Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,437 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! (28345 Views)

Stephen Keshi Return Again To Lead Nigeria In Remaining Afcon Qualifiers. / Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination / Stephen Keshi Resigns As Eagles Coach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by Nobody: 4:55am On Feb 12, 2013
It’s been a few hours since Stephen Keshi‘s surprising resignation as the head coach of the Super Eagles. He is currently reconsidering his decision and has released the following statement.

My attention has been drawn to reports in the media that I have resigned my appointment as the Head Coach of Super Eagles of Nigeria.
While I have had cause to express my displeasure over some issues that happened in the course of our participation in the AFCON 2013, which my team won by the grace of God, especially concerning my relationship with the Nigerian Football Federation, I have since had opportunity to discuss the various issues with all concerned. I am therefore pleased to say that I have reconsidered my position and have decided to continue with my job.
I want to thank the Honourable Minister of Sports, Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, for his swift and kind intervention.

Signed

Stephen Okechukwu Keshi

12th February 2013

source: http://www.bellanaija.com/2013/02/12/official-statement-stephen-keshi-reconsiders-resignation-from-super-eagles-coach-role/

17 Likes

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by Jaideyone(m): 5:26am On Feb 12, 2013
Hmmm hope he doesn't get sacked for messing up later grin

FTC wink

1 Like

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by goldfish80(m): 5:43am On Feb 12, 2013
[/b]Keshi is α politican[b]

11 Likes

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by slysinzu(m): 6:11am On Feb 12, 2013
You must not resign oooo!!! Cus if u do I will resign as well.

3 Likes

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by Akshow: 6:15am On Feb 12, 2013
He wan start feel like king kung fu abi? Abeg mind yourself o.

2 Likes

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by sainty2k3(m): 6:27am On Feb 12, 2013
Good news ,great morning
Front page pls

1 Like

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by naptu2: 6:41am On Feb 12, 2013
[size=14pt]Presidency steps in as Keshi resigns[/size]

February 12, 2013 by Pius Ayinor ⁠65 Comments

Just as Nigerians begin to savour the joy of being African champions, confusion has set into the camp of the Super Eagles with Coach Stephen Keshi announcing his resignation on Monday.

Keshi who is billed to return with his players to Nigeria Tuesday (today) was first quoted in South Africa as having resigned his position as the manager of the Nigerian team despite winning the African cup on Sunday with a 1-0 defeat of Burkina Faso in the final match.

The Eagles Media Officer, Ben Alaiya, on Monday night confirmed that Keshi indeed resigned.

“It is true,” Alaiya wrote in a terse response  to a text from one of our correspondents.  While speaking to a South African radio show on Monday evening, Keshi said that he handed in his resignation letter after the match on Sunday night.

“I gave them (Nigeria Football Federation) my letter of resignation immediately after last night’s game, but I haven’t heard from them yet,” Keshi told Metro FM on Monday night.

A communication line soon opened between the Presidency and Keshi after the announcement and the former captain of the national team confirmed he had resigned and was only awaiting the response of the NFF officials.

[b]A very highly placed official in the Presidency told The PUNCH in an exclusive interview on Monday that the matter had been taken up immediately. The source added that after the discussion with Keshi, he agreed to withdraw his resignation and continue his job with the team.

The official said, “Yes, it is very true that Keshi resigned his position as coach of the Eagles. That he confirmed to us. It was quite alarming given the complaints he brought up. There were a lot on things going on that the nation didn’t know.

“He informed us about backlog of salaries, his official car that has only been on paper since he took office. Even in South Africa, money was a lot of issue. It is appalling but the key thing is that Keshi has calmed down and has agreed to continue as the coach of Nigeria.”

Apart from his car and salary, we learnt that the Eagles coach complained bitterly of not getting the cash due him in South Africa during the Nations Cup. He also complained that his players were being owed a lot of money as the promises were more on the pages of the newspapers than being fulfilled.[/b]

Keshi could not be reached despite efforts by The PUNCH last night.

It was also quite tough getting a response from the NFF on the matter.

The NFF Chief Media Officer, Ademola Olajire, did not respond to our mail.

But a former goalkeeper with the Nigerian team who is now based in South Africa, Peterside Idah, confirmed Keshi’s resignation via his Twitter handle.

Idah tweeted, “Yes, he told me so, he would resign on Saturday, spent some time with him. Will give you reasons why he quit tomorrow.”

It was learnt that the members of the Federation went into an emergency meeting on Monday over the matter.

The triumph of the Eagles at the Nations Cup indeed took many people by surprise as they were not amongst the competition favourites.

The  national team came into the consciousness of the citizens after they defeated cup favourites, Ivory Coast, in the quarter-finals. Before then the NFF officials had put a lot of pressure on Eagles when it appeared that the team would not scale through the group stages.

Before the last group match against Ethiopia the NFF had issued an official press release stating that Keshi had “no excuse for failure.”

But the Super Eagles then defeated Ethiopia to qualify for the next stage and that calmed a lot of nerves.

Keshi in one of his reactions afterwards said he was virtually on the sack list until the tide turned for him.

“Nobody believed in me. They were sure that this team would not get anywhere and they wanted to sack me during the competition,” he said.

Keshi is expected to fly back with the team today for the Tuesday night reception holding at the Presidential Villa, irrespective of the situation.

http://www.punchng.com/news/presidency-steps-in-as-keshi-resigns/
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by oluwadare26(m): 7:02am On Feb 12, 2013
He shud thank his saviour dat he didnt waited long, he 4 c the Unemployed graduates get coaching skills

4 Likes

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by oluwadare26(m): 7:19am On Feb 12, 2013
Prophet T.b Joshua might it coming
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by oluwadare26(m): 7:21am On Feb 12, 2013
Prophet T.b Joshua might see it coming
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by naptu2: 7:28am On Feb 12, 2013
Comment from the radio: "Keshi has experienced something similar in the past. He was assistant to Ahmodu Shuabu in 2002. They were sent away after qualifying for the world cup. He might not want to go through that experience again".
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by ehis00(m): 8:06am On Feb 12, 2013
and how does this affect d fact dat ghana no dey reach finals

7 Likes

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by Kaxmytex(m): 8:14am On Feb 12, 2013
Hehehe.....c mr keshi wey dey para..
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by Nobody: 8:15am On Feb 12, 2013
ehis00: and how does this affect d fact dat ghana no dey reach finals

It has absolutely no effect cheesy cheesy
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by Nobody: 8:31am On Feb 12, 2013
Singing tumbo tumbo...
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by willyo(m): 8:32am On Feb 12, 2013
hmmmmm. he should reconsider his reconsidration o. think its better to quit when the ovation's loudest. better now or....... wish him all the luck he needs
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by OluEmmaAss: 8:33am On Feb 12, 2013
Good move
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by Nobody: 8:33am On Feb 12, 2013
And It Came To pass that; Sunday wearing Jersey number 19, born on Sunday Scored Two Vital Goals On Two Sundays in A Tournament That Started On January 19 To Make Nigeria Win The Nations Cup After 19 years!
Can You Beat That? God You are mysterious and your ways mysterious.... Only few understand that.

25 Likes

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by igbsam(m): 8:33am On Feb 12, 2013
NFF is the problem in Nigeria football. They need to do away with those old mongrels who calls themselves NFF officials and bring in those knows it.

6 Likes

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by vanstanzy(m): 8:34am On Feb 12, 2013
If it really is, then GOOD! Just hope nff doesnt fv?ck this up.
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by Gepheral: 8:35am On Feb 12, 2013
Am sure your new TOS have been met. Good Move...
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by jamp: 8:35am On Feb 12, 2013
good one

its time for him to negotitate better and put a clause that pay him well incase they sack him
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by Maximus17(m): 8:36am On Feb 12, 2013
why did he withdraw his resignation,he hasnt study the Nigerian people,if he loses any match nw,nigerians would start agitating for sack,its gud to leave when the ovation is at the highest

2 Likes

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by maclatunji: 8:36am On Feb 12, 2013
It is called saber-rattling. Keshi has made a decisive move that will make him the most influential man in Nigerian football as long as the Super Eagles' results are positive.

1 Like

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by Nobleacct: 8:37am On Feb 12, 2013
I just heard the news on radio now oluyole fm. But NFF should be warned atleast to have trust in our own coach and not white coach everytime. Keshi has proved them wrong. Thanks for withdrawing ur resignation

3 Likes

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by Nobody: 8:37am On Feb 12, 2013
I'm not surprised that he did that.was he a coward? or being parsuaded by presidency? he should be careful with these people cos they can mess up his career.
better offer will surely come else where.
but wait o.he no dey easy to reject that bonus and post achievement incentives.

1 Like

Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by jude33084(m): 8:38am On Feb 12, 2013
Typical African; no stands angry
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by boron10(m): 8:38am On Feb 12, 2013
He is not a man of his words. Thought he said he was never going to comeback?
Typical Nigerian, always wanting to display pride with any given opportunity.
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by vanstanzy(m): 8:40am On Feb 12, 2013
goldfish80: [/b]Keshi is α politican[b]

One needs to be a RADICAL POLITICIAN to deal with our NFF. Thats the only way to get by.
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by babarazy: 8:40am On Feb 12, 2013
I knew it!
Re: Stephen Keshi Withdraws His Resignation! by olumaxi(m): 8:41am On Feb 12, 2013
I jst lov keshi

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerians Talk About The Craziest Thing They Have Done For The Love Of Football / Argentina To Honor Messi After Retirement By Retiring No. 10 Jersey. / I Am Done With Ike Uche – Keshi Blasts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.