience, please don't make me puke. I am still waiting
for that exhaustive list of "commander in chief" type experience.
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by Ibime(m): 11:57pm On Mar 10, 2008
Abeg make una leave Obama jo! He is one of the greatest and most charismatic speakers I have ever seen.
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by Kobojunkie: 1:31am On Mar 11, 2008
Iyke-D:

It is a safe bet that most political observers in the US today agree that Obama is a GREAT and
brilliant speaker, but of course you are rightfully entitled to your opinion.

For all his greenness and "inexperience", the fact shows that he has managed to out-raise
(funds) and out-organize his opponents till date. That is not by accident as it shows a lot
about his managerial or organizational abilities. People should give credit where credit is due.
Clinton is on the ropes today because she underestimated Obama - his speeches, his appeal,
and his strength.

The millions of people that have voted for Obama are aware that he will have to face a republican challenger if he was to win the nomination of his party, but that didn't stop them from campaigning
or donating to him. He has to win the nomination first before one can be bothered with the ease
to which they think McCain will beat him in the general election.

A McCain's win is not even guaranteed even if his opponent turns out to be Obama. The economy
is in the gutters and its most likely to get worse before it gets better. If that holds, that reframes
the entire debate and McCain may not be as advantaged as now presumed. A worsening economy
presents voters with the choice of continuing with a failed administration or taking a chance on a
new one.

Lastly, to those talking about Clinton's experience, please don't make me puke. I am still waiting
for that exhaustive list of "commander in chief" type experience.

Again just opinions and at the end of the day, the people will decide who they feel is best to lead the pack this time. Over and over I have seen how the "Political Observers" have failed time and time again to guage the actual mind set of the average americans, only time will tell. I can not forget what the conclusion was on McCain less than 6 months ago and lo and behold, he is now the Republican nominee.
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by IykeD1(m): 11:49am On Mar 11, 2008

Again just opinions and at the end of the day, the people will decide who they feel is best to lead the pack this time.
Over and over I have seen how the "Political Observers" have failed time and time again to guage the actual mind
set of the average americans, only time will tell. I can not forget what the conclusion was on McCain less than 6
months
ago and lo and behold, he is now the Republican nominee.

And that's my point exactly. McCain was written off and here he is. Who is to say the impossible about Obama may not come to
pass? We just won't know until the general elections if he becomes the nominee. He may lose by a landslide or he may just pull
off the unthinkable and win the election. There have been black governors, and its just a matter of time (this year or 100 years)
before a black president emerges. People don't give him enough credit because he wouldn't literally be the last man standing in
the democratic party if he was that "naive" or idealist. The fact is he is a very savvy organizer that has managed to put together
a formidable winning team (at least for now). And YES, he is a great orator because if he wasn't, the Clintons wouldn't be using
"just speeches" as an attack line if they didn't know how potent his speeches were.
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by McKren(m): 1:35pm On Mar 11, 2008
Ibime:

Abeg make una leave Obama jo! He is one of the greatest and most charismatic speakers I have ever seen.

There is no point arguing with people who can not even inspire a class room of 20 pupils.

Obama's 2004 DNC "Audacity of Hope" Speech is no.2 on http://www.americanrhetoric.com/. Second only to MLK's "I have a dream speech". !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile on America, the weapon of mass destruction that I know now is the fear mongering that led america into Iraq. It has created more terrorist than any American foreign policy in history. It has made friends and fans of America make comments that should be heard from only people who are anti-american.

That is the idealogy the next President of US will have to change.
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by rookie(m): 5:07pm On Mar 11, 2008
Good find McRen-

That site is very resourceful and the "Audacity of Hope" speech is quite gripping
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by Kobojunkie: 6:34pm On Mar 11, 2008
Iyke-D:

And that's my point exactly. McCain was written off and here he is. Who is to say the impossible about Obama may not come to
pass? We just won't know until the general elections if he becomes the nominee. He may lose by a landslide or he may just pull
off the unthinkable and win the election. There have been black governors, and its just a matter of time (this year or 100 years)
before a black president emerges. People don't give him enough credit because he wouldn't literally be the last man standing in
the democratic party if he was that "naive" or idealist. The fact is he is a very savvy organizer that has managed to put together
a formidable winning team (at least for now). And YES, he is a great orator because[b] if he wasn't, the Clintons wouldn't be using
"just speeches" as an attack line if they didn't know how potent his speeches were.[/b]

uuumm,  the same tactic has been used for practically majority of those who have ever run for office in this country. Are they all great orators then?? I guess it all comes down to who is listening to these speeches and individual taste. I have a friend who claims to be a die hard Obama fan, not exactly sure why, but the dude considers McCain a better orator than he would Obama. But then again, I guess this is just folks posting their opinions in here at the end of the day.
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:39pm On Mar 11, 2008
Their is no candidate who is running in the elections that has a presence like Obama.
Whe he speaks all attention is turned on him, I can't think of a niminee who embodies public speech like Obama.
When Hillary speaks their is a nervousness that associate with her,
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by IykeD1(m): 9:52pm On Mar 11, 2008

uuumm, the same tactic has been used for practically majority of those who
have ever run for office in this country. Are they all great orators then? ? ? I
guess it all comes down to who is listening to these speeches and individual
taste. I have a friend who claims to be a die hard Obama fan, not exactly sure
why, but the dude considers [b]McCain a better orator than he would Obama.
[/b]But then again, I guess this is just folks posting their opinions in here at
the end of the day.

McCain and orator in one sentence? Maybe not with Obama in the same sentence.

Of course, we are all entitled to post our opinions at the end of the day. Its just
that is my opinion that in addition to the fact that Obama possesses a very potent
oratory skill, he is also a very good organizer, and he rarely gets credit for it. Of
course, that doesn't mean he is perfect, just that he is about as qualified like the
others.
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by vowiski(m): 10:35pm On Mar 11, 2008
Ibime:

DUMB!
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by funbag: 1:45am On Mar 12, 2008
vowiski:

DUMB!
What's your gripe with Obama? State your case fool.
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by Topsido(m): 10:38am On Mar 17, 2008
Please lets not fight over this.
If uask, i'd say Obama is da bomb
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by Orimili(m): 11:15pm On Mar 18, 2008
To be honest, Obama sounds like more of the same thing. I don't understand where everybody gets this idea that he will be the answers to everybody's problems, or why many treat him as if he were the next messiah. There is nothing about him that makes him an idealist. He is just another mainstream candidate buying votes.
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by Nobody: 12:43am On Mar 19, 2008
@OP i repeat, @ OP
sorry, but what does loneliness has to do with him becoming president?
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by 4Play(m): 2:28am On Mar 19, 2008
Iyke-D:

about his managerial or organizational abilities.

People who seek to demonstrate Obama's supposed competence by referring to his fund-raising are engaged in an absurd display of illogic.If this is the template for measuring competence,they face the supreme irony that the fund-raising juggernaut of US national politics since the beginning of the 21st century is none other than President George W Bush. By this measure,Bush must be an epitome of "managerial or organizational abilities."

McKren:

Meanwhile on America, the weapon of mass destruction that I know now is the fear mongering that led america into Iraq. It has created more terrorist than any American foreign policy in history. It has made friends and fans of America make comments that should be heard from only people who are anti-american.

That is the idealogy the next President of US will have to change.

I wonder where Obama's assertion that he would be prepared to militarily intervene in Pakistan fits into this your narrative.

What creates terrorists is not US policy per se but an Islamist ideology that promotes a culture of death.What is happening in Iraq is child's play compared to what is happening in Darfur and South Sudan,yet Africans are not going about blowing up Arabs in revenge.

1 Like

Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by peedfunk: 4:08am On Mar 19, 2008
Obama, A Lonely Idealist?
If having more delegates than your oponent makes you "A Lonely Idealist" then its good being "lonely".
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by McKren(m): 4:12pm On Mar 20, 2008
4Play

I wonder where Obama's assertion that he would be prepared to militarily intervene in Pakistan fits into this your narrative.

You have every right to be as conservative and right-wing as you like, but you also owe yourself the responsibility as an educated person to listen to other news and views and not only the like promoted by FOX News.

Obama did not say he will "Militarily intervene in Pakistan" (whatever that means)

He said if he has actionable inteligence on Osama Bin Laden's location in Pakistan and Musharaf is not willing to act he will order the Army to strike at Bin Laden's location.
It is also worthy of note that roughly about a month ago the Goerge Bush's administration borrowed the same ideology to take out Al-Qaeda number 3 in Pakistan.
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by 4Play(m): 8:49pm On Mar 20, 2008
McKren:

Obama did not say he will "Militarily intervene in Pakistan" (whatever the means)

This is an absurd attempt at a straw man argument.The above couldn't have possibly been derived from this:"Obama's assertion that he would be prepared to militarily intervene in Pakistan "

He said if he has actionable inteligence on Osama Bin Laden's location in Pakistan and Musharaf is not willing to act he will order the Army to strike at Bin Laden's location.

I believe the exact statement from Obama was:"If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf won't act, we will". Lets ignore the mangled attempt to reduce the subject of his "threat" to Osama Bin Laden instead of high-value terrorist targets(a vague group of unlimited potential candidates).Its funny to see you defend this botched attempt by Obama at foreign policy-making on the basis that Bush "borrowed the same ideology". So much for "change"

Its also odd to see your attempt to present unconfirmed reports as facts.How do we know whether the Pakistanis gave their consent or not? If they didn't,why didn't they lodge a protest?

What made Obama's comments remarkable was his stated willingness to act even without the permission of Pakistan,a position that,however you spin it,doesn't fit into your narrative.

PS:I hope you weren't one of those people who condemned Colombia's intervention in Bolivia,I marvel at the cognitive dissonance many Nigerian Obamaniacs must be enveloped in.They passionately support a candidate whose views on many issues-from abortion,gay rights,Israel to Pakistan-does not fit in with their views.
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by 4Play(m): 10:06pm On Mar 20, 2008
Per Obama:
a view that sees the conflicts in the Middle East as rooted primarily in the actions of stalwart allies like Israel, instead of emanating from the perverse and hateful ideologies of radical The Great Religion.”

How does the above quote fit into Obamaniacs' narrative of the Middle-East. . . . .kind of sounds similar to what I have been harping on.
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by McKren(m): 12:32am On Mar 21, 2008
"If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf won't act, we will"

As long as you are honest enough to post Obama's real quotes am satisfied. I believe Nairalanders understand english and can make for themselves what he said. What YOU make of it is entirely up to YOU.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zYBaiXQoI5Q
Re: Obama, A Lonely Idealist? by 4Play(m): 12:35am On Mar 21, 2008
McKren:

As long as you are honest enough to post Obama's real quotes am satisfied. I believe Nairalanders understand english and can make for themselves what he said. What YOU make of it is entirely up to it.

Maybe we should ask Robert Redford. grin

How then does that Obama quote fit into your Middle-East narrative?

(1) (Reply)

The Indecent Assault On Mrs Udoudo By Imo State Governor's Entourage / Does The South Suffer From Northern Phobia? / Remembering Our Own Soweto ( Await Every One Post)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.