Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,537 members, 7,819,919 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? (19384 Views)

Have M.sc And Currently In Phd Can Anyone Get Me A Job / APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY / Ptdf Scholarship For Msc And Phd Is Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Feb 08, 2013
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by drzed: 4:45pm On Feb 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Not true at all.
PhDs are needed in any R&grin environment. Not the least IT.
IT is more than installing MS Exchange oh, bros. That's sysadmin work. You don't even need a Bsc to do that.

@ballabriggs and Ajanlekoko: Well said guys.

@obi2012: people like you will continue to operate in the 'factory floor' of your companies. The big money you think you are making now will only help you outshine your mates for a while. The only thing your so-called CNNP, CISSP, PDP, GQRX and other certifications will get for you is career advancement for a decade or so. All those certification only means you can install software or run it on a network without making mistake and when there is problem, you can trouble shoot and find it. Chikenan! No more no less.

At a point in your life (when your hairline starts to recede), you would want to leave the factory floor or banking hall and get an office in the top floor or penthouse. You will be tired of installing Microsoft Exchange and trouble-shooting CISCO Network Routers. You would want to sit on company board as a director. At that stage, even someone with ordinary Masters degree will overtake you and all your CQPXZ certification. You read it here. Mark my words.

In other words, all what your certification does is allow you to implement the solutions that PhD holders and researchers have designed. Or to carry out instructions they are dishing from the top. In short, your certifications only makes you a very good 'worker'. Certification is unnecessary for a PhD holder. He has led the way in his field and will continue to be a leader in his field.

The people who actually run things in Google, Apple, Microsoft, Shell, GM, Samsung, etc all have PhDs. Check all the major corporations in the world and study the profile of those who make it tick (not those who own it, we can only have a few Bill Gates and Steve Jobs). Check those who decide on major issues at board level. Even in Nigeria here, many board members of serious companies are PhD holders. Check serious governments in the US, Canada, UK, Japan and see who are those creating policies on economy and development: they have PhDs.

Those who have PhDs will continuously invent and innovate and make decisions...for people with CNSSP to implement on the factory floor.

Those who refuse to think will forever be the prisoners of other people's thoughts.

PhD holders are thinkers. Enough said.

8 Likes

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by blackmann(m): 4:52pm On Feb 08, 2013
drzed:

@obi2012: people like you will continue to operate in the 'factory floor' of your companies. The big money you think you are making now will only help you outshine your mates for a while. The only thing your so-called CNNP, CISSP, PDP, GQRX and other certifications will get for you is career advancement for a decade or so. At a point in your life (when your hairline starts to recede), you would want to leave the factory floor or banking hall and get an office in the top floor or penthouse. You would want to sit on company board as a director. At that stage, even someone with ordinary Masters degree will overtake you and all your CQPXZ certification. You read it here. Mark my words.

In other words, all what your certification does is allow you to implement the solutions that PhD holders and researchers have designed. Or to carry out instructions they are dishing from the top. In short, your certifications only makes you a very good 'worker'. Certification is unnecessary for a PhD holder. He has led the way in his field and will continue to be a leader in his field.

The people who actually run things in Google, Apple, Microsoft, Shell, GM, Samsung, etc all have PhDs. Check all the major corporations in the world and study the profile of those who make it tick (not those who own it, we can only have a few Bill Gates and Steve Jobs). Check those who decide on major issues at board level. Even in Nigeria here, many board members of serious companies have PhD holders. Those who have PhDs will continuously invent and innovate and make decisions...for people with CNSSP to implement on the factory floor.

Those who refuse to think will forever be the prisoners of other people's thoughts.

GBAM. Well said. If people don't educate them they will never learn. But what else do u expect when that's exactly what they are being fed. People in Nigeria look at Phd as a "pali" for those who want to lecture only, they never look at it in a larger view. To me, Phd in whatever field you are shows u know ur stuff and u can't be messed up anyhow.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by TonySpike: 5:28pm On Feb 08, 2013
May I use this opportunity to tell us the story of one of the most successful, wealthiest and yet unknown men of the telecommunication industry in the United States, Dr. Andrew Viterbi. He is one of the fathers of post-60's Wireless Digital Communication. His Doctorate degree made it possible for him to simplify the abstract module he taught his students who were finding it increasingly difficult to understand as far back as 1967. The simplification he made in this area of communication/signal processing is called VITERBI ALGORITHM. For those of us here who are in the telecomms industry, this code/algorithm is popularly used in CDMA, STBC, SOSTC, WCDMA and MIMO-OFDM systems till today. His breakthrough allowed him to co-found QUALCOMM, the largest CDMA company in the US. Today, at almost 80 yrs old, he is an established billionaire just because his PhD education made him think beyond the problems of his time. Each time I read his story, I'm always amazed.

Why am I saying all these? Many of us here might never know that there are thousands of problems waiting to be solved by PhD holders. Infact, PhD research areas are cyclical, it encourages efficiency, structural solutions,idea optimization and flexibility. It is a long journey, but if you have solved your problems properly as a PhD student, you might as well be on your way to becoming another Viterbi.
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by kpolli(m): 5:30pm On Feb 08, 2013
A PHd is only useful if your going to lecture
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by realbomax: 5:33pm On Feb 08, 2013
D economical conditn of dis country has made some pple to despise our degree certs.why wont dey disrespect phd when a holder was applying for Dangote driver positn? What pple dont realise is dt no matter d situatn of d country,we cant but hav some ordinary B.SC holders who are still very sound but are unable to prove their mettle here talkless of phd holders. Having phd is a lifetime priviledge for those who hav it,who even told u dt it wil be easy to suceed in ur research if ure into my field(MEE)?
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by blackmann(m): 6:03pm On Feb 08, 2013
kpolli: A PHd is only useful if your going to lecture

Here is one of them.
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by drzed: 6:30pm On Feb 08, 2013
kpolli: A PHd is only useful if your going to lecture

Kai. Na wah o! And someone like you will become a leader in this country one day. Lawd have mercy!
And we wonder why Nigeria is perpetually in motion without any tangible movement.
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by realbomax: 6:52pm On Feb 08, 2013
Mayb some peeps dont know dt u can bag phd while working in a research institute like Engineering materials and dev. institute in nigeria. Thank God some1 had a tot of creating dis thread.
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by segun688: 6:57pm On Feb 08, 2013
hmm The level of ignorance about what a PhD entails on a site like nairaland is amazing and ridiculous. First of all, a PhD is a philosophical degree that stretches the mind with the intention of contributing to the body of knowledge. Now, I dont blame Nigerians for being skeptical towards a PhD degree. but i will give an insight of what i know about the degree. Abroad, there are training and workshops that PhD students are expected to attend. They train them to be BOTH consultants and Academics for career flexibility. Soft wares are taught, they are trained on how to think, how to question the status quo, how to search deep and come up with something original. A bulk of all the inventions you see are brought by PhD students, toiling away and finding out how things can be done differently. On the issue of finance, fine, i will agree that a phd does not guarantee billions, but if you make the most of the Opportunity, you will be comfortable. The exposure, the training, the conference etc that comes along with the degree is fantastic. Yes a PhD is preferred for a basis of training to be a consultant, an expert in a field. And yes i know of 10 PhD students working in top notch organizations where thinking is a priceless commodity. But i wont blame Nigerians, when they will rather adore an illiterate billionaire because he has money and they are quick to ridicule any PhD Holder that doesn't seem as wealthy. I respect the people who quest for knowledge and contribution....who are ready to think outside the box. The quick example that people are talking about is the truck driver sage that Dangote spoke about. Like i said, it is up to everyone to make the most of what they have. if the PhD holder chooses to be a truck driver....so be it. from the considerable number of people who have done their PhD'S in Reputable institutions...they have been successful in their own right....Wole Soyinka...Dora Akinyuli and even friends and family that i know of. Please lets encourage the quest for knowledge and worship money less, else we will never grow as a nation. Dont be quick to scoff at the PhD especially if you do not know what it entails. Its 2013 and its a little wonder why we are still where we are in this country

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Feb 08, 2013
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Feb 08, 2013
drzed: It is only in places like Nigeria (where people are allergic to progress) that PhD is synonymous to lecturing.

For the avoidance of doubt, a PhD gives you expertise (in your chosen area).

Whether you elect to use this expertise in a lecture hall, research institution, a multi-national or your private entrepreneurship is entirely up to you.

PhD holders are problem solvers (in their own domain) but they also have a wider grasp of research methodology than most folks. Unfortunately, some so-called PhD holders in Nigeria (including a few associated with leadership) have failed to demonstrate the minimum level of intellectual acumen, commensurate with the title. But that is not the fault of all other PhD holders. Can you now say all strikers including Van Persie, Messi or Suarez are useless simply because Yakubu Aiyegbeni missed an open goal (unmarked) from just 0.1 centimeters away?

Now as for the OP (and other Nairalanders/Nigerians who associate PhD with stupendous wealth) let it be clear that the richest black man today (Dangote) does not have a PhD. In fact, Bill Gates did not even finish college (degree). So what does that tell you about degrees and money? Having a university degree (of whatever level) is not a guarantee for success in life.

Problem is that too many Nigerians associate success with money, money, money. If it is ONLY money you want, then just go into trading. After all, Dangote, with all his billions, is just a trader (yes, I said it). He made (and makes) money selling sugar, salt, spaghetti, flour and cement. Chikenan! What stops you from doing same?

You dont need a PhD to make money. On the flip side, having money also does not make you (or guarantee that you would be) educated. You should define success according to your own terms and stop this wanton pursuit of kudi, ego, owo. This is why Nigeria is so corrupt because everyone wants to 'make it'. And while there is nothing wrong with making it, most Nigerians think 'making it' only means being VERY RICH and annoyingly, they want to 'Hammer' overnight.

I tire for my people.

Finally, let me answer the question posed by the title of the thread (with a JAMB question): What is the worth of ignorance financially?

Over to you.

I had an orgasm just from reading your post...in fact
the rest of this post has been hidden
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Feb 08, 2013

1 Like

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by heisenberg33: 10:56pm On Feb 08, 2013
drzed:

Theory, abi? Please stop wasting your time on Nairaland. Go back to your spare-part business or whatever it is you do to make the 'millions' that makes you so restless. If or when 'that disease' finally catch you, you will know the value of PhD or research.

Just listen to yourself: what is the worth of poverty financially? The statement is grammatically correct, but it is illogical and senseless. Did you actually 'think' about it in your own head as you conceived or typed it? Or you just recycled the question I posed earlier? Let me rephrase YOUR question to make you understand what you are asking: What is the worth of wealth financially? Now does that sound logical or answerable? You can ask: what is the worth of poverty to an economy, to a family, to a society BUT not financially. Thats like asking what is the worth of letter 'Q' alphabetically.

No wonder you despise PhD. I wont be surprised if you hate primary school certificate too grin

Like one clever fellow observed above: We dream of Nigeria being like China, Singapore and Malaysia, but we dont want to take the steps those countries took to make progress. You wan go heaven, but you no wan die, ko?

Nigeria is backward because of this your kind of thinking.

This post made me laugh a lot......a very well articulated and intelligent answer, and humorously written too. I have been following what you have been posting, and it is obvious you are an intelligent person......With people like you, all hope is not yet lost for Nigeria.keep it up, and continue enlightening people as you are doing
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by SpaceWorld2013(m): 11:16pm On Feb 08, 2013
#80million:
*speechless*

PHD means Poverty of the Highest Degree.

If you are not financially free yet,instead of spending your money and time on a Phd,us e that money to feed your family or better START A BUSINESS!

negative contribution.
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by SpaceWorld2013(m): 11:27pm On Feb 08, 2013
No matter what, my Ph.D is next step. chikenah!!!
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by SpaceWorld2013(m): 11:37pm On Feb 08, 2013
Pls, kindly read about Chinese officials in power, about 70 percent of them are Ph.D holders from Science and Engineering including President Hu Jintao.
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by obi2012: 4:56pm On Feb 09, 2013
Actually, phd's are more on the factory floor designing and not in management positions.. There is little advancement for a phd holder at such companies.. Again, i am not talking about nigerian companies

ballabriggs:

If there is any area where you find a lot of PhD's it is in the IT industry. From Apple, to Google, to twitter, to Intel, you find loads of PhD's contributing, redesigning and re-engineering processes and products in these companies.

These are organisations that know their worth and not those your "IT companies" at Otigba street Ikeja.
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by obi2012: 4:58pm On Feb 09, 2013
lol.. no one is saying IT is installing exchange but from a companies perspective, you dont get a phd to do IT security.. Experience and certs count a lot more than phd... A phd restricts you to a certain path.. There is no reason to get a phd in IT security especially not from a monetary aspect

AjanleKoko:

Not true at all.
PhDs are needed in any R and D environment. Not the least IT.
IT is more than installing MS Exchange oh, bros. That's sysadmin work. You don't even need a Bsc to do that.
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by obi2012: 6:15pm On Feb 09, 2013
Guy, please stop spreading misinformation.. A phd is good for research and for teaching.. IT is one of the few fields where a phd is not as valued as experience.. IT security is a developing field that values experience over textbook knowledge.. Most government accounts and contracts as well as big companies require certs as a pre-req to even consider you for a job..

Certs like the CCIE and CCNP.. Not only teach you to design a network, build and maintain it. Once you are familiar with the terminology and inner workings of a specific router, switch or device and networking concepts, its pretty easy to adapt it to whatever brand you are forced to work it by looking up the manual.. CCIE's and CCNP's design networks from the ground up not just troubleshoot.

Do you really think a company will hire a phd with no real world experience whose topic of research was penetration testing over a bachelors degree, ccie with real world experience? Dude, book knowledge only counts for so much.. It definitely isn't real valuable in the IT field.

You dont get a phd to get into management.. You get real world experience and/or an MBA to get into management..

You mentioned phd's running stuff at google, apple, microsoft, shell..

If you were familiar with tech companies you'd know that:

Google highly values programmers, next to c level management, programmers are the best paid in the company and they are the companies prized possession.. you dont need a phd to code in java, C#, C++, perl, vbscript or matlab. You have a stellar undergraduate degree from a high ranked school, maybe a masters and are a good programmer, then you'll get hired as a programmer.
For management, you'd have to have an mba or be promoted from within. Rarely do programmers get promoted to management because they are more valuable as programmers.

Apple hires good engineers as engineers preferably from top name schools, again you hardly get promoted from engineering to management.

Microsoft and facebook, same principles apply.

Shell, you either get into management as a lateral hire from another firm, an internal promote after spending multiple years with them or by going through their leadership development program which requires an mba and phd's are not even considered for the program.

So where do phd's fit in? In a tech company, phd's are refined to the lab or floor work as you called it

I find it funny that all the companies you listed do not have one phd on their board of directors..

CEO of Microsoft.. Steve Ballmer.. Bachelors in econs, dropped out of his mba program
Bill Gates.. We know that story
CEO of HP.. Meg Whitman.. Harvard MBA
CEO of Shell.. Peter Vosen.. Bachelors in Business Admin
CEO of Facebook.. Mack Zuckerberg.. College dropout
CEO of Oracle.. Larry Ellison.. College dropout
CEO of Apple.. Tim Cook.. Duke MBA
CEO of Twitter.. Jack Dorsey.. dropped out of nyu
CEO of Yahoo.. Marissa Mayer.. masters in computer science
Founder of Google.. Sergey Brin.. Bachelors in computer science
CEO/Founder of Google.. Larry Page.. Masters in engineering
Co-CEO of Google.. Eric Schimdt.. Phd (UCBerkeley) - 32 years of experience

So basically aside from the co-ceo of google, most tech companies do not have phd's on their board of directors.. What exactly are phd's running?

My younger sister has a bachelors and masters in chemical engineering and a phd in petroleum engineering (research focus was refinery design and optimization and delayed coking processes) from the University of Texas.. Right now she works at BP in a lab, she is not in management. She gets paid the same amount a masters degree graduate would be paid. The company said the added value of a phd just wasn't there for them. She had similar responses from Shell and Chevron when she was interviewing. BP was obviously the best choice and she loves what she is doing. She isn't complaining because she didnt go into the phd for the wrong reasons and the pay is still decent but her boss told her, she could have accomplished the same goals with her masters. Now in an area like nigeria where refineries are needed, she might benefit from the added value of her research and phd but in the United States where the refineries are on the decline, she wouldn't have as much bargaining power.

I on the other hand have a bachelors in computer engineering and have a masters in engineering management from university of texas.. i started my career out as a programmer, worked my way to team lead and eventually product manager for multiple big name tech companies.. At the time when i was considering going for my masters, i also applied to phd programs in computer engineering.. got accepted to a couple of big name universities but after talking to my boss at the time, my mentor and doing my research, i found out that i would be confining myself to one specific role.. I was more interested in management and policy making rather than focusing on the nitty gritty of tech details.. Originally i wanted an mba but my company offered to pay for a masters in engineering management degree and wouldnt cover the costs of an mba.. so i took the free degree.. i now work as a project manager for a fortune 50 tech company (which i wont name) and i oversee hiring and firing in my department.. With the flood of IT phd's from india and china right now, we are definitely not hiring them and thats the trend in the industry right now.. Experience is valuable these days and thats what companies are paying for. No one is hiring phd's for management.

The only place where a phd in CS might be valuable is on wall street as a quant or designing trading systems but even then you'd have to be very good at programming and you wont be getting hired into management.

So maybe you didnt understand me, i am not saying a phd is not a good degree, but in the OP's situation it isn't.. First of all he doesn't sound like he is genuinely interested in a phd program. His main motivation is money. If money is his only motivation, he will fail or be disappointed. You go into phd program's because you genuinely are interested in the subject regardless of how much you will make from it. Dont give the OP false hope, you make it sound like the day he walks out of a university with his phd degree in nigeria, he will be hired the next day as a director. Arent phd holders the same people lining up to fill out dangote drivers applications?

If he genuinely loves the subject, then he should go for it regardless of the monetary benefits. Although, i am not familiar with the nigerian IT atmosphere, i would assume that the IT security industry in nigeria is way behind the rest of the world so whatever education you'd get there would still be far behind your peers at similar universities in other parts of the world.

OP, if you want to make money, go and make money, if you want to study, go and study.. You dont study to make money, you study because its a subject you are interested in..

drzed:

@obi2012: people like you will continue to operate in the 'factory floor' of your companies. The big money you think you are making now will only help you outshine your mates for a while. The only thing your so-called CNNP, CISSP, PDP, GQRX and other certifications will get for you is career advancement for a decade or so. All those certification only means you can install software or run it on a network without making mistake and when there is problem, you can trouble shoot and find it. Chikenan! No more no less.

At a point in your life (when your hairline starts to recede), you would want to leave the factory floor or banking hall and get an office in the top floor or penthouse. You will be tired of installing Microsoft Exchange and trouble-shooting CISCO Network Routers. You would want to sit on company board as a director. At that stage, even someone with ordinary Masters degree will overtake you and all your CQPXZ certification. You read it here. Mark my words.

The people who actually run things in Google, Apple, Microsoft, Shell, GM, Samsung, etc all have PhDs. Check all the major corporations in the world and study the profile of those who make it tick (not those who own it, we can only have a few Bill Gates and Steve Jobs). Check those who decide on major issues at board level. Even in Nigeria here, many board members of serious companies are PhD holders. Check serious governments in the US, Canada, UK, Japan and see who are those creating policies on economy and development: they have PhDs.

Those who have PhDs will continuously invent and innovate and make decisions...for people with CNSSP to implement on the factory floor.

PhD holders are thinkers. Enough said.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by Coolcube: 6:56pm On Feb 09, 2013
The worth of a PhD degree can not be quantifed in term of what it will add to the human development of the bearer (I mean those who did it honestly without bribing their way through). I believe that the bedrock of a nation's development not only lies in its natural resources, but on how developed are its human resources which will handle the natural resources. One of the ways of developing the human resources is quality education which its apex is PhD. In terms of money, a fresh PhD holder is paid 134k before tax in the Federal universities while private employers of labour or other govt jobs may pay more or less. However money should not be the motivating factor for getting a PhD. Either one wants to lecture or not, developing oneself intellectually is GOOD.
I'm 21 yrs old currently doing my Masters degree and I hope to get a PhD before 27 because I want to develop myself intellectually and conduct researches to proffer solutions to some of the problems facing the human race.
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by drzed: 7:39pm On Feb 09, 2013
My guy, you funny no be small o! Let me try and respond to the key issues you raised in your long, but meaningless and misguided post.

obi2012: Guy, please stop spreading misinformation.. A phd is good for research and for teaching.. IT is one of the few fields where a phd is not as valued as experience..

Who is spreading misinformation? Please don’t sit in your face-me-I-face-you shop with a laptop loaded with Airtel credit and be spreading ignorance. Teaching and research is only ONE among many many things you can do with a PhD. Clearly you have no idea the kind of jobs that are waiting for PhD holders in companies like Google, Apple and Microsoft. But by the end of this post, you will know better. For now, let me just tempt you with just one link to exclusive PhD jobs @ Microsoft Inc:

http://www.microsoft-careers.com/key/microsoft-phd-jobs.html (accessed 09 Feb 2013) There are about 4,349 PhD level jobs advertised by Microsoft as at time of writing.... No, it is not a typographical error: That's FOUR THOUSAND, THREE HUNDRED AND FORTY NINE PhD level jobs available from Microsoft as of today, February 9th 2013.

obi2012: Do you really think a company will hire a phd with no real world experience whose topic of research was penetration testing over a bachelors degree, ccie with real world experience? Dude, book knowledge only counts for so much.. It definitely isn't real valuable in the IT field.

Yes they will hire and they do hire. I am not talking about the sort of backwater IT firms you probably rub shoulders with in Nigeria. Check the real world and see how many firms hire PhD holders (see more examples much further below).

And who told you PhD holders dont have any real-world experience? It is moronic, nay, imbecilic to conclude that people with PhDs have only being reading books all their lives. People like you not only suffer from stereo-typing PhDs, you actually dont know what a PhD degree is all about. After all, in your own words, PhD is good for teaching and research (you could have added 'only' at the end of that sentence to complete your ignorant assessment).

What their superior (PhD) knowledge and skill will give them, your 12 years of trouble-shooting networks will not give you. Your certification in the long run is just for routine day-to-day work. Jaki work. You are handicapped when it comes to deep-rooted thinking and original research which will pave the way for innovation and human progress. In fact, PhD is such a unique degree that even Google hires FRESH PhD graduates in software engineering, regardless of whether they have 10 years experience and 17 CISCO certifications (see down below).

Most patented technology that is at the core of Google, Microsoft, Apple and Samsung technologies were designed by PhD holders. Fact. Siddon dia wit ya CISCO certifications. Relative to your civil servant friends, I am sure your CV looks damn good. grin

obi2012: You mentioned phd's running stuff at google, apple, microsoft, shell..I find it funny that all the companies you listed do not have one phd on their board of directors.. .

You are not exactly very smart are you? I said PEOPLE who ‘run things’. I am not referring to the sole heads, owners, founders or CEOs only. Are you sure these companies dont have 'one' PhD on their boards? ARE YOU VERY SURE? Your children and grandchildren will read this post in future o! Anyway, see evidence and example from Google below.

obi2012: So basically aside from the co-ceo of google, most tech companies do not have phd's on their board of directors.. What exactly are phd's running?

Heow. Chineke mei! Your propensity for ignorance is flabberwhelming and overgasting. There are 6 members of Google’s Executive and the THREE top members each has a PhD (or the PhD is ongoing). As for those that don’t have PhDs, check their designations: they are marketers, legal people or songitos who make noises around). See their names and refer to the link below.

GOOGLE'S EXECUTIVE OFFICERS
(1) Larry Page (Chief Executive Officer) - Ph.D. at Stanford University
(2) Eric E. Schmidt (Executive Chairman) - Ph.D. in Computer Science, University of California, Berkeley
(3) Sergey Brin (Co-Founder) - currently on leave from the Ph.D. programme in Computer Science at Stanford University
(4) Nikesh Arora (Senior VP and Chief Business Officer) - MBA from Northeastern University
(5) David C. Drummond (Senior VP, and Chief Legal Officer) - Bachelor’s degree, Santa Clara University
(6) Patrick Pichette (Senior VP and Chief Financial Officer) - Master’s in Philosophy, Politics and Economics, Oxford

Source: http://www.google.co.uk/about/company/facts/management/

Also the top two members of Google’s Senior Leadership have PhDs
(1) Alan Eustace (Senior Vice President, Knowledge) Ph.D. in computer science, University of Central Florida
(2) Amit Singhal (Senior vice president) PhD in computer science, Cornell University

Infact, PhD degree is sooooo VERY important nowadays that (just like Microsoft), Google also created a unique website to attract people with PhDs, people who can think and come up with new ideas and patentable technologies. See the link below:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/jobs/students/tech/phd/ (accessed 09 Feb. 2013)

WARNING: don’t apply for the above PhD level positions with your CNSP certification because you will not be shortlisted, but instead you will be blacklisted for not reading the instructions for potential applicants. This will negatively affect your future chance of being hired by Google Nigeria, either as a multi-purpose network/router checker or as a miscellaneous IT errand boy grin

So my dear obi2012, you now see why proper research is good dont you? Someone reading your post will look at only the CEOs and conclude that people that run these companies don’t have PhDs....or worse, that PhD holders dont work for Google and Microsoft as software/hardware engineers.

Continue with your CNSPSP certification for the rest of your life. One day, Google will invite you to come and head their Lagos Office because you have 13 certificates from CISCO and 7 from Microsoft, abi? If the IT firms in Nigeria dont value PhD holders, whose fault is it? Should Nigeria remain backward? A long time ago, people who read BSc geography mostly worked as secondary school teachers. Today (with climate change and environmental issues) they are sought after, left, right and centre. Nigerian IT industry will grow. Too bad, people like you will try to stiffle the hiring of PhD holders due to sheer ignorance.

Again, let me be clear: your certificates will help you stay employed and win some consulting jobs in your early career. But remember this: A very good Masters degree will last longer and carry your career further in the long run than 15 CISCO, JAVA and Microsoft certificates put together. Ask yourself this question every morning: "Am I going to continue writing software or trouble shooting networks all my life?" If the answer is no, then think ahead and when I say ahead, I mean like 20 years down the line, when your mates start becoming Directors and so on.

PS: I have not even bothered to dig deeper and show you other middle management staff of Google. Plenty of them have PhDs. Anyone who cares can review other global IT and Engineering companies and investigate those behind the scenes, helping to make top decisions not only at executive level, but on the technical side too. See examples:

Microsoft board:
Dr. Maria M. Klawe
Dr. Helmut Panke

Apple board
Arthur D. Levinson, Ph.D.
Ronald D. Sugar, Ph.D

NOTE: this ‘argument’ about PhDs is not only about IT industry. It applies to most science, medical and engineering professions. And when I say 'run things' it is not only for director/management level jobs. As you can see from the Google link above, software engineers with PhD degrees are currently in demand. And this is just Google only. You will find the same demand in other IT firms.

Most of those PhD jobs in IT as advertised by Google end up going to Indians and Chinese, because Nigerians (like you, obi2012) are busy sweeping cobwebs from LAN networks and trouble-shooting routers.

Please, carry your CISCO certificate and apply to Google for these jobs now? You can argue with the selection panel that your CNNSP (or whatever) gives you the same skill sets as a PhD holder and you deserve the same salary. Mtcheeww! You are pathetic.

Agreed that in some professions, e.g. Journalism, if you want to be the editor of say, Vanguard Newspaper for example, you may not need a PhD. Just toil away, writing stories about MEND and Boko Haram terrorist and in 20 – 25 years, you will luckily be promoted to the editor position (if your tribe and religion fits into the quota, that is).

I frankly don’t know why I am even wasting my time going back and forth with someone like you who cannot even carry out ordinary google search about the management and employees of global firms.

No wonder people like you despise research and PhDs. And yet you want Nigeria to be technologically advanced. How? This can only happen when we respect research and development. Why didnt we build and launch the satellites (like Nigcomsat) ourselves? Clue: we dont have the right quality and quantity of engineers to do so. Indians, Chinese, Malaysians, South Africans, Iranians, Brazilians and Egyptians are FAR ahead of us in this regard. Meanwhile, our own software and hardware engineers are busy obtaining CISCO certificates so that they can 'hammer' and drive Honda EODs.

A PhD degree is not for everyone. It is also not by force. It has its appropriate place in every modern society and in professions (including IT) it is becoming ever more important. The last thing anyone should do is to disrespect it or denigrate it simply because they dont know its worth. We are living in the knowledge era. In fact, nowadays, it is not enough to know: it is who knows FIRST that gets competitive advantage. That is why Apple and Samsung are competing to get their hands on patented technology before others.

obi2012: The only place where a phd in CS (i.e. computer science) might be valuable is on wall street as a quant or designing trading systems but even then you'd have to be very good at programming and you wont be getting hired into management.
(italics are mine)...

In the light of overwhelming evidence of PhD jobs in computing as shown above, can you now see how dumb your above statement sounds for the whole world to see on Nairaland? So PhD holders in computers science can only work for wall street and have to combine their programming skills with juju isnt it? Oya go and tell Microsoft to delete those thousands of PhD vacancies. And since according to the Gospel of Obi2012, PhD holders wont get into management, then lets start a campaign so that Google and others will sack their current management staff who have PhDs. Mtcheew!!!!

So Mr (or Mazi) Obi2012, every level of education has its rightful place and whether you agree or not, a PhD is at the top of the knowledge food chain....unless of course your skewed way of thinking tells you that Microsoft and Google will pay PhD holders the same salary as people who have CCNP certificate plus 10 years experience. Tufia!

Little knowledge is dangerous (Dr Alban, 1992)

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by drzed: 7:44pm On Feb 09, 2013
Coolcube: The worth of a PhD degree can not be quantifed in term of what it will add to the human development of the bearer (I mean those who did it honestly without bribing their way through). I believe that the bedrock of a nation's development not only lies in its natural resources, but on how developed are its human resources which will handle the natural resources. One of the ways of developing the human resources is quality education which its apex is PhD. In terms of money, a fresh PhD holder is paid 134k before tax in the Federal universities while private employers of labour or other govt jobs may pay more or less. However money should not be the motivating factor for getting a PhD. Either one wants to lecture or not, developing oneself intellectually is GOOD.
I'm 21 yrs old currently doing my Masters degree and I hope to get a PhD before 27 because I want to develop myself intellectually and conduct researches to proffer solutions to some of the problems facing the human race.

I wish you the very best. Stay focused and dont let people who are intellectually-challenged or financially-intoxicated stop you from achieving your dreams. The world needs people like you.

The most technologically advanced countries in the world (Japan, Germany, USA) rely on their human ingenuity and not financial muscle or raw materials. Apart from USA, which raw materials do Germany and Japan have if not highly skilled people? Carry go bros!

ps: I recommend this website for tips and tricks about research skills and PhD degrees: http://www.vitae.ac.uk/

I am putting together a small guide on why you need a PhD and what you can do with it (as per career). Hopefully, it will encourage and guide people to not only enroll, but understand the multiple career options available even before they finish their programs.
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by obi2012: 9:50pm On Feb 09, 2013
LOL.. you emphasize the need of people using their search properly..

Anyone knowledgeable would know that Larry Page never earned his Phd.. So when you finish preaching about using search, u sef use search yourself..

http://sparks.wisdomjobs.com/20-sergey-brin-and-larry-page.html

Of all the jobs you posted that were looking for phd's, not one of them was a management job like you claimed.. They were all engineering jobs not management. Rarely do engineers make it out of engineering into management. Dont tell me about my field.. I have worked and currently work here.. Of all the board members you posted, less than 20 percent of what you posted is made up of Phd's.. Most of the boards are made up of mba's.. there is a comparable of amount of bachelors degree holders on your boards to the amount of phd's.. Does that mean everyone should stop at a bachelors since its automatically the road to success?

I dont understand why you keep mentioning masters and mentioning me in it.. I have a masters, i have never said anything negative about earning a masters.. The only cert i have is a PMP and it is not vendor specific.. Its a project management cert. My problem and my stance in this post has always been against the phd and not against a phd in general but against a phd in the original posters case..

Any objective person will tell you that every degree makes sense depending on the persons goals and the person in question. A phd might make sense for someone who genuinely loves a field and wants to make a difference in it.. It isnt a degree for someone who just wants to make money.. Phd isnt the ticket to money.. In the end, its just a degree

You can have a phd and be a failure in life, you can have a bachelors or even no degree and be a success.. If phd's were the ticket to prosperity, how many nigerian leaders have phd's? How many are educated? How are the less educated managing to rule the so called educated phd's while they sit back and watch?

You have a phd right? Which kind of phd are you? How many company boards are you on? How much are you making?

It is this mentality that always puts nigerians behind everyone else.. We are overeducated as a society and underemployed.. If your goal is to make money, figure out a way to make money.. If you are genuinely interested in a field and see yourself long term in a field and feel a phd is the edge you need to get ahead, go for it and if you are good at what you do, money will come with it.

A man that picks up trash can be a multimillionaire, a toilet cleaner can be a multimillionaire if he comes up with a great plan and is very good at it, over education such as a phd is not the key to success..

You will never get rich working for someone else legally, you can be comfortable unless you start doing illegal things.. Again, it also depends on your definition of rich.. Who studies a phd IT security in nigeria? 95% of the IT professors in nigeria have never even see a multi-OS or multi vendor networking environment, how am i supposed to do cutting edge research with outdated equipment?

How will i learn advanced security concepts where most things are theoretical, where my professor hasnt heard of pico, emacs, vi or cant even use basic unix functions like ls -l or grep? How am i supposed to learn vulnerability testing when my school network is still on dialup and the IT department is entitled to one server running windows 2000 server? How am i supposed to perform any penetration testing when the network wont even stay up long enough for me to telnet into a different server? How am i supposed to learn anything when the internet is so slow that i cant even login to the server through a remote session because the connection keeps timing out?

Oga, please you sound like one of those people that got a phd because they wanted doctor next to their name and couldn't get accepted into UNILAG for medicine so they decided to compensate by getting a phd in zoology or something..

People dont get phd's for money, they get phd's because they love the material and are genuinely interested in it.. All a phd prepares you for is to become an employee for someone else..

People need to stop using education as a means to earn a living.. Be open minded, explore other options..

How much is a phd earning in nigeria even after all their education? If you are lucky, you might hit N500k a month, highest N1 mill a month.. Is that money? Pleeeassseee..

drzed: My guy, you funny no be small o! Let me try and respond to the key issues you raised in your long, but meaningless and misguided post.

Who is spreading misinformation. Don’t sit in your face-me-I-face-you shop with a laptop loaded with Airtel credit and be spreading ignorance. Teaching and research is only ONE among many things you can do with a PhD. Clearly you have no idea the kind of jobs that are waiting for PhD holders in companies like Google, Apple and Microsoft. But by the end of this post, you will know better. For now, let me just tempt you with just one link to exclusive PhD jobs @ Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft-careers.com/key/microsoft-phd-jobs.html (accessed 09 Feb 2013) There are about 4,349 PhD level jobs advertised on by Microsoft as at time of writing.

Yes they will hire and they do hire. I am not talking about the sort of backwater IT firms you probably rub shoulders with in Nigeria. Check the real world and see how many firms hire PhD holders (see more examples much further below).

And who told you PhD holders dont have any real-world experience? It is moronic, nay, imbecilic to conclude that people with PhDs have only being reading books all their lives. People like you not only suffer from stereo-typing PhD, you actually dont know what PhD is all about. Afterall, in your own words, PhD is good for teaching and research (you could have added 'only' at the end of that sentence to complete your ignorant assessment).

What their superior (PhD) knowledge and skill will give them, your 12 years of trouble-shooting networks will not give you. Your certification in the long run is just for routine day-to-day work. Jaki work. You are handicapped when it comes to deep-rooted thinking and original research which will pave the way. In fact, PhD is such a unique degree that even Google hires FRESH PhD graduates in software engineering, regardless of whether they have 10 years experience and 17 CISCO certifications (see down below).

Most patented technology that is at the core of Google, Microsoft, Apple and Samsung technologies were designed by PhD holders. Fact. Siddon dia wit ya CISCO certifications. Relative to your civil servant friends, I am sure your CV looks damn good. grin

You are not exactly very smart are you? I said PEOPLE who ‘run things’. I am not referring to the sole heads, owners, founders or CEOs only. Are you sure these companies dont have 'one' PhD on their boards? ARE YOU VERY SURE? Your children and grandchildren will read this post in future o! Anyway, see evidence and example from Google below.

Heow. Chineke mei! Your propensity for ignorance is flabberwhelming and overgasting. There are 6 members of Google’s Executive and the THREE top members each has a PhD (or the PhD is ongoing). As for those that don’t have PhDs, check their designations: they are marketers, legal people or songitos who make noises around). See their names and refer to the link below.

GOOGLE'S EXECUTIVE OFFICERS
(1) Larry Page (Chief Executive Officer) - Ph.D. at Stanford University
(2) Eric E. Schmidt (Executive Chairman) - Ph.D. in Computer Science, University of California, Berkeley
(3) Sergey Brin (Co-Founder) - currently on leave from the Ph.D. programme in Computer Science at Stanford University
(4) Nikesh Arora (Senior VP and Chief Business Officer) - MBA from Northeastern University
(5) David C. Drummond (Senior VP, and Chief Legal Officer) - Bachelor’s degree, Santa Clara University
(6) Patrick Pichette (Senior VP and Chief Financial Officer) - Master’s in Philosophy, Politics and Economics, Oxford

Source: http://www.google.co.uk/about/company/facts/management/

Also the top two members of Google’s Senior Leadership have PhDs
(1) Alan Eustace (Senior Vice President, Knowledge) Ph.D. in computer science, University of Central Florida
(2) Amit Singhal (Senior vice president) PhD in computer science, Cornell University

Infact, PhD degree is sooooo VERY important that Google actually created a unique website to attract people with PhDs, who can think and come up with new ideas. See the link below:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/jobs/students/tech/phd/ (accessed 09 Feb. 2013)

Available opportunities
• Software Developer, PhD New Grad 2013 - Montreal
• Software Engineer, PhD New Grad 2013 - North America
• Software Engineer, PhD New Grad - Europe
• Software Engineering Intern, PhD, Summer 2013 - North America

WARNING: don’t apply for the above positions with your CNSP certification because you will not be shortlisted, but instead you will be blacklisted for not reading instructions for applicants. This will negatively affect your future chance of being hired by Google Nigeria, as a multi-purpose network/router checker and errand boy grin

So my dear obi2012, you now see why proper research is good isn’t it? Someone reading your post will look at only the CEOs and conclude that people that run these companies don’t have PhDs.

Continue with your CNSPSP certification for the rest of your life. One day, Google will invite you to come and head their Lagos Office because you have 13 certificates from CISCO and 7 from Microsoft, abi?

Again, let me be clear: your certificates will help you stay employed and win some consulting jobs in your early career. But remember this: A very good Masters degree will last longer and carry your career further in the long run than 15 CISCO, JAVA and Microsoft certificates put together. Ask yourself this question every morning: "Am I going to continue writing software or trouble shooting networks all my life?" If the answer is no, then think ahead and when I say ahead, I mean like 20 years down the line, when your mates start becoming Directors and so on.

PS: I have not even bothered to dig deeper and show you other middle management staff of Google. Plenty of them have PhDs. Anyone who cares can review other global IT and Engineering companies and investigate those behind the scenes, helping to make top decisions not only at executive level, but on the technical side too. See examples:

Microsoft board:
Dr. Maria M. Klawe
Dr. Helmut Panke

Apple board
Arthur D. Levinson, Ph.D.
Ronald D. Sugar, Ph.D

NOTE: this ‘argument’ about PhDs is not only about IT industry. It applies to most science, medical and engineering professions. And when I say 'run things' it is not only for director/management level jobs. As you can see from the Google link above, software engineers with PhD degrees are currently in demand. And this is just Google only. You will find the same demand in other IT firms.

Most of those PhD jobs in IT as advertised by Google end up going to Indians and Chinese, because Nigerians (like you, obi2012) are busy sweeping cobwebs from LAN networks and trouble-shooting routers.

Please, carry your CISCO certificate and apply to Google for these jobs now? You can argue with the selection panel that your CNNSP (or whatever) gives you the same skill sets as a PhD holder and you deserve the same salary. Mtcheeww! You are pathetic.

Agreed that in some professions, e.g. Journalism, if you want to be the editor of say, Vanguard Newspaper for example, you may not need a PhD. Just toil away, writing stories about MEND and Boko Haram terrorist and in 20 – 25 years, you will luckily be promoted to the editor position (if your tribe and religion fits into the quota, that is).

I frankly don’t know why I am even wasting my time going back and forth with someone like you who cannot even carry out ordinary google search about the management and employees of global firms.

No wonder people like you despise research and PhDs. And yet you want Nigeria to be technologically advanced. How? This can only happen when we respect research and development. Why didnt we build and launch the satellites (like Nigcomsat) ourselves? Clue: we dont have the right quality and quantity of engineers to do so. Indians, Chinese, Malaysians, South Africans, Iranians, Brazilians and Egyptians are FAR ahead of us in this regard. Meanwhile, our own software and hardware engineers are busy obtaining CISCO certificates so that they can 'hammer' and drive Honda EODs.

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by obi2012: 10:01pm On Feb 09, 2013
again, you are posting all the jobs that are software jobs which are tech related and max out at $130k or so.. what is top of food chain in $130k? A CCNP with 10 years of experience is probably a CIO or higher earning $350k or more..

MBA's first years from top 30 schools average $200k or more in investment banking, consulting, fortune 500 rotational programs, tech management and product management. How is phd top of the food chain?

LOL at microsoft paying their phd candidates more than people with 10 years of experience.. Keep googling away your internet credit while people that have actually worked with these companies talk...

You posted one person in google management with a phd.. Larry Page and Sergey Brin attempted phd's and dropped out because they knew better than to think a phd is the way to make money..

drzed:

In the light of overwhelming evidence of PhD jobs in computing as shown above, can you now see how dumb your above statement sounds for the whole world to see on Nairaland? So PhD holders in computers science can only work for wall street and have to combine their programming skills with juju isnt it? Oya go and tell Microsoft to delete those thousands of PhD vacancies. And since according to the Gospel of Obi2012, PhD holders wont get into management, then lets start a campaign so that Google and others will sack their current management staff who have PhDs. Mtcheew!!!!

So Mr (or Mazi) Obi2012, every level of education has its rightful place and whether you agree or not, a PhD is at the top of the knowledge food chain....unless of course your skewed way of thinking tells you that Microsoft and Google will pay PhD holders the same salary as people who have CCNP certificate plus 10 years experience. Tufia!

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by drzed: 10:33pm On Feb 09, 2013
obi2012: LOL.. you emphasize the need of people using their search properly..

Anyone knowledgeable would know that Larry Page never earned his Phd.. So when you finish preaching about using search, u sef use search yourself..

http://sparks.wisdomjobs.com/20-sergey-brin-and-larry-page.html

Kai, see mumu-rism at its peak! I am relying on official Google documentation for Larry Page's PhD claims. No where in the Google documentation, did it say he did NOT graduate with a PhD. As an example, we know that his colleague and friend (Brin) is currently on leave from his PhD studies. He may have defended his thesis and is waiting (for correction/graduation). https://www.google.com/about/company/facts/management/

Is your brain running Windows 95? And of ALL the people I mentioned, it was only Larry Page that you could single out?

obi2012: Of all the jobs you posted that were looking for phd's, not one of them was a management job like you claimed.. They were all engineering jobs not management. Rarely do engineers make it out of engineering into management. Dont tell me about my field.. I have worked and currently work here.. Of all the board members you posted, less than 20 percent of what you posted is made up of Phd's..

Phd isnt the ticket to money.. In the end, its just a degree

I believe that I have demonstrated with clear examples, the vast array of jobs available to PhD holders: from executive level, to management level, down to software and engineering jobs using Google as a focus/case study. This was to counter your dumb argument that PhD is good for teaching and research (only).

obi2012: You can have a phd and be a failure in life, you can have a bachelors or even no degree and be a success.. If phd's were the ticket to prosperity, how many nigerian leaders have phd's? How many are educated? How are the less educated managing to rule the so called educated phd's while they sit back and watch?

You have a phd right? Which kind of phd are you? How many company boards are you on? How much are you making?

I know you will fall back to money, money, money. Like I said, success and progress of a society is not all about money. And wetin consyn you with my salary? Make I send you credit ne, abi wetin? If na money you want, carry gun and stand for Express road nah? Why you go school

obi2012: It is this mentality that always puts nigerians behind everyone else.. We are overeducated as a society and underemployed.. If your goal is to make money, figure out a way to make money.. If you are genuinely interested in a field and see yourself long term in a field and feel a phd is the edge you need to get ahead, go for it and if you are good at what you do, money will come with it.

Fail! We are not nearly as educated as we need to be. Dont confuse the preponderance of Federal, State and Private Universities with education. Quality comes before quantity. Most of our graduates are half baked. You said it (and proved it) yourself down below. And PLEASE our main goal as a society is not to make money.... It is to make progress and to develop, technologically, politically and yes, economically. Some of us can and will make money in the process. And money is not what makes us different from Chimpanzees and Apes. It is our brain! (surprise, surprise).

obi2012: A man that picks up trash can be a multimillionaire, a toilet cleaner can be a multimillionaire if he comes up with a great plan and is very good at it, over education such as a phd is not the key to success..

Ehn, we don hear. Mr millionaire.

obi2012: How will i learn advanced security concepts where most things are theoretical, where my professor hasnt heard of pico, emacs, vi or cant even use basic unix functions like ls -l or grep? How am i supposed to learn vulnerability testing when my school network is still on dialup and the IT department is entitled to one server running windows 2000 server? How am i supposed to perform any penetration testing when the network wont even stay up long enough for me to telnet into a different server? How am i supposed to learn anything when the internet is so slow that i cant even login to the server through a remote session because the connection keeps timing out?

Okay, we get it and we sympathize with you in the sense that: (a) your are not able to grasp advanced theoretical concepts like your Indian and Chinese contemporaries; (b)Your school is primitive in IT; (c) your professors are using stoneage curriculum. But lets stick to the core issue: how is that the fault of PhD as a whole? Are you sure you are not half-baked? grin grin grin

obi2012: Oga, please you sound like one of those people that got a phd because they wanted doctor next to their name and couldn't get accepted into UNILAG for medicine so they decided to compensate by getting a phd in zoology or something..

At least I am not half-baked. And I am not trouble-shooting CISCO networks. Thats beneath me. If only you knew.

obi2012: People dont get phd's for money, they get phd's because they love the material and are genuinely interested in it.. All a phd prepares you for is to become an employee for someone else..

How on earth would YOU of all people know WHAT motivates people to get PhDs? and how many PhD holders do you employ? Mr employer!

obi2012: People need to stop using education as a means to earn a living.. Be open minded, explore other options..

Okay, from your angle, education is not to be used to make a living, abi? We should all go to school and get degrees just because we dont have something to do with our time abi? You are a deluded person who does not understand how a modern society works! Listen to yourself!! Please stop posting on Nairaland. Some innocent, naive kids may take you seriously and think that education is not meant to make a living. Are you a member of Boko Haraam? Just asking o, because your words sound awfully similar to what those guys are aiming for.

obi2012: How much is a phd earning in nigeria even after all their education? If you are lucky, you might hit N500k a month, highest N1 mill a month.. Is that money? Pleeeassseee..

Life is much more than money. When I spoke about people (Nigerians) who just want to 'hammer', I was talking about people like you, apparently. People whose insatiable and unquenchable appetite for money by all means necessary, has made the country so corrupt and evil. If Nigerians dont value PhD, does that make the degree a useless endeavour? We are backwards in terms of development because too many of us in Nigeria think like you.

You should be banned in Nairaland for spreading and encouraging ignorance. grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by obi2012: 10:51pm On Feb 09, 2013
LOL.. see stupidity.. again, where in the Google facts about management did they say Larry Page completed a phd? You claim to have a phd yet you lack reading comprehension.. It said he founded google while pursuing his phd, he dropped out and did not complete his degree.. He is not a phd holder.. Common sense

You are relying on official google documentation, yet you can reason simple english from their documentation..

I oversee 13 phd holders in my department..

Lol, wetin concern me concern money? The OP said he wanted money as part of his Phd package, thats my reasoning for bringing money into it..

You failed to mention how much you earn as a big time phd holder, you failed to mention what your phd specialization is in.. As usual, avoiding the question.. Sorry, you cant afford to send me credit Mr. Phd, my billables per hour is not calculated in naira.. LOL

You said phd's run organizations, yet you pointed to one person in multiple organizations (Eric Schmidt)

No one said nigeria should be all about money but if you have common sense, you would read that the topic said "financially".. LOL, well good to hear troubleshooting networks is beneath you.. Would have been nice for you though, at least you wouldn't be living in face me i face you in yaba? I'll be sure to pass the information on to my cisco buddies though that their $120k a year job is beneath a LASU lecturer..

LOL, University of Texas (Ranked 23 in the world) is behind technologically, i wonder where that puts the school you went to in nigeria.. grin

drzed:

Kai, see mumu-rism at its peak! I am relying on official Google documentation for Larry Page's PhD claims, while you are quoting a blog? So the blog is more authoritative than Google, abi? FAIL! https://www.google.com/about/company/facts/management/

Is your brain running Windows 95?

I believe that I have demonstrated with clear examples, the vast array of jobs available to PhD holders: from executive level, to management level, down to software and engineering jobs using Google as a focus/case study. This was to counter your dumb argument that PhD is good for teaching and research (only).

I know you will fall back to money, money, money. Like I said, success and progress of a society is not all about money. And wetin consyn you with my salary? Make I send you credit ne, abi wetin? If na money you want, carry gun and stand for Express road nah? Why you go school

Fail! We are not nearly as educated as we need to be. Dont confuse the preponderance of Federal, state and private university with education. Quality before quantity. Most of our graduates are half baked. You said it (and proved it) yourself down below. And PLEASE our goal as a society is not to make money. It is to make progress and develop. Some of us can and will make money in the process.

Ehn, we don hear. Mr millionaire.

Okay, we get it and we sympathize with you in the sense that: (a) your are not able to grasp advanced theoretical concepts like your Indian and Chinese contemporaries; (b)Your school is primitive in IT; (c) your professors are using stoneage curriculum. But lets stick to the core issue: how is that the fault of PhD as a whole? Are you sure you are not half-baked? grin grin grin

At least I am not half-baked. And I am not trouble-shooting CISCO networks. Thats beneath me. If only you knew.

How on earth would YOU of all people know WHAT motivates people to get PhDs? and how many PhD holders do you employ? Mr employer!

Okay, from your angle, education is not to be used to make a living, abi? We should all go to school and get degrees just because we dont have something to do with our time abi? You are a deluded person who does not understand how a modern society works! Listen to yourself!! Please stop posting on Nairaland. Some innocent, naive kids may take you seriously and think that education is not meant to make a living. Are you a member of Boko Haraam? Just asking o, because your words sound awfully similar to what those guys are aiming for.

Life is much more than money. When I spoke about people (Nigerians) who just want to 'hammer', I was talking about people like you, apparently. If Nigerians dont value PhD, does that make the degree a useless endeavour? We are backwards in terms of development because too many of us in Nigeria think like you.

You should be banned in Nairaland for spreading and encouraging ignorance. grin
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by drzed: 11:07pm On Feb 09, 2013
@obi2012:
I dont know why this PhD thing dey pain you so much that you despise it and people who aim for it. But you proved it above that your brain cannot handle advanced theories. Maybe thats why.

All these 'I oversee 13 PhD holders in my department' and 'Texas University' and 'my CISCO colleagues earning $120K per annum' doesnt fool me or impress me one bit. Scan your degree with your passport photo attached, let us confirm that you went to Texas, YabaTech or wherever. I have never mentioned the schools I have attended because it is not about me, my qualifications or my ego. It is about the issue at hand (PhD) and its worth.

In summary, anyone who reads what you have been writing since yesterday can deduce the following:

(1) You dont know what PhD is all about (what the degree entails and what you can do with it)
(2) You are incapable of grasping advanced theories, which means you cant do research (i.e. why you hate PhD)
(3) You think the goal of the human race or any society is to make money (hint: try Okija shrine)
(4) You have inferiority complex, relative to PhD holders (get over it)
(4) You make dumb and stewpid assumptions about things (e.g. PhD degree, need for education, human development) and about people (e.g. myself, PhD holders) which you know very little about.

You dont know jack about me. Stop assuming and making it personal.

Arguing with you is waste of time. Go and make money. Obingote!

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by obi2012: 11:11pm On Feb 09, 2013
Sorry, I don't deal in theories, I deal in practical.. Keep with your yabatech abi na lasu theories, let other people keep growing your economy and doing stuff with themselves..

drzed: @obi2012:
I dont know why this PhD thing dey pain you so much that you despise it and people who aim for it. But you proved it above that your brain cannot handle advanced theories. Maybe thats why.

All these 'I oversee 13 PhD holders in my department' and 'Texas University' and 'my CISCO colleagues earning 120K per annum' doesnt fool me one bit. Scan your degree with your passport photo attached, let us confirm that you went to Texas, YabaTech or wherever. I have never mentioned the schools I have attended because it is not about me, my qualifications or my ego. It is about the issue at hand (PhD) and its worth.

In summary, anyone who reads what you have been writing since yesterday can deduce the following:

(1) You dont know what PhD is all about (what the degree entails and what you can do with it)
(2) You are incapable of grasping advanced theories, which means you cant do research (i.e. why you hate PhD)
(3) You think the goal of the human race or any society is to make money (hint: try Okija shrine)
(4) You have inferiority complex, relative to PhD holders (get over it)
(4) You make dumb and stewpid assumptions about things (e.g. PhD degree, need for education, human development) and about people (e.g. myself, PhD holders) which you know very little about.

You dont know jack about me. Stop assuming and making it personal.

Arguing with you is waste of time. Go and make money. Obingote!

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by drzed: 11:14pm On Feb 09, 2013
obi2012: Sorry, I don't deal in theories, I deal in practical.. Keep with your yabatech abi na lasu theories, let other people keep growing your economy and doing stuff with themselves..

Behind every practical issue, is a solid scientific fact and explanation. But how would you know?
Oh, sorry, you are theoretically-challenged. Go and troubleshoot windows abeg!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by obi2012: 11:26pm On Feb 09, 2013
Lol, I will. Right after you go and sell tests to your Lasu students to pay rent
drzed:

Behind every practical issue, is a solid scientific fact and explanation. But how would you know?
Oh, sorry, you are theoretically-challenged. Go and troubleshoot windows abeg!
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Phd Financially? by drzed: 4:08pm On Feb 10, 2013
obi2012: Lol, I will. Right after you go and sell tests to your Lasu students to pay rent

obi2012, I would like to think that you are at least 21 years old. Although age is not directly proportional to maturity.

I cant help notice that rather than face the core issues at hand (with facts), you always find a way to discredit or tarnish my comments/opinions based on your prejudice and/or ignorance. For example, you are implying that I am a lecturer at LASU who sells tests/handouts. And indirectly, you are implying that LASU is such a downtrodden place that habours hungry PhD holders who scheme money from students by selling test questions. You are indeed pathetic. Without lecturers, you would not be where you are today.

In any case, you are wrong on all accounts. For starters, I am not even based in Nigeria. But even if I were, and I were to be in academics, and I were to be posted at LASU, well, I would do my 'LASU job' with pride. See, not everyone is hungry or money-crazy like yourself (it may be surprising and even annoying for you to learn this, but it is very true). Speaking of money, you have no idea how much I earn or what I do for a living. Continue dreaming that you are 'wealthier' than everyone else who has a PhD.

Clearly, you do not value education or research and you proved it yourself so many times above. You confuse going to school with education. Just as you confuse repairing broken down networks with research.

I suggest you (and others who may be inclined to think like you) should watch this recent youtube video clip by Dr. Benjamin Carson. One of the brightest minds in contemporary America. He is a high-achieving and highly decorated neurosurgeon. A black man that I am very proud of.

Pay attention to what he says about importance and role of education for a country's progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA

Enjoy whatever remains of your weekend.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Interview Questions Are Asked Abroad And In Nigeria / Earning 30k Monthly Salary As A Graduate / Vacancies @ Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) - July 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 247
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.