Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,931 members, 7,814,161 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests (14448 Views)

Rivers University Expels Student For Having Speech And Hearing Challenges / Covenant University Expels 200 Students For Missing Church Service? / Covenant University Expels Over 200 Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests by ideee03(f): 11:17pm On Feb 07, 2013
Symphony007: The word "drugs" is too loosely stated. What kind of drug is it? Marijuana, canabis(which frankly don't qualify as drugs) or cocain, crystal meth. In which case the school is also in trouble as how such banned substance made their way into their campus must be answered. The whole thing is just shambolic!
Marijuana and cannabis are the same thing,one's just the botanical name.LOL@"shambolic"
Re: Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests by claremont(m): 11:20pm On Feb 07, 2013
ELgordo: Damn! Things don change. . . Those dayz we used to get STONED. . . FADED. . . WASTED on Indo weed b4 getting into exam halls in Uniben . . . But now they testing for WTF Plz legalize that sh@t!!!
I feel you my guy! grin

I remember with fond memories how me and my friends used to go to some 'sharp corners' to smoke weed. It was all part of the fun of going through uni, and allowing uni to go through you.

1 Like

Re: Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests by CohenJane: 11:25pm On Feb 07, 2013
4bobo: um. what is the job of the church ? they should have just counsel them and monitor them till they graduate under an oath of good behaviour.this is what church suppose to be doing. many did it ignorantly but right direction can make them be better in life. expelling them will not solve their problem but compound it and later contribute nuisance to the public.if out of frustration,they started carrying drugs to Malaysia, and get caught,the church will start condemning.but they started it. church is losing his spiritual focus.
every thing is not about money.

[size=20pt]100000000000000 LIKES[/size]
Re: Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests by CohenJane: 11:29pm On Feb 07, 2013
IzuGod7: EVAJOY GHANA ADDMISSION
Think of degree we have got it, study in Ghana in accredited universities admission in progress from April 2013 ... bla bla bla

you know the funniest thing about this your Ghana university is that it is still Nigerian lecturers that will teach them.

I know of several lecturers from UNILAG that also teaches in Ghana universities and also serve as their HODs. E.g. Dr. Isimoya, Finance Dept, UNILAG.
Re: Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests by Hearme(m): 12:12am On Feb 08, 2013
Bleep U: MAY GOD/ALLAH PUNISH WHOEVER CONCOCTED THIS PLAN.. Idiotic school.
YOU CAN GO AND SMOKE WEED AND COCAINE IN YOUR ISLAMIC UNIVERSITIES FOR FREE. YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW ITS AGAINST OUR LAWS IN NIJA. TRY IT IN SAUDI IF YOU WONT BE AMPUTATED. NONSENSE JELOUS TALK.
Re: Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests by Hearme(m): 12:18am On Feb 08, 2013
micmond: Were the students parents invited to brief them on why their children are being expelled?
SORRY DO YOU MEAN DURING THE PTA MEETING? EVEN BORDERS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS ARE EXPELLED WITHOUT THE KNOWLEDGE OF THEIR PARENT. NOT TO TALK OF A UNI.
Re: Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests by vislabraye(m): 12:20am On Feb 08, 2013
disboy: Will they also test their church members 4 drugs b4 collecting tithes from them?

If possible, yes.

Were they caught with drugs in the university premises? I think that should have carried more weight. I feel sorry for them after all the wasted years.
I feel misdemeanor should be distinguished from criminal acts. But if NUC thinks its right, then it is.
Re: Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests by vislabraye(m): 12:21am On Feb 08, 2013
Hearme: SORRY DO YOU MEAN DURING THE PTA MEETING? EVEN BORDERS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS ARE EXPELLED WITHOUT THE KNOWLEDGE OF THEIR PARENT. NOT TO TALK OF A UNI.

PTA grin grin grin
Re: Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests by Hearme(m): 12:25am On Feb 08, 2013
all4naija: Stop fooling around. You are the foolish person here. Is that enough reason to test the students for illicit drugs? That is offense against the rights of those individuals. What next is to test them for Alcohol.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING DOPING TEST BY SPORT BODIES
Re: Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests by Nobody: 12:37am On Feb 08, 2013
Hearme: WHAT HAPPENS DURING DOPING TEST BY SPORT BODIES
Pleas. Can you relate what happens in sports with the University? If you can I can point out the differences.
Re: Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests by mensdept: 3:35am On Feb 08, 2013
Only in Nigeria can you have "Redeemer" University.
Re: Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests by Eisenhower(m): 4:13am On Feb 08, 2013
4bobo: um. what is the job of the church ? they should have just counsel them and monitor them till they graduate under an oath of good behaviour.this is what church suppose to be doing. many did it ignorantly but right direction can make them be better in life. expelling them will not solve their problem but compound it and later contribute nuisance to the public.if out of frustration,they started carrying drugs to Malaysia, and get caught,the church will start condemning.but they started it. church is losing his spiritual focus.
every thing is not about money.
...did you read this piece at all? They rejected the rehab programm which is an option and you want the school to still keep them to become infectious? No way! expel those addict! Let them go and smoke whatever they like in their father's house.
Re: Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests by Exmay(m): 5:55am On Feb 08, 2013
Nice Move by the School...
Re: Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests by blackbalang(f): 8:20am On Feb 08, 2013
[quote author=mctons]

etc...
Re: Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests by Nobody: 10:43am On Feb 08, 2013
teeo: Good decision, now some haters wld start bashing the school. Before ur hate comments, the school initiated a rehab programme but they rejected it.
Raising Godly students is still achievable.
What kind of rehab programme is that when the students don't even know what they are been rehabilitated for? Is like admitting someone in an hospital and the patient doesn't know the nature of his sickness and treatment he is being given. It's unethical and an infridgement of the fundamental rights of those students.
The followings are the sins and bridge of professional standards of Redeemer University as long as this case is concerned:
1. Collecting samples from these students without letting them know what it's mearnt for
2. Failing to show/let them know their test results
3. Failing to conduct proper counselling to let them know the effects of drugs to their health and how the school will help them out in becoming better persons through rehabilitation.
4. Expelling them without giving them fair hearing

It baffles me when religious institutions behave like this, acting like dictators-a behaviour that is expected of the world. These days, churches copy the world instead of the other way round. People no longer find solace in churches who are supposed to be epitome of care, love and standard institutionalisation, rather the world use these to lur unsuspecting members of the public to themselves and eventually put them in danger because the worldly care and love are not genuine.
Re: Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests by Funjay(m): 11:34am On Feb 08, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Abi o. .don't mind the fucking hypocrite.drug addiction shouldn't be a barrier to education.

When are we gonna learn in this country? what kind of education do we even receive these days that we can no longer think constructively?

Quite agreed with u that addiction should not be a barrier to education but they know the rules from day 1 and the penalties (the school make them read and sign code of conducts from Day 1, yr 1), yet they went ahead. They were given option of counselling and yet they refused. Must you learn in RUN or Convenant? That is why they are called private universities for christ sake, they have the freedom to set their minimum acceptable disciplinary standards.

Those guys can go to other schools that dont care now. U can not enlist in the military and be behaving like a Nigerian policeman, u will be booted out, its simple logic my brother.

Since they have the money (since they can afford RUN, they must be from a wealthy home), they should go to IVY league universities and see if places like Harvard, MIT or even Oxford will allow a drug addict who refused to be helped to obtain their prestigious certificates. Otherwise, den fit run Unilag, Uniport, Uniben and the likes and if they still want a private Uni in 9ija, Igbinedion will be top on their list.
Re: Redeemer University Expels 28 Students For Failing Drug Tests by star2008(m): 10:59am On Feb 09, 2013
Tell me one school (Uni.) in nigeria that student don't smoke indian hemp /igbo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

University Of Ilorin Admission Thread 2015/2016 (undergraduates) / National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) Scholarship 2017/2018 / Some Ethiopian Local Foods.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.