Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,450 members, 7,819,662 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. (13988 Views)

Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? / Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent / Chris Oyaks Embarks On 40 Days Fasting And Prayer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Buchianom(m): 8:08am On Feb 18, 2013
Nice thread! Mortification is just the key word fr lenteen season,help the poor/needy $ stay closer to God.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by CharlieMaria(m): 9:13am On Feb 18, 2013
binger: Amen!
I have a question...is it true that any sin committed during Lent will not be forgiven?
God will forgive you any sin, no matter what sin it is and when the sin was committed. In fact it is even during lenten season that you are obliged to seek God's forgiveness and He forgives you the more. As long as you go confess it to a priest.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by jumie62(f): 10:09am On Feb 18, 2013
May some pples mouth not put them in trouble,
@dextra and all, keep us the work, tha Lord wil hear our prayers, I'm joining u in spirit and prayers cos I'm a nursing mother and can't fast,
I pray this season wil bring us joy,love and abundance for eva more
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Mrajonder(m): 1:04pm On Feb 18, 2013
AM STARTN MINE TODAY..GOD BE WITH ME
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 1:33pm On Feb 18, 2013
I just love this thread.Am a catholic and am proud to be one.As a young woman,there are so many temptations on the world and every day is a challenge.I must confess,I have never asked God for something and don't get it.I would like to share a story....

5 yrs ago,after my sec school,I spent two yrs without admission.It was really frustrating cos my friends had left me for school.I wrote JAMB again and made a 223.Uniben was my only school of choice so I was really terrified till one cold night.I cried to God for his mercy and decides to fast the next day.I went to mass everyday,stopped having Bleep,and tried as much ad I can to abstain from immorality during my fasting period.Post UME came and I went to write mine,I was scared but after the exam,I felt strange.I felt somewhat renewed.Two weeks later,I was in my dads office when he ran inside screaming that I had admission.And guess what NLders,I did not feel over excited.At that point,its like the news was something I was already aware of.Funny enough,those of my friends that where mocking me then we are all going to serve this march batch....God is wonderful.

3 Likes

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Roland17(m): 4:09pm On Feb 18, 2013
As a prod Catholic in faith, the Lenten season is my favourite season in the Catholic calender, its a period i make personal assessments of my life as a christian..

I admonish catholic's to remain steadfast, remember the less privileged, the poor, the hungry around us...
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by DAVE5(m): 7:49pm On Feb 18, 2013
i want 2 thank d op in a very special way 4 dis thread... In as much as our fasting shld be a secret thing, her opening up abt her fastin has jst rekindled d fire in me to want to fast...
May God in his infinite mercy bless u very very much(@ op of dis thread).. And may his love,hope and faith abound through ur life and d world to come through Christ our lord...Amen
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by faboben10: 5:19am On Feb 19, 2013
Gud morning my dear friends,
how has it been?
Let d fastn continue, may God bless us all.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Enigma(m): 9:11am On Feb 19, 2013
faboben10: Gud morning my dear friends,
how has it been?
Let d fastn continue, may God bless us all.

Amen. smiley
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 1:30pm On Feb 19, 2013
D.A.V.E:
i want 2 thank d op in a very special way 4 dis thread... In as much as our fasting shld be a secret thing, her opening up abt her fastin has jst rekindled d fire in me to want to fast...
May God in his infinite mercy bless u very very much(@ op of dis thread).. And may his love,hope and faith abound through ur life and d world to come through Christ our lord...Amen
God Bless you too.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 1:40pm On Feb 19, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 6 (FEBRUARY 18, 2013)[/size]

FASTING MODE STILL ACTIVATED.
However, it's interesting to know that at the end of the fast period I am not even hungry.
Also, today I had to work 20 hours but I was still as strong as I was when I left my home in the morning! I feel so so happy (though I can't remember anything making me happy) but it's from within my spirit. I will like to hear your day to day achievements. Let's do it!!!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 1:50pm On Feb 19, 2013
Yes, fasting is a secret thing. I agree with everyone who said so. You must know that the whole world knows that we are in lent season and everyone is expected to fast, so it's not so secret is it? Secondly, I've never told anyone who I meet that I am fasting; but when someone offers me a meal or when we are having lunch break and a colleague notices that I am not eating as I often do, He/She may Ask "What's up Dex, you aint eating or are you fasting?" Am I suppose to lie and say "No"? Of course not. So fasting is an "open secret". So it's all about your heart and your purpose of fasting. I like my spirit to have control over my body and that has been how I live my life. This helps me stay on top of situation and live a pure life.
It's not just about giving up food or what you like, but what do you want to achieve at the end of this fasting and praying season? I'll suggest that your major aim should be to have a closer walk with God, a relationship at a different level, where you can be at peace with yourself and not worry about sin.

1 Like

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Enigma(m): 1:57pm On Feb 19, 2013
^^^ Good point. smiley
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Ubenedictus(m): 2:43pm On Feb 19, 2013
Enigma: ^^^ Good point. smiley
oga enigma are u fasting? Dont tell me u are a lutherian.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Enigma(m): 2:45pm On Feb 19, 2013
^^ I told you before, I'm just a Christian. smiley
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Ubenedictus(m): 3:49pm On Feb 19, 2013
Enigma: ^^ I told you before, I'm just a Christian. smiley
dont worry guy, i know over 30000 christian denominations arent fasting at this time.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 10:12pm On Feb 19, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 7: FEBRUARY 19TH, 2013[/size]
ONGOING
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Ogegod87: 10:19pm On Feb 19, 2013
Am soo lovin dis thread. nice job @OP. its helpin me do much more dan i am doin already. May d passion of CHRIST continue 2 strengthen us especially in dis season of d sufferings and death of our Lord and saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Pls i nid intercessory prayers 4 my elder brother who is currently in d hospital. I believe b4 anythin happens physically, it must ve happened in d spiritual realm. D doctor said he has partial stroke.(all of a sudden). He is 37. I bliv dere is a balm in gilead and dat dry bones will rise again. God bless u as u remember him in prayers.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 7:06pm On Feb 20, 2013
Ogegod87: Am soo lovin dis thread. nice job @OP. its helpin me do much more dan i am doin already. May d passion of CHRIST continue 2 strengthen us especially in dis season of d sufferings and death of our Lord and saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Pls i nid intercessory prayers 4 my elder brother who is currently in d hospital. I believe b4 anythin happens physically, it must ve happened in d spiritual realm. D doctor said he has partial stroke.(all of a sudden). He is 37. I bliv dere is a balm in gilead and dat dry bones will rise again. God bless u as u remember him in prayers.

God bless and keep you.
I pray your brother gets well soon. Bring it to God in prayer and follow up the case with unrelenting faith.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 7:13pm On Feb 20, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 8: FEBRUARY 20TH 2013[/size]
Today marks the 8th day into the lent season. I hope you are all experiencing lots of positive, favorable changes in your life. Yes, I have. Please feel free to share your experiences.
It is not late for anyone to join.
Thank you all.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 8:25pm On Feb 20, 2013
Dextra: [size=20pt]DAY 8: FEBRUARY 20TH 2013[/size]
Today marks the 8th day into the lent season. I hope you are all experiencing lots of positive, favorable changes in your life. Yes, I have. Please feel free to share your experiences.
It is not late for anyone to join.
Thank you all.

Good evening Dextra,

I am really glad that you have inspired a lot of people with this thread.

As part of my lenten obseravnce I decided to stop a bad habit I picked up while I was in my teens. This habit has been with me for some time now and its time to put a stop to it.

This is what I have decided to give to God this lent. I really felt like going back to this habit just today but I remembered my resolve and stopped. This thread would be a good way of keeping track of my progress.

My goal is to be steadfast this lent and also substitute this bad habit with the opposite virtue which I intend to carry on after the lent and hopefully by God's grace it will be a permanent feature in my life.

Thank you!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 9:43am On Feb 21, 2013
striktlymi:

Good evening Dextra,

As part of my lenten obseravnce I decided to stop a bad habit I picked up while I was in my teens. This habit has been with me for some time now and its time to put a stop to it.

This is what I have decided to give to God this lent. I really felt like going back to this habit just today but I remembered my resolve and stopped. This thread would be a good way of keeping track of my progress.
You will be surprised at how much progress you will make. A good decision you made there. Keep it up. Thank you.

My goal is to be steadfast this lent and also substitute this bad habit with the opposite virtue which I intend to carry on after the lent and hopefully by God's grace it will be a permanent feature in my life.

Thank you!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 9:45am On Feb 21, 2013
striktlymi:

Good evening Dextra,

Thank you!
You will be surprised at how much progress you will make. A good decision you made there. Keep it up. Thank you.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 12:04am On Feb 22, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 9: FEBRUARY 21 2013[/size]

[size=24pt]
CONTINUED...........[/size]

1 Like

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Ubenedictus(m): 3:02pm On Feb 22, 2013
striktlymi:

Good evening Dextra,

Thank you!
this is a beautiful way to fast. Fast from vice and b overfed with virtue, u are in my prayers
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 4:45pm On Feb 22, 2013
Ubenedictus: this is a beautiful way to fast. Fast from vice and b overfed with virtue, u are in my prayers

Thanks for the prayers!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Ogegod87: 5:27pm On Feb 22, 2013
Dextra:

God bless and keep you.
I pray your brother gets well soon. Bring it to God in prayer and follow up the case with unrelenting faith.

Dextra, thanks a whole bunch. We are keepin faith and believing God for total restoration of his health. God bless u
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by prairie(f): 8:31pm On Feb 22, 2013
afanda: Normally during Lent i dont use Alcohol and Magic Sticks. Plus i fast mondays thru fridays: this year i want (o do the entire FOURTY!!! My prayer point is 2 quit smoking and have a successful wedding and a Happy home. Being that am from the North, am also praying for God's intervention especially d unrest in the North. Glory 2 Jesus!!!
God is ur guide smiley
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by prairie(f): 8:37pm On Feb 22, 2013
Ogegod87: Am soo lovin dis thread. nice job @OP. its helpin me do much more dan i am doin already. May d passion of CHRIST continue 2 strengthen us especially in dis season of d sufferings and death of our Lord and saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.

You and ur brova are in my prayers, also ask mother mary for her intercession. God be with u
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by prairie(f): 8:47pm On Feb 22, 2013
As part of my lent observance too, I had to give up nairaland for the time being, to assert my control than for nairaland to become my being like it is for people like logicboy grin thank God i try small, this thread has also made me more conscious about lent, I pray for everyone to rediscover christ during this period and make the grass of our spiritual life green again. Btw my best season is the christmas season because a lot of souls are won just by the joy, music and the radiance of the atmosphere, no other period of the year is as joyful as christmas smiley
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by prairie(f): 8:51pm On Feb 22, 2013
Let us not forget to attend the stations of the cross, for most churches i guess its wednesdays and fridays at abt Five o'clock. Peace be with y'all
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 10:53pm On Feb 22, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 10: FEBRUARY 22 2013
CONTINUED.....
[/size]

There has been some unusual turn of event around me and I asked God to show me the steps to take. Last night, I had a long dream about the whole event and got the answers that I seek. In the dream God told me that things will return to normal in January 2014. Secondly, I've been trying to make a decision whether to return home or not, in the dream, my rent expired, I was searching for a new apartment to pay for. I went round a street and suddenly found myself in our street at home and in our house. So, it can only mean that God wants me to go home. I know most of you will not understand what I may be talking about but it is personal and I don't want to reveal it here, but just that whatever answer you seek or when you need to make a decision, just ask God. He will show you.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Endtimes : Commonsense Reasons Why Jesus Returns Before 2040 - Don Koenig / Image Worship Is An Abomination To God!!! / Why You Shouldn't Wait To See Hell Fire First Before You Believe That It Exists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.