Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,643 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. (13980 Views)

Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? / Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent / Chris Oyaks Embarks On 40 Days Fasting And Prayer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 7:47am On Mar 03, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 19: MARCH 3 2013[/size]

[size=18pt]CONTINUES.............[/size]
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Enigma(m): 8:07am On Mar 03, 2013
It is to be noted however that some traditions suspend fasting on Sundays. smiley
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 8:09am On Mar 03, 2013
Enigma: It is to be noted however that some traditions suspend fasting on Sundays. smiley

Yea but Dextra and some other persons prefer to fast on Sundays too.

Thanks for the observation!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Enigma(m): 8:15am On Mar 03, 2013
^^ Understood; more grace through Lent. smiley
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 8:22am On Mar 03, 2013
Enigma: ^^ Understood; more grace through Lent. smiley

Thanks! smiley
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 12:40pm On Mar 03, 2013
I dont fast on Sundays, I was trained to know it as a mini Easter, The day of our Lord's glory. Please can we add a decade of the rosary for the intentions of the catholic church and the selection process for a new pope. I was able to make stations on Friday for the first time this lent, and I was so sad when I realised what I ave been missing. My parish priest announced today that there will be stations of the cross by 7pm on Friday for workers who can't meet it by 5pm. Am so excited, I know am going to be a regular at that one. Am gonna try and read my bible and holy books more this season. So far I haven't been as faithful with my observances but today is the beginning of the rest of Lent. Happy Sunday people

1 Like

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 12:58pm On Mar 03, 2013
Good afternoon Diva,

math-diva:
I dont fast on Sundays, I was trained to know it as a mini Easter, The day of our Lord's glory.

For Catholics and probably some other denominations, Sundays are not days set aside for fasting but for those who would rather fast on Sundays, I am of the opinion that they should be encouraged to carry-on if they can.

math-diva:

Please can we add a decade of the rosary for the intentions of the catholic church and the selection process for a new pope.

This is a very good suggestion. I will say mine for that intention today. However, for those who might not be able to say a decade of the rosary, a simple prayer will suffice. What is important is that a prayer is said for the intention.

math-diva:

I was able to make stations on Friday for the first time this lent, and I was so sad when I realised what I ave been missing. My parish priest announced today that there will be stations of the cross by 7pm on Friday for workers who can't meet it by 5pm. Am so excited, I know am going to be a regular at that one. Am gonna try and read my bible and holy books more this season. So far I haven't been as faithful with my observances but today is the beginning of the rest of Lent. Happy Sunday people

The above is great. Kudos to your parish priest for considering the needs of workers. I look forward to a time where workers who can't afford to be at Sunday masses be given the opportunity of attending masses on Saturdays in line with the churches teachings. I am happy you were able to start up your lenten observance. We pray that our observance brings us closer to God.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 11:01am On Mar 04, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 20: MARCH 4 2013[/size]

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 3:27pm On Mar 05, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 21: MARCH 5 2013[/size]

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 9:59pm On Mar 05, 2013
Lent is almost halfway gone. Time to reflect on my resolutions.

1 Like

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 9:45am On Mar 06, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 22: MARCH 6 2013[/size]

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 8:42am On Mar 07, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 23: MARCH 7 2013[/size]

The seven deadly sins and the opposite virtue

As part of our lenten observance it would be great to take a cursory look at the life we live and determine those 'road blocks' on our way to living the kind of life God wants us to live. It is never easy being a Christian, we are faced with so many obstacles and the tendency for us to give in to the desires of the flesh is great but this does not imply that we cannot overcome this desires and live a spirit-filled life in Christ.

Christ never promised us a hitch-free journey...the road is narrow and very few attempt this journey with sincerity. Today I will like us to consider the following seven deadly sins and the opposite virtue and determine sincerely those we are guilty of (this should be a personal thing, no need to post any here) and for each sin let us attempt to forfeit it and replace each one with the corresponding virtue. It won't be easy but it can be done if indeed we burn with the love of Christ.

S/N.....SIN............................VIRTUE

1).........Lust...........................Chastity
2).........Gluttony.......................Temperance
3).........Greed..........................Charity
4).........Sloth..........................Diligence
5).........Anger..........................Patience
6).........Envy...........................Kindness
7).........Pride..........................Humility

1 Like

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by ooman(m): 10:09am On Mar 07, 2013
[size=20pt]STRIKY, YOU NO DEY TIRE? cry[/size]
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 10:22am On Mar 07, 2013
ooman: [size=20pt]STRIKY, YOU NO DEY TIRE? cry[/size]

In the voice of Logicboy: trololo...
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by ooman(m): 10:24am On Mar 07, 2013
striktlymi:

NA WA OOO!!!! tongue
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Ubenedictus(m): 5:27pm On Mar 07, 2013
ooman: [size=20pt]STRIKY, YOU NO DEY TIRE? cry[/size]
i must give the 11th commandment "thou shalt not tire"

1 Like

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 5:54pm On Mar 07, 2013
striktlymi:

[size=15pt]You are doing a good job Striktlymi, much better than I did. Please keep it up! We must keep updating this thread together and any other person who wishes to join. Thank you! [/size]
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 5:55pm On Mar 07, 2013
Dextra:

You are doing a good job Striktlymi, much better than I did. Please keep it up! We must keep updating this thread together and any other person who wishes to join. Thank you!

You are the source of inspiration here...hope you are back to continue from where you stopped?? cheesy
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 11:43am On Mar 08, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 24: MARCH 8 2013[/size]

The seven deadly sins

Lust (By Saint John Vianney)

Lust is the love of the pleasures that are contrary to purity.

No sin ruin and destroy a soul so quickly as this shameful sin; it snatches us out of the hands of the good God and hurls us like a stone into an abyss of mire and corruption. Once plunged in this mire, we cannot get out, we make a deeper hole in it every day, we sink lower and lower. Then we lose the faith, we laugh at the truths of religion, we no longer see Heaven, we do not fear Hell.

How much are they to be pitied who give way to this passion! How wretched they are! Their soul, which was so beautiful, which attracted the eyes of the good God, over which He leant as one leans over a perfumed rose, has become like a rotten carcass, of which the pestilential door rises even to His throne. . . .

http://acatholiclife..com/2006/08/on-lust-by-st-john-vianney.html
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Rich4god(m): 8:07pm On Mar 08, 2013
Good job striktlymi... Keep it up. Though i missed today's Stations cos i was on the road from warri to asaba. Have a nice a day.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 8:13pm On Mar 08, 2013
Rich4god: Good job striktlymi... Keep it up. Though i missed today's Stations cos i was on the road from warri to asaba. Have a nice a day.

Good evening Rich,

Trust your journey was swift!

It's great that you still had the stations of the cross in mind; even while you were in transit. I believe your heart and intent are known to God and he will surely reward you for it.

Thanks for being an inspiration!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 6:38am On Mar 09, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 25: MARCH 9 2013[/size]

The seven deadly sins

Gluttony (By St. John Vianney)

Gluttony is an inordinate love of eating and drinking.

We are gluttonous when we take food in excess, more than is required for the support of our poor body; when we drink beyond what is necessary, so as even to lose our senses and our reason. . . . Oh, how shameful is this vice! How it degrades us! See, it puts us below the brutes: the animals never drink more than to satisfy their thirst: they content themselves with eating enough; and we, when we have satisfied our appetite, when our body can bear no more, we still have recourse to all sorts of little delicacies; we take wine and liquors to repletion! Is it not pitiful? We can no longer keep upon our legs; we fall, we roll into the ditch and into the mud, we become the laughing stock of everyone, even the sport of little children. . . .

We should gain a great deal for Heaven at our meals; we should deprive ourselves of many little things which, without being hurtful to our body, would be very pleasing to the good God; but we choose rather to satisfy our taste than to please God; we drown, we stifle our soul in wine and food. My children, God will not say to us at the Day of Judgment, "Give Me an account of thy body"; but, "Give Me an account of thy soul; what hast thou done with it?" . . . What shall we answer Him? Do we take as much care of our soul as of our body? O my children! let us no longer live for the pleasure of eating; let us live as the saints have done; let us mortify ourselves as they were mortified. The saints never indulged themselves in the pleasures of good cheer. Their pleasure was to feed on Jesus Christ! Let us follow their footsteps on this earth, and we shall gain the crown which they have in Heaven.

http://acatholiclife..com/2006/08/on-gluttony-by-st-john-vianney.html
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 8:30pm On Mar 09, 2013
Does gluttony apply to food and drink only?
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 8:38pm On Mar 09, 2013
math-diva:
Does gluttony apply to food and drink only?

That's just the basic stuff but it is possible to apply it to other areas.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Dextra(f): 7:43pm On Mar 10, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 26: March 10, 2013
Lent Continues.....
[/size]
I know a lot of people do not fast on Sundays but others like me do. I hope you all had a glorious Weekend. I wish you God's Presence in this new week!
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 10:04am On Mar 11, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 27: March 11, 2013
Lent Continues.....
[/size]

The seven deadly sins

Greed

Avarice (from Latin avarus, "greedy"; "to crave".) is the inordinate love for riches. Its special malice, broadly speaking, lies in that it makes the getting and keeping of money, possessions, and the like, a purpose in itself to live for. It does not see that these things are valuable only as instruments for the conduct of a rational and harmonious life, due regard being paid of course to the special social condition in which one is placed.

It is called a capital vice because it has as its object that for the gaining or holding of which many other sins are committed. It is more to be dreaded in that it often cloaks itself as a virtue, or insinuates itself under the pretext of making a decent provision for the future. In so far as avarice is an incentive to injustice in acquiring and retaining of wealth, it is frequently a grievous sin.

In itself, however, and in so far as it implies simply an excessive desire of, or pleasure in, riches, it is commonly not a mortal sin.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02148b.htm
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 12:39pm On Mar 12, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 28: March 12, 2013
[/size]

[size=15pt]Lent Continues.....[/size]

The seven deadly sins

Sloth

Sloth is the neglect of one's duties, spiritual or temporal, through laziness.

The rule of the universe is activity; life and movement may be found in all nature. The slothful man is the exception; and he by his laziness goes against nature.
"Go to the ant, O sluggard, and consider her ways, and learn wisdom" (Prov. 6:6). The slothful keep putting off doing anything till tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow, which often never comes.

Many complain of hard luck, but often misfortunes come from laziness. The virtues of diligence and zeal are opposed to sloth. Even on earth, most rewards go only to the industrious and energetic.

Spiritual sloth is called lukewarmness. It is also called tepidity. The lukewarm person would like to have the rewards given by God, but will not move a finger to serve Him. As soon as it is necessary to exert himself, he shrinks from the effort. Great Sinners have been known to become great saints, but the lukewarm, never. Holy Scripture says: "I would that thou wert cold or hot. But because thou an lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I am about to vomit thee out of my mouth" (Apoc. 3:15,16).

Sloth leads to many sins; idleness begets vice. The lazy neglect good works.

http://www.catholicbook.com/AgredaCD/MyCatholicFaith/mcfc026.htm
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Ubenedictus(m): 12:15am On Mar 13, 2013
Thanks for that.
Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 10:29am On Mar 13, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 29: March 13, 2013
[/size]

The seven deadly sins

Anger

Anger is a strong feeling of displeasure, combined with a desire to inflict punishment on the offender.

An angry man loses his reason. In anger a man will do what he afterwards regrets. From anger arise hatred, revenge, (quarreling, blasphemy, contumely, and murder. The virtues of patience and meekness are opposed to anger. Anger, or wrath, is a temporary madness. A man with this vice flies into a rage at every little thing. He always puts the blame of his anger on others, and even when he is alone he gets angry.

Wilful murder, one of the "sins that cry to heaven for vengeance," arises from anger.

When the first willful murder took place, and Cain killed his brother Abel, God said to Cain, "The voice of thy brother's blood crieth to me from the earth" (Gen. 4:10).

He who indulges in anger injures his health, becomes hated, incurs damnation. Many men have had a stroke of paralysis brought on by anger; some have even died. If anger is so hurtful to the body, how much more to the soul!

When we feel ourselves becoming angry, we should never speak or act, but try to calm ourselves by prayer. St. Francis de Sales said: "I have made an agreement with my tongue never to utter a word while my heart is excited." "Let every man be slow to speak and slow to wrath" (Jas. 1:19).

If we should be so unhappy as to have offended anyone by our anger, we should hasten to apologize. "Do not let the sun go down upon your anger" (Ephes. 4:26). A just anger against sin and injustice is praiseworthy. We may hate the sin, but not the sinner. Christ had this just wrath when He drove the sellers from the Temple. Holy Scripture says, "Be angry and do not sin" (Ephes. 4:26).

2 Likes

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 8:56pm On Mar 13, 2013
Congrats to us all Catholics. God has raised up for us a leader. Let us keep praying for our church. :a humble and intelligent man, a holy man .l love my faith. My Faith, My Pride

3 Likes

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 9:34am On Mar 14, 2013
[size=20pt]DAY 30: March 14, 2013
[/size]

The seven deadly sins

Envy

Envy is a bitter feeling at the excellence or good fortune of those who are better or happier, with a desire to rob them of what they have.

Envy consists in discontent or anger at the success of another, as though it were evil to oneself. It also consists in rejoicing over another's misfortune, as if it were a good to oneself. Envy is against the commandment of God to love our neighbor. It is the mark of the petty mind and the hard heart. The devil envied Adam and Eve in Paradise; Cain envied Abel, whose offering was pleasing to God. Some are, so envious that they even envy the holiness of others, but without any desire or attempt at imitation. This was the case with the Pharisees, and their envy led them to plot the death of Jesus Christ.

Envy leads to calumny, gossip, detraction, hatred, scandal, and other sins. An envious man looks on everything with malice; as a result his envy does not even make himself happy, but destroys his peace of heart. The sons of Jacob were envious of their brother Joseph because he was the favorite son. Their envy led them to sell him into Egypt. Often the envy in a man's heart causes him to be so soured on the world that he sells himself for nothing to the devil.

A form of envy, one of the greatest sins, is envy at another's spiritual good. This is a most diabolical sin; it shows that the sinner has closed his heart against the charity of God, and instead houses God's enemy, Satan. The virtue opposed to envy is charity, or brotherly love.

Re: Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. by Nobody: 9:51am On Mar 14, 2013
Just one question: I heard y'all are supposed to stay off meat during this period. Is this true? Are there any health benefits to it? What do you supplement your meals with then?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

7 Ways To Practice Effective Evangelism / Pastor Adefarasin Declares Self A Billionaire / True Information About Water Spirits And How You Are Affected: Know The Truth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.