Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,997 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:28 PM

What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? (19341 Views)

Have M.sc And Currently In Phd Can Anyone Get Me A Job / APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY / Ptdf Scholarship For Msc And Phd Is Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by murtalaa(m): 3:31pm On Feb 07, 2013
Many people are of the opinion that getting a PhD adds to prospect of a good salary. I plead guilty to having that opinion because I used to belong to such school of thought. Over the years, however, I noticed that one really does not need a PhD degree to reach any level of financial achievement.

I have come to understand that PhD should not be pursued merely for financial gratification. But one disturbing issue I noted is that majority of people who seek to obtain a Phd don't want to work in Academia. I don't why is that.

I want to get the opinion fellow NLder on this. Do you think getting a PhD pays-off financially? Can you say the highest earners in your coy owns a PhD?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by sutst: 4:36pm On Feb 07, 2013
Is jst an academic achievement

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Feb 07, 2013
It is a contribution to the body of knowledge!

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Phonon: 9:38pm On Feb 07, 2013
Where is that Phd Dangote truck driver when you need him to answer crucial questions?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by DICKtator: 9:20am On Feb 08, 2013
You mean Player Hating Degree?
Nothing. Zilch.Just broke "a.s.SSness!!!!"
grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Yvete(f): 9:22am On Feb 08, 2013
murtalaa: I have come to understand that PhD should not be pursued merely for financial gratification.

My exact sentiments. Although for anyone to pursue a PhD shows that they have the mental/academic capacity for the challenge. Good thing!
To each their own anyways.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Dee60: 9:23am On Feb 08, 2013
A piece of paper to show how much you have read and not necessarily what you can do.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Nobody: 9:23am On Feb 08, 2013
PHD Nigeria? GEJ has 1!

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by stagger: 9:24am On Feb 08, 2013
A PhD gives you the opportunity to become a lecturer. Given that lecturers now earn appreciable salaries with the opportunity to get research grants and make money from writing and publishing academic materials, and over a guaranteed 35 year period, I think getting a PhD makes a lot of sense in Nigeria.

The only thing that will make a lecturer lose his job is gross misconduct. If I had the opportunity to take up a salaried job, I would rather be a lecturer than work in a bank where i will be asked to go and be chasing millions in targets, and without any job security.

18 Likes

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by OgeneDom(m): 9:27am On Feb 08, 2013
As an academia, you need phd to attain certain positions in academic institutions. Therefore, is a step towards financial achievement as you put it. For instance, in universities, without Phd, you cant be a head of department and so on
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Tolexander: 9:27am On Feb 08, 2013
Aliko Dangote knows it. Guess between #120,000 to #150,000 by dangote's standard. And na truck you go use am drive.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by chrisdoller(m): 9:29am On Feb 08, 2013
murtalaa: Many people are of the opinion that getting a PhD adds to prospect of a good salary. I plead guilty to having that opinion because I used to belong to such school of thought. Over the years, however, I noticed that one really does not need a PhD degree to reach any level of financial achievement.

I have come to understand that PhD should not be pursued merely for financial gratification. But one disturbing issue I noted is that majority of people who seek to obtain a Phd don't want to work in Academia. I don't why is that.

I want to get the opinion fellow NLder on this. Do you think getting a PhD pays-off financially? Can you say the highest earners in your coy owns a PhD?

nawadays people dont care more about ur certificate but what u can actually do or impact positively to d growth of a company.so why too much degress wen u cant really put it in work NONSENCE cry
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by drzed: 9:30am On Feb 08, 2013
It is only in places like Nigeria (where people are allergic to progress) that PhD is synonymous to lecturing.

For the avoidance of doubt, a PhD gives you expertise (in your chosen area).

Whether you elect to use this expertise in a lecture hall, research institution, a multi-national or your private entrepreneurship is entirely up to you.

PhD holders are problem solvers (in their own domain) but they also have a wider grasp of research methodology than most folks. Unfortunately, some so-called PhD holders in Nigeria (including a few associated with leadership) have failed to demonstrate the minimum level of intellectual acumen, commensurate with the title. But that is not the fault of all other PhD holders. Can you now say all strikers including Van Persie, Messi or Suarez are useless simply because Yakubu Aiyegbeni missed an open goal (unmarked) from just 0.1 centimeters away?

Now as for the OP (and other Nairalanders/Nigerians who associate PhD with stupendous wealth) let it be clear that the richest black man today (Dangote) does not have a PhD. In fact, Bill Gates did not even finish college (degree). So what does that tell you about degrees and money? Having a university degree (of whatever level) is not a guarantee for success in life.

Problem is that too many Nigerians associate success with money, money, money. If it is ONLY money you want, then just go into trading. After all, Dangote, with all his billions, is just a trader (yes, I said it). He made (and makes) money selling sugar, salt, spaghetti, flour and cement. Chikenan! What stops you from doing same?

You dont need a PhD to make money. On the flip side, having money also does not make you (or guarantee that you would be) educated. You should define success according to your own terms and stop this wanton pursuit of kudi, ego, owo. This is why Nigeria is so corrupt because everyone wants to 'make it'. And while there is nothing wrong with making it, most Nigerians think 'making it' only means being VERY RICH and annoyingly, they want to 'Hammer' overnight.

I tire for my people.

Finally, let me answer the question posed by the title of the thread (with a JAMB question): What is the worth of ignorance financially?

Over to you.

68 Likes

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by kinisoo1: 9:31am On Feb 08, 2013
iv4fb: PHD Nigeria? GEJ has 1!

You're very correct.! Getting a PhD does not translate to being a better leader. Neither does it mean you'll have more money. These days, people even do masters because there's no job without understanding it could be a waste if it's not for career purpose.

OP, my take: you don't have to own a third "PROSTRATE, hardwork & DOBALE" degree to get the benjis.
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Nobody: 9:31am On Feb 08, 2013
Just to add to one's academic reputation IMO.
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Asis(m): 9:32am On Feb 08, 2013
drzed: It is only in places like Nigeria (where people are allergic to progress) that PhD is synomymous to lecturing.

For the avoidance of doubt, a PhD gives you expertise (in your area).

Whether you elect to use this expertise in a lecture hall, research institution, a multi-national or your private entrepreneurship is up to you.

PhD holders are problem solvers (in their own domain) but also have a wider grasp of research methodology. Unfortunately, some so-called PhD holders in Nigeria (including a few associated with leadership) have failed to demonstrate the minimum level of intellectual acumen, commensurate with the title.

well said..
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Ebestsmscom: 9:43am On Feb 08, 2013
iv4fb: PHD Nigeria? GEJ has 1!

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Kaiser96: 9:43am On Feb 08, 2013
[quote author=drzed]It is only in places like Nigeria (where people are allergic to progress) that PhD is synomymous to lecturing.

Whether you elect to use this expertise in a lecture hall, research institution, a multi-national or your private entrepreneurship is up to you.

PhD holders are problem solvers (in their own domain) but also have a wider grasp of research methodology. Unfortunately, some so-called PhD holders in Nigeria (including a few associated with leadership) have failed to demonstrate the minimum level of intellectual acumen, commensurate with the title.

Tanx for d enlightment
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by mayoroflag(m): 9:45am On Feb 08, 2013
drzed: It is only in places like Nigeria (where people are allergic to progress) that PhD is synomymous to lecturing.

Asis: well said..

Yes o, this guy killed it. PhD means you are not afraid to go into any area of your field and create value within it. Given the investment of time PhD students spend in Nigerian universities the quality of their output and their to incline to propensity job/ privilege entitlement mentality is unreal....
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by DonTim1: 9:52am On Feb 08, 2013
Thinking of where to get one in naija, anyone with suggestions pls put down. My target is in I.T security, and if peradventure anyone here can help am actually looking to begin a lecturing career here in 9ja.

Nb: first love is impacting knowledge next the Benjamins. and trust me am prepared n ready.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Nobody: 9:54am On Feb 08, 2013
life is not all about money, but money is important though.having a Phd does not translate into being financialy bouyant. there is a verse in the Bible that says it is God who gives the power to make wealth. and we all know that knowledge is power. generally youths have misplaced their priorities, unfortunately they are more concerned about the money instead of the Knowledge/skills/experience. but having said that it is very possible for you to use the knowledge garnered from your Phd to turn yourself into a financial giant.IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING!!!!
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by 9icest: 9:55am On Feb 08, 2013
The Economist did a story on Phd about a year ago...
http://www.economist.com/economist-asks/doing_phd_waste_time
They proved its a clear waste of time in our current global economy....
Besides the fact you have to please all those sadist professors who dont want you to have the Phd, its there are many companies out their searching for a PhD holder.

Get inspired, visit
www.inspired.com.ng
for your daily inspirational dose!
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Nobody: 9:55am On Feb 08, 2013
Don Tim: Thinking of where to get one in naija, anyone with suggestions pls put down. My target is in I.T security, and if peradventure anyone here can help am actually looking to begin a lecturing career here in 9ja.

Nb: first love is impacting knowledge next the Benjamins. and trust me am prepared n ready.
UNIJOS
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Nobody: 10:05am On Feb 08, 2013
it is evident that the people going to school to acquire these degrees are no longer getting the Jobs any longer, there is a disconnect somewhere in our society, something has to be done to restore the status-quo.
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by jahjehova(m): 10:07am On Feb 08, 2013
Aggrippa:
UNIJOS
are U sayin UNIJOS has a phd program in IT Security? Am just concluding my masters in IT @OAU Ife
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by 80million1: 10:07am On Feb 08, 2013
*speechless*

PHD means Poverty of the Highest Degree.

If you are not financially free yet,instead of spending your money and time on a Phd,us e that money to feed your family or better START A BUSINESS!
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by KOMBE: 10:07am On Feb 08, 2013
not more than N200,000 per month....so sad.
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Nobody: 10:11am On Feb 08, 2013
jahjehova:
are U sayin UNIJOS has a phd program in IT Security? Am just concluding my masters in IT @OAU Ife

sory for the misleading info, i have not verified
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by PeeDaVinci: 10:11am On Feb 08, 2013
speaking as a phd holder who is now working in the industry - phd is just another form of work experience. however, as opposed to the focus on productivity and profit in the industry, it is a form of on-the-job-training on how to conceptualize ideas, and propose solutions in cutting edge science. so, talking about innovations, phd holders are deemed to be more skillful (not always) than people with normal work experience. phd does not translate to better pay, actually, it restricts the positions you can take in a lot of ways as only a few non phd holders have the guts to boss a phd holder. having said that, phd earns you respect, believe me, anywhere in the world. your job mobility potential increases, getting work visas in other countries becomes easier, there is the tendency to always consider you before a non phd holder in several places. but like i said, it does not translate to better pay

7 Likes

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by salt1: 10:12am On Feb 08, 2013
For some women, PhD stands for Pikin Husband Degree or Push Husband Down.

On a serious note, you must outline your priorities and career goals. If you are thinking of development work with a lot of consulting opportunities, a PhD gives you an edge. It is a huge intellectual investment in the long run. But as for ROI (Return on Investment) in the short run, it may not be the path to stupendous wealth
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Nobody: 10:21am On Feb 08, 2013
i will always continue to say and advice that having acquired all these degrees and one is sure of possessing the amount of knowledge of the likes of Albert Eienstein , there is no point remaining in a place like Nigeria where you will be unappreciated, scorned and ridiculed. migrate to places where you will be appreciated!!!!
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by sageon: 10:22am On Feb 08, 2013
The concept of education derives much from problem resolutions, a taking for peculiar interests-social, economic and the scientific, some exposure and improved interactions. Although, a temptation often exists with the arching burden of self-sufficiency and societal standing, but truth be told, no degree is a meal ticket. The substance of an academic achievement lies much with any verifiable benefits that an engaged environment admits or dismisses, and, it is here that your education places you in a position to negotiate or concede- when that scrutiny or appraisal is concluded. Society only rewards what it deems beneficial to it; the volume or make is essentially the individual’s initiative to take or project.

In all honesty, a major fault line exists in reasoning that the drive for any degree, diploma or certificate, should be linked to monetary concerns or rewards, and it would ultimately lead to frustrations and discouragements, if such formed the premise of the enterprise.

Interests such as research, innovations or ideas formulations, for industry or the academia, in my view, should form the overriding motivations.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

N-Power Extended To 31 Of August 2016. Photo: / Interview Question: Why Do You Want This Job? / Nigerian Army Names Of Shortlisted Candidates For Zonal Screening.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.