Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,745 members, 7,824,145 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. (13994 Views)

Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? / Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent / Chris Oyaks Embarks On 40 Days Fasting And Prayer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by prairie(f): 6:58pm On Feb 23, 2013
I noticed that anytime i dont fast, something sad happens to me, today I got my money lost after eating d delicious food my sis prepared, I'll try to keep fasting and maintain my relationship with God. Btw u guys shuld keep posting so that d morale doesnt die off, for the sake of our fellow brethren
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 8:35pm On Feb 23, 2013
prairie: I noticed that anytime i dont fast, something sad happens to me, today I got my money lost after eating d delicious food my sis prepared, I'll try to keep fasting and maintain my relationship with God. Btw u guys shuld keep posting so that d morale doesnt die off, for the sake of our fellow brethren

Its great to fast but wonderful to fast because you want to. I don't think those things happen to you because you refused to fast.

I am of the opinion that those things might have happened even if you did not fast. May be you need to be a bit more careful.

I am glad you decided to fast anyways.

Kudos!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by prairie(f): 8:51pm On Feb 23, 2013
striktlymi:

Its great to fast but wonderful to fast because you want to. I don't think those things happen to you because you refused to fast.

I am of the opinion that those things might have happened even if you did not fast. May be you need to be a bit more careful.

I am glad you decided to fast anyways.

Kudos!
Thank you smiley
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 8:57pm On Feb 23, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 11: FEBRUARY 23 2013[/size]
Lent continues..............
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 9:00pm On Feb 23, 2013
prairie: I noticed that anytime i dont fast, something sad happens to me, today I got my money lost after eating d delicious food my sis prepared, I'll try to keep fasting and maintain my relationship with God. Btw u guys shuld keep posting so that d morale doesnt die off, for the sake of our fellow brethren

I don't think bad things happen to people because they did something wrong, however, it would have been avoided if you prayed more and walked in the Spirit more in this lent season. I am sorry about your money.
You have to get your motives right. Why do you indulge in this fast? What do you want to achieve. Thank you for being part of this thread. Keep your testimonies coming.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by prairie(f): 9:31pm On Feb 23, 2013
Dextra:

I don't think bad things happen to people because they did something wrong, however, it would have been avoided if you prayed more and walked in the Spirit more in this lent season. I am sorry about your money.
You have to get your motives right. Why do you indulge in this fast? What do you want to achieve. Thank you for being part of this thread. Keep your testimonies coming.
Thank you too smiley
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 7:24pm On Feb 24, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 12: FEBRUARY 24 2013[/size]

[size=18pt]CONTINUES.............[/size]

1 Like

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by toluxe0075: 7:25am On Feb 25, 2013
I think catholics don't fast on sundays, why?
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Onyeoma3: 7:36am On Feb 25, 2013
I think today is the 11th day out of the 40days fasting because sunday is not inclusive in the days counted. Pls verify and modify ur post.

I like the good work you're doing Lady Dextra, may God bless you abundantly and meet you at every point of your needs.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Onyeoma3: 7:42am On Feb 25, 2013
toluxe0075: I think catholics don't fast on sundays, why?

Ur right on your observation ßuђ I think its not only Catholics that does that,other churches also do that...Fasting is not done on sundays because it is the glorious day of our Lord Jesus Christ...
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by toluxe0075: 8:12pm On Feb 25, 2013
Onye oma:

Ur right on your observation ßuђ I think its not only Catholics that does that,other churches also do that...Fasting is not done on sundays because it is the glorious day of our Lord Jesus Christ...
ok, thanks
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by prairie(f): 9:39pm On Feb 25, 2013
Yaaaayyy!!! I was able to last today, thank God. Hoping for tomorrow grin
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 11:06pm On Feb 25, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 13: FEBRUARY 25 2013[/size]
We are still in the lent season and making progress.
I didn't know Sundays were excluded from the 40 days undecided, Anyway, in my church, we fast every first Sunday of the month, so I don't know about not fasting on Sundays. Well, we shall continue. I am getting used to the fast that I don't feel hungry anymore and even at the end I am not in a hurry to eat something.
Today, I watched a young woman breathe her last. It reminded me of my purpose in life and that nothing else matters in this life once you take that last breathe.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 11:09pm On Feb 25, 2013
prairie: Yaaaayyy!!! I was able to last today, thank God. Hoping for tomorrow grin
Dear Prairie, would you and any other persons mind updating this thread in my absence. I'll be going offline for a few days. Whoever, visits here first can update it daily! It is our thread. I am happy that you won over your desire for food! grin Keep it up sister, after a few days you will not have any problem abstaining from nutrition. Thanks.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by prairie(f): 12:10am On Feb 26, 2013
Dextra:
Dear Prairie, would you and any other persons mind updating this thread in my absence. I'll be going offline for a few days. Whoever, visits here first can update it daily! It is our thread. I am happy that you won over your desire for food! grin Keep it up sister, after a few days you will not have any problem abstaining from nutrition. Thanks.
Owkay ma'am i'll try to do that, but i'll need a helper o, striktlymi oya over to u grin
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:17am On Feb 26, 2013
prairie: Owkay ma'am i'll try to do that, but i'll need a helper o, striktlymi oya over to u grin

Okay prairie and Dextra,

I will try and update the thread each day between 8am and 9pm if no one else has done so.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by prairie(f): 7:27pm On Feb 26, 2013
Hmmmm lets see, well today didnt go as planned cos i ate before hand *covers face* lol!; I had practicals through out today so I was quite hungry and i didnt know when i went to the cafeteria to eat with my gals *sobs*, I'm sorry for not being a true example today but I guess tomorrow's pregnant grin. The plus for today is that I wasnt grumpy when i got to school and my girls didnt complain of me todaycheesy I know its personal but hey who says I cant get personal wink anyways we thank God all the same, striktlymi where are u o sad
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 8:45pm On Feb 26, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 14: FEBRUARY 26 2013[/size]

Some two weeks ago we began this journey with Christ which is supposed to be a forty days of fasten, alms given and prayer. It is very important that we understand what lent is really about. It is not just enough for us to abstain from food while we continue in sin. The ultimate goal of lent is to draw us closer to our maker...if our observance does not lead to this goal then our fasten would have been for nothing.

We fast in order to have a firm control of the desires of the flesh. It is of the flesh to hold a grudge...it is of the flesh to habour hatred...the flesh wants to say horrible things to someone else when we are slighted...the flesh wants the student to neglect hard work in studies and befriend laziness and examination malpractice...the flesh only wants the easy life...

Lent is a time to deprive the flesh of some niceties and concentrate more on feeding the spirit. The spirit would want us to be diligent in work and studies...the spirit desires that we take out some time to visit orphans...the spirit wants us to seek reconciliation with our neighbour...the spirit wants us to be mindful of our utterances...the spirit wants us to guard our thoughts and actions...the spirit wants us to show empathy to the poor and the needy...the spirit wants us to be steadfast in God.

If our fast does not yield the fruits of the spirit then our forty days would have been spent in futility.

1 Like

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 9:01pm On Feb 26, 2013
prairie: Hmmmm lets see, well today didnt go as planned cos i ate before hand *covers face* lol!; I had practicals through out today so I was quite hungry and i didnt know when i went to the cafeteria to eat with my gals *sobs*, I'm sorry for not being a true example today but I guess tomorrow's pregnant grin. The plus for today is that I wasnt grumpy when i got to school and my girls didnt complain of me todaycheesy I know its personal but hey who says I cant get personal wink anyways we thank God all the same, striktlymi where are u o sad

Good evening prairie,

Your day has really been busy and quite funny too. I believe that you need not abstain from food only as part of your lenten observance and if you choose to abstain from food then I believe you can choose which meal to give up if you can't give up all.

Considering that you are a student I will advice that you do not abstain too much from food that you are unable to concentrate on your studies. Studying very well for the love of God can be a good way to observe lent while you might add little things like giving up a bottle of mineral while you give the money to some poor guy who might need it.

What we do in lent is really not cast in stone. I know its traditional to fast from food but there are other things we can also do with love for God. You mentioned something about your friends finding you okay today...that can be something you can tap from for this lent. Since you are a catholic I will advice that you go through lent with the help of a spiritual director in order to go through it the way you should.

I think you did good today and you deserve some praise.

Kudos!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by prairie(f): 8:27pm On Feb 27, 2013
striktlymi:

Good evening prairie,

Your day has really been busy and quite funny too. I believe that you need not abstain from food only as part of your lenten observance and if you choose to abstain from food then I believe you can choose which meal to give up if you can't give up all.

Considering that you are a student I will advice that you do not abstain too much from food that you are unable to concentrate on your studies. Studying very well for the love of God can be a good way to observe lent while you might add little things like giving up a bottle of mineral while you give the money to some poor guy who might need it.

What we do in lent is really not cast in stone. I know its traditional to fast from food but there are other things we can also do with love for God. You mentioned something about your friends finding you okay today...that can be something you can tap from for this lent. Since you are a catholic I will advice that you go through lent with the help of a spiritual director in order to go through it the way you should.

I think you did good today and you deserve some praise.

Kudos!
*faints*..........................grin
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by prairie(f): 8:35pm On Feb 27, 2013
Wellllllllll today was pretty much the same except that I went for the stations of the cross and I was able to fast wink, striktlymi thanx for ur advice, it has really given me a good practical way of observing this lent cos I love softdrinks cheesy. Hope the catholics in the house went for the stations of the cross, If no i guess u still have friday. Sleep tight smiley
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 9:49pm On Feb 27, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 15: FEBRUARY 27 2013[/size]

What almsgiving really means

Giving alms has always been an important part of Lent. For many people, it means giving money to 'charities' or some other good cause.

But the concept of almsgiving goes much deeper. It is our response to the teachings of Jesus that encourage us to reach out to people in need—not just with our money—but with our time and our talents. Today we might call it 'stewardship.'

Lent gives us the opportunity to cultivate a spirit of generosity. It gives us a chance to share what we have and who we are with other people. It puts us in communion with others and helps us understand that we are all members of the Body of Christ.

Think carefully about how you will share your time, your talents and your treasure during Lent. Keep in mind the words of the Lord Jesus who himself said, "It is more blessed to give than to receive" (Acts 20:35).

http://www.osv.com/YourGuideToACatholicLent/tabid/8267/Default.aspx
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 9:49pm On Feb 27, 2013
prairie: *faints*..........................grin

Lol!!!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 9:52pm On Feb 27, 2013
prairie: Wellllllllll today was pretty much the same except that I went for the stations of the cross and I was able to fast wink, striktlymi thanx for ur advice, it has really given me a good practical way of observing this lent cos I love softdrinks cheesy. Hope the catholics in the house went for the stations of the cross, If no i guess u still have friday. Sleep tight smiley

You are really doing great!

I took out time to visit the blessed sacrament today and I really felt refreshed while in his presence.

Sleep sweet and have a lovely tomorrow. smiley
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Rich4god(m): 10:41pm On Feb 27, 2013
Following... Nice thread. Keep it up. cool cool cool
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by prairie(f): 8:34pm On Feb 28, 2013
Hmmm today was kinda stressfull for me in school and I was super duper hungry grin but I was still able to fast sha, thank God cheesy. During one of my lectures, the lecturer(a very funny dude) was telling us different stories about his growing up and stuff but I was able to notice something about him, he was fond of saying stories which in a way ended up about how we should try and live christianity instead of just having the tag, something clicked, I remember reading an article in which the writer was saying we didntt have to wait for a perfect opportunity before we become the christian student or the christian writer or the christian lecturer or the christian poet, every moment is an opportunity, the lecturer used his comic prowess to spread the message not minding whether muslim students were around or not. Now the million dollar question grin, Do u use ur talents to the glory of God, @striktlymi, thanx a bunch cheesy
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by prairie(f): 8:42pm On Feb 28, 2013
@richforGod, merci beaucoup smiley sleep tight dearies
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 9:36pm On Feb 28, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 16: FEBRUARY 28 2013[/size]

10 tips for making the season more meaningful

1. Slow Down - Set aside 10 minutes a day for silent prayer or meditation. It will revitalize your body and your spirit.

2. Read a good book - You could choose the life of a saint, a spiritual how-to, an inspirational book will do for non-catholics.

3. Be kind - Go out of your way to do something nice for someone else every day.

4. Get involved - Attend a Lenten lecture or spiritual program.

5. Volunteer at your Church - Cleaning the church or helping with a church program directed at aiding the less privilege would be ideal.

6. Reach out - Invite a lag Christian to Church or some other spiritual activity.

7. Pray - Especially for people you don't like and for people who don't like you.

8. Tune out - Turn off the television for some moments and spend quality time talking with family members or friends.

9. Clean out closets - Donate gently used items to those who need them. It would be nice to wash these items and iron them before giving them out.

10. Donate - Visit an orphanage or an old peoples home and donate something to them no matter how little. You can also visit the sick at the hospital. Spending time with them is also encouraged.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 10:02pm On Feb 28, 2013
prairie: Hmmm today was kinda stressfull for me in school and I was super duper hungry grin but I was still able to fast sha, thank God cheesy. During one of my lectures, the lecturer(a very funny dude) was telling us different stories about his growing up and stuff but I was able to notice something about him, he was fond of saying stories which in a way ended up about how we should try and live christianity instead of just having the tag, something clicked, I remember reading an article in which the writer was saying we didntt have to wait for a perfect opportunity before we become the christian student or the christian writer or the christian lecturer or the christian poet, every moment is an opportunity, the lecturer used his comic prowess to spread the message not minding whether muslim students were around or not. Now the million dollar question grin, Do u use ur talents to the glory of God, @striktlymi, thanx a bunch cheesy

No P!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Rich4god(m): 10:10pm On Feb 28, 2013
prairie: @richforGod, merci beaucoup smiley sleep tight dearies
You welcome my dear. Nice seeing you keeping up with your faith.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 9:07am On Mar 01, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 17: MARCH 1 2013[/size]

[size=18pt]CONTINUES.............[/size]
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 7:50am On Mar 02, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 18: MARCH 2 2013[/size]

History of Lent

Lent is a special time of prayer, penance, sacrifice and good works in preparation of the celebration of Easter. The word Lent itself is derived from the Anglo-Saxon words lencten, meaning "Spring," and lenctentid, which literally means not only "Springtide" but also was the word for "March," the month in which the majority of Lent falls.

The number "40" has always had special spiritual significance regarding preparation. On Mount Sinai, preparing to receive the Ten Commandments, "Moses stayed there with the Lord for 40 days and 40 nights, without eating any food or drinking any water" (Ex 34:28). Elijah walked "40 days and 40 nights" to the mountain of the Lord, Mount Horeb (another name for Sinai) (I Kgs 19:8/). Most importantly, Jesus fasted and prayed for "40 days and 40 nights" in the desert before He began His public ministry (Mt 4:2).

Since the earliest times of the Church, there is evidence of some kind of Lenten preparation for Easter. For instance, St. Irenaeus (d. 203) wrote to Pope St. Victor I, commenting on the celebration of Easter and the differences between practices in the East and the West: "The dispute is not only about the day, but also about the actual character of the fast. Some think that they ought to fast for one day, some for two, others for still more; some make their 'day' last 40 hours on end. Such variation in the observance did not originate in our own day, but very much earlier, in the time of our forefathers" (Eusebius, History of the Church, V, 24).

Lent becomes more regularized after the legalization of Christianity in A.D. 313. The Council of Nicea (325), in its disciplinary canons, noted that two provincial synods should be held each year, "one before the 40 days of Lent." St. Athanasius (d. 373) in this "Festal Letters" implored his congregation to make a 40-day fast prior to the more intense fasting of Holy Week. One can safely conclude that by the end of the fourth century, the 40-day period of Easter preparation known as Lent existed, and that prayer and fasting constituted its primary spiritual exercises.

For further reading see...http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0527.html

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Daily Fountain Devotional Guide 2022 (Anglican Communion) / Pastor Chris Oyakilome's Phone Number / Amazing Scientific Proof That Hell Exists.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.