Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,710 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:42 PM

Tithes And Offerings - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes And Offerings (142456 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles / Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (141) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:56pm On Feb 12, 2013
Goshen360:

I have said it before and will say it again. What we give in worship places today when we come together is NEVER offering. It is religion that calls it offering. The NT simple teaches we should set aside 'certain portion' of our money for God when we come together. That's where our giving to our worship places comes in. If I'm talking out of scripture, then will you mind to show us where OFFERING = MONEY DONATIONS in worship places other than this scriptures.

Because you said that it is not offering doesn't mean that it's not. You may wish to call it charitable givings or alms but some call it tithes and offerings and is used in paying the full time ministers and for taking care of the gospel needs.

Goshen360:

New Living Translation (©2007)
On the first day of each week, you should each put aside a portion of the money you have earned. Don't wait until I get there and then try to collect it all at once. - 1 Corinthians 16:2

This is an example of a principle of a systematic and regular form of giving for the overall work of God. The word store that you omitted has the same meaning as storehouse that is in Malachi 3:10 where God's people have the responsibility to support the work of God and not leave it to the whims and caprices of charitable givers.

Goshen360:

The principle behind tithe is that we should support those who minister and labour in the word. That is supported in the NT BUT did Paul mentioned it MUST be by tithing to them? Supporting them could be in whatever form. That's the principle behind it, not by the means of legalistic tithing.

Legalistic tithing is your own Strawman.

Goshen360:

Do you now agree that the Levitical priesthood is abolished? If you agree, then does the tithe ascribed to the Levitical priesthood still stand or remained unabolished? The Levitical priesthood + offering sacrifice + burnt offering + interceding + tithe are ALL inseparable. When you talk of Levitical Priesthood, you talk of the above. All others are gone but only tithe remains right?

Strawman's job again.

Goshen360:

Besides, What is Moral Law? And lemme me show you that the whole law is gone!

So you are now free to commit adultery and robbery, no?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:00pm On Feb 12, 2013
JIL:

Of all the evidence that is there for you to read and consider, your major concern is about summarization.

You never had the intention to read the text or even accept if it was summarized to you in a few words.

People like you don't see anything wrong in telling people who have come to church to worship God that they are cursed with a curse because they fail to pay 10% of their income to you. Money that you feel by divine right belongs to you.

Like someone rightly said, your conscience is dead. The apostles gave their all for the gospel. They went around from village to village, country to country preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ to everyone and did not ask converts to pay them tithes. You sit down in your local church continuously preaching the same message to those who should be reaching out to the lost in the first place and believe that for all your efforts you deserve 10% of their income. Money indeed is the root of all evil.

I asked you to summarise and you went off to copy and paste the whole article. If you don't know how to summarise would you at least learn some basic bible knowledge? And for your information, the Bible does not say that Money is the root of all evil. Read your Bible and if you are of a teachable heart you might come to the knowledge of truth.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 8:10pm On Feb 12, 2013
we do expect false prophets and charlatans to defend their source of wealth.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 8:25pm On Feb 12, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Because you said that it is not offering doesn't mean that it's not. You may wish to call it charitable givings or alms but some call it tithes and offerings and is used in paying the full time ministers and for taking care of the gospel needs.

If you like call it offering. Nowhere does the NT refers offerings to MONEY given to worship places. Show us from scriptures that offerings = MONEY and let's stop going back and forth. Very simple!

OLAADEGBU:

This is an example of a principle of a systematic and regular form of giving for the overall work of God. [size=20pt]The word store that you omitted has the same meaning as storehouse that is in Malachi 3:10[/size] where God's people have the responsibility to support the work of God and not leave it to the whims and caprices of charitable givers.

You should know better before you made the above statement. Since you also like going into Greek and Hebrews from Dr. Henry's teachings. Here is it for you,

The Hebrews word and meaning for 'storehouse' is NOT the same as the Greek meaning of the Greek word for 'store' as used in 1 Corinthians 16:2.

STOREHOUSE, from here: http://www.biblestudytools.com/kjv/malachi/passage.aspx?q=malachi+3:9-10

Lexicon and dictionary opened here: http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/hebrew/kjv/owtsar.html

The KJV Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon

Definition
treasure, storehouse treasure (gold, silver, etc) store, supplies of food or drink treasure-house, treasury treasure-house storehouse, magazine treasury magazine of weapons (fig. of God's armoury) storehouses (of God for rain, snow, hail, wind, sea)

STORE as used in 1 Corinthians 16:2,

1) to gather and lay up, to heap up, store up
a) to accumulate riches
b) to keep in store, store up, reserve
2) metaph. so to live from day to day as to increase either the bitterness or the happiness of one's consequent lot.

How then does both words mean the same thing. Maybe next you will say 'storehouse' = 'The Church' grin Yes? grin

OLAADEGBU:

Legalistic tithing is your own Strawman.

Strawman's job again.

So you are now free to commit adultery and robbery, no?

The law of Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus has set us free from the law of sin and death. Adultery is NOWHERE encouraged in the NT. Robbery is NOWHERE encouraged in the NT. We don't commit adultery NOT because the law said so but according to the law of Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus, NOT according to the law of Moses.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labor, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needs. - Ephesians 4:28

The law of Spirit of Life in Christ is NOW written in our heart NOT on STONES brother. This is what you said was revealed but was concealed in the OT. That is it! I can go on and on.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 8:31pm On Feb 12, 2013
^^^

My Brother leave them to continue with their stealing, God will judge one day.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 8:49pm On Feb 12, 2013
payyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy your tithes, tight_fisted souls.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 8:52pm On Feb 12, 2013
JIL:

Burnt sacrifices and offering nko? Since God does not change should we continue to practice it?

Jesus did not commission you to go and collect tithes and defend it as if your life and existence depend on it. He said go ye to the world and preach the gospel
cool down. Have you paid your tithe? i have a gut feeling you'll feel more peace, you look like you need some.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 8:53pm On Feb 12, 2013
Image123: payyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy your tithes, tight_fisted souls.

Which 'tithe'? Or you meant 'TENTH' part grin The last time I checked, 'tithe' was cancelled but 'tenth', then you're talking..... grin
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 8:59pm On Feb 12, 2013
^^^^

Lovers of Money never fail to disappoint , lol !
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 9:13pm On Feb 12, 2013
Goshen360:

Which 'tithe'? Or you meant 'TENTH' part grin The last time I checked, 'tithe' was cancelled but 'tenth', then you're talking..... grin
are you kidding me? so you pay your tenth but not your tithe? did you drink something likely to contain some alcohol?

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 9:30pm On Feb 12, 2013
Image123:
are you kidding me? so you pay your tenth but not your tithe? did you drink something likely to contain some alcohol?

No, na ogogoro I drink grin Tenth part is NOT tithe. You need lecture. It's already going on in the other thread! grin
Re: Tithes And Offerings by JIL(m): 9:47pm On Feb 12, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

I asked you to summarise and you went off to copy and paste the whole article. If you don't know how to summarise would you at least learn some basic bible knowledge? And for your information, the Bible does not say that Money is the root of all evil. Read your Bible and if you are of a teachable heart you might come to the knowledge of truth.
You asked me to summarise? Do I look like one of your students? You are puffed up with pride.

You feel too important to read a passage because it doesn't seem to match up with your personal view and you're arrogant enough to ask someone else to summarise it for you.

I feel sorry for those who sit down and expect bible twisters like you to teach them the truth.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by JIL(m): 9:59pm On Feb 12, 2013
Image123:
cool down. Have you paid your tithe? i have a gut feeling you'll feel more peace, you look like you need some.
Your gut must be made of steel and baked in a furnace of greed. I wonder how you guys sleep at night.

It was chaps like you Paul was talking about when he talked about those who peddle the word of God for profit.

Your antecedents are known here. Those who know their left from their right don't take people like you seriously.

4 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by truthislight: 11:21pm On Feb 12, 2013
JIL:
Your gut must be made of steel and baked in a furnace of greed. I wonder how you guys sleep at night.

It was chaps like you Paul was talking about when he talked about those who peddle the word of God for profit.

Your antecedents are known here. Those who know their left from their right don't take people like you seriously.

How did you come to know this much?

Well, you seems to be very observant.

@Oladegbu and Image123.

The NT is the christian guide and was written for christians, or was the OT written for christians? No.

So, can you show us the instruction in the NT that instructed that christians are to pay tith though they are not to make animal offering/sacrifice and physical circumcision but should continue to pay tith?

This ^^ were standards in the OT.

I am awaiting your comment.

It is what the apostles of christ says that we take as christians, No?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 11:24pm On Feb 12, 2013
^
My brother, you'll soon see then evading your questions o. Watch out!
Re: Tithes And Offerings by truthislight: 11:27pm On Feb 12, 2013
Goshen360: ^
My brother, you'll soon see then evading your questions o. Watch out!

me, i will call a thief a thief.

We are suppose to say and stand for the truth like Jesus did.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 11:29pm On Feb 12, 2013
truthislight:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. See as I open my mouth? cheesy
Re: Tithes And Offerings by christemmbassey(m): 11:30pm On Feb 12, 2013
John 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we recieve of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. 23. AND THIS IS HIS COMMANDMENT, THAT WE SHOULD BELIEVE ON THE NAME OF HIS SON JESUS CHRIST and LOVE one another, as he gave us commandment.(KJV). No tithe pls.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 11:33pm On Feb 12, 2013
^ You're needed on the other thread please.....still on tithe. Tithe teachers have invaded this territory.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by christemmbassey(m): 11:37pm On Feb 12, 2013
truthislight:

they are not thieves but greedy and they need ur prayer not abuse. Peace.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Snowwy: 11:48pm On Feb 12, 2013
Goshen360:

No, na ogogoro I drink grin Tenth part is NOT tithe. You need lecture. It's already going on in the other thread! grin

Heb. 7:2_To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;

Heb. 7:6_But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.

@Goshen, pls thread softly with your opinions. If you can blatantly disregard scriptures like this, is it discussion on tithe that you will listen to? Careful.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 11:52pm On Feb 12, 2013
^ Abeg, go answer your question on the other thread please. cool
Re: Tithes And Offerings by christemmbassey(m): 12:04am On Feb 13, 2013
Snowwy:

@Goshen, pls thread softly with your opinions. If you can blatantly disregard scriptures like this, is it discussion on tithe that you will listen to? Careful.
Abraham never paid 'TITHE' but he gave a 'tenth' of the spoils as a gift of gratitude to Melchizedek for welcoming and thanking God for his victory, and returned the remainants to the rightfull owners, he did not take anytiing for himself because it was not an income and that was the 1st and the last tro out his life time he never paid nor instruct Isaac or his servants to pay tithe, so pre-law notion is a sinking sand.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:24am On Feb 13, 2013
Will a man rob God? - R.C. Sproul

In the last book of the Old Testament, God spoke through the prophet Malachi. He raised a provocative question: "Will man rob God?" This is somewhat startling because it suggests something that on the surface would appear to be impossible. How could anybody rob God of anything? Does it mean that we storm the ramparts of heaven and break into the inner sanctum of the divine treasury and help ourselves to things that God alone possesses? Such a thing is manifestly impossible. The strongest robber in the world could never scale the heights of heaven and defile the possessions of an omnipotent God, and so the very idea of robbing God seems absurd. Yet God gives answer to this question immediately dispelling any absurdity connected with it. He explains pointedly how indeed it is possible for human creatures to be guilty of theft against God. He answers his question, "Will man rob God?" saying, "Yet you are robbing me." The Israelite response is: "How have we robbed you?" To which God replies, "In your tithes and contributions" (3:8 ). God announces that to withhold the full measure of the tithe that He requires from His people is to be guilty of robbing God Himself. Because of this, He pronounces a curse upon the whole nation and commands them afresh to bring to Him all of the tithe.

When we think of tithing in Old Testament categories, we understand that the requirement involves returning to God the first fruits of one's prosperity. We are required to give ten percent of our gross annual income or gain. If a shepherd's flock produced ten new lambs, the requirement was that one of those lambs be offered to God. This offering is from the top. It is not an offering that is given after other expenses are met or after other taxes have been paid.

Recently, I read an article that gave an astonishing statistic that I find difficult to believe is accurate. It declared that of all of the people in America who identify themselves as evangelical Christians, only four percent of them return a tithe to God. If that statistic is accurate, it means that ninety-six percent of professing evangelical Christians regularly, systematically, habitually, and impenitently rob God of what belongs to Him. It also means that ninety-six percent of us are for this reason exposing ourselves to a divine curse upon our lives. Whether this percentage is accurate, one thing is certain — it is clear that the overwhelming majority of professing evangelical Christians do not tithe.

This immediately raises the question: "Why?" How is it possible that somebody who has given his life to Christ can withhold their financial gifts from Him? I have heard many excuses or explanations for this. The most common is the assertion that the tithe is part of the Old Testament law that has passed away with the coming of the New Testament. This statement is made routinely in spite of the complete lack of New Testament evidence for it. Nowhere in the New Testament does it teach us that the principle of the tithe has been abrogated. The New Testament does teach us, however, that the new covenant is superior to the old covenant. It is a covenant that gives more blessings to us than the old covenant did. It is a covenant that with its manifold blessings imposes greater responsibilities than the Old Testament did. If anything, the structure of the new covenant requires a greater commitment to financial stewardship before God than that which was required in the old covenant. That is to say, the starting point of Christian giving is the tithe. The tithe is not an ideal that only a few people reach but rather should be the base minimum from which we progress.

Church history also bears witness that many in the early church did not consider the tithe as having been abrogated in the new covenant. One of the earliest (turn of the second century) extrabiblical documents that survives to this day is the book of the Didache. The Didache gives practical instruction for Christian living. In the Didache, the principle of the giving of the first fruits or the tithe is mentioned as a basic responsibility for every Christian.

A second argument that people give to avoid the tithe is that they "cannot afford it." What that statement really means is that they cannot pay their tithe and pay all the other expenses they have incurred. Again, in their minds the tithe is the last resort in the budget. Their giving to God is something that is at the bottom of their list of priorities. It's a weak argument before God to say, "Lord, I didn’t tithe because I couldn't afford it" — especially when we consider that the poorest among us has a higher standard of living than ninety-nine percent of the people who have ever walked on the face of the earth.

There are many more excuses that people give to avoid this responsibility, yet the New Testament tells us: "Let the thief no longer steal" (Eph. 2:28a). If we have been guilty of stealing from God in the past by withholding our tithe from Him, that behavior must cease immediately and give way to a resolution to begin tithing at once, no matter what it costs. It's an interesting phenomenon in the life of the church, that people who in 1960 gave a dollar to the offering plate every week, still give that same dollar today. Everything else in their living costs has been adjusted to inflation except their giving. We also have to remind ourselves that if we give gifts to God, we cannot call them tithes if these gifts fall beneath the level of ten percent.

One of the sad realities of failure to tithe is that in so doing we not only are guilty of robbing God, but we also rob ourselves of the joy of giving and of the blessings that follow from it. I have yet to meet a person who tithes who has expressed to me regret for being one who tithes. On the contrary, I hear from them not a sense of judgment towards those who don’t give but rather a sense of compassion toward them. Frequently, I hear tithers saying, "People who don't tithe just don't know what they’re missing." It is a cliché and a truism that you can't out-give God. That statement has become a cliché because it is so true. In the text in Malachi, we find something exceedingly rare coming from the lips of God. Here God challenges His people to put Him to a test: "Put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need" (3:10). Have you put God to that test? Have you tried Him to see if He will not open heaven itself and empty His own treasuries upon you? We need to stop robbing Him and thus receive from Him the blessing that He promises.

http://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/will-man-rob-god/
Re: Tithes And Offerings by JIL(m): 12:34am On Feb 13, 2013
truthislight:

How did you come to know this much

Bro, some of us have been on read-only mode for a while but it doesn't mean we don't know what's going on here.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Snowwy: 12:37am On Feb 13, 2013
Goshen360: ^ Abeg, go answer your question on the other thread please. cool

This is all you have to say. If you can blatantly disregard scripture like this without remorse, do you see why I do not take you seriously?

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 12:38am On Feb 13, 2013
I knew that when our brother Ola suddenly disappears. He is under scrutiny and therefore, he has to go get another article from online that supports tithe. grin

OLAADEGBU: Will a man rob God? - R.C. Sproul

^^^
Goshen360:
God CANNOT CURSE AND BLESS AT THE SAME TIME. It's either you're out or in; you cannot be outside and inside at the SAME time. Either you are dry or wet; you cannot be under a shower and say you're dry. Either you're full or empty. God has ALREADY blessed us in the NT - It's NOT by tithing! Tithing was ONLY under the the Old Covenant bewteen God and Israel, not between God and the Church. You tithe teachers should stop threatening God's people with tithe curses of Malachi 3:9-10.

New Living Translation (©2007)
But Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When he was hung on the cross, he took upon himself the curse for our wrongdoing. For it is written in the Scriptures, "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree." Through Christ Jesus, God has blessed the Gentiles with the same blessing he promised to Abraham, so that we who are believers might receive the promised Holy Spirit through faith. - Galatians 3:13-14

You see, BLESSED!

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: - Ephesians 1:3

Again, BLESSED!

How can we be ALREADY blessed and the tithe teachers still tell us we're CURSED God cannot bless and curse at the same time just like the Old and New Testament does not existed the same time - God took away (minus, subtracted) the Old, that He may establish (add, save) the New.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by JIL(m): 12:39am On Feb 13, 2013
OLAADEGBU: Will a man rob God? - R.C. Sproul

Hypocrite! You arrogantly asked someone to summarise their article but you shamelessly refused to do so yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 12:40am On Feb 13, 2013
Snowwy:

This is all you have to say. If you can blatantly disregard scripture like this without remorse, do you see why I do not take you seriously?

Now you claim not to take me serious and yet, you claimed not to be reading me with biased mind. Anyway, that's not an issue. Do you still want me repeat the same question here?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Snowwy: 12:52am On Feb 13, 2013
christemmbassey: Abraham never paid 'TITHE' but he gave a 'tenth' of the spoils as a gift of gratitude to Melchizedek for welcoming and thanking God for his victory, and returned the remainants to the rightfull owners, he did not take anytiing for himself because it was not an income and that was the 1st and the last tro out his life time he never paid nor instruct Isaac or his servants to pay tithe, so pre-law notion is a sinking sand.

I assume the contradictions by Goshen meant nothing to you. Ofcourse, anyone against what you are against is your friend irrespective of whether the person contradicts the bible.

Let me leave you with this. Abraham went to war with his servants, he graciously refused to take of the spoil but he told the King to let his men take their portion FIRST and he left the King have the rest so what the King of Sodom got was basically that which Abraham would have taken which is equal to:

Total spoil-Tithe-portion (or cut of Abraham's men)

And not the 90% continuously touted.

Since you cannot show me any other instance that Abraham met with the Priest then let us let it be.

If you do not have the faith to do it, it will be of no value to you.
Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 1:03am On Feb 13, 2013
Brother Snowwy,

Are you gonna answer my question or not
Re: Tithes And Offerings by christemmbassey(m): 9:14am On Feb 13, 2013
Snowwy:

I assume the contradictions by Goshen meant nothing to you. Ofcourse, anyone against what you are against is your friend irrespective of whether the person contradicts the bible.

Let me leave you with this. Abraham went to war with his servants, he graciously refused to take of the spoil but he told the King to let his men take their portion FIRST and he left the King have the rest so what the King of Sodom got was basically that which Abraham would have taken which is equal to:

Total spoil-Tithe-portion (or cut of Abraham's men)

And not the 90% continuously touted.

Since you cannot show me any other instance that Abraham met with the Priest then let us let it be.

If you do not have the faith to do it, it will be of no value to you.
Cheers.
pre-law tithe falshood dismantled, OMG, wetin i go use scam ppl? O am finished. Lamentations *sops*:-O. Dont worry, Goshen, Frosbel, Kun and christ's emmbassey are praying for you. Courage bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (141) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome's House And Jeeps (Picture) / Why I Left Christ Embassy Church / List Of Gods Born By A Virgin On 25th December

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.